Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,434
Reaction score
39,283
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
The mangaka was working with Kodansha for years, including a Shaman King sequel. Kodansha basically bought the series entire rights from Shueisha, so they can't use it in anything or publish the series anymore, unlike series like Saint Seiya, Hokuto no Ken and others which they still can publish older editions and use the franchises in merchandise.
Thanks for answering. I didn't realise that he was working with Kodansha BEFORE he moved. It makes sense now.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Thanks for answering. I didn't realise that he was working with Kodansha BEFORE he moved. It makes sense now.
No, from what I remember he was working with Kodansha but that was after he cut ties with Shueisha. But Shaman King itself only came fully years after he moved out. But I'm going over memory here, I could be remembering wrong.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Thanks for answering. I didn't realise that he was working with Kodansha BEFORE he moved. It makes sense now.
He didn't.
Everything post Shaman King Flowers was in either Shogakukan or Kodansha magazines.
And yes, Shogakukan owns Shueshia but they run as independent companies
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
But you wouldn't know this if somebody hadn't tried it first, would you?
Sure, I wouldn't know how useless it is if no one told me about its existence.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
4,779
Country
Dragonstone
Seems Viz is still adament to promote S8 to the West even with it basically flopping in Japan.
I mean, what else are you supposed to do? You've bought the license and printed the books, why wouldn't you advertise it? Same for the French and German publishers.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
This is probably gonna be the last post of the year for me guys and girls, so give it a read, it's gonna be a fun one if you are into weird Shonen Jump trivia, I can promise you that, and it ends with a fun conspiracy theory of mine.

He didn't.
Everything post Shaman King Flowers was in either Shogakukan or Kodansha magazines.
And yes, Shogakukan owns Shueshia but they run as independent companies
I checked wikipedia and it says that Shueisha was founded by Shogakukan but it was separated the year after that, so that means now Shueish is its own thing, doesn't it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shueisha

Anyway @DreamcastDazia let me explain, @Nemesis your explanation is mostly but I just wanted to point out a minor mistake, regarding titles/licenses like Saint Seiya and Hokuto No Ken.

Saint Seiya:
Saint Seiya as a property wasn't owned by Akita Shoten, it's just that Kurumada decided to publish all its spin-offs in Akita Shoten magazines, e.g. Saint Seiya Episode G and Saint Seiya Saintia Sho ran in Champion Red, Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas, Saint Seiya Next Dimension ran/run in Weekly Shonen Champion, all magazines from Akita Shoten BUT at the same time Kurumada was also publishing Ring Ni Kakero 2 in Shueisha, and Kurumada's original Saint Seiya was republished at least 2 times by Shueisha, once in a kanzenban format and the other in a format I can't remember but it's a format that's basically meant for conbini, I think it's SJR Shonen Jump Remix...

That was prior to January 2019, on January 17th 2019 Akita Shoten got the publishing rights to the original Saint Seiya manga, it only made sense..Every other Saint Seiya manga BUT the original had been publishing under the Akita Shoten imprint for like 17 years.

Hokuto No Ken:
The mangaka that created Hokuto No Ken, along with other Jump authors and former editor of WSJ Nobuhiko Horie founded a new manga editing company Coamix. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Comic_Bunch
So most Hokuto No Ken spin-offs and (City Hunter spin-offs) have ran in the publications of this publisher, other than that Hokuto No Ken was republished by Shogakukan and then by Tokuma Shoten..
I don't think anything by the mangaka of Hokuto No Ken or City Hunter was published by Shueisha other than Hana no Keiji, they seem to have cut ties with Sueisha after 2000 (Or a little before that) when they became "renegade" and basically created a competition to Shueisha.

So.. It's kinda weird that former renegades are "allowed" to be included in most Jump celebrations, e.g. be included in games and exhibitions about Weekly Jump, case in point both Kenshiro and Ryo Saeba appearing in Jump Force and the Jump 50th Exhibition.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

There were 2 important omissions in the Jump 50th anniversary event, one was obviously Shaman King which was mentioned, and the other was anything made by Go Nagai.

