Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Double Taisei..... another wild turn..... this chapter was definitely depressing. Hopefully the next chapter wraps up that storyline, and once that's done, I'd say there's only a few things left to resolve: 1. Who goes pro. 2. The whole Tai/Sei switching times of the day thing. and 3. The thing with Tai and Sei's father that was alluded to that one earlier chapter (which I think will probably go unresolved if the series is wrapping up in the next couple chapters).
1. and 2. could easily resolve in the next chapter. Taisei has to end first among the Taisei Beast Tokyo trio since it's the first one that started in that batch, that is how it always goes with Jump.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Glad to see that internet is not liking the resolution Neverland is having.

For me Neverland has been one of most overrated titles in Jump. I've thought for months that the manga has been moving purely for they hype generated with a perfect first arc, but the manga felt weaker after that, and after Golden Pond (don't remember now well the name), it got even weaker.

About Taisei, was that a timeskip? I thought it was
the tomb of that guy's father
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
It's very depressing, but I don't have much reaction to it sadly.
We started digging into his character just 1 chapter ago, the suicide plan took over few panels, it was all even timeskiped...it sadly leaves more of "what just happened?" rather than sadness.
Oh, for sure. Wish that character had gotten a little more time. I meant depressing because it was meta.

Fukuda: "I've been given this pill [end of serialization] that will "kill" me. But I'll keep going until it kicks in."
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
1. and 2. could easily resolve in the next chapter. Taisei has to end first among the Taisei Beast Tokyo trio since it's the first one that started in that batch, that is how it always goes with Jump.
Sadly, that is the fate of manga born into the Weekly Shonen Jump family. Bad things happen when they try to go against their destiny...
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I love how Taisei went from the cast playing Smash Bros one chapter to a rival committing suicide the next.

Seriously, this series is like a car wreck. It's a mess, but you can't look away.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1. and 2. could easily resolve in the next chapter. Taisei has to end first among the Taisei Beast Tokyo trio since it's the first one that started in that batch, that is how it always goes with Jump.
Is it really? Getting cancelled in the same order they debuted seems kind of arbitrary, now that they're all either at the 19 chapter mark or past it.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm still enjoying Neverland a lot, including the latest chapter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯ The only real problem I have is how Ray has been sidelined, and last chapter was a perfect opportunity to get his point of view of the whole thing.

Taisei made me say what the fuck reading it, it's almost entertaining how absurd this series get.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I love how Taisei went from the cast playing Smash Bros one chapter to a rival committing suicide the next.

Seriously, this series is like a car wreck. It's a mess, but you can't look away.
That's how Yui Kamio has been for me the whole time. Each of the early chapters was alright, but from start it finish of a particular chapter, it was almost like I'd have whiplash by the end of the chapter from the number of jarring turns the chapter's flow would take every time. Then it hit a stride for a few chapters, completely lost me when the mushi were introduced, and now the last few chapters have basically plateaued for me.

Double Taisei was different somehow. I was incredibly confused by what was happening, but the artwork was great and I was curious where it'd go next (plus Haga seemed like a real psychopath lol). Then it finally found what should've been its original path: comedy rather than convoluted drama. Since the shogi rivals were introduced, it had one brilliant chapter after another, sometimes even being my favorite WSJ series of the week. Honestly, I'd still love to learn more about the characters even after this sudden development. Heck, I'd even like to see a chapter of Tai trying to impersonate Sei and fit in with his nighttime friends. However, I'd be absolutely floored if it has more than 3 chapters left at this point sadly.

If the author tries coming back a third time, hopefully he tries simplifying his beginning chapters a bit. I'm sure the first few chapters confused readers greatly, which probably turned off a lot of readers. He should come back with a romcom/SOL series since all of those chapters were his strongest ones by far, plus his artstyle would suit the genre well. Maybe he could even find a niche on Jump+ like several others who used to be in the main magazine have
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
Glad to see that internet is not liking the resolution Neverland is having.

For me Neverland has been one of most overrated titles in Jump. I've thought for months that the manga has been moving purely for they hype generated with a perfect first arc, but the manga felt weaker after that, and after Golden Pond (don't remember now well the name), it got even weaker.
I'm inclined to agree. Put the manga on hold after Goldy Pond to binge the rest once it reaches the end, but the overall feedback hasn't gotten my hopes up.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Wake up after being forced to sleep on the couch for several hours, and I just got debates on Samurai 8, Ohba's sexism, and Jump+ for several pages.

