Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
While I agree that it's a shame, there is still a point to doing this in the Jump environment ; if Shueisha sees the quality in your work when you get axed, they'll be more likely to fast-track you on developing a new series for the magazine. We're probably saying goodbye to Taisei soon, but I'm really confident we'll see Fukuda again within the next 2 years.
Though if the three strike system is accurate, that'll be his last shot in WSJ, unless he goes elsewhere (e.g., Jump+) next.
Well, so much for Beast Children selling more than the other two...
It's funny, nobody's really talking about Tokyo Shinobi Squad nearly as much as Double Taisei or even Beast Children, yet it's on track to be the best-selling out of the flops. Again.
Makes sense. Initial Nightow recommendation + being a battle shonen vs. two spokons. Also, shogi series struggling in Jump for years and rugby series not being very common (though one would've thought the RWC hype would've helped a little more).
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,595
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Though if the three strike system is accurate, that'll be his last shot in WSJ, unless he goes elsewhere (e.g., Jump+) next.
This is his second series on Jump, the last one was on GIGA
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
if it's on GIGA then this is his first series, GIGA is all about mini series that doesn't sell.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Though if the three strike system is accurate, that'll be his last shot in WSJ, unless he goes elsewhere (e.g., Jump+) next.
True, but I actually think this could be a "third time's the charm" situation like with Horikoshi. He's figured out his strengths as a mangaka over the course of Double Taisei, now he just needs to put forward a series that will bring out those strengths. I think whatever that ends up being has true potential to be a WSJ success.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,595
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
if it's on GIGA then this is his first series, GIGA is all about mini series that doesn't sell.
Second, his first was Devilyman
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This is his second series on Jump, the last one was on GIGA
Oh, that signature is nice. It's like the one you had on that site where you used the reborn avatar for years. lol
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Did anyone post about TV Tokyo earnings here? If not, here's, courtesy of ANN:

The company cites the growth of overseas business as a factor for its animation business' strong performance. The company reported domestic sales of 3.359 billion yen (about US$31 million), an increase of 1.5%, and overseas sales of 8.277 billion yen (about US$77 million), an increase of 28.6%. TV Tokyo sales are strong in Asia, particularly China, and North America. Sales for the Naruto franchise's games were large in China. As a result, the overseas sales of the company's animation business amounted to 71.1%.

TV Tokyo's top anime franchises, ranked by sales for its first half of the current fiscal year, are as follows:
  1. Naruto
  2. Boruto
  3. Yu-Gi-Oh!
  4. Black Clover
  5. Bleach
TV Tokyo's top anime franchises, ranked by gross profit for its first half of the current fiscal year, are as follows:
  1. Naruto
  2. Boruto
  3. Pokémon
  4. Black Clover
  5. Yu-Gi-Oh!
TV Tokyo's subsidiary anime channel AT-X reported sales of 2.798 billion yen (about US$26 million), an increase of 5.8%. The number of subscribers to AT-X continues to decline.

 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
New poll is up.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
True, but I actually think this could be a "third time's the charm" situation like with Horikoshi. He's figured out his strengths as a mangaka over the course of Double Taisei, now he just needs to put forward a series that will bring out those strengths. I think whatever that ends up being has true potential to be a WSJ success.
This is what I'm banking on too. I'm guessing there's going to be a need for several new romcoms throughout 2020, and honestly, his artwork puts him as one of my top contenders for landing one of the next romcoms that actually sticks in the magazine. The improvement in his artwork from the time between Devilyman and now is certainly noticeable.

As for the new poll, I'd say it'll probably be Jujutsu Kaisen since it was a huge hit from the start and it would be for the best to strike while the iron's hot rather than wait too long for sales to start to plateau or decline before announcing the adaptation. However, I would really love to see Act-Age adapted first, perhaps by the studio that did Kaguya's anime.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Jujutsu, Jujutsu, Jujutsu. It's the oldest out of the three, and it's the most battle-shonen-like out of the three, so it's an easier sell.