I have 2 Weekly Jump artbooks and Nagai's artwork can be seen in the 25th and 30th anniversary artbooks iirc (I don't have the 35th anniversary artbook, so IDK about that).. So maybe Shueisha had a falling with Nagai, or they just deemed Nagai's Harenchi Gakuen too unimportant for it to be even included in the main artwork for the old titles of Jump? I highly doubt it.. I could understand not including Mazinger since Mazinger wasn't only published in Jump but in various magazines of the time, but excluding Harenchi Gakuen? It was one of the important titles that debuted in the very first issue of Weekly Shonen Jump.

EDIT: After having written this whole paragraph I just checked on google and Nagai's art was indeed part of the exhibiton lol
You can clearly see Hige Godzilla, so yeah they included Nagai's avatar instead of actually including Mazinger or another character from its manga..

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Anyway, onto the Shaman King thing.. I have the impression that Takei is I dunno, maybe hard to deal with?
He said on twitter that he had turned down an anime offer... Because they wouldn't use the same Seiyuus..


The same author that gave us the Princess Hao ending.

He also was probably not too happy about how Shueisha had basically cancelled his new SK manga, he wasn't too happy about Shueisha, so I can only imagine that when he was offered the chance to get Shaman King republished by another publisher (Kodansha) he jumped the train.

There's probably some bad blood between Shueisha and Takei, similar to how the mangaka of Zatch Bell said he wouldn't work with Shogakukan again.

In fact pretty much the same thing that happened to Zatch Bell happened to Shaman King, international releases were halted, e.g. the Argentinian release of Shaman King which was a pseudo-kanzenban, a tankobon with color pages, was stopped and IIRC hasn't continued ever since like 2017 when ShamanKing changed publishers, same thing with Zatch Bell, it stopped being released, and even now when Zatch Bell was republished by Kodansha its publication hasn't been continued in US for example.

All in all, I still think that Takei will always have the last word on what Shaman King can appear on and what it can't, so if SK didn't appear in any of Shueisha's promotional materials for Jump's 50th anniversary or Jump Force that's because Takei didn't want it on it, not because Kodansha denied that (I don't think they can actually do that).

Just remember this is a man who turned down an anime offer just because they couldn't use the same seiyuus and music of the old SK anime... Which is something very understandable if we are being honest, for example if it wasn't being made by the same company... How could they use the music another company had made?

I also have this theory that this censored artwork on this shikishi board is Takei's Yoh or something

Why else would you censor which character is in the left corner?

Only if its a mangaka who has some bad blood with yourpublisher, don't you think?
And infamously Takei was part of the Watsuki-Gumi (a group of assistants to Rurouni Kenshin's Nobuhiro Watsuki: Eiichiro Oda, Hiroyuki Takei, Shin'ya Suzuki, Gin Shinga, & Mikio Itou), you can clearly see all of their art present there, just not Gin Shinga because she passed away a long time ago.
(https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Chapter_233) check the trivia on the lowest part of the page for reference.

The other possibility is that this is Miki Itou's (Other assistant to Watsuki) artwork that was censored, which is just highly unlikely..
My other suspect is Kiyu AKA Yuki AKA Matsui Katsunori AKA the God of Cancelled manga

Kiyu has ties to both Watsuki and Takei AND seems like the kind of person that has bad blood with Sueisha too.. But meh, I doubt is his art that's blurred.

It has to be Takei's art, right? It just has to? Like it would be weird to invite everyone in the Watsuki-gang but Takei..

Funny though that you can be associated with two confirmed pedos but you have to blur out the picture of a dude who had an argument with your higher-ups. Japan, right?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
This is probably gonna be the last post of the year for me guys and girls, so give it a read, it's gonna be a fun one if you are into weird Shonen Jump trivia, I can promise you that, and it ends with a fun conspiracy theory of mine.



I checked wikipedia and it says that Shueisha was founded by Shogakukan but it was separated the year after that, so that means now Shueish is its own thing, doesn't it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shueisha

Anyway @DreamcastDazia let me explain, @Nemesis your explanation is mostly but I just wanted to point out a minor mistake, regarding titles/licenses like Saint Seiya and Hokuto No Ken.

Saint Seiya:
Saint Seiya as a property wasn't owned by Akita Shoten, it's just that Kurumada decided to publish all its spin-offs in Akita Shoten magazines, e.g. Saint Seiya Episode G and Saint Seiya Saintia Sho ran in Champion Red, Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas, Saint Seiya Next Dimension ran/run in Weekly Shonen Champion, all magazines from Akita Shoten BUT at the same time Kurumada was also publishing Ring Ni Kakero 2 in Shueisha, and Kurumada's original Saint Seiya was republished at least 2 times by Shueisha, once in a kanzenban format and the other in a format I can't remember but it's a format that's basically meant for conbini, I think it's SJR Shonen Jump Remix...

