Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Shiibashi and Horikoshi seem really happy to have Tanaka (Summer Time Rendering) being published in Jump along with them:

Horikoshi: My dream of being in the same issue of Jump as my mentor Tanaka Sensei has come true! I can't believe it!

Shiibashi: I'm happy to be able to be with Yasuki Tanaka Sensei in Jump again. At the same time, I'm motivated to do well.

Tanaka: I'm so honored to be published in the same issue as Shiibashi-sensei and Horikoshi-sensei! I'm usually in Jump Plus!
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
I feel so much pleasure looking at images like these. If I ever go to Japan, I think I'll pass out when entering a bookstore with that quantity of manga lmao
You do know they have stores like these. with shelves of manga for 100¥ a volume right? :derp
I mean look at the shelves at the back of the picture.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
Wait what the 5 mangas in the bottom always seem to stay in the bottom will any of their situation ever change or will they ever come up or get any spotlight lol 😂😂😂
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
If this is the case, is this mean that publishers make more money from 1 copy of digital tankubon than a physical version?

If that is true then, didnt this mean that this will have an impact onwhole digital sales being comparable if not already surpassing physical sales. Sounds like that conclusion was based on skewed understanding if the whole business. It's not the whole picture?
I don't know how you conclude that.

Digital stores take a bigger cut than physical stores. So, publishers will receive a lower income when they sell to a digital store than a physical store.

On the other hand, the publisher probably has fewer costs to produce a digital copy than a physical copy.

So, the profit for the publisher should be pretty similar from both parts.

Am I misunderstanding?
 

hisoga

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
I don't know how you conclude that.

Digital stores take a bigger cut than physical stores. So, publishers will receive a lower income when they sell to a digital store than a physical store.

On the other hand, the publisher probably has fewer costs to produce a digital copy than a physical copy.

So, the profit for the publisher should be pretty similar from both parts.

Am I misunderstanding?
Wait. Publisher receive less income/profit from digital manga? That is sound weird... If that is true then, i can see why publisher reluctant to change to digital format.

And, with lower cost, even if digital store take more than physical store plus mangaka might also got better percentage cut, 15% at least from what can i assume from MangaAniMY previous post, how can any publisher still get lower profit than physical sales. Unless cost for publishing manga actually very low?
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
I don't know how you conclude that.

Digital stores take a bigger cut than physical stores. So, publishers will receive a lower income when they sell to a digital store than a physical store.

On the other hand, the publisher probably has fewer costs to produce a digital copy than a physical copy.

So, the profit for the publisher should be pretty similar from both parts.

Am I misunderstanding?
How do you even know that though? if the price is the same I don't see why they'd get a smaller cut from the sales made from digital volumes?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
So apparently S8's has gotten a BIG first printing. No number yet, though.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So apparently S8's has gotten a BIG first printing. No number yet, though.
It's also ranking better on Amazon. It's already below 500, last I saw.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
How do you even know that though? if the price is the same I don't see why they'd get a smaller cut from the sales made from digital volumes?
I just read what ruggia said (and it was the origin of this talk with hisoga). His message mentioned digital stores in general take a much bigger cut than physical stores

It varies widely from platform to platform, but digital stores in general take a much bigger cut than physical stores so there's not a whole lot of difference for the publishers in terms of cost, other than not having to deal with overstocking.
Am I misunderstanding?


PS: I probably wasn't clear, but when I asked "Am I misunderstanding?" in the previous message. I also mean if I'm misunderstanding ruggia or not (English isn't my main language).
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
It was like 1300 just a day or two ago. That's still a big change, and there's still more time for it to go even lower.
It's not a sales metric though? It's a ranking. Of course it was going to drop the closer it got to release, what matters is if it gets ahead of any of the established sellers in Jumps roster.

Not being cynical here, just trying to get the facts straight for everyone.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's not a sales metric though? It's a ranking. Of course it was going to drop the closer it got to release, what matters is if it gets ahead of any of the established sellers in Jumps roster.

Not being cynical here, just trying to get the facts straight for everyone.
It still has time for that, does it not? If it continues to drop, there is the possibility that it does eventually get ahead.

We'll just have to wait and see.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Wait. Publisher receive less income/profit from digital manga? That is sound weird... If that is true then, i can see why publisher reluctant to change to digital format.

