Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,488
Reaction score
39,483
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

CrimsonEpitaph

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2018
Messages
84
Reaction score
91
Age
35
Country
Israel
It has hit its limit. Prior to S4, volume sales were starting to decline. It'll be interesting to see if S4 contributed anything significantly aside from a few thousand copies in boost. It'll most likely just stagnate.
MHA volume sales have always declined between seasons (the only exceptions are volume 21 who came out two months after the season ended, and volume 24, who is the first to show a sales increase between seasons).
 

NyanPower

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
360
Reaction score
773
Age
25
Country
Italy
MHA volume sales have always declined between seasons (the only exceptions are volume 21 who came out two months after the season ended, and volume 24, who is the first to show a sales increase between seasons).
Kind of weird considering I’m hearing about everything but positive things. As far as I know it kept going downhill quality wise since around the 100th chapter. I wonder why it’s seeing an increase in sales.
Not that I’m complaining, I’m happy for the mangaka anyways
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
It didn't so much go up as it recovered some of the big ground it lost for 23. If we're talking 4 weeks, it went form around 590 in 21 to 580 in 22, to 520 in 23 and then 540 in 24.

But honestly even 23 is only 70K below its peak. If that's the bottom it has (since 24 went up again), that's actually pretty mpressive. Specially compared to how quick TPN has been dropping after the anime boost passed.
 

wothab

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
267
Age
32
Country
Brazil
Kind of weird considering I’m hearing about everything but positive things. As far as I know it kept going downhill quality wise since around the 100th chapter. I wonder why it’s seeing an increase in sales.
Not that I’m complaining, I’m happy for the mangaka anyways
Its a consolidated series running for about 5 years , its gonna have its public by now who will be there volume after volume
I would start to worry if it declines, even if it plateaus it will do fine.
I personally have my grievances with MHA but reckon its pretty much safe for the long term
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
It didn't so much go up as it recovered some of the big ground it lost for 23. If we're talking 4 weeks, it went form around 590 in 21 to 580 in 22, to 520 in 23 and then 540 in 24.

But honestly even 23 is only 70K below its peak. If that's the bottom it has (since 24 went up again), that's actually pretty mpressive. Specially compared to how quick TPN has been dropping after the anime boost passed.
How quick has Neverland been dropping, sales wise? I'm honestly curious. I don't hear much of the series nowadays compared to the beginning of the year. Now it's all Yaiba and Dr. Stone and Chainsawman. xD

Quality-wise, what I hear about MHA is a little more mixed compared to past years - some negative, mostly positive. It's still retaining a relatively large fanbase around the world, though. Personally, I still like the series quite a bit, even if I do have some concerns with it. Then again, I like Horikoshi and the oft-told journey he took to get here, so I'll read till the end for that, at the very least.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Which mangas would Jump put at the bottom under Yozakura and Mitama? at most Yuuna, they don't have any cushion at the moment, there's no reason why the editors would put their best selling mangas in the bottom 3 just to make two newbies look good, this is why i said if both were instant hits or at least have a more visible popularity, but everybody could se what was about to happen when they canceled the 4 series.
I would put TPN down these at well. Quite sad how the manga turned out to be.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Chainsaw Man was also Bottom 5 for a while, before its first volume had been on shelves for about a month. It is now, as we all know, a pretty consistent success.

This is just something that happens to a series when the batch that debuted before it gets cancelled, and the series doesn't have any volumes for sale yet. Doubly so for Yozakura, Mitama, and even S8, because everything above it on the TOC is a long-running success that continues to see good volume sales.

After Volume 1 for Yozakura and Mitama go on sale, and after we get some more series debuts, we'll probably see the two begin to crawl back up the TOC. If we don't see them ascend after both of those things have happened, that would be the time we might start worrying about their long term fate.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
Curtain's Up ended, as predicted. They wrapped that up pretty nicely.

The ending of TSS was okay too, though I don't get why they bothered to introduce that new villain.

Reboot: Byakuya is a lot less about Byakuya than I expected. (Also how did they miss that over 9000 joke)

And Mitama's only straight man turned into a petulant child. I guess she got sick of being the adult of the series.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Yozakura feels to me like a series that really should've been able to survive, but has refused to have any sort of meaningful progress or attempt any proper arcs or use its established cast and as a result is at the bottom. It has a good intro, setting, nice easy to parse art, and a potentially strong cast, but it keeps doing new things rather than building on anything and as such there's just no reason to get excited for the next chapter.

Like compare to the somewhat similar reborn, it also did lots of episodic comedy early on but even then it'd give little arcs to introduce new main cast, for example if the new guy this chapter was in Reborn he'd have gotten a 3-5 chapter semi-serious mini-arc then get added to the main cast. Instead this series quickly rushed a whole potential arc in one chapter.

