Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PluemBNK48

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
90
Reaction score
283
Age
28
Country
Thailand
I can see Haikyuu! get a Lead color page when it return in issue 48(With the lastest chapter)
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
Oda won't allow anybody to beat One Piece. He will force the editors to not make any KNY reprints before the ranking is out. And when One Piece is the #1 again people will only hear "Zehahahaha!!" coming out of his house.
It is a joke of course but there is saying that goes "in every joke there is a dozen of joke" I wonder is Shueisha really wants to any other of its series to sell better that OP. It is the face of jump after all.
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
It is a joke of course but there is saying that goes "in every joke there is a dozen of joke" I wonder is Shueisha really wants to any other of its series to sell better that OP. It is the face of jump after all.
OP isn't going to run forever so of course they would want other series to sell as much or even better

And it's not like Kimetsu or other jump manga are anywhere close in terms of sales per volume which is what ultimately matters
 

costicla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
690
Reaction score
603
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
so which series deserve then lol?
Plenty of other manga that ain't exorcist manga number 1001. Heck, I think it would have been great if Slam Dunk managed to beat it last year, or Kingdom this year. but, well, Kingdom got Pierot....
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 10/10

#1 One Piece 94
#2 The Promised Neverland 16
#6 Spy X Family 2
#9 Kimetsu no Yaiba 17
#12 Shokugeki no Soma 36
#13 Black Clover 22
#14 Jujutsu Kaisen 7
#18 Boruto 9
#22 Gotouge Koyoharu's Collection of Short Stories
#42 Chainsaw Man 4
#52 Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
#94 Samurai 8 1
#104 Samurai 8 2
#119 Hinomaruzumou 27
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Kimetsu's lack of stock is taking a serious hit to volume 17's sales, damn.
2.5d Seduction close to overtake Samurai 8 Vol 2

104 9784088820828 サムライ8 八丸伝 2 集英社 大久保彰 2019.10.4
107 9784088821290 2.5次元の誘惑 1 集英社 橋本悠 2019.10.4
Dang, Vol.2 already out of Top100 and Vol.1 close to it. And that after just one week. That's such a free fall. I don't have a feeling that Vol.3 will turn that around. Sucks for Kishimoto and Jump, but I guess you cannot demand popularity just for pushing a lot and for having a famous mangaka write a new series.

Glad to see both SxF and KnY in Top10 despite KnY being sold out nearly everywhere and SxF also reaching their limits of possible sales due print number. Guess both might get a big reprint to keep customers happy. Which place is SxF1? It was like 53 last time or so from what I remember or even Top50 in daily rankings.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I voted Kimetsu even tho I don't think it will. But Kimetsu deserves the vote solely because this conversation even exists.
What an unpredictable monster the series has become.
Also I wanna say "Move over OP, the new King is here" but let's wait and see if I get the chance to actually say that.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Whatever boost that Kimetsu got,the credit fully goes to Ufotable,their amazing adaptation made this much boost increase.

I also wonder if more Mangaka will want to their series to be taken up by Ufotable.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Dang, Vol.2 already out of Top100 and Vol.1 close to it. And that after just one week. That's such a free fall. I don't have a feeling that Vol.3 will turn that around. Sucks for Kishimoto and Jump, but I guess you cannot demand popularity just for pushing a lot and for having a famous mangaka write a new series.

Glad to see both SxF and KnY in Top10 despite KnY being sold out nearly everywhere and SxF also reaching their limits of possible sales due print number. Guess both might get a big reprint to keep customers happy. Which place is SxF1? It was like 53 last time or so from what I remember or even Top50 in daily rankings.
It's number 43 this time.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Whatever boost that Kimetsu got,the credit fully goes to Ufotable,their amazing adaptation made this much boost increase.

I also wonder if more Mangaka will want to their series to be taken up by Ufotable.
Ufotable, Bones, and Madhouse should be at the very top of mangakas' lists. The process of how a manga gets adapted has been said to be a mix of the authors/publisher's request or the studios coming forward. But as KnY's success has shown, a manga can receive a massive boost if it's handled by the right studio. I think that from here on, mangakas should be more proactive in selecting studios.

I haven't read KnY yet, but if rumors of it close to ending are true, then it's a shame. Because if KnY's story had a longer shelf life like MHA, it is undoubtedly part of a Big Two with MHA.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Ufotable, Bones, and Madhouse should be at the very top of mangakas' lists. The process of how a manga gets adapted has been said to be a mix of the authors/publisher's request or the studios coming forward. But as KnY's success has shown, a manga can receive a massive boost if it's handled by the right studio. I think that from here on, mangakas should be more proactive in selecting studios.

