Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 1036 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Kimetsu no Yaiba: 20 Million Copies
This was expected but still wow. KNY really got 16.5 additional copies in print in less than a single year. I assume they are already counting the next volume's prints and the reprints that will go out next month but this is amazing still. What if it ends up passing MHA in copies in print? That would wild.

TyVip

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Can someone explains this HYPE mentality? Each week as you guys can see roughly the same amount of people buy copies, so it is safe to assume that they are all the same people buying up all 17 volumes (that doesn't account for the people that actually watch the anime or not). What i'm trying to say is there will be folks who buy because of HYPE alone.

Also the anime watchers that buy the volume. Do they buy it to support the series? collection purpose? Catching up? Like these people don't even know the series exists until the anime (this is general talk). Like if i'm an anime watcher, wouldn't make sense to buy the blu-ray/dvd instead? I know they are super expensive in Japan.

It was the same thing with Kingdom actually, people buying up 50+ volumes in a really short period of time. Like what if you get bored of it after the 10th volume?

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
To me, this almost feels like another One Piece Strong World moment, where after the film released, everyone in Japan went absolutely insane for One Piece and it broke records left and right.

KnY's anime is pretty much another Strong World moment, except on a lesser degree. The real question is, will the KnY movie have another similar effect?

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Seems like it's really hard to users here just accept that Yaiba is really becoming that popular, simple, the anime striked gold and the manga is now basically a million seller, this is what happened with dozens of other series before
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Kimetsu no Yaiba: 20 Million Copies
This is for the franchise (manga, novels, databook and stuff) right?

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Can someone explains this HYPE mentality? Each week as you guys can see roughly the same amount of people buy copies, so it is safe to assume that they are all the same people buying up all 17 volumes (that doesn't account for the people that actually watch the anime or not). What i'm trying to say is there will be folks who buy because of HYPE alone.

Also the anime watchers that buy the volume. Do they buy it to support the series? collection purpose? Catching up? Like these people don't even know the series exists until the anime (this is general talk). Like if i'm an anime watcher, wouldn't make sense to buy the blu-ray/dvd instead? I know they are super expensive in Japan.

It was the same thing with Kingdom actually, people buying up 50+ volumes in a really short period of time. Like what if you get bored of it after the 10th volume?
Unsurprisingly, manga is a lot bigger in Japan. And when the volumes are as cheap as they are, and you get the opportunity to support the creator themselves, it makes sense that many go that route over the anime discs. I imagine Kingdom is an outlier with that volume count, but with only 17 volumes, it's really not that much of an investment (around $75?).

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

There are a lot of factors to take into account. Word of mouth, quality of the anime, enjoyment of the manga itself, many things can play into the current situation, there's no way we can point exactly why KNY's gathering way more attention than we ever imagined. Anime is basically a marketing campaign for the manga, it's easier to access it and check out series that you might like so when people get really into in a series, they will buy the manga's backlog because they want to be up to date, they want to know if the manga is as good as the anime and of course they don't want to wait one year or more for the next season.

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not just the same people buying the volumes multiple times over (although some probably do that). What's happening is that a lot of people loved the anime, decided to buy some of the volumes, and loved what they were reading, so they decided to buy the remaining volumes.

That, plus great word of mouth. It's not a gimmick or anything like that. It's a zeitgeist moment in the anime/manga world/community.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Seems like it's really hard to users here just accept that Yaiba is really becoming that popular, simple, the anime striked gold and the manga is now basically a million seller, this is what happened with dozens of other series before

It actually reads "Breaking through a cumulative total of 20 million comics (manga) copies!" on the side. This could be taken in a lot of ways.

Unsurprisingly, manga is a lot bigger in Japan. And when the volumes are as cheap as they are, and you get the opportunity to support the creator themselves, it makes sense that many go that route over the anime discs. I imagine Kingdom is an outlier with that volume count, but with only 17 volumes, it's really not that much of an investment (around $75?).
69 US dollars actually.

Last edited:

TxxT

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Kimetsu no Yaiba

Volume 1-6 (1 million copies in print)
Volume 1-8 (1.5 million copies in print)
Volume 1-9 (2 million copies in print )
Volume 1-11 (2.5 million copies in print)
(Anime Announced)
Volume 1-13 (3 million copies in print)
Volume 1-15 (5 million copies in print)
(Anime Broadcast Starts)
Volume 1-17 (12 million copies in print)
(Anime Broadcasts Ends)
Volume 1-17 (14 million copies in print)
(2 Weeks After Anime Broadcasts Ends)
Volume 1-17 (16 million copies in print)
Volume 1-17/18 (20 million copies in print)

Yes, if we go by recent printings its series (manga, LN etc) + digital = 20m

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
To me, this almost feels like another One Piece Strong World moment, where after the film released, everyone in Japan went absolutely insane for One Piece and it broke records left and right.

KnY's anime is pretty much another Strong World moment, except on a lesser degree. The real question is, will the KnY movie have another similar effect?
To this day, I still wonder if Bones had adapted up to Ch. 59 of MHA for the first season, and followed that up with S2 the next year adapting Kamino, would they have had a "Strong World" moment as well?

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
People do have a hard time accepting it I feel and a lot of people underestimating it. This has happened before and Dr.Slump will always be one of the most impressive spikes in copies in print I've seen...

5 volumes -> 2,800,000 copies

6 volumes -> 17,500,000 copies

Not to takeaway what Kimetsu achieved since this is amazing.

Kimetsu's timing of its final arc (or rather the "endgame") does play a huge role in this IMO. Think about it...the series attracted a lot of fans thanks to its anime and the series is now in its endgame phase so ofc a lot of people are going to want to get caught up, hence the backlog.

This is literally the perfect time to get caught up with the series.

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico

This week backlogs and the updated list, I know op have some weeks missing but this is what tieba posted

1 鬼 12,057,628
2 海 9,904,851
3 王 7,561,186
4 约 7,407,455
5 五 5,782,363
6 英 4,756,133
7 巨 4,359,824
8 排 4,212,559
9 辉 3,841,647
10 史 3,120,191
11 一拳 2,967,648

TxxT

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Top 11 Best Selling Manga Series of 2019 (alot of series are missing weeks, so not 100% accurate)

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba - 12,057,628
2. One Piece - 9,904,851
3. Kingdom - 7,561,186
4. The Promised Neverland - 7,407,455
5. 5-toubun no Hanayome - 5,782,363
6. My Hero Academia - 4,756,133
7. Attack on Titan - 4,359,824
8. Haikyu!! - 4,212,559
9. Kaguya-sama - 3,841,647
10. Slime - 3,120,191
11. One Punch Man - 2,967,648

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States

Sorry, it's just that while I knew the anime would boost sales, I thought the series would rise to about 400k in a month per volume, since initially it was doing about 100k before hand, IIRC. I certainly wasn't expecting double that, especially since the bigger series apart from One Piece struggle to break 600k in a month.
It's a bunch of things: What I mentioned above, plus the fact that a million per volume by Volume 18 is actually quite feasible, the fact that Kimetsu backlogs showed up in the goddamn Top 50, the fact that it's been consistently doing so for at least a whole fucking month with few signs of slowing down - it's seriously remarkable.

Fun fact, one of the first posts in this thread called Kimetsu blowing up. I don't think many of us were expecting something quite to this extent, though.

TxxT

Reaction score
Country
Japan
I agree the gap should be that huge. KNY will be a wall until its end, MHA has little to no chance of ever coming close to it's monthly sales.
Its crazy how at the start of the year Kimetsu was selling about 150k first month, now at the end of the year its new volume has a chance to potentially hit the 1 million mark in probably 5-6 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.