Seriously, the only new character past ch 1 to get a proper arc introducing them is a minor villain who probably won't show up again. Meanwhile important-looking characters all show up, quickly get through their story as fast as possible, then it's onto the next. What is the writer (or editor) doing?I'm confident they could've made this premise work if story progress wasn't handled so terribly.
It's a gag manga why doe it need plot
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Jump+/MangaPlus's Curtain's Up, I'm Off has ended after 26 chapters and poor sales. Volume 3 will release on Feb 4.

Shame that it ended, but at the same it's nice since I can begin to read this :P
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Still waiting for more Runway in English, but the current stuff in Act-Age is better than Runway best arc so far. Fumetsu has been a drag since the island arc and just got improved recently. Still has to be seen how the timeskip will affect the story. Meanwhile, I can't think of any reason to not recommending CSM beside gore and vulgar. Also, the gore in CSM is much more stylish, and not suddenly disappeared like in Fumetsu


Anyway, I hope our conversation is not too off-topic and got people read those manga just got mentioned.
Are you trying to say that Chainsaw mans story has nothing to offer because you are damn wrong about it. CSM is more than just gore
 

wothab

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
267
Age
32
Country
Brazil
Are you trying to say that Chainsaw mans story has nothing to offer because you are damn wrong about it. CSM is more than just gore
I think he meant that he cant think of good reasons to not recommend CSM aside from a distaste for violence and gore, which implies that he believes CSM has more than it.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
I think he meant that he cant think of good reasons to not recommend CSM aside from a distaste for violence and gore, which implies that he believes CSM has more than it.
Oh oops my bad
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Shoseki Rankings 2/13 - 8/12


59 Blue Flag #07
66 Vigilante My Hero Academia ILLEGALS #08
Needs animes. Curious how the endgame pairings in BLue Flag will be, will make or break the series.

Think HeroAca will be more affected by the movie than actual content (assuming its a good movie)



Kento Matsuura's sendoff tweet for TSS.
Beautiful. Jin will forever be one of the best male character designs, or even designs in general, in the magazine. So cool.

Bro, you can say that to EVERY manga that is/was more populair than Black clover but look what happend to those. Look at the numbers and stop being in denial, You cant predict the future, stop bandwagon smh clown... I'm only worried about tabata success for long activity
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



That's like.. your opinion, if it works and many fans are happy. Than it's not "killing ur own manga"
Only time people were happy with auxillary characters from derivative works showing up in the main story was the BLack Clover anime since they added such an interesting perspective and expanded the world view at a time where we had little to no knowledge of the outside world. HeroAca's is more blatantly you needed to read this to understand this significance which fell flat on most people who didn't read and are not reading. Its vastly clear that Tabata handled it better and raised the quality of the series.

No vanilla HeroAca reader has praised what the chapter did.

BLack Clover is outlasting many manga that is/was more popular than it and will for the future, so...I dont get your point. And on sales, its not about fastest/quickest selling, its about total at the end of the lifetime. Most everyone knows BLack Clover will have more sales than a significant percentage of JUMP series. Why do you think BLack Clover reaching peak sales of the upper 1% of series like Naruto is a widely held and supported view among sensible fans? People aren't just pulling these statements out of their [redacted].

Jump+/MangaPlus's Curtain's Up, I'm Off has ended after 26 chapters and poor sales. Volume 3 will release on Feb 4.

Darn, this was the best manga on the service. It had so much art and was so bar raising. It did what Act-Age couldn't and excelled on so many fronts. If only it wasn't trapped in the Jump+ trap and was in the main magazine. It could have outlasted Soul Catcher(s).
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Darn, this was the best manga on the service. It had so much art and was so bar raising. It did what Act-Age couldn't and excelled on so many fronts. If only it wasn't trapped in the Jump+ trap and was in the main magazine. It could have outlasted Soul Catcher(s).
May I ask, monsieur Sharkbait, what about Act-Age is it you perceive as "lacking"?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
May I ask, monsieur Sharkbait, what about Act-Age is it you perceive as "lacking"?
focus, concentrated cast, realism, high school hijinks. Highschool chapters were the best.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I do somewhat think that Chainsaw Man's violent content is holding it back from marketing somewhat. I mean that I don't see it getting Act-Age treatment anytime soon. It really is a far-cry from the 80's days, were one of the more popular series was Hokuto no Ken....
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I do somewhat think that Chainsaw Man's violent content is holding it back from marketing somewhat. I mean that I don't see it getting Act-Age treatment anytime soon. It really is a far-cry from the 80's days, were one of the more popular series was Hokuto no Ken....
Demon Slayer's also pretty violent, although Chainsaw Man does... add at least one layer of gratuity onto that. I still think that it's going to get plenty of marketing once WSJ is ready to start pushing the series. For the most part, if it's okay enough to be in the magazine, it's probably okay enough to market. With Yuuna as the one possible current exception.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top