Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
seeing that author comment page takes me back

to the time when Viz refused to pick up My Hero Academia despite it doing well in Japan with good toc placement and amazing first 2 volumes sales
meanwhile picking up the legendary Hi Fi Cluster immediately from ch1

and now MHA is Viz label best selling comic and no one remembers Hi Fi Cluster (except sharkbait)
that goes to show you Viz is filled with incompetent morons disguising as "manga experts"

some of their "experts" in their podcast have not read fucking Dragon Ball

when they launched M+ and had to do the entire magazine for their podcast most of the "experts" didn't now what were the titles, the characters, their plots
they jumped into the manga with the most recent chapters and assume they actually understand it!
I can't believe MHA wasn't something they tried picking up immediately given how popular superhero franchises are not just in the West, but basically globally. They could've easily piggy-backed off of the global popularity of many of the Marvel movies for people who were looking to get a weekly dose for their superhero fix
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
seeing that author comment page takes me back

to the time when Viz refused to pick up My Hero Academia despite it doing well in Japan with good toc placement and amazing first 2 volumes sales
meanwhile picking up the legendary Hi Fi Cluster immediately from ch1

and now MHA is Viz label best selling comic and no one remembers Hi Fi Cluster (except sharkbait)
that goes to show you Viz is filled with incompetent morons disguising as "manga experts"

some of their "experts" in their podcast have not read fucking Dragon Ball

when they launched M+ and had to do the entire magazine for their podcast most of the "experts" didn't now what were the titles, the characters, their plots
they jumped into the manga with the most recent chapters and assume they actually understand it!
What happened to Ippei Gotou even? Left Shueisha/manga world?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
What happened to Ippei Gotou even? Left Shueisha/manga world?
they did a boxing oneshot in 2015 and then nothing after that

this is their twitter
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Just decided to check Twitter for Double Taisei, and it seems like there've been a pretty good amount of Tweets from Japanese readers mentioning that Double Taisei has been pretty interesting lately. None of the Tweets have a ton of activity (likes, retweets), but there were more there than I was originally expecting. Still means little in the grand scheme of things, but at least it seems like the reception is starting to improve in Japan as well
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Just decided to check Twitter for Double Taisei, and it seems like there've been a pretty good amount of Tweets from Japanese readers mentioning that Double Taisei has been pretty interesting lately. None of the Tweets have a ton of activity (likes, retweets), but there were more there than I was originally expecting. Still means little in the grand scheme of things, but at least it seems like the reception is starting to improve in Japan as well
The problem is that it is already too late to save Taisei. The manga sold less than TSS and Kamio yui, so it's hard to believe the jump will hold him until the second volume.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
The problem is that it is already too late to save Taisei. The manga sold less than TSS and Kamio yui, so it's hard to believe the jump will hold him until the second volume.
Yeah, that's the problem I was already aware of, and I've already accepted the inevitable. If they end Kamio Yui even if there's series still selling lower than it, it'd basically be the same thing they did for Hungry Marie and Robot x Laserbeam, except on a much smaller scale (especially looking at Robot's sales). I'm not too sure when another serialization round will start up, but if it's only 2 series, I'd like to see it somehow pull the ultimate miracle and escape. We still have a couple more issues until we can check that MangaPlus ID thing, right?
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Yeah, that's the problem I was already aware of, and I've already accepted the inevitable. If they end Kamio Yui even if there's series still selling lower than it, it'd basically be the same thing they did for Hungry Marie and Robot x Laserbeam, except on a much smaller scale (especially looking at Robot's sales). I'm not too sure when another serialization round will start up, but if it's only 2 series, I'd like to see it somehow pull the ultimate miracle and escape. We still have a couple more issues until we can check that MangaPlus ID thing, right?
I think we know it's good for the next two chapters.

But yeah, definitely get the sense that he's already got word from his editor to wrap things up.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I read three series today: Samurai 8, One Piece and Yozakura.
One Piece and Yozakura had the "out of nowhere" chapters where Oda introduced more plot out nowhere, I was expecting the battle in Wano now, but we have a equally interesting thing going on now. I hope he shows the new battles as well because, man... I don't know whether I've ever seen Mihawk fighting serisouly, or even Boa Hancock, so looking forward to it.
Yozakura also came with something more or less out of nowhere, it started in the middle of an event to explain afterward. It seems it will be the first big mission for Taiyo. I hope they are not accelerating things because the series is going badly at the TOC.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Yeah, that's the problem I was already aware of, and I've already accepted the inevitable. If they end Kamio Yui even if there's series still selling lower than it, it'd basically be the same thing they did for Hungry Marie and Robot x Laserbeam, except on a much smaller scale (especially looking at Robot's sales). I'm not too sure when another serialization round will start up, but if it's only 2 series, I'd like to see it somehow pull the ultimate miracle and escape. We still have a couple more issues until we can check that MangaPlus ID thing, right?
I don't feel that Double taisei and TSS are ending, unlike beast children.
But there is a question about the next lot of series, as there is still the empty space of Souma and we have no indication of the return of HxH or GFC.
And I know if it would be possible to debut a 4 manga lot again this year or even worse 5 manga.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I don't feel that Double taisei and TSS are ending, unlike beast children.
But there is a question about the next lot of series, as there is still the empty space of Souma and we have no indication of the return of HxH or GFC.
And I know if it would be possible to debut a 4 manga lot again this year or even worse 5 manga.
If they don't do something before the end of the serialization year, I could imagine them doing a 4-series new serialization round minimum by eliminating the 3 newbies and Yui Kamio, plus apparently TPN is quickly approaching its conclusion, WNL seems like it could potentially wind down, both the newest series could bomb, and there's the Yuuna wildcard.