I haven't read KnY yet, but if rumors of it close to ending are true, then it's a shame. Because if KnY's story had a longer shelf life like MHA, it is undoubtedly part of a Big Two with MHA.
You should add WIT studio too,the way they did Attack on Titan and made it one of the most popular manga of all time,they also deserve credit.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,552
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Dang, Vol.2 already out of Top100 and Vol.1 close to it. And that after just one week. That's such a free fall. I don't have a feeling that Vol.3 will turn that around. Sucks for Kishimoto and Jump, but I guess you cannot demand popularity just for pushing a lot and for having a famous mangaka write a new series.
It is not said at all.

I have read of several readers who find these last interesting chapters, if they adjust the story just enough to attract the interest of other readers, it might as well get by.

In any case Kishimoto himself, in my opinion, was expecting his work to have encountered difficulties.



I haven't read KnY yet, but if rumors of it close to ending are true, then it's a shame. Because if KnY's story had a longer shelf life like MHA, it is undoubtedly part of a Big Two with MHA.
But it's not true.


Why is there this belief that a series must necessarily be long to be beautiful?

There are so many quality series that don't go on for years.

In my opinion, Kimetsu is right to take his time and not just be extended for profit.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
You should add WIT studio too,the way they did Attack on Titan and made it one of the most popular manga of all time,they also deserve credit.
I was thinking of mentioning that, but I think the three I mentioned might be more popular in the mainstream audience. Plus, those three are much more well-established imo. Bones and Madhouse for much longer, while Ufotable is well known for the Fate franchise, but recently, thanks to KnY they've gotten a major profile boost.

Make no mistake, Wit studio should be counted along those three, but I feel as far as establishing themselves, Bones and Madhouse have a more solid record, whereas Wit studio isn't even ten years old. Ufotable is around the same age, but when discussing top-tier studios to boost a manga's popularity, I believe people would recognize Ufotable more than Wit studio. It doesn't help that the latter had gone through development hell for some time.

It is not said at all.

I have read of several readers who find these last interesting chapters, if they adjust the story just enough to attract the interest of other readers, it might as well get by.

In any case Kishimoto himself, in my opinion, was expecting his work to have encountered difficulties.





But it's not true.


Why is there this belief that a series must necessarily be long to be beautiful?

There are so many quality series that don't go on for years.

In my opinion, Kimetsu is right to take his time and not just be extended for profit.
I agree. Look no further than Slam Dunk and Rurouni Kenshin, all of which ended in less than 30 volumes (or around it). I just think it would benefit KnY more if it could go for that. After this massive boost the manga's gotten, it would be in Wani-sensei's interest to take advantage of this jump in popularity and prolong it. Hell, even 40 volumes would be enough.

I do understand though, that there is a risk in doing so. I would prefer if the mangaka could end their manga in their own terms, but now that there's this leap in popularity, I feel it's kind of a wasted opportunity if the mangaka didn't prolong it just a little bit more.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,552
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Hell, even 40 volumes would be enough.
No, for a type of story like Kimetsu IMHO 40 volumes are too many.

They would only end up lengthening the story and making it worse.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
1,214
Country
United Nations
I'd love Kimetsu to beat One Piece, but I don't see it possible. I see there is just a 1% of happening.

Kimetsu volumes to run out of stock precisely in this moment (SxF has surpassed it in Shoseki rankings) make the feat even more impossible
Am I the only one who thinks this might actually help the sales? Kimetsu being sold out everywhere has been a hot topic on the internet, and it had big notes in the stores saying 'sold out.' If anyone wasn't aware of the series before, they are now.

If they are smart and announce it when volume 17 becomes available against, they might get a second rush even bigger than when the volume first came out.
 

hisoga

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
83
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
I vote NO because i like to live dangerously... :nosebleed
 

DoctorNero

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 25, 2018
Messages
32
Reaction score
58
Age
31
Country
Bulgaria
Whatever boost that Kimetsu got,the credit fully goes to Ufotable,their amazing adaptation made this much boost increase.

I also wonder if more Mangaka will want to their series to be taken up by Ufotable.
The anime being double cour also helped. Yes, there was a boost to the overall sales after the first cour, but Kimetsu became the monster that it is because of the second cour.

So, here's a question for you guys. Do you think that jump might be more willing to let decent selling manga build up a hefty backlog before going for the anime adaptation with the 2 cours. Though of course the quality of the adaptation matters.

Both Jujutsu and Act Age are established series in the magazine with zero risk of cancelation( and Chainsaw Man is selling pretty good too) , so maybe giving them another year to build up a backlog before getting an anime might be better than an anime announcement at this year's Jump Festa.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top