Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
Only two this time and one is adapting an anime that's over a year old? Maybe Jump is just having issues with no one submitting anything worth serializing, even on Jump+.
Platinum End also feels like it might be ending in another 3-4 chapters.

We really need new blood here.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Darn it Double Taisei, pull that sudden change in plot like you normally do in your series and suddenly have an explosion of popularity! At least enough to last another round...
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Only two this time and one is adapting an anime that's over a year old? Maybe Jump is just having issues with no one submitting anything worth serializing, even on Jump+.
Neither is the second one a recent thing. Himitsu no Kajitsu (the title of the 2nd new series) received a serialization reward from winning the Jump+ Rookie Grand Prix Cup.

Goddamn... I got a little worried and thought Mato Seihei might not be doing alright compared to others... then I scrolled down.

I'm not exactly sure how well or how badly each of the new Jump+ series are doing, but they seem to be ranking much, much higher than the Jump flops. I guess I'll have to wait for Shoseki or Book-rank numbers.
I only have hopes for Haikyuu-bu and Koi Goku no Toshi here.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
How many manga are currently serializing on Jump+ right now and out of those, which ones are likely to survive the axe? It seems like there's a lot of stuff already on the website, but yet like a good 80% of it is axe fodder.

Neither is the second one a recent thing. Himitsu no Kajitsu (the title of the 2nd new series) received a serialization reward from winning the Jump+ Rookie Grand Prix Cup.



I only have hopes for Haikyuu-bu and Koi Goku no Toshi here.
Yikes, Heart Gear's gonna have to rely on France to potentially save it again.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
Darn it Double Taisei, pull that sudden change in plot like you normally do in your series and suddenly have an explosion of popularity! At least enough to last another round...
Hey, remember when this was a series about a guy with two personalities?

What happened to that?
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I think Hidarikiki no Eren is the benchmark for success in Jump+. Doesn't it have an upcoming TV drama adaptation?
Also, with the current situation in Young Jump, I can already see Shueisha's grand promotion campaign for 2020 and bazillion new titles on all Jump magazines.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Hey, remember when this was a series about a guy with two personalities?

What happened to that?
That still gets talked about every now and then, such as it being brought up in the last chapter. That's kind of taken a backseat lately with all of the pro qualifier matches going on, so each of the 4 friends of Sei basically got a chapter or 2 primarily devoted to their background and/or their match against Sei. I will say that right now, my boy Haga is up to some pretty interesting stuff concerning the whole Tai/Sei thing.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
How many manga are currently serializing on Jump+ right now and out of those, which ones are likely to survive the axe? It seems like there's a lot of stuff already on the website, but yet like a good 80% of it is axe fodder.
Abyss Rage is among the top viewed series in the app but with disastrous tankobon sales. Hence why the manga stopped with print releases and switched to online only volumes.

Just mentioning Jump+/MangaPlus series, Dear Sa-chan, Spotless Love, Curtain's Up, Arata Primal and Moon Land all have poor to horrible sales . I assume Moon Land is still alive thanks to the fact it's editor is also a Chainsaw Man/Spy x Family one, which are the 2 newbie highlights for Jump this year. Surely not because of the views, which are one of the lowest "per chapter" there from what I remember.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Jump Festa 2020 Super Stage Performers

-Natsuki Hanae (Tanjiro)
-Akari Kitou (Nezuko)
-Hiro Shimono (Zenitsu)
-Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Inosuke)


The Promised Neverland: Jump Festa 2020 Super Stage Performers


-Sumire Morohoshi (Emma)
-Mariya Ise (Ray)
-Maaya Uchida (Norman)
-Yuko Kaida (Isabella)
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I think Hidarikiki no Eren is the benchmark for success in Jump+. Doesn't it have an upcoming TV drama adaptation?
Also, with the current situation in Young Jump, I can already see Shueisha's grand promotion campaign for 2020 and bazillion new titles on all Jump magazines.
I just hope Alma survives in YJ. Pretty please!
 

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 29, 2018
Messages
5,924
Reaction score
3,413
Age
31
Country
United States
.
Didn't know that Death Note and Nana had actually beaten One Piece once in the past.(Nana is really a good series :wtf )


Kimetsu surpassing OP in yearly sales was one thing i was eagerly waiting for and i am glad that it happened finally. :allthe


@King Moe it apparently happened now.
Don't think it be end result though especially it took DS it's whole full 1-17 volumes to get the job to compete with few volumes OP has especially it didn't do it's regular 4 volumes before, I don't see this much as true surpassing as much especially when you look at regular sales of DS volumes only hitting 300,000+ while OP volumes naturally hit in millions :hi .
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
.

