Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
This manga was in the works for the last two years.
How do we know that multiple editors were not involved and didn't give their opinion and advice already?
Everyone is just assuming at this point that Kishi didn't listen to any editor. It could very well be the other way around.

Also, even if he did not implement the advise of an editor, there is nothing wrong with that.
I agree. Kishimoto already had all the success anyone can possibly get out of life with Naruto. It'd be natural for him to do whatever he wants to do as an artist this time around, even if it means mediocre popularity .
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ao no Flag is the best thing in Jump+ and it's not even close. The way the author depicts the characters feelings is incredible, both art-wise and story-wise. It's an extremely well-constructed story that floors me every chapter.
I also really like Spy x Family, of course, and I need to get back to Jigokuraku, which had potential to be one of the best action shonen of Jump in recent memory, even if its not in the main magazine.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,552
Reaction score
11,290
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
They printed at least 2 millions leaflets to advertise Samurai 8. There's no ways Shueisha content with 20k. They definitely must aim for 100k at least.
In such a competitive month?

Seriously ?

However we forget a particular thing, that before the serialization, Kishimoto left a long interview reported everywhere, at a certain point he says that he already knows that there will be difficulties with his new work, either for the unusual theme on the Jump, either because of the difficulties in understanding many aspects, only asked for patience.

Now I absolutely don't think that he told the only journalist, but on the contrary already from the Jump Festa I believe that Kishimoto and Shueisha have reasoned about what could have been the initial lines of the work with reference to appreciation.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
If I can change the topic a bit:

Are there any Jump Plus titles that you find yourself enjoying? What makes you enjoy them so much?
Jigokuraku for sure. It has excellent characters, world building & fights. The artwork is some of the best with its rough yet detailed artwork. Its like Jujutsu Kaisen in that sense. It has great backstories for the characters & with how unpredictable the manga can be with characters dying is a "nice" bonus. It's my fav manga from Jump+ and is now one of my all time fav. series. Blue Flag I'm behind on quite a bit now but what I've read it handles the characters very well. I gotta back to reading Blue Flag soon, perhaps after Im done with JJK/AA.

Well, there is always people with some weird tastes. XD
But there are some mangas that I call Yotsuba level, they are so cute and heartwarming with a good story to complement that if you don't like it you have some problem. :derp
Spy x Family is not far from reaching this level to me.
Yeah...weird taste because we dont like SxF as much as you do? Yotsuba is much better than SxF. SxF is okay (not bad but not as amazing as people say it is)...this fanbase of SxF is reminiscent of Kaguya's fanbase & I dont mean that in a good way.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I agree. Kishimoto already had all the success anyone can possibly get out of life with Naruto. It'd be natural for him to do whatever he wants to do as an artist this time around, even if it means mediocre popularity .
Remembering what is said in Bakuman: There are two types of mangakas, the gamblers and the genius, only the genius can do whatever he wants and still makes success. We will see if Kishimoto is a gambler or a genius. Create Naruto doesn't mean he is a genius.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yeah...weird taste because we dont like SxF as much as you do? Yotsuba is much better than SxF. SxF is okay (not bad but not as amazing as people say it is)...this fanbase of SxF is reminiscent of Kaguya's fanbase & I dont mean that in a good way.
"XD" <- This emoticon means that what is said before it is a joke. :derp
It is really hard to have a normal conversation when people are so triggered by anything.
Spy x Family fanbase is all right, we are just enjoying ourselves with this manga, that's what manga is all about.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Remembering what is said in Bakuman: There are two types of mangakas, the gamblers and the genius, only the genius can do whatever he wants and still makes success. We will see if Kishimoto is a gambler or a genius. Create Naruto doesn't mean he is a genius.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

"XD" <- This emoticon means that what is said before it is a joke. :derp
It is really hard to have a normal conversation when people are so triggered by anything.
Spy x Family fanbase is all right, we are just enjoying ourselves with this manga, that's what manga is all about.
Hard to believe you're joking when you got a SxF avatar...
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
People are gonna go "wtf" at me, but I read a lot of these (some occasionally, some I am not caught up with recent chapters etc.)

If we are talking ongoing only: Dorei Yuugi (a very good and interesting concept that doesn't become shy to be brutal), Spy x Family (no need to mention why), Heart Gear (nails the adventure feel with a great art style), Dosanko Gyaru is Mega Cute (5 chapters so far of a rom-com fluff without any rivals, yay!), Jigokuraku (great characters and art), Summer Time Rendering (a very well done mystery manga that keeps delivering), Blue Flag (top notch writing and some great characterization), It's Time For Interrogation, Princess! (kinda repeats itself too much, but a cute gag manga), Hina Change (an interesting examination of a gender identity crisis), Curtain's Up, I'm Off (revolves around acting and actually gives space to non-rival side characters), Tokedase! Mizore-chan (too funny) and MHA Vigilantes (a solid spinoff of a manga a like).