That was prior to January 2019, on January 17th 2019 Akita Shoten got the publishing rights to the original Saint Seiya manga, it only made sense..Every other Saint Seiya manga BUT the original had been publishing under the Akita Shoten imprint for like 17 years.

Hokuto No Ken:
The mangaka that created Hokuto No Ken, along with other Jump authors and former editor of WSJ Nobuhiko Horie founded a new manga editing company Coamix. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Comic_Bunch
So most Hokuto No Ken spin-offs and (City Hunter spin-offs) have ran in the publications of this publisher, other than that Hokuto No Ken was republished by Shogakukan and then by Tokuma Shoten..
I don't think anything by the mangaka of Hokuto No Ken or City Hunter was published by Shueisha other than Hana no Keiji, they seem to have cut ties with Sueisha after 2000 (Or a little before that) when they became "renegade" and basically created a competition to Shueisha.

So.. It's kinda weird that former renegades are "allowed" to be included in most Jump celebrations, e.g. be included in games and exhibitions about Weekly Jump, case in point both Kenshiro and Ryo Saeba appearing in Jump Force and the Jump 50th Exhibition.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

There were 2 important omissions in the Jump 50th anniversary event, one was obviously Shaman King which was mentioned, and the other was anything made by Go Nagai.

I have 2 Weekly Jump artbooks and Nagai's artwork can be seen in the 25th and 30th anniversary artbooks iirc (I don't have the 35th anniversary artbook, so IDK about that).. So maybe Shueisha had a falling with Nagai, or they just deemed Nagai's Harenchi Gakuen too unimportant for it to be even included in the main artwork for the old titles of Jump? I highly doubt it.. I could understand not including Mazinger since Mazinger wasn't only published in Jump but in various magazines of the time, but excluding Harenchi Gakuen? It was one of the important titles that debuted in the very first issue of Weekly Shonen Jump.

EDIT: After having written this whole paragraph I just checked on google and Nagai's art was indeed part of the exhibiton lol
You can clearly see Hige Godzilla, so yeah they included Nagai's avatar instead of actually including Mazinger or another character from its manga..

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Anyway, onto the Shaman King thing.. I have the impression that Takei is I dunno, maybe hard to deal with?
He said on twitter that he had turned down an anime offer... Because they wouldn't use the same Seiyuus..


The same author that gave us the Princess Hao ending.

He also was probably not too happy about how Shueisha had basically cancelled his new SK manga, he wasn't too happy about Shueisha, so I can only imagine that when he was offered the chance to get Shaman King republished by another publisher (Kodansha) he jumped the train.

There's probably some bad blood between Shueisha and Takei, similar to how the mangaka of Zatch Bell said he wouldn't work with Shogakukan again.

In fact pretty much the same thing that happened to Zatch Bell happened to Shaman King, international releases were halted, e.g. the Argentinian release of Shaman King which was a pseudo-kanzenban, a tankobon with color pages, was stopped and IIRC hasn't continued ever since like 2017 when ShamanKing changed publishers, same thing with Zatch Bell, it stopped being released, and even now when Zatch Bell was republished by Kodansha its publication hasn't been continued in US for example.

All in all, I still think that Takei will always have the last word on what Shaman King can appear on and what it can't, so if SK didn't appear in any of Shueisha's promotional materials for Jump's 50th anniversary or Jump Force that's because Takei didn't want it on it, not because Kodansha denied that (I don't think they can actually do that).

Just remember this is a man who turned down an anime offer just because they couldn't use the same seiyuus and music of the old SK anime... Which is something very understandable if we are being honest, for example if it wasn't being made by the same company... How could they use the music another company had made?

I also have this theory that this censored artwork on this shikishi board is Takei's Yoh or something

Why else would you censor which character is in the left corner?

Only if its a mangaka who has some bad blood with yourpublisher, don't you think?
And infamously Takei was part of the Watsuki-Gumi (a group of assistants to Rurouni Kenshin's Nobuhiro Watsuki: Eiichiro Oda, Hiroyuki Takei, Shin'ya Suzuki, Gin Shinga, & Mikio Itou), you can clearly see all of their art present there, just not Gin Shinga because she passed away a long time ago.
(https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Chapter_233) check the trivia on the lowest part of the page for reference.

