Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
oh, i see new poll is up, here is my response

couldn't care less
We are two, it's not worth it, gonna wait for the next batch and move on.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
If we achieve 1000 pages this year, it will be mostly due to all the pointless arguments surrounding Samurai 8.
Those samurai 8 covers are beautiful. My only nitpick is the boring font they used.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Man, One Piece this week was something else, what a way to turn on the engines. Wano arc hasn't been boring at all, but Oda making it looks like it with the things happening outside of Wano. Looking forward to seeing how everything comes together in the end.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is nothing new, Kimetsu has always had a strong twitter/social media following. I very well remember Kimetsu's twitter beating BC's follower count even before the Kimetsu anime was announced.
All this shows is that Kimetsu's following mostly dwells on twitter or the marketing campaign surveys that website over others. Its still behind MHA and TPN on other platforms
Also its no surprise either as Kimetsu's episodes trended worldwide, episode 19 & the finale being big examples of that. I dont recall TPN/MHA having that level of success with their anime.
Heroaca had worldwide trends for every other episode during its second and third season and TPN also had trended for its first episode and last episode. People always seem to forget when something gets widespread attention immediately after its over but it says a lot when episode 19 is the only episode of Kimetsu everyone ever talks about.

Just goes to show how unreliable something like twitter is to measure the popularity of something and I'm not talking about just manga but the entertainment industry overall.
And to further prove this the OP official twitter account has has less followers than Kimetsu, Haikyuu and MHA. Now I'm pretty sure Kimetsu isn't more popular than OP, $21 billion franchise that has lasted for two decades, and I'm pretty sure OPs fanbase consist of more than 300k people. Always remember that Twitter is just one of many platforms available and one that only as recently as 4 years ago garnered a sizable userbase and they're still people who don't even know what it is yet have a facebook and instagram account.
 
Last edited:

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
All this shows is that Kimetsu's following mostly dwells on twitter or the marketing campaign surveys that website over others. Its still behind MHA and TPN on other platforms

Heroaca had worldwide trends for every other episode during its second and third season and TPN also had trended for its first episode and last episode. People always seem to forget when something gets widespread attention immediately after its over but it says a lot when episode 19 is the only episode of Kimetsu everyone ever talks about.


And to further prove this the OP official twitter account has has less followers than Kimetsu, Haikyuu and MHA. Now I'm pretty sure Kimetsu isn't more popular than OP and I'm pretty sure OPs fanbase consist of more than 300k people. Always remember that Twitter is just one of many platforms available and one that only as recently as 4 years ago garnered a sizable userbase and they're still people who don't even know what it is yet have a facebook and instagram account.
I think you should consider that Bnha already was on everyone's mind because of the manga and first season. So it was expected to be a trend a few more times for the following seasons.

Only tpn and kny have manage to be a trend worldwide several times with only their first season.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Only tpn and kny have manage to be a trend worldwide several times with only their first season.
Can't argue with that. Though I feel its due to Anitwitter's ever growing presence as the years go on and anime companies in general being more 1:1 with fans in terms of content. Japan in general was way behind a lot of others and most of its more popular franchises only recently started twitter accounts and the very notion of an anime trending worldwide wasn't really a thing until Kemono Friends in 2017. Haikyuu didn't have worldwide trends back then neither did Kuroko and Dragonball Super didn't trend worldwide until it was nearly over.
 
Last edited:

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
This is probably the most accurate way to measure online popularity, since it doesn't really on specific social media platforms. (As long as google is as widespread in Japan as in the rest of the world.) Also maybe should add One Piece and something like Black Clover for more control.

Wait a minute. Did you use the English names? Those numbers seem way too small.
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wait a minute. Did you use the English names? Those numbers seem way too small.
There's also the fact that a lot of these series have abbreviations or their English names are more searched than their Japanese ones.
 

Rouk'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
144
Reaction score
664
Age
27
Country
France
This is probably the most accurate way to measure online popularity, since it doesn't really on specific social media platforms. (As long as google is as widespread in Japan as in the rest of the world.) Also maybe should add One Piece and something like Black Clover for more control.

Wait a minute. Did you use the English names? Those numbers seem way too small.
There's also the fact that a lot of these series have abbreviations or their English names are more searched than their Japanese ones.
As far as I can tell, google's algorithm takes care of those issues. When you write the japanese name, such as "鬼滅の刃 ", you are given a choice:
"鬼滅の刃
search term"
or
"Kimetsu no Yaiba
Manga series"

I think the first one strictly checks for the number of time those specific words were googled, while the second is a more complex algorithm that tries to take into account stuff such as abbreviations, typos, synonyms, etc. The second is likely written in English because google recognizes that I'm not japanese, but the results should be the same.
I might be wrong though

Edit: Also, those numbers can't be "small", it's all relative to each other: it checks when the peak happened and which series did it and then draws a graph based on that. "100" is the peak, the rest is all just proportions. It's not a graph that uses a unit such as "number of time this item was searched"

Edit2: I can't add One Piece because it's too high, it becomes too hard to see the difference between the other manga. On the other hand, Black Clover has the opposite issue, it's too low to be compared with those manga I've chosen
 
Last edited:

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
As far as I can tell, google's algorithm takes care of those issues. When you write the japanese name, such as "鬼滅の刃 ", you are given a choice:
"鬼滅の刃
search term"
or
"Kimetsu no Yaiba
Manga series"

I think the first one strictly checks for the number of time those specific words were googled, while the second is a more complex algorithm that tries to take into account stuff such as abbreviations, typos, synonyms, etc. The second is likely written in English because google recognizes that I'm not japanese, but the results should be the same.
I might be wrong though

Edit: Also, those numbers can't be "small", it's all relative to each other: it checks when the peak happened and which series did it and then draws a graph based on that. "100" is the peak, the rest is all just proportions. It's not a graph that uses a unit such as "number of time this item was searched"

Edit2: I can't add One Piece because it's too high, it becomes too hard to see the difference between the other manga. On the other hand, Black Clover has the opposite issue, it's too low to be compared with those manga I've chosen
Oh. This is an excelent source then.

And it's pretty hilarious how this translates almost 1:1 to manga sales.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
All this shows is that Kimetsu's following mostly dwells on twitter or the marketing campaign surveys that website over others. Its still behind MHA and TPN on other platforms

Heroaca had worldwide trends for every other episode during its second and third season and TPN also had trended for its first episode and last episode. People always seem to forget when something gets widespread attention immediately after its over but it says a lot when episode 19 is the only episode of Kimetsu everyone ever talks about.


And to further prove this the OP official twitter account has has less followers than Kimetsu, Haikyuu and MHA. Now I'm pretty sure Kimetsu isn't more popular than OP, $21 billion franchise that has lasted for two decades, and I'm pretty sure OPs fanbase consist of more than 300k people. Always remember that Twitter is just one of many platforms available and one that only as recently as 4 years ago garnered a sizable userbase and they're still people who don't even know what it is yet have a facebook and instagram account.
I know...Twitter follower counts dont mean a lot but I had to point out that on twitter especially Kimetsu had a strong following.

True. I remember a lot of season 2 moments like Deku vs Todoroki really blew up on twitter. I forgot about those moments.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I know...Twitter follower counts dont mean a lot but I had to point out that on twitter especially Kimetsu had a strong following.
I always bring up the fact that the anime announcement trended on twitter a year prior which was only like 3 seconds of footage. Kimetsu had a really big following before the anime even aired hell Rengoku trended worldwide on twitter last Saturday and animeonlies don't even know why its such a big deal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top