Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Gintama 1st movie readapted the Benizakura Arc but it was adapted in the anime as well
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
They will have to manage it very well so that it doesn't spoil the enjoyment of a second season because not all people can or want to go watch a movie and then after that some people may not understand the second season if they don't do at least a summary of the arc adapted into the movie. Well...
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Speaking of Jump+ and Manga+, Dricam yesterday put out a message saying the manga's in its final chapters. Considering the frequency of releases my guess is it'll maybe end towards the end of October.

I wonder if manga+ will pick up a new sports series (or a new vertical manga) to replace it.
 

Aiga

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2018
Messages
105
Reaction score
267
Age
28
Country
Egypt
They will have to manage it very well so that it doesn't spoil the enjoyment of a second season because not all people can or want to go watch a movie and then after that some people may not understand the second season if they don't do at least a summary of the arc adapted into the movie. Well...
If they are smart then they could rearrange the movie into 4-5 episodes at the start of S2(if announced) because otherwise i can see the popularity decreasing outside of japan.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Weirdly enough, I think plot-driven manga can do better with somewhat forgettable characters than with strong but unlikable ones. The Promised Neverland and Summer Time Rendering both have characters that don't stand out that much, but it works because for most of the story the mystery takes the spotlight and you care about them enough that you want them to survive. Shiki and Killer Instinct on the other hand have some more prominent and developed characters (IMO), but most of them are insufferable *****, so I kind of lost interest because I wanted them all to just go die in a ditch.
All stories can be improved by good character writing. Summer Time Rendering "works" because the "mystery takes the spotlight" but that doesn't mean it's not hundreds of times worse than Higurashi (which the author of STR must be a fanboy of), which has much better characters, which are used in a way to get you even deeper into the mystery.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
All stories can be improved by good character writing. Summer Time Rendering "works" because the "mystery takes the spotlight" but that doesn't mean it's not hundreds of times worse than Higurashi (which the author of STR must be a fanboy of), which has much better characters, which are used in a way to get you even deeper into the mystery.
Higurashi is a VN which takes 50+ hours to read through, of course the amount of detail with the characters is going to be much greater compared to a single manga with less than 10 volumes.

That said, Summer Time Rendering does remind me a lot of classic PC-98 ADV games. Wonder if that was the inspiration?
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Higurashi is a VN which takes 50+ hours to read through, of course the amount of detail with the characters is going to be much greater compared to a single manga with less than 10 volumes.

That said, Summer Time Rendering does remind me a lot of classic PC-98 ADV games. Wonder if that was the inspiration?
My point is that I find Summer Time Rendering to be shallow.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
4,784
Country
Dragonstone
The manga industry did get the "next big thing" with Shingeki no Kyojin. It just wasn't WSJ or even Shueisha. It has sold 80 million in Japan in the last 10 years and if it survives for another 10
It will most likely end within the next 2 years, and in general, its star is fading. Though you are right, it was the "next big thing" for a good chunk of time.

Though I still think the "Jump should never have rejected AoT!" bandwagoners.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I’m pretty sure in the US the movie will have a very hyped theatrical release, with packed theaters.

And I’d imagine it’d be on streaming or Toonami or something sometime before a Season 2 release. Unless season 2 is releasing in spring 2020, which I’d imagine isn’t happening now do to the movie, I think ppl will probably have a means of seeing the movie before any season 2 airs.

Unless we have to wait like 3 years for a season 2, I doubt hype will drop off a lot. And even then, series like Attack On Titan regained its hype with a quality season
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I’m pretty sure in the US the movie will have a very hyped theatrical release, with packed theaters.

And I’d imagine it’d be on streaming or Toonami or something sometime before a Season 2 release. Unless season 2 is releasing in spring 2020, which I’d imagine isn’t happening now do to the movie, I think ppl will probably have a means of seeing the movie before any season 2 airs.

Unless we have to wait like 3 years for a season 2, I doubt hype will drop off a lot. And even then, series like Attack On Titan regained its hype with a quality season
Kimetsu no Yaiba will be airing on Toonami on October 12th. It'll be replacing Dragon Ball Super, I think, so we'll see how that goes.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Higurashi is a VN which takes 50+ hours to read through, of course the amount of detail with the characters is going to be much greater compared to a single manga with less than 10 volumes.

That said, Summer Time Rendering does remind me a lot of classic PC-98 ADV games. Wonder if that was the inspiration?
So you still not gonna explain that drstone gonna live for "8 months based on how the current arc is gonna be" with other titles ending this year. Stop clowning without proper back-up :eyeroll
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
If they are smart then they could rearrange the movie into 4-5 episodes at the start of S2(if announced) because otherwise i can see the popularity decreasing outside of japan.
You can't waste 5 episodes out of 25 on something like that. DBS could get away with it because it was long-running plus Dragon Ball fans are used to padding. And even then it almost killed Super before it even began properly.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
So you still not gonna explain that drstone gonna live for "8 months based on how the current arc is gonna be" with other titles ending this year. Stop clowning without proper back-up :eyeroll
What's there really needed to explain? The current arc is almost over and, provided there's no random intrusions, there's really no much else to go towards other than a concluding arc resolving the central mystery. Stone's arc are hardly very long anyway.
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
We're both Shimabu fans, so you can trust my opinion. Read it. Read it now and enjoy.
I finally gave in and got caught up last week but couldnt update you since I was busy irl for the week. I had such a blast reading CSM & was amazed by how hype the manga is & even with handling slice of life moments. It has a bunch of great characters & Denji is surprisingly relateable. I was initially turned off by how edgy it was (it still is but not as annoying I imagined it to be) and with that puke chapter turning me off even further but I'm glad I took your advice and read the series.

I never read a series from Fujimoto but I love how unpredictable the manga can get. Since you recommended me CSM, I'd recommend you to read Jigokuraku as a Shimabu fan :thumbs . I think I told you before you to read it but if you havent then check it out. I find it to be the best manga in Jump+ rn and easily one of my fav series. Fun fact, the creator for Jigokuraku (Yuuji Kaku) was an assistant for Fujimoto's Fire Punch manga. Im sure you will love it
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hinomaru Sumo epilogue will be publishing 04/10 on Shônen Jump +. Will be about a wedding ceremony
What a glorious day to get this news & the demon train arc being adapted into a movie. I would prefer it to be in a seasonal format but since demon train is arguably the best arc in the series then I guess its not a bad decision at all. Very exciting news.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
The one sad thing about Hinomaru getting an official epilogue is that I'll no longer be able to say that Donald Trump appeared on the last page of a Jump manga to give the protagonist an award.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top