Regarding the question of Kishimoto's editor, I'm almost certain that the series current editor, Taguchi, is basically just there as a figurehead. The lack of any mentioned contributions to the project (he doesn't even mention when he joined it) in his Manga+ interview is very telling.

As for the M+ question, I'm about the same as everyone else, Spy x Family, Jigokuraku, Summer Time Rendering, Blue Flag.
Really odd that you’re complaining about S8 debates when you’ve been the main one starting the debates for months 🧐
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
We should have an award for the most WTF manga of the year. The competition could be strong.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Is it really? Getting cancelled in the same order they debuted seems kind of arbitrary, now that they're all either at the 19 chapter mark or past it.
Yep, since 2015 either same serialization batch order, same axe order, or same issue ending (David/Jimoto, Full Drive/Golem Hearts)
Lady Justice/Devily Man
Love Rush/Red Sprite
Demon's Plan/Ole Golazo
U19/Poro no Ryuugakuki
Shuudan/Cross Account
Momiji no Kisetsu/Kimi wo Shinryaku Seyo
Tanaka Seiji/Alice to Taiyo
Ne0lation/Gokutei Higuma

In 2014 also same axe order
Judos/Hifi Cluster/Sporting Sal

And even before that
Mitsukubi Condor/Yoakemono
iShojo left the magazine/Stealth Symphony
Hungry Joker/Shimai Fukei
And two cases of same issue ending in Kurokuroku/Himedol and Hachi/Koi no Cupid
 

Cley

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 2, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Country
Brazil
Well, let's talk about the fifth longest running manga in the Jump ....

I don't know if that's enough to call him a genius, but he's certainly one of the most influential mangaka of the last twenty years.
250 million copies sold, is the third best selling manga in jump history
Kishi is a genius
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
DT gave me the biggest whiplash this week, I would never have expected such a depressing turn and that timeskip.

TPN has become more and more disappointing, which is quite sad given that I loved the series until they found Norman. Almost everything after that was boring, the story barely moved forward and we only got a dump of information for a whole bunch of chapters. Now, everything is going way too fast and barely making any sense and Ray can't even be considered a main character anymore, he got completely sidelined. I have no idea what's going on Shirai's mind.

Best chapters this week were JJK, AA and CSM. Akutami's writing and panelling is just great and CSM was ominous right at the end. I'm getting more and more worried about Yonagi, though. Not really feeling this flashback in KNY, I'm more interested to see if Genya and Tokitou actually died, though i'm almost sure about the latter.

If I can change the topic a bit:

Are there any Jump Plus titles that you find yourself enjoying? What makes you enjoy them so much?
I used to enjoy Ao no Flag a lot, but I've been rather turned off by the gaslighting that author has been showing in the story.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Bro.. you better take that back or delete your comment, smh what a troll
-_-;
By what we've heard so far he didn't do whatever he wanted during the Naruto serialization, he was complaining about that, right? By the half to the end of the series where we suppose he had more liberty the series looked like a derailed train. lol
So no, I don't consider him a genius and I'm not trolling anybody.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
No devilyman, who was the previous work of the author of Double taisei, hinted that the protagonist had committed suicide. So, this is not the first time this author has addressed this topic.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
DT gave me the biggest whiplash this week, I would never have expected such a depressing turn and that timeskip.

TPN has become more and more disappointing, which is quite sad given that I loved the series until they found Norman. Almost everything after that was boring, the story barely moved forward and we only got a dump of information for a whole bunch of chapters. Now, everything is going way too fast and barely making any sense and Ray can't even be considered a main character anymore, he got completely sidelined. I have no idea what's going on Shirai's mind.

Best chapters this week were JJK, AA and CSM. Akutami's writing and panelling is just great and CSM was ominous right at the end. I'm getting more and more worried about Yonagi, though. Not really feeling this flashback in KNY, I'm more interested to see if Genya and Tokitou actually died, though i'm almost sure about the latter.



I used to enjoy Ao no Flag a lot, but I've been rather turned off by the gaslighting that author has been showing in the story.
I was pretty sure that those deathflags were meant for Sanemi and Himejima, this caught me of guard. I wonder how Tanjirou will react to this, those two were the closest ones to him besides Inosuke and Zenitsu.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I wonder why those older manga from the previous serialization still aren't cancelled. Maybe because new titles aren't done?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
So are we playing the blame game as to who's "fault" it is for Samurai 8?

Because, like it or not, it's all on Kishimoto. All the evidence points to the series having little to no editorial input, so what the series is and what happens to it is entirely on him and him alone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top