Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Kubo's greatest strength is his art. So, if he isn't drawing, he shouldn't be back. I'd rather he do a monthly series in that case if it gives him more room for his health and life.

This is of course if he comes back, which I don't think he will.
Yeh you right, I was just having a kubo heimwee
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
General question, why do you guys think veteran creators so often struggle to make successful comebacks in Jump?
 

chrisbj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2015
Messages
191
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think Kubo is done, he should enjoy retirement
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Yeah but that's technically WSJ still. I meant more like Young Jump and that kind.
How is it technically Weekly Shonen Jump when it's not even weekly?
 

Paze

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2018
Messages
121
Reaction score
116
Age
33
Country
United States
General question, why do you guys think veteran creators so often struggle to make successful comebacks in Jump?
Maybe they don't. Some fail but consider how many newbies fail.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
How is it technically Weekly Shonen Jump when it's not even weekly?
Because it was launched by Shueisha to push towards the digital market using WSJ's series while also becoming a platform where they could experiment with series that wouldn't necessarily be in WSJ. Most of its identity comes from WSJ series of past and present.
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yep, of course they will. Just because it failed once doesn't mean return of someone else would not succeed. Don't forget, Shimabu, Ohba/Obata returns in WSJ were all huge successes.


Kubo's greatest strength is his art. So, if he isn't drawing, he shouldn't be back. I'd rather he do a monthly series in that case if it gives him more room for his health and life.

This is of course if he comes back, which I don't think he will.
Maybe Kubo should go the seasonal route at that point like Hoshino or the Togashi 10 chapters per year Lmao.
 

Kharthas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
420
Age
34
Country
United States
Also, Kimetsu scans are also pretty recent, and for casual fans that got used to reading it on the app, it's like if they didn't actually exist. Also, sometimes they have even been irregular with releases, so that doesn't help creating much of an effect on the series.
Eh, Kimetsu fan scan has been there from the beginning, and they never miss a single week for the last 3 years. I think you're confusing them with the recent speed scan. The view on Mangaplus is not affected because they always release after the official version drops.

So, the big question for everyone, what do you think is the reason(s) for Samurai 8 underpreforming?
I think it all comes down to one big reason: Samurai 8 is Kishimoto's passion project. Readers don't resonate much with the manga because Kishimoto is writing what he wants to write, rather than what readers want to read. He had wanted to write Sci-Fi for ages, and he couldn't wait to dump all his ideas on Samurai 8. The end result is he made the same mistake as the author of Saiyuki: too much exposition and new concepts introduced at the beginning, which might bore or confuse readers. It's clear that Kishi has great plans in store, and maybe he was counting on readers to give him more time to fresh out the universe (which is quite reasonable if you ask me, he is Naruto's author after all), but it looks like the average Jump reader has no such patience. At the end of the day, people read Jump for fun and entertaining manga, not masterpieces in the making. If you fail to entertain readers then they will drop your manga, no matter what promises it may hold in the future.

The art also didn't help in my opinion. At the beginning, the artist hardly used screentones , which made the manga look more like a coloring book with no contrast between foreground and background. Robots and mechanic devices are extremely detailed too, so everything looks like a clusterfuck without proper shading. Basically the art perfectly mirrored the writing: full of ideas and promises, but confusing and not entertaining enough. Luckily later chapters are much better in this regard.

Finally, the hype surrounding the comeback of Naruto author might have backfired on Samurai 8. The more you talk about it, the more readers will expect from it, and the more disappointed they will be if the first few chapters fail to live up to their expectations. And don't forget that too much advertising might turn people off. Some like to say there is no such thing as bad publicity, but Shueisha might have done it with their millions of Samurai 8 pamphlets included in all Jump volumes released with this batch.
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
General question, why do you guys think veteran creators so often struggle to make successful comebacks in Jump?
There is no real answer tho. Some fail and some don't. Ohba/Obata succeeded so well with a completely different genre. Shimabu succeeded with a completely different genre as well. But then Inoue came back with REAL after SD and then went on and made Vagabond.

Sometimes your stories just don't click.

Maybe Kubo should go the seasonal route at that point like Hoshino or the Togashi 10 chapters per year Lmao.
Soooo, one fight a year then? As long as his art is as fantastic it could be, I'd be okay with that tbh. Something better than nothing, I'd suppose.
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
General question, why do you guys think veteran creators so often struggle to make successful comebacks in Jump?
I assume it takes a special talent to be able to succeed with multiple series such as Toriyama, Togashi (still made Level E tho), Ohba/Obata (also have a floppish series), Shimabukuro (even tho I’m not sure how well Takeshi sold), Morita, Matsui, Inagaki (I guess), couple others. Just shows to get a series to survive in Jump involves a lot of hard work and luck.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

There is no real answer tho. Some fail and some don't. Ohba/Obata succeeded so well with a completely different genre. Shimabu succeeded with a completely different genre as well. But then Inoue came back with REAL after SD and then went on and made Vagabond.

