Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I’m almost sure that the movie will get a US Theatrical run not too far behind the Japanese release date, so I highly doubt we’d have to wait til the blu ray release before we can see it lol

These days anime films with even a small amount of hype pretty much always get theater runs in America
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
I’m almost sure that the movie will get a US Theatrical run not too far behind the Japanese release date, so I highly doubt we’d have to wait til the blu ray release before we can see it lol
Not everybody lives in the US nor is willing to drive to the next town 3 hours away to see the movie. If this movie doesn't get released on the usual streaming services then it's a punch in the face of western fans.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Honestly, I don't mind the train arc having a film adaptation, especially if it's a little under two hours long. However, I wouldn't be happy with the Red Light District arc getting the same treatment. That arc is too long to fit into a movie.
Unless the Red Light district is a duology.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I’m almost sure that the movie will get a US Theatrical run not too far behind the Japanese release date, so I highly doubt we’d have to wait til the blu ray release before we can see it lol

These days anime films with even a small amount of hype pretty much always get theater runs in America
Aniplex seems to forget Canada exists outside Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto and sometimes Halifax, none of which are anywhere near me.
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
So, about the MARVEL one shots thing. Do we have any news about them? When they start coming out?
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Man, the movie announcement will almost certainly slow down momentum in the US. This isn’t like HeroAca where they launched a movie alongside the anime. (I wonder if Yaiba has become bigger than HeroAca now...)

Still, it’ll definitely look pretty, and the arc is covering has received a lot of praise, but I don’t trust Aniplex to really handle the movie’s Western release well.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Man, the movie announcement will almost certainly slow down momentum in the US. This isn’t like HeroAca where they launched a movie alongside the anime. (I wonder if Yaiba has become bigger than HeroAca now...)

Still, it’ll definitely look pretty, and the arc is covering has received a lot of praise, but I don’t trust Aniplex to really handle the movie’s Western release well.
MHA's movies are also filler while this is adapting the next arc so unless they make the first few episodes of S2 redo this arc anyone who isn't able to see the movie either has to read a couple volumes of the manga or read the arc synopsis on a wiki lol
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
That's actually not quite true.
Here are the 5 volumes the closest ever to a One Piece volume according to Oricon:
n°5 - 2009
One Piece 55: 1,810,410
Nana 21: 1,505,575

Difference: -304,835

n°4 - 2013
One Piece 72: 2,354,005
Attack on Titan 9: 1,950,807

Difference: -303,298

n°3 - 2016
One Piece 83: 2,287,521
Attack on Titan 18: 1,983,248

Difference: -204,273

n°2 - 2008
One Piece 49: 1,544,000
Nana 20: 1,431,335

Difference: -112,665

n°1 - 2008
One Piece 49: 1,544,000
Nana 19: 1,645,128

Difference: +101,128 (!)
(The other One Piece volumes of 2008 sold the following :
One Piece 50: 1,678,208
One Piece 51: 1,646,978)

While Oricon's 2008 numbers are less than reliable, it still seems like Nana did give One Piece a run for its money, meaning that pre-boost One Piece did not dominate the market that hard.
Moreover, One Piece exploded in popularity in 2010-2011, Attack on Titan came close to it after, not before, thanks to its 2013 boost. And that's not even all, since the closest AoT ever came to One Piece (Edit: I'm talking about sales per volume) was in 2016, way after both of their boosts!
Oh awesome. I actually had no idea about Nana being so close.
But if anything, this just proves my point even more. Having another hit like OP or SD isn't impossible. It'll be super rare and hard but it's not impossible.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
New Jump+ series Suito-to! has started today.


is it ecchi or based on a novel? I don't think Manga+ has picked up anything since Dear Sa-chan back in July and they seem to have skipped this one.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
is it ecchi or based on a novel? I don't think Manga+ has picked up anything since Dear Sa-chan back in July and they seem to have skipped this one.
Not an ecchi, nor based on a novel. The problem is...
that it features a yuri kiss at the end of the chapter. This one was never going to be picked by up MangaPlus.

Koi Goku no Toshi is heavily ecchi, 5 Tears is a gag... Dosanko Gyaru is Mega Cute was probably the best recent shot for a MangaPlus serialization and it didn't happen. At least Edited Manga picked both Koi Goku and Dosanko.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Not an ecchi, nor based on a novel. The problem is...
that it features a yuri kiss at the end of the chapter. This one was never going to be picked by up MangaPlus.
I mean they picked up Blue Flag which I guess doesn't feature gay kissing but multiple gay characters so I don't think it would have been impossible. Hopefully that means they have something else coming soon (no idea what's coming in October if we even know)
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
Naruto has gay kissing
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I mean they picked up Blue Flag which I guess doesn't feature gay kissing but multiple gay characters so I don't think it would have been impossible. Hopefully that means they have something else coming soon (no idea what's coming in October if we even know)
I am guessing they separate yaoi and yuri here? Also, like you said Blue Flag is a very tame manga in that regard (so far).
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Interesting. I wonder if this will become a trend. If they're doing the train arc as a movie, then I could definitely picture the Red Light District arc as a movie too.
I think they are going to do it as a movie because the Demon Train Arc is actually rather short, while the Red Light District Arc and the Swordsmith Village Arc can both fill up a whole season, which we'll probably see in S2.

MHA's movies are also filler while this is adapting the next arc so unless they make the first few episodes of S2 redo this arc anyone who isn't able to see the movie either has to read a couple volumes of the manga or read the arc synopsis on a wiki lol
They might pull a DBS or not, but I think they won't to be honest.

KnY has 12 million in print
Wonderful. It was at 8 million just a few months ago and maybe it can add another million until the end of the fiscal year. Taking that these print numbers are counting the next issue's release, if backlog sales stay steady, it can happen.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm rereading Spy x Family thanks to ESJ picking it up and it is extraordinary how this is good. When I like something a lot I try to understand why this is so good. It is easy to know why something is bad, but it is not that easy to understand why something is good, that's why we don't have hits coming up that often. In the case of Spy x Family the three main characters and how the interact is most important aspect, they are so unique and their interaction is so unique that it is interesting to see how they come out of the situations, it is a very exotic trio, that's for sure. But even the side characters are great, which makes everybody better. Nothing seems out of place and has a very harmony in all chapters. It was a well thought series to make the characters look great. Lloid mission is just the background for all this so far. In the end, it is great and it is hard to explain why.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,721
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Is Kimetsu the first Jump title to animate in a movie a manga arc? The other Jump movies I recall are always the type of ''original anime'' movies.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Is Kimetsu the first Jump title to animate in a movie a manga arc? The other Jump movies I recall are always the type of ''original anime'' movies.
One Piece has a few, but the movies were made years after the arcs debuted in the TV anime
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top