This is what I'm banking on too. I'm guessing there's going to be a need for several new romcoms throughout 2020, and honestly, his artwork puts him as one of my top contenders for landing one of the next romcoms that actually sticks in the magazine. The improvement in his artwork from the time between Devilyman and now is certainly noticeable.

As for the new poll, I'd say it'll probably be Jujutsu Kaisen since it was a huge hit from the start and it would be for the best to strike while the iron's hot rather than wait too long for sales to start to plateau or decline before announcing the adaptation. However, I would really love to see Act-Age adapted first, perhaps by the studio that did Kaguya's anime.
The team that's doing Kaguya is doing more Kaguya right now and even after that's over with, I'd prefer to see them tackle Spy x Family, since that has essentially a similar appeal.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,595
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Oh, that signature is nice. It's like the one you had on that site where you used the reborn avatar for years. lol
I actually update this since 2012, after the forumPROJECT ended (2016), i used on Union Manga's forum, and i use as my Twitter cover, so i keep updating almost every new batch (so i have a ton of versions on my pc), it took me all this time to use here because i simply forgot about signs since no one uses here, so when i saw Buranchi i decided to use here.

For nostalgia this was the first one i made and used:

 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Jujutsu, Jujutsu, Jujutsu. It's the oldest out of the three, and it's the most battle-shonen-like out of the three, so it's an easier sell.



The team that's doing Kaguya is doing more Kaguya right now and even after that's over with, I'd prefer to see them tackle Spy x Family, since that has essentially a similar appeal.
The team that is doing Kaguya won't be the same for future titles outside of Kaguya which they only are repeating due to being the same series (and probably because they were booked already). It's very rare for the same exact staff, even in lead positions, to be on other projects. And all of those are freelancers, so many could be booked on to work on other companies in the future. Don't forget that the studio is the one first chosen, later it comes the staff being contracted if the studio isn't like Kyoani or Toei Animation where many of the directors, scriptwriters, character designers and so on are internals.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, Spy x Family if it comes (since it's a jump+ title after all, we only got a few of them compared to how much is and was out), will be on 2021 at best.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I actually update this since 2012, after the forumPROJECT ended (2016), i used on Union Manga's forum, and i use as my Twitter cover, so i keep updating almost every new batch (so i have a ton of versions on my pc), it took me all this time to use here because i simply forgot about signs since no one uses here, so when i saw Buranchi i decided to use here.

For nostalgia this was the first one i made and used:

That's cool, I always liked it. And yeah, I remember you using it from forum project (I forgot that name, but I was there, if only for your TOC thread. :P and also your thread with chapters of manga.)

I hope you continue to do it in the future, it's a cool thing to show the protags of the current titles.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
True, but I actually think this could be a "third time's the charm" situation like with Horikoshi. He's figured out his strengths as a mangaka over the course of Double Taisei, now he just needs to put forward a series that will bring out those strengths. I think whatever that ends up being has true potential to be a WSJ success.
Yeah, hope so too. Needs to choose a subject he enjoys and go in with a detailed plan.
Jujutsu, Jujutsu, Jujutsu. It's the oldest out of the three, and it's the most battle-shonen-like out of the three, so it's an easier sell.
AA is a little older (6 weeks).
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
The team that is doing Kaguya won't be the same for future titles outside of Kaguya which they only are repeating due to being the same series (and probably because they were booked already). It's very rare for the same exact staff, even in lead positions, to be on other projects. And all of those are freelancers, so many could be booked on to work on other companies in the future. Don't forget that the studio is the one first chosen, later it comes the staff being contracted if the studio isn't like Kyoani or Toei Animation where many of the directors, scriptwriters, character designers and so on are internals.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, Spy x Family if it comes (since it's a jump+ title after all, we only got a few of them compared to how much is and was out), will be on 2021 at best.
--- Double Post Merged, ---



That's cool, I always liked it. And yeah, I remember you using it from forum project (I forgot that name, but I was there, if only for your TOC thread. :P and also your thread with chapters of manga.)

I hope you continue to do it in the future, it's a cool thing to show the protags of the current titles.
Right, sorry about that. When I said I wanted them to do Spy x Family, I was more hopeful than anything, since it’s really unlikely.