The other possibility is that this is Miki Itou's (Other assistant to Watsuki) artwork that was censored, which is just highly unlikely..
My other suspect is Kiyu AKA Yuki AKA Matsui Katsunori AKA the God of Cancelled manga

Kiyu has ties to both Watsuki and Takei AND seems like the kind of person that has bad blood with Sueisha too.. But meh, I doubt is his art that's blurred.

It has to be Takei's art, right? It just has to? Like it would be weird to invite everyone in the Watsuki-gang but Takei..

Funny though that you can be associated with two confirmed pedos but you have to blur out the picture of a dude who had an argument with your higher-ups. Japan, right?
...Have to say, I didn't really need to read a giant history post on late-90s Jump creators, but this is really informative. Kudos.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
The mangaka was working with Kodansha for years, including a Shaman King sequel. Kodansha basically bought the series entire rights from Shueisha, so they can't use it in anything or publish the series anymore, unlike series like Saint Seiya, Hokuto no Ken and others which they still can publish older editions and use the franchises in merchandise.
This is probably gonna be the last post of the year for me guys and girls, so give it a read, it's gonna be a fun one if you are into weird Shonen Jump trivia, I can promise you that, and it ends with a fun conspiracy theory of mine.



I checked wikipedia and it says that Shueisha was founded by Shogakukan but it was separated the year after that, so that means now Shueish is its own thing, doesn't it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shueisha

Anyway @DreamcastDazia let me explain, @Nemesis your explanation is mostly but I just wanted to point out a minor mistake, regarding titles/licenses like Saint Seiya and Hokuto No Ken.

Saint Seiya:
Saint Seiya as a property wasn't owned by Akita Shoten, it's just that Kurumada decided to publish all its spin-offs in Akita Shoten magazines, e.g. Saint Seiya Episode G and Saint Seiya Saintia Sho ran in Champion Red, Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas, Saint Seiya Next Dimension ran/run in Weekly Shonen Champion, all magazines from Akita Shoten BUT at the same time Kurumada was also publishing Ring Ni Kakero 2 in Shueisha, and Kurumada's original Saint Seiya was republished at least 2 times by Shueisha, once in a kanzenban format and the other in a format I can't remember but it's a format that's basically meant for conbini, I think it's SJR Shonen Jump Remix...

That was prior to January 2019, on January 17th 2019 Akita Shoten got the publishing rights to the original Saint Seiya manga, it only made sense..Every other Saint Seiya manga BUT the original had been publishing under the Akita Shoten imprint for like 17 years.

Hokuto No Ken:
The mangaka that created Hokuto No Ken, along with other Jump authors and former editor of WSJ Nobuhiko Horie founded a new manga editing company Coamix. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Comic_Bunch
So most Hokuto No Ken spin-offs and (City Hunter spin-offs) have ran in the publications of this publisher, other than that Hokuto No Ken was republished by Shogakukan and then by Tokuma Shoten..
I don't think anything by the mangaka of Hokuto No Ken or City Hunter was published by Shueisha other than Hana no Keiji, they seem to have cut ties with Sueisha after 2000 (Or a little before that) when they became "renegade" and basically created a competition to Shueisha.

So.. It's kinda weird that former renegades are "allowed" to be included in most Jump celebrations, e.g. be included in games and exhibitions about Weekly Jump, case in point both Kenshiro and Ryo Saeba appearing in Jump Force and the Jump 50th Exhibition.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

There were 2 important omissions in the Jump 50th anniversary event, one was obviously Shaman King which was mentioned, and the other was anything made by Go Nagai.

I have 2 Weekly Jump artbooks and Nagai's artwork can be seen in the 25th and 30th anniversary artbooks iirc (I don't have the 35th anniversary artbook, so IDK about that).. So maybe Shueisha had a falling with Nagai, or they just deemed Nagai's Harenchi Gakuen too unimportant for it to be even included in the main artwork for the old titles of Jump? I highly doubt it.. I could understand not including Mazinger since Mazinger wasn't only published in Jump but in various magazines of the time, but excluding Harenchi Gakuen? It was one of the important titles that debuted in the very first issue of Weekly Shonen Jump.

