Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
So, what type of series would you think current's Jump author(or the one that you want to return) would do in his next work?
1ºCurrent
-Furudate:
If he return with a spokon: I doubt it because unlike fujimaki , furudate is doing a series of a sport that played as a child. It would be interesting seeing doing a football series.
If he doesn't return with a spokon: An horror manga.

-Oda:If he ever finish One piece, I can only see doing gag manga. Maybe a spy series or a short chanbara, but I doubt he will serialize it in the magazine

-Horikoshi: an adventure manga(sci fi or fantasy) would be interesting (if it would be good or not is another question). Maybe a romcom

-Gotouge: the Urban battle shonen with that unlikable MC was interesting. Maybe Croc will go with something like that.

-Tabata: Like Mashima, I can't see him doing something different(that isn't a bad thing)

-Miura: Or he go with another echii or with a more action oriented series.

-Gege: Cannot see him working in something with a different tone.

-Shirai/Posuka: Maybe a battle shonen? They could do anything.

-Inagaki: Like Shirai,He could return with anything. Another spokon or doing something like a comedy with serious battle shonen arc are the thing I would like to see.

-Matsuki/Shiro(Act-age duo): Same as the above. Maybe something like Bakuman/Hitman? It would repeat the Director/young actress thing but with Editor/manaka, but now that I think about it , it would be interesting.

-Fujimoto: Something weird, maybe like Level E

-Kishimoto: Baseball manga or a mafia work. Don't know if it will be in the magazine.

-Tutsui: a Rom com.

-Shibashi: Nothing different that he already wrote.

2ºWant to return
-Matsui: I always tought that he would return with a battle shonen but it wouldn't surprise me that he return with something weird like fukken.

-Asou: Another gag manga.Maybe someone making fun at isekai?

-Tsukuda/Saeki: Between a romcom or a detective manga(or maybe a combination of both). It wouldn't surprise me if they go for a detective series, Nisio will be in the team like Morisaki was.

-Naoshi Komi:
If he return with a rom com: Something more like Toki Toki than Nisekoi
If he doesn't return with a rom com: A urban battle shonen.

-Fujimaki
If he return with a spokon: Something like REAL seeing his olympic drawing? Maybe a rugby one?
If he doesn't return with a spokon: Fantasy series like the archer one

-Kenta Shinohara: Probably is something like Sket dance but it would be curious to see an urban battle shonen by him.

-Tamura: Something more like twin dragon brother and less like Hungry Mary. Or maybe a comedy spokon but I doubt it.
 

fuzzb

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 30, 2019
Messages
17
Reaction score
44
Age
46
Country
United States
The fact there is non-stop talking about S8 means quite a lot (like rename the thread to S8 Discussion already). No one was talking that much for the cancelled series when they were underperforming. Sale-wise it may not be the hottest shit, but talk-wise it is a hot-shit. Worst case scenario if fails in sales is moving it elsewhere and that will be at least after 5 volumes. No way it's getting cancelled anytime soon.

Also I'm happy it's getting english physical release next year too. Next step, TV anime in 2 years!

You can continue talking how big of a failure is, and in the mean time I will keep waiting for my copies of the manga to arrive and enjoy them.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Is there any evidence that was a the case for the JP community? The bad reception seems to have been purely a Western thing.
I remember it was mentioned JP forums criticized Black Clover.

At the end, I don't think online discussion is the main source of information.

After all, many japanese online polls have the really popular manga at the botton or middle. I remember you mentioned Last Saiyuki has a good reception and it was high in online polls.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why, what were the expectations?
However I am glad that BC seems to go back, if he sold less than Jujutsu even without an anime there would be a worry ... I expect him to overtake Spy as well.
I say wait for the weekly ranking, especially Oricon's. One day sales can be bigger than another.

Do we have any word on Chainsaw Man's total sales? Wouldn't be surprised if the series has already broken 1 million.
With the release of volume 4 I think it'll go above 200k after a month.
Not even SXF has reached 1 million yet. The first volume alone has sold more than all CSM's volumes together. The print numbers for CSM should be a bit higher, though. Maybe we'll hear from the print number when volume 5 gets released, it should be closer to 500k prints by them.

How big the chance SxP vol 2 do better than MHA vol 2?
MHA vol 2 did almost 240k in the first month. I don't think SXF could go that high, but if it did it would be a great achievement.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
It's a method, but Nakano has mentioned that it's not the sole one used to judge popularity. The editorial just considers all available sources of data to judging how X series is being received.
However, the editorial will likely choose reliable sources.

Online (lack of) popularity isn't so reliable. They will probably get their data in other way.

Not to mention that the weekly poll should still be one of its more reliable methods.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
The fact there is non-stop talking about S8 means quite a lot (like rename the thread to S8 Discussion already). No one was talking that much for the cancelled series when they were underperforming. Sale-wise it may not be the hottest shit, but talk-wise it is a hot-shit. Worst case scenario if fails in sales is moving it elsewhere and that will be at least after 5 volumes. No way it's getting cancelled anytime soon.

Also I'm happy it's getting english physical release next year too. Next step, TV anime in 2 years!

You can continue talking how big of a failure is, and in the mean time I will keep waiting for my copies of the manga to arrive and enjoy them.
That's good for you, man. That you're enjoying it. No one can take that away from you. And you shouldn't let forums like this ruin your admiration of a series.

Doesn't take away the fact that it's doing poorly in sales at the moment. It can still grow in the next few volumes. So we are going to have to wait and see. But yes, it's debut has been underwhelming at the very least.

