Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,549
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall

Kharthas

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
420
Age
34
Country
United States
At this point can we point the finger at the aggressive marketing campaign as the culprit behind Samurai 8's lukewarm reception?
I think Kishimoto's comeback work could have sold much more just by itself. Who's on earth thinks the pamphlets is a good idea?
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I guess it's about time I start reading Kimetsu. Especially after all this hype.
I... honestly haven’t had time to watch Kimetsu after its first three episodes but with its massive hype in Japan and actually having the potential to break out in the West...

Man, I need to read more manga.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
At this point can we point the finger at the aggressive marketing campaign as the culprit behind Samurai 8's lukewarm reception?
I think Kishimoto's comeback work could have sold much more just by itself. Who's on earth thinks the pamphlets is a good idea?
I mean Kimetsu and TPN both had the same aggressive campaign and it worked out for them. I think the problem is that Sam8 wasn't up to snuff and the fact that it takes two volumes to actually get moving hurt it a lot because even the staff realized what a misstep the first volume was that it needed this double bill.
 

hisoga

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
If KnY backlogs sold 40k-50k per week like this, can KnY beat OP before this year cut off?
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
At this point can we point the finger at the aggressive marketing campaign as the culprit behind Samurai 8's lukewarm reception?
I think Kishimoto's comeback work could have sold much more just by itself. Who's on earth thinks the pamphlets is a good idea?
I really doubt the aggressive marketing campaign was the main problem.

In fact, part of the reason for this aggresive marketing campaign is likely because the reception of Samurai 8 is lukewarm.

I mean, Samurai 8 has been at the bottom of the TOC for a good time. Jump should know there were problems.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
However Samurai 8 at least overall has exceeded 20k, it could manage to reach 30k at the end of the month.




Not this month.
I mean, neither of us specified when it would take over. If you weren't so fixated in making passive aggressive comments and trying to always seem like the smarter one in the room, basic comprehension skills would sufice for you.

I mean Kimetsu and TPN both had the same aggressive campaign and it worked out for them. I think the problem is that Sam8 wasn't up to snuff and the fact that it takes two volumes to actually get moving hurt it a lot because even the staff realized what a misstep the first volume was that it needed this double bill.
KNY and TPN didn't have aggressive marketing at all, at least not as aggressive as S8's. S8 was a pretty hyped announcement last year, got street ads and they were giving out countless flyers to get people to buying it. Shueisha wasn't expecting such a let down in sales.

If KnY backlogs sold 40k-50k per week like this, can KnY beat OP before this year cut off?
Yes. It's pretty close right now, so if the backlog stays stable for a few more weeks, it can be on top.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't remember there being literal spam flyers advertising KNY and TPN in the volumes of every other Shueisha manga.
You do realize that there were adverts for all of the Jump manga being sold that week in those pamphlets right?


And of course lets not forget the PUSH meme being the reason why nobody takes the TOC seriously anymore.


Sam8's campaign should be ridiculed but its not the only time Shuiesha had done an aggressive push campaign for a series this decade the only difference is that the campaign worked for a few series but failed for many others.

KNY and TPN didn't have aggressive marketing at all, at least not as aggressive as S8's. S8 was a pretty hyped announcement last year, got street ads and they were giving out countless flyers to get people to buying it. Shueisha wasn't expecting such a let down in sales.
Both had author recommendations, Neverland had two AmeTalk appearances and Aniplex has been agressively shilling Kimetsu the latest volume came with limited edition anime bookmarks hence the abnormallly high sales this week and the releasing why they've been scrapling volumes for high marks online. Don't you dare say neither had an aggressive marketing campaign.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,549
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Lol, I can just imagine the emergency meetings Shueisha is having with Kishimoto and his editor. Curious to see how S8 changes because of this development.
I believe that Kishimoto and editor will have to sit at a table and try to satisfy the requests of readers who are more or less:

-Introduction of a counterpart of the protagonist (in short, the Sasuke of the situation)
- Less invincibility of the protagonist from the physical point of view
- Less explanation.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
well, no formatting again


OP 94



KNY 17


extras




TPN 16


SNS 36



BC 22


JJK 7


Boruto 9


Yuuna 18


HZ 27
no line charts since week 1

No charts until at least 5 volumes

CSM will get it's chart next volume, but I'll have the line chart up next week


no chart for SxF and S8

but it is in the works (again, 5 volumes)

site will be updated tomorrow or this weekend
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I mean Kimetsu and TPN both had the same aggressive campaign and it worked out for them. I think the problem is that Sam8 wasn't up to snuff and the fact that it takes two volumes to actually get moving hurt it a lot because even the staff realized what a misstep the first volume was that it needed this double bill.
Jump Super PUSH is nowhere near aggressive as this dumb campaign.
Kimetsu beginning was at risk of axe that it's barely survive till spider mountain and only truly know to the mainstream since episode 19. I still recall the time when kimetsu begged other manga fan to read it in 4chan. It's still surreal how big kimetsu when even my non weab friend know about it.
TPN only got pushed hard when super Push become a thing, and it was critical acclaim back then (iirc it received some awards). The first arc really deserved that, with nicely done mystery that intrigued everyone. Quite ashamed how the writer just rush every single bit of world building since the escape.
 

KoL2.0

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 6, 2019
Messages
37
Reaction score
35
Age
29
Country
United States
I'm trying to see what don't the Japanese Audience like about it. We know more people read it than bought it initially....idk, I'm not even gonna speculate. It's funny because In America, I could kill to do 12k sales in 3 days for my Book/GN. This is the equivalent of like...Rick Riordan's next Big Series after Percy Jackson selling like...60k first week, but I digress.

I see this as a positive. This shows us how many people stuck around after the first couple of chapters. I believe each vol. Can break 30-35k apiece by this the end of October. Kishi has his Niche Audience, so barring any negative developments from here on out, I think it can only Grow from here. I think vol. 3 will open to at least double vol. 1 sales if Kishi keeps the ship going steady.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jump Super PUSH is nowhere near aggressive as this dumb campaign.
It was its why people shat on Nakano constantly for pushing series that didn't deserve it. Not only have they done this shit before with Sam8 its not even a hindrance.

Kimetsu beginning was at risk of axe that it's barely survive till spider mountain and only truly know to the mainstream since episode 19. I still recall the time when kimetsu begged other manga fan to read it in 4chan. It's still surreal how big kimetsu when even my non weab friend know about it.
Kimetsu had two author recommendations when it began and already had a cult following online before the anime came out.

TPN only got pushed hard when super Push become a thing, and it was critical acclaim back then (iirc it received some awards). The first arc really deserved that, with nicely done mystery that intrigued everyone. Quite ashamed how the writer just rush every single bit of world building since the escape.
It went on AmeTalk...twice whereas series like Heroaca never even had a segment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top