EDIT: After having written this whole paragraph I just checked on google and Nagai's art was indeed part of the exhibiton lol
You can clearly see Hige Godzilla, so yeah they included Nagai's avatar instead of actually including Mazinger or another character from its manga..

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Anyway, onto the Shaman King thing.. I have the impression that Takei is I dunno, maybe hard to deal with?
He said on twitter that he had turned down an anime offer... Because they wouldn't use the same Seiyuus..


The same author that gave us the Princess Hao ending.

He also was probably not too happy about how Shueisha had basically cancelled his new SK manga, he wasn't too happy about Shueisha, so I can only imagine that when he was offered the chance to get Shaman King republished by another publisher (Kodansha) he jumped the train.

There's probably some bad blood between Shueisha and Takei, similar to how the mangaka of Zatch Bell said he wouldn't work with Shogakukan again.

In fact pretty much the same thing that happened to Zatch Bell happened to Shaman King, international releases were halted, e.g. the Argentinian release of Shaman King which was a pseudo-kanzenban, a tankobon with color pages, was stopped and IIRC hasn't continued ever since like 2017 when ShamanKing changed publishers, same thing with Zatch Bell, it stopped being released, and even now when Zatch Bell was republished by Kodansha its publication hasn't been continued in US for example.

All in all, I still think that Takei will always have the last word on what Shaman King can appear on and what it can't, so if SK didn't appear in any of Shueisha's promotional materials for Jump's 50th anniversary or Jump Force that's because Takei didn't want it on it, not because Kodansha denied that (I don't think they can actually do that).

Just remember this is a man who turned down an anime offer just because they couldn't use the same seiyuus and music of the old SK anime... Which is something very understandable if we are being honest, for example if it wasn't being made by the same company... How could they use the music another company had made?

I also have this theory that this censored artwork on this shikishi board is Takei's Yoh or something

Why else would you censor which character is in the left corner?

Only if its a mangaka who has some bad blood with yourpublisher, don't you think?
And infamously Takei was part of the Watsuki-Gumi (a group of assistants to Rurouni Kenshin's Nobuhiro Watsuki: Eiichiro Oda, Hiroyuki Takei, Shin'ya Suzuki, Gin Shinga, & Mikio Itou), you can clearly see all of their art present there, just not Gin Shinga because she passed away a long time ago.
(https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Chapter_233) check the trivia on the lowest part of the page for reference.

The other possibility is that this is Miki Itou's (Other assistant to Watsuki) artwork that was censored, which is just highly unlikely..
My other suspect is Kiyu AKA Yuki AKA Matsui Katsunori AKA the God of Cancelled manga

Kiyu has ties to both Watsuki and Takei AND seems like the kind of person that has bad blood with Sueisha too.. But meh, I doubt is his art that's blurred.

It has to be Takei's art, right? It just has to? Like it would be weird to invite everyone in the Watsuki-gang but Takei..

Funny though that you can be associated with two confirmed pedos but you have to blur out the picture of a dude who had an argument with your higher-ups. Japan, right?
Reading this made me wonder, do mangaka actually own their series 100%?. The main US comic system is work for hire, so I was wondering if it was the same for Japan. I know that Araki owns Jojo outright with his Lucky Land Communications company, but I feel that's an exception due to his legendary status. I don't think up and comming mangaka have this luxury, but I may be wrong on this.
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Reading this made me wonder, do mangaka actually own their series 100%?. The main US comic system is work for hire, so I was wondering if it was the same for Japan. I know that Araki owns Jojo outright with his Lucky Land Communications company, but I feel that's an expection due to his legendary status. I don't think up and comming mangaka have this luxury, but I may be wrong on this.
Creators have control over the manga themselves, while the publishers handle merchandising like anime.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Reading this made me wonder, do mangaka actually own their series 100%?. The main US comic system is work for hire, so I was wondering if it was the same for Japan. I know that Araki owns Jojo outright with his Lucky Land Communications company, but I feel that's an exception due to his legendary status. I don't think up and comming mangaka have this luxury, but I may be wrong on this.
In general, mangaka owns their series. Editorial usually have certain rights to the publication, but they could not make new content (spin-off, continuation, anime, between others) without mangaka's permission.