I have dropped things like Sa-Chan (trash), World's End Harem (ultra mega giga omega sigma ****** trash), Abyss Rage (one of the slowest paced manga I have seen), Spotless Love (too much for me, no offense), Koi Goku no Toshi (a solid mystery concept but random fanservice ecchi for no purpose but for that) etc.
Aharen-san is 50-50 for me right now. It's okay, but also very generic at the same time and feels like it should have ended long ago.
Oh c'mon, don't drop Koi Goku ): Story's getting really interesting.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Wake up after being forced to sleep on the couch for several hours, and I just got debates on Samurai 8, Ohba's sexism, and Jump+ for several pages.

Regarding the question of Kishimoto's editor, I'm almost certain that the series current editor, Taguchi, is basically just there as a figurehead. The lack of any mentioned contributions to the project (he doesn't even mention when he joined it) in his Manga+ interview is very telling.

As for the M+ question, I'm about the same as everyone else, Spy x Family, Jigokuraku, Summer Time Rendering, Blue Flag.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Oh c'mon, don't drop Koi Goku ): Story's getting really interesting.
I really like the idea it has going on, it's just that I don't get why does mangaka think he has to throw in ecchi few pages per chapter randomly for no apparent reason/convenient developments just to show that. I don't mind ecchi fanservice usually, but it has no business appearing in a dark psychological mystery manga like this.
Naked strategy meetings, seriously?

Will continue because of you. Though I have just opened Ch.7 and Page 1 already did it lmao.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hard to believe you're joking when you got a SxF avatar...
Well, I like the series, but I don't care about other people opinions about it. It was a joke.
Calm down, you don't need to hate the series because of me. :derp
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I really like the idea it has going on, it's just that I don't get why does mangaka think he has to throw in ecchi few pages per chapter randomly for no apparent reason/convenient developments just to show that. I don't mind ecchi fanservice usually, but it has no business appearing in a dark psychological mystery manga like this.
Naked strategy meetings, seriously?

Will continue because of you. Though I have just opened Ch.7 and Page 1 already did it lmao.
And we are still gonna have to deal with a lot of ecchi hahah, but I think the series plot is interesting enough, at least to me, to go past all of that and keep discovering stuff. It's also doing good on Jump+ App, but we all know Japanese readers don't really care that much about any ecchi stuff hahah.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Well, I like the series, but I don't care about other people opinions about it. It was a joke.
Calm down, you don't need to hate the series because of me. :derp
Like I said its hard to believe that. I dont hate the series lol. Its that I dont find it as amazing as people say it is & do find it overrated. One good thing that came out of SxF is its success for a Jump + title and people are checking out other titles from Jump+ (or at least I hope lol). Some of these Jump+ titles are better than most of the series in the main magazine by a big margin.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Wake up after being forced to sleep on the couch for several hours, and I just got debates on Samurai 8, Ohba's sexism, and Jump+ for several pages.

Regarding the question of Kishimoto's editor, I'm almost certain that the series current editor, Taguchi, is basically just there as a figurehead. The lack of any mentioned contributions to the project (he doesn't even mention when he joined it) in his Manga+ interview is very telling.

As for the M+ question, I'm about the same as everyone else, Spy x Family, Jigokuraku, Summer Time Rendering, Blue Flag.
You eastern people looks like never sleep, I have this impression with Japanese people on Twitter, I go to bed, they are there, I wake up, they are still there. Australians must not be that far. XD

I have the same feeling, that's unfortunate.

Gotta arrange time to read all of them in full.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Like I said its hard to believe that. I dont hate the series lol. Its that I dont find it as amazing as people say it is & do find it overrated. One good thing that came out of SxF is its success for a Jump + title and people are checking out other titles from Jump+ (or at least I hope lol). Some of these Jump+ titles are better than most of the series in the main magazine by a big margin.
I can't do anything about that then.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Yozakura's pacing is way too fast right now. Not sure if that is a good thing or not...
 

Paze

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2018
Messages
121
Reaction score
116
Age
33
Country
United States
Am I the only one who liked Misa in Death note? I thought she was an interesting take on a real life phenomenon where seemingly normal woman become die hard supporters of killers even resulting in them doing crimes themselves. Most famous examples are the women who helped Charles Manson or the one who married Ted Bundy while he was on trial. I'm certain Ohba heard about this and put it in the manga.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Double Taisei....what the?? Suddenly did a timeskip...again. This is so getting axed in a week or two now.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,552
Reaction score
11,290
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
We will see if Kishimoto is a gambler or a genius. Create Naruto doesn't mean he is a genius.
Well, let's talk about the fifth longest running manga in the Jump ....

I don't know if that's enough to call him a genius, but he's certainly one of the most influential mangaka of the last twenty years.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Goddamn that was meta (and depressing) lol.

Just take a pill to end it.
It's very depressing, but I don't have much reaction to it sadly.
We started digging into his character just 1 chapter ago, the suicide plan took over few panels, it was all even timeskiped...it sadly leaves more of "what just happened?" rather than sadness.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Double Taisei..... another wild turn..... this chapter was definitely depressing. Hopefully the next chapter wraps up that storyline, and once that's done, I'd say there's only a few things left to resolve: 1. Who goes pro. 2. The whole Tai/Sei switching times of the day thing. and 3. The thing with Tai and Sei's father that was alluded to that one earlier chapter (which I think will probably go unresolved if the series is wrapping up in the next couple chapters).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top