Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Kimetsu no Yaiba is less impressive because it is in anime boost right now, but Spy x Family has 14 chapters! 14! It is selling 300k now the first volume?
That's what good content can do.
Quality is subjective...I dont find SxF to be as amazing as people say it is. The success is certainly impressive though, I may give the edge to KnY as the series came from having its first volume not even being ranked to now being a huge hit.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
If I'm not mistaken, Illegal Rare debuted with 20-30k as well.
Lets see if this manages to go higher than that to 40-50k by improving over the next few days.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Are people scalping copies of Demon Slayer? The only other reason I can think to buy more than one copy is one for reading and one for saving in which case why not just buy digital for reading?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Are people scalping copies of Demon Slayer? The only other reason I can think to buy more than one copy is one for reading and one for saving in which case why not just buy digital for reading?
Collection purpose I guess
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,474
Reaction score
39,401
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are people scalping copies of Demon Slayer? The only other reason I can think to buy more than one copy is one for reading and one for saving in which case why not just buy digital for reading?
If i remember well a fan of the P2! manga (old ping pong manga on Jump) bought like over 10 copies of the same volume, the picture was posted here.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Wow people just find any thing to downplay Samurai 8
It under-preformed.

It's sales are not terrible for a Vol 1, but, based on the data we have, it's not fulfilling the expectations placed on it as Kishimoto's followup to Naruto.

What are we downplaying.

:cookiestare
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
It under-preformed.

It's sales are not terrible for a Vol 1, but, based on the data we have, it's not fulfilling the expectations placed on it as Kishimoto's followup to Naruto.

What are we downplaying.

:cookiestare
Well the amt of hate and trash talking it got I thought it wouldn't even touch the 50th rank but still it's in 30 for vol 1 and 40 for vol 2.
Good thing is that even someone like kishimoto is struggling just like a newbie.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

One thing you don't expect much from samurai 8 and at the same time say it should have been better because of kishimoto, such hypocrisy
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well the amt of hate and trash talking it got I thought it wouldn't even touch the 50th rank but still it's in 30 for vol 1 and 40 for vol 2.
Good thing is that even someone like kishimoto is struggling just like a newbie.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

One thing you don't expect much from samurai 8 and at the same time say it should have been better because of kishimoto, such hypocrisy
It's 30th in the daily ranking, which isn't really that great. It might go up in the weekend, ot might not. But that's the same position of act-age vol. 1, which didn't really start amazing. I'm not being negative for the sake of it, it's not trash talk to say that while it isn't terrible, it's disappointing. I know some people love to hate on the series at every opportunity, but not everything warrants such defensiveness. Again, it might go up, who knows.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have to agree. Samurai 8 doesn't seem to be bad but it's similar to Dr. Stone in that the sales are disappointing related to the push. Which to be fair, as far as Cover, color page and position in TOC, it actually was never pushed as Dr. Stone lol But otherwise, I think it has marketing outside of the magazine itself.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
It's 30th in the daily ranking, which isn't really that great. It might go up in the weekend, ot might not. But that's the same position of act-age vol. 1, which didn't really start amazing. I'm not being negative for the sake of it, it's not trash talk to say that while it isn't terrible, it's disappointing. I know some people love to hate on the series at every opportunity, but not everything warrants such defensiveness. Again, it might go up, who knows.
I'll agree the first 6-7 chapters were boring and disappointing but after that now it's good and is getting better and better everyweek
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
I think El Chavo is watched everywhere in Latin America still. Here in Brazil it rarely stay some weeks without reruns just to go back to airing. I think Chapolin is in a similar state as well

And talking about Gintama, I really love that manga. It's my favorite one ever and Gintoki is my favorite Jump protagonist (He is kinda similar to me and we ALMOST share birthdays). I was actually surprised when I saw that Gintama wasn't as universally praised as I thought it was, though. Looking at the part of the fandom I have most contact with, it seems kind of hit or miss. What do you guys think about the manga?
Favorite manga bar none. I've probably read thousands and consider my taste pretty damn good. Or at least matured now. it stole my number 1 spot from One Piece when I was 17, and one piece has taken number 1 for like 5 years, I thought that's never change.

Only seriously competing manga are Shingeki considering recent years, vinland saga considering mostly arc 1 and 2, and Gintama is my favorite fictional story, only competitors are Higurashi VN (100s of times better than the anime, like actually) and Dickens' bildungsromans, Great Expectations and David Copperfield.

I like human-feeling characters and character development a lot, among other things, and Gintama was a gold mine for that, among other amazing things.

People seem mixed on the influx of serious arcs but I loved them all until hiatus hell and the ending arc didn't get me to cry much which is rare for Gintama. But I'd already reread the series 3 to 5 times, reread certain arcs 12 to 15 times, watched those arcs 3 to 5 times, and watched reactors 5 to 10 times for those arcs so I had already experienced so much greatness a hedonic treadmill may have occurred.

All in all Sorachi said " if this manga is interesting to you at least on the first read through then I have managed to make my wishes come true" and since it's done that many times over, unless something else emotionally destroys me, Gintama is forever number 1 even if I can't feel the intense highs I used to with it.

I've already enjoyed it so much that I can't complain. In fact I'm very grateful. Same vibes as in the last chapter..
Some "fans" dislike humanizing the villains but I think that opinion is shit.

Gintama #1, most likely for life. If it is ever surpassed, it will always be a fondly remembered favorite.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
Ok let me get it straight, there is a big difference between some random user on the internet and a big company.
The company doesn't just see how it's performing in it's initial stages despite the investments used on it, they are people who are capable of seeing beneath the surface they see the potential of the manga, where can the story go upto in future, what new experience can it give to the readers and many such factors before deciding to axe it.
So yes S8 I can't just see it getting axed soon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top