Sometimes your stories just don't click.



Soooo, one fight a year then? As long as his art is as fantastic it could be, I'd be okay with that tbh. Something better than nothing, I'd suppose.
A fight a year, nah one fight over 3 years
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
The major reasons for S8 being a failure lies mostly with the readers.
1. The trash talking and hate it got for the first chapters but currently it's good but I'm sure those people ain't even reading it.
2.japanesse have a niche to sci fi that's just not their type.
3. Lack of patience which is another important reason I'm sure most readers left it after the first few chapters . There's a saying in our language that"Savr ka fal mitha hota hai" Meaning the results of patience is Sweet.
4.A part of its failure lies with kishimoto too as he did what he wanted, not knowing what the readers wanted to, even though he could bring them as his readers in future but that would be a lot of hard work .

So with all these I hate to say this but Our Beloved Japanese Have Failed to Evolve
Blaming Japanese people for their decisions sees unfair.

I mean, they are not forced to be patient, there is nothing wrong with them choosing what interesting to them and abandoning what is not.


That said, we still don't know how the sales will end. This could always improve.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I assume it takes a special talent to be able to succeed with multiple series such as Toriyama, Togashi (still made Level E tho), Ohba/Obata (also have a floppish series), Shimabukuro (even tho I’m not sure how well Takeshi sold), Morita, Matsui, Inagaki (I guess), couple others. Just shows to get a series to survive in Jump involves a lot of hard work and luck.
Safe to say Takeshi probably sold quite well for a comedy series. It had 8 million copies in print for 24 volumes...I dont think they would print that much copies for a series with no anime if it wasnt selling well.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
The major reasons for S8 being a failure lies mostly with the readers.
1. The trash talking and hate it got for the first chapters but currently it's good but I'm sure those people ain't even reading it.
2.japanesse have a niche to sci fi that's just not their type.
3. Lack of patience which is another important reason I'm sure most readers left it after the first few chapters . There's a saying in our language that"Savr ka fal mitha hota hai" Meaning the results of patience is Sweet.
4.A part of its failure lies with kishimoto too as he did what he wanted, not knowing what the readers wanted to, even though he could bring them as his readers in future but that would be a lot of hard work .

So with all these I hate to say this but Our Beloved Japanese Have Failed to Evolve
Actually, regarding your first point, it seems to the opposite, if my discussions with JP fans along with going through Jump Matome say anything. The first couple of chapters had a largely mixed reception, but around Ata's introduction reception started getting steadily worse before it eventually became "That manga 5ch likes to mock".

I fail to see how its someone the readers fault for not taking to the series. The blame should be held on Kishimoto's feet IMO, given that he knew that Jump's readership wouldn't take well to many of the things he was doing, and yet did them anyway with the rational that they'd tolerate it because he's Kishimoto. That's reckless at best, and severely overconfident at worst.
 

Samael Morningstar

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
4,556
Reaction score
4,471
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
Actually, regarding your first point, it seems to the opposite, if my discussions with JP fans along with going through Jump Matome say anything. The first couple of chapters had a largely mixed reception, but around Ata's introduction reception started getting steadily worse before it eventually became "That manga 5ch likes to mock".

I fail to see how its someone the readers fault for not taking to the series. The blame should be held on Kishimoto's feet IMO, given that he knew that Jump's readership wouldn't take well to many of the things he was doing, and yet did them anyway with the rational that they'd tolerate it because he's Kishimoto. That's reckless at best, and severely overconfident at worst.
First I never meant any offense to you, sorry if anyhow I offended you.
If not anything People should at least have some patience IMO regarding S8 since even kishimoto requested to keep patience, tho I'm not saying he can command people but still.....
So do you think people don't like extremely OP characters from the beginning?
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Quite fuk'd up how "supposed fans"....enjoy lots of great moments,heartfelt emotions and great relationships in a story only to disregard it all because said writer "let you down".

I personally think writers need a break...cause you cant please everyone.

Question is....are there any perfect stories from cover to end?
 

Kharthas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
420
Age
34
Country
United States
I think I should stress that all these talks about Samurai 8 underperforming are just mere observations about how it's doing at the moment. This is Kishimoto we're talking about so he might bring readers back any moment and realize his visions for S8 while making it entertaining at the same time. However, it's clear that he needs to change his writing approach and cater more to his audiences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top