Yeah, hope so too. Needs to choose a subject he enjoys and go in with a detailed plan.

AA is a little older (6 weeks).
...oh, yeah, the AA/Bozebeats round did come before JuJu/Noah’s Notes/Ziga round. It’s so weird, I honestly thought Bozebeats and Noah’s Notes would survive.
I still think Jujutsu will get the anime first cause it’s easier for Jump to sell, being a battle shonen manga.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,595
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Maybe Fukuda should try a detective manga, he clearly like more dark stuff and weird/exotic characters, his art would perfectly fit in a detective manga and he could do a lot of psychological and comedy stuff with weird and insane characters since a detective manga is more about dialogues, interactions and etc.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Beast, Taisei, and TSS are for sure dead at this point I guess, and it's not even clear which of the 3 they'd pick if they only need to end 2. Maybe they'll just cancel all 3 anyway and leave an extra spot open again.

Yui Kamio still makes me curious, it's clearly building up to finale stuff but it's hard to tell how quickly, and I still feel it'll live through another batch or two. I think it's still possible at this point for it to survive past 50 chapters, even if just barely.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
Did anyone post about TV Tokyo earnings here? If not, here's, courtesy of ANN:

The company cites the growth of overseas business as a factor for its animation business' strong performance. The company reported domestic sales of 3.359 billion yen (about US$31 million), an increase of 1.5%, and overseas sales of 8.277 billion yen (about US$77 million), an increase of 28.6%. TV Tokyo sales are strong in Asia, particularly China, and North America. Sales for the Naruto franchise's games were large in China. As a result, the overseas sales of the company's animation business amounted to 71.1%.

TV Tokyo's top anime franchises, ranked by sales for its first half of the current fiscal year, are as follows:
  1. Naruto
  2. Boruto
  3. Yu-Gi-Oh!
  4. Black Clover
  5. Bleach
TV Tokyo's top anime franchises, ranked by gross profit for its first half of the current fiscal year, are as follows:
  1. Naruto
  2. Boruto
  3. Pokémon
  4. Black Clover
  5. Yu-Gi-Oh!
TV Tokyo's subsidiary anime channel AT-X reported sales of 2.798 billion yen (about US$26 million), an increase of 5.8%. The number of subscribers to AT-X continues to decline.

Black Clover kind of surprises me.

I suppose One Piece isn't part of the property then?


I actually update this since 2012, after the forumPROJECT ended (2016), i used on Union Manga's forum, and i use as my Twitter cover, so i keep updating almost every new batch (so i have a ton of versions on my pc), it took me all this time to use here because i simply forgot about signs since no one uses here, so when i saw Buranchi i decided to use here.

For nostalgia this was the first one i made and used:

Oh wow. So there's really only two series left, and one of them might be ending soon.

Talk about a crazy decade.


Beast, Taisei, and TSS are for sure dead at this point I guess, and it's not even clear which of the 3 they'd pick if they only need to end 2. Maybe they'll just cancel all 3 anyway and leave an extra spot open again.

Yui Kamio still makes me curious, it's clearly building up to finale stuff but it's hard to tell how quickly, and I still feel it'll live through another batch or two. I think it's still possible at this point for it to survive past 50 chapters, even if just barely.
I dunno, I could see it end in 3-4 chapters.

The only one that isn't giving me cancellation vibes is TSS. But that one was pretty episodic from the start, so I guess the author wouldn't need to wrap up much.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Let's see on end results as there something that could put OP on top as doesn't it get add on sales from it's light novels especially Ace one that came out this year?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Could be or it hits it's limit thus far and plus don't forget OP gonna be push much harder and Oda will try to work hard on giving it his all when not holding back. Idk how long DS will survive in long run, but give credit it being one if top series for SJ now, but let's see how that can last.
Light novel sales don't add to manga sales though,


----

Btw i don't know if anyone knows this but it seems Naruto and Dragon Ball lost their third and second position in highest sales in manga history to Golgo manga.


It is a great feat for a dark & seinen manga.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top