Don't think it be end result though especially it took DS it's whole full 1-17 volumes to get the job to compete with few volumes OP has especially it didn't do it's regular 4 volumes before, I don't see this much as true surpassing as much especially when you look at regular sales of DS volumes only hitting 300,000+ while OP volumes naturally hit in millions :hi .
Well at least this year KNY beat OP
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Obviously it will never touch One Piece's per-volume though, but that's not a terrible fact, it's just like saying Kimetsu will never get to Batman or Superman's sales. It's a different world and comparing to gods is just depressing lol.

I think KnY's new volume sales will increase or stay the same in 2020 as fans who have bought the whole backlog know it will end reasonably soon and collecting all the volumes is a doable feat. Such is the advantage of easily-collectable-length series.

Also to all Double Taisei fans, I at least look forward to it more than most of the other newbies, but I do hope you realize the series is written really poorly? And it fails to deliver on all the important beats. I just think it's very interesting regardless.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Also to all Double Taisei fans, I at least look forward to it more than most of the other newbies, but I do hope you realize the series is written really poorly? And it fails to deliver on all the important beats. I just think it's very interesting regardless.
Oh yeah, the twists are usually way out of left-field and the first volume's worth of chapters were wild. However, I think the author's strengths are his artwork and the SOL chapters. The chapters where they were playing Life and the one with the date were both really hilarious. Wherever he goes after Double Taisei ends, I hope he decides to go with a romcom/SOL series with a gimmick that he doesn't try to make overly-serious. When coupled with his excellent artwork, I think that mixture of elements would play up his strengths and maximize him finding some success.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Last week's chapter of Mitama Security was hilarious. I think this one has a potential to stay for a longer time in the magazine.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Last week's chapter of Mitama Security was hilarious. I think this one has a potential to stay for a longer time in the magazine.
I know its a very very small sample size but alot of people on the Japan side of twitter really enjoyed last week's chapter

Top 3: Chainsaw Man, Mitama, Haikyu!!
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I know its a very very small sample size but alot of people on the Japan side of twitter really enjoyed last week's chapter

Top 3: Chainsaw Man, Mitama, Haikyu!!
Full list TL

1. Chainsaw Man
2. Mitama Security
3. Haikyuu!!
4. Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. Jujutsu Kaisen
6. Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
7. Double Taisei
8. Act-Age (the lowest it has been on those in recent times I think)
9. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
10. We Never Learn
11. Mission Yozakura Family
12. Dr. Stone
13. Tokyo Grind Horror Channel (Oneshot)
14. My Hero Academia
15. One Piece
16. Dr. Stone Reboot (NEW)
17. Beast Children
18. Samurai 8
19. Black Clover
20. Tokyo Shinobi Squad
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Full list TL

1. Chainsaw Man
2. Mitama Security
3. Haikyuu!!
4. Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. Jujutsu Kaisen
6. Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui
7. Double Taisei
8. Act-Age (the lowest it has been on those in recent times I think)
9. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
10. We Never Learn
11. Mission Yozakura Family
12. Dr. Stone
13. Tokyo Grind Horror Channel (Oneshot)
14. My Hero Academia
15. One Piece
16. Dr. Stone Reboot (NEW)
17. Beast Children
18. Samurai 8
19. Black Clover
20. Tokyo Shinobi Squad
It appears as though the voters in this poll collectively had pretty decent taste overall. I do agree that Mitama had a great chapter this week. Hopefully it keeps it up
 

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 29, 2018
Messages
5,924
Reaction score
3,413
Age
31
Country
United States
Well at least this year KNY beat OP
Let's see on end results as there something that could put OP on top as doesn't it get add on sales from it's light novels especially Ace one that came out this year?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Obviously it will never touch One Piece's per-volume though, but that's not a terrible fact, it's just like saying Kimetsu will never get to Batman or Superman's sales. It's a different world and comparing to gods is just depressing lol.

I think KnY's new volume sales will increase or stay the same in 2020 as fans who have bought the whole backlog know it will end reasonably soon and collecting all the volumes is a doable feat. Such is the advantage of easily-collectable-length series.

Also to all Double Taisei fans, I at least look forward to it more than most of the other newbies, but I do hope you realize the series is written really poorly? And it fails to deliver on all the important beats. I just think it's very interesting regardless.
Could be or it hits it's limit thus far and plus don't forget OP gonna be push much harder and Oda will try to work hard on giving it his all when not holding back. Idk how long DS will survive in long run, but give credit it being one if top series for SJ now, but let's see how that can last.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top