And, with lower cost, even if digital store take more than physical store plus mangaka might also got better percentage cut, 15% at least from what can i assume from MangaAniMY previous post, how can any publisher still get lower profit than physical sales. Unless cost for publishing manga actually very low?
I wasn't clear.

I just don't understand how you conclude that publishers receive more profit from a digital copy than a physical copy from ruggia message:

It varies widely from platform to platform, but digital stores in general take a much bigger cut than physical stores so there's not a whole lot of difference for the publishers in terms of cost, other than not having to deal with overstocking.

It says that digital stores take a much bigger cut than physical stores.

A I misunderstanding something?
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
If this is the case, is this mean that publishers make more money from 1 copy of digital tankubon than a physical version?

If that is true then, didnt this mean that this will have an impact onwhole digital sales being comparable if not already surpassing physical sales. Sounds like that conclusion was based on skewed understanding if the whole business. It's not the whole picture?
I feel like the conclusion from my comment should've been the other way around, but I'll give a general description of how the market is structured.

There's no clear-cut answer as to whether a publisher makes more from a copy of a volume sold being sold in physical or in digital.
The portion of revenue digital takes from each sale can range from 30% to as high as 75%, so there's a pretty wide variation. Meanwhile, physical stores only take about 20%, and even if you take into account printing and distribution cost, publishers generally end up with around 40-50% of each sale. In an ideal situation where a publisher can sell every copy it prints, physical sales are more likely to have better margins for the publishers. But the catch is that every unsold copy costs them money to store and/or dispose of the unsold copies.

That said, the publisher-run digital stores probably have the best margins.

Of course, how it affects royalties for mangaka is a completely different matter.

And while I'm at it, a few things regarding digital sales:
  • Majority of digital sales are driven by backlog sales of old/out-of-print series and bulk sales from special discounts events.
  • Generally for new releases of ongoing-series, digital only accounts for 10-30%, although there are exceptions.
  • Unlike physical sales which has majority of the sales happening in first few weeks of release and then decaying rapidly, digital sales by nature are more a steady trickle that accumulates over time
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
If S8 even sells around 30k-40k for the first volume it's still good I think as it's just a fresh manga compared to others
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Rain, somehow I knew you were going to spin that into a negative.

It's a fairly big deal. Can you recall any other Jump series receiving similar treatment?
He had a point, negative or not. XD

But for me it really depends on the content of the booklet, if it covers part of the first chapter, the most logical conclusion, Samurai 8 is done for, the beginning was the most boring part. XD

The content may also be the normal content of these booklets, it is just the cover, but inside there is a listing of all volumes on sale right now. Every manga has an advertisement booklet like this inside it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Seeing the fact that they didn't advertise it in magazine with a color page and these booklets where probably have some pages of the first chapter, I think they are trying to appeal to volume readers since it is clear as day that it doesn't appeal to the magazine readers.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
oh boy, have not logged in a couple of days and i get greeted by 30+ pages
lemme guess
10 pages = wow S8, such bad, much flop!!
10 pages = muh DIGITAL SALES!!!
10 pages = MHA (enter season number here) will not give it another boosts!!

how close am I?

something that caught my attention is the list new Jump Plus series
the leaked new manga by Bye-bye Jinrui author and Cicada artist isn't among them, I know they could always just add it later but we have not considered i might not be a J+ series
what if they follow WNL, Chainsaw, Japan, Mitama authors and jump to the main magazine, that would be cool, Cicada artist have a unique artsyle
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
oh boy, have not logged in a couple of days and i get greeted by 30+ pages
lemme guess
10 pages = wow S8, such bad, much flop!!
10 pages = muh DIGITAL SALES!!!
10 pages = MHA (enter season number here) will not give it another boosts!!

how close am I?

something that caught my attention is the list new Jump Plus series
the leaked new manga by Bye-bye Jinrui author and Cicada artist isn't among them, I know they could always just add it later but we have not considered i might not be a J+ series
what if they follow WNL, Chainsaw, Japan, Mitama authors and jump to the main magazine, that would be cool, Cicada artist have a unique artsyle
Jinrui and Cicada who? Can you explain who those series are by and what leak happened?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire


the new title got leaked with the new volumes release list
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top