The WSJ lineup was shaken up quite a bit during 2019 with some long-running series ending, and I could imagine 2020 being pretty similarly in terms of a few popular series wrapping things up.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura also came with something more or less out of nowhere, it started in the middle of an event to explain afterward. It seems it will be the first big mission for Taiyo. I hope they are not accelerating things because the series is going badly at the TOC.
It seems like a pretty common complaint about the batch of series before Yozakura/Mitama (Samurai 8, Beast, Taisei, TSS) is that they all either progressed too slowly, or never escalated to a point that they were interesting.

I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment, but maybe seeing people saying that about other series motivated Yozakura Family to accelerate pre-emptively. That way, people theoretically stay hooked before they grow dissatisfied with the pacing.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeh sure, I have no problem with personal taste but for the manga itself, Idk man. if we were living in 2013, sure.. but this manga is so outdated, the way of writing and all dont appeal in this gen. I knew it wouldnt survive when I saw it launch. I give props how great the mc is created.
2013 is outdated to you? this is the year BNHA started kkkkkk, i don't see what its so outdated about Kamio Yui and i don't even think this is much of a valid argument when talking about a manga selling, the manga industry is filled with "outdated" mangas selling good/great and to be very honest, if Kamio Yui is "outdated" for this current "generation", i think this speaks more about the generation than about the series and i'm not even saying the manga is great or something like that.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Gokutei Higuma, The Last Saiyuki and even Samurai 8 all had complaints that the pace was slow. And now you complain that yozakura family is at a fast pace?
People decide because when they cancel they are sad that the jump did not give opportunities.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It seems like a pretty common complaint about the batch of series before Yozakura/Mitama (Samurai 8, Beast, Taisei, TSS) is that they all either progressed too slowly, or never escalated to a point that they were interesting.

I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment, but maybe seeing people saying that about other series motivated Yozakura Family to accelerate pre-emptively. That way, people theoretically stay hooked before they grow dissatisfied with the pacing.
I think I didn't complain about the pace of the past series, they were just not interesting enough, the pace is very relative. I read series from other magazines where there is more liberty to take your time, there is nowhere with more pressure than Jump after all. The development may be slow, but it is interesting. Slow pace doesn't mean boring.

As for the pacing of Yozakura, it was very normal to me so far, it is not rushed, it just that since the chapter started in the middle of something to explain afterward there was that feeling that I was lost, but the previous chapter already gave clues that a new development would happen so it was very natural. However it is very common to see somewhat sudden developments when the series is going badly, but I don't think it is Yozakura case, too fluid to be the case.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Gokutei Higuma, The Last Saiyuki and even Samurai 8 all had complaints that the pace was slow. And now you complain that yozakura family is at a fast pace?
People decide because when they cancel they are sad that the jump did not give opportunities.
Higuma wasn't slow paced. It's just that it never took off with the plot and resorted to fodder villians in the first and majority of the second volume. At least, until the mangaka suddenly introduced the final boss/backstory flashback arc because of the poor reception.

Also, Higuma had a giant problem up to that point: lack of goal/endgame. And useless side characters.
 

SalesNerd69

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
196
Reaction score
211
Age
28
Country
India
Which do you think ends first: OP or MHA?
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Which do you think ends first: OP or MHA?
I'd put my money on MHA ending first, but I think it could be close. I could definitely see MHA running around 10 years(at least) if Horikoshi wanted to in any case.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,489
Reaction score
39,503
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I didn't find this Yozakura chapter that much fast or even rushed, it was pretty clear that the author wanted the readers to be as confused as Taiyo about what was happening and everything was well explained after, isn't like the author just introduced something special or a very important group of characters out of nowhere.

Mitama Secureity is getting really good to be honest, each chapter is funnier than the last one, after you get used to the character's personalities, they start to become more charismatic and funnier, i wouldn't mind if the manga survives if keeps like that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top