Also, it was expected that everyone would talk about it often. It was Kishimoto's return series after Naruto. It'll be the same if Kubo came back and way more if Oda finished One Piece and returned.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
Why, what were the expectations?
This were the expectations from voters in this thread:

And as for official expectations: I'm pretty sure they expected a new Kishimoto manga to sell more than HZ.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I just want a team-based spokon with main characters being twins that work together.

And no, Switch on Weekly Shonen Sunday isn't one, sadly.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Idk, I find kinda fun and sad when users are focused in every single page to post about "people are talking for *insert number* pages about a Sam8/Black clover vs MHA/digital sales" instead of changing the topic...

I just want a team-based spokon with main characters being twins that work together.

And no, Switch on Weekly Shonen Sunday isn't one, sadly.
It could work, but it would depend of the sport.Maybe better than team-based, tag based like tennis or wrestling?
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
It could work, but it would depend of the sport.Maybe better than team-based, tag based like tennis or wrestling?
Tennis doubles is a nice idea, actually. Basketball also works, one being aggresive and other support/defensive. Though that would be a rehash of Kuroko I guess.
 

Paze

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2018
Messages
121
Reaction score
116
Age
33
Country
United States
Oda said he'd make a "robot manga" and only do short story manga after one piece. I think a mecha series from him would be very unique.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
What would you want Sorachi to do next?
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Tennis doubles is a nice idea, actually. Basketball also works, one being aggresive and other support/defensive. Though that would be a rehash of Kuroko I guess.
Reading the basketball part, I was thinking about kuroko all the time until you say it lol.
But yeah, it could work.

Oda said he'd make a "robot manga" and only do short story manga after one piece. I think a mecha series from him would be very unique.
Yeah, Oda probably will be like toriyama and do short series mainly gag or maybe a irregular seris.
A "real robot" or "super robot" mecha series would work and it will be a good business idea , doing a short mecha series and toei or sunrise will milk it(if it's popular).

What would you want Sorachi to do next?
I forgot about him in the post.
Maybe a martial arts comedy? Something like laughting at ranma 1/2 and romcom cliches in general but having some serious arcs.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,551
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What would you want Sorachi to do next?
I already said that he concluded with the manga.
However, what are the chances that Black Clover will overtake Spy?
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I mean, there were other subjects besides Samurai 8 (one going on right now!) , but it doesn't help if every 5th post is a "hey the last nth pages are just talking about it!!", it just reminds people of it

(and yeah, my post is also not helping, whatever)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

By the way, I want Shinohara to come back with a school manga with the drama and comedy with dials in the opposite direction of Sket Dance. I mean, a mainly dramatic series with comedic and light moments throughout. Maybe something like GTO where is a student fixing a school/helping students? Maybe it would be too similar to Sket, but I don't actually mind.

And from current Jump, I think I want Furudate to do something like Yotsuya again. I really saw potential in that.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
If you notice Spy X Family volume 1 is still in the list,in 42nd rank.
Wait, so it rose in rank? I thought SxF Vol.1 was like 50-60th place last week. SxF Vol.2 staying in 4th 2 days is nice. Hope it stays Top5 for the whole week. <3
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
So, what type of series would you think current's Jump author(or the one that you want to return) would do in his next work?

-Gotouge: the Urban battle shonen with that unlikable MC was interesting. Maybe Croc will go with something like that.
I may be in the minority, but I don't actually like the battles in Kimetsu much. My favourite parts of the series are the antics between arcs, and they never last long enough! Would love to see Gotouge try something like Sket Dance/Gintama though. Her handling of character interactions is some of the best in Jump, and she's great with comedy too.

I actually feel doing a battle shounen, especially one like Kimetsu where a lot of time is spent developing villains who'll soon be lost from the story, is kind of a waste and writing against her strengths.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
The fact there is non-stop talking about S8 means quite a lot (like rename the thread to S8 Discussion already). No one was talking that much for the cancelled series when they were underperforming. Sale-wise it may not be the hottest shit, but talk-wise it is a hot-shit. Worst case scenario if fails in sales is moving it elsewhere and that will be at least after 5 volumes. No way it's getting cancelled anytime soon.

Also I'm happy it's getting english physical release next year too. Next step, TV anime in 2 years!

You can continue talking how big of a failure is, and in the mean time I will keep waiting for my copies of the manga to arrive and enjoy them.
That's good for you, man. That you're enjoying it. No one can take that away from you. And you shouldn't let forums like this ruin your admiration of a series.

Doesn't take away the fact that it's doing poorly in sales at the moment. It can still grow in the next few volumes. So we are going to have to wait and see. But yes, it's debut has been underwhelming at the very least.

Also, it was expected that everyone would talk about it often. It was Kishimoto's return series after Naruto. It'll be the same if Kubo came back and way more if Oda finished One Piece and returned.
Completely agree with 100nemesis here. If you truly enjoy the series, criticism from other should not affect your enjoyment at all.
Also, there are reason why over 50 pages talking about it. Looking back at the poll, 78.6% expected it to sell more than 40k. Right now, its performance is worse than Hinomaru, which is a 25k seller. No wonder people won't shut up about this.
Especially, 18.4% expected it to perform above 120k, one of them is 100nemesis. Yet, 100nemesis have the most level-headed reaction. That behaviour deserves a round of applause.
And not to forget the elephant in the room. Rain, the most active member in this thread, now has even more opportunities to propagate his opinion. So unless you ignore him, you will keep seeing he go on and on about how horrible s8 is, how it murdered his family, and his determination to pay back. Tho, I hope he is tired and running out of steam to work up about s8 now.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top