That said, I don't think this wouldn't apply to franchises where the manga is a complement at most (Pokemon, Digimon, Precure, between others). In this case, it's pretty likely the mangaka works for hire.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Reading this made me wonder, do mangaka actually own their series 100%?. The main US comic system is work for hire, so I was wondering if it was the same for Japan. I know that Araki owns Jojo outright with his Lucky Land Communications company, but I feel that's an exception due to his legendary status. I don't think up and comming mangaka have this luxury, but I may be wrong on this.
Yes, in Japan it's common for authors to have ownership on their works be it on manga, books, novels or light novels. You always can see the name of the author in copyright along the publisher of the manga. Which in the case of the publisher, they own the publishing rights of the series.

It's also why you can pick your manga and go to another publisher, like Kurumada did with Saint Seiya, for example, that had its series on Shueisha from the beginning but then continued the series with its spin-offs with Akita Shoten. And there's other examples out there even if we just count Shonen Jump, like Hokuto no Ken, City Hunter, Shaman King (which Shueisha can't use anymore at all) and I think just that from WSJ.
 

NyanPower

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
359
Reaction score
772
Age
25
Country
Italy
Shoseku Ranking 12/23


1 9784088821412 鬼滅の刃 18 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.12.4
2 9784065178317 きのう何食べた? 16 講談社 よしながふみ 2019.12.23
3 9784088812120 鬼滅の刃 8 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.10.4
4 9784088811932 鬼滅の刃 7 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.8.4
5 9784088812830 鬼滅の刃 9 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.12.4
6 9784088813554 鬼滅の刃 10 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2018.3.2
7 9784088813998 鬼滅の刃 11 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2018.6.4
8 9784088815404 鬼滅の刃 12 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2018.8.3
9 9784088808260 鬼滅の刃 4 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2016.12.2
10 9784088810263 鬼滅の刃 5 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.3.3
11 9784088810768 鬼滅の刃 6 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2017.5.2
12 9784088816265 鬼滅の刃 13 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2018.11.2
13 9784088816951 鬼滅の刃 14 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.1.4
14 9784088817996 鬼滅の刃 15 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.4.4
15 9784088818672 鬼滅の刃 16 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.7.4
16 9784088807959 鬼滅の刃 3 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2016.10.4
17 9784088807553 鬼滅の刃 2 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2016.8.4
18 9784088820804 鬼滅の刃 17 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2019.10.4
19 9784088807232 鬼滅の刃 1 集英社 吾峠呼世晴 2016.6.3
20 9784091294494 名探偵コナン 97 小学館 青山剛昌 2019.12.18
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Hn, so, reading some interviews in a book on the Manga expo at the British Museum, apparently Shueisha has just 130 editors working between its 20 or so magazines.

Damn.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Hn, so, reading some interviews in a book on the Manga expo at the British Museum, apparently Shueisha has just 130 editors working between its 20 or so magazines.

Damn.
Speaking of editors, this was updated after Jump Festa.

 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
This is probably gonna be the last post of the year for me guys and girls, so give it a read, it's gonna be a fun one if you are into weird Shonen Jump trivia, I can promise you that, and it ends with a fun conspiracy theory of mine.



I checked wikipedia and it says that Shueisha was founded by Shogakukan but it was separated the year after that, so that means now Shueish is its own thing, doesn't it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shueisha

Anyway @DreamcastDazia let me explain, @Nemesis your explanation is mostly but I just wanted to point out a minor mistake, regarding titles/licenses like Saint Seiya and Hokuto No Ken.

Saint Seiya:
Saint Seiya as a property wasn't owned by Akita Shoten, it's just that Kurumada decided to publish all its spin-offs in Akita Shoten magazines, e.g. Saint Seiya Episode G and Saint Seiya Saintia Sho ran in Champion Red, Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas, Saint Seiya Next Dimension ran/run in Weekly Shonen Champion, all magazines from Akita Shoten BUT at the same time Kurumada was also publishing Ring Ni Kakero 2 in Shueisha, and Kurumada's original Saint Seiya was republished at least 2 times by Shueisha, once in a kanzenban format and the other in a format I can't remember but it's a format that's basically meant for conbini, I think it's SJR Shonen Jump Remix...

That was prior to January 2019, on January 17th 2019 Akita Shoten got the publishing rights to the original Saint Seiya manga, it only made sense..Every other Saint Seiya manga BUT the original had been publishing under the Akita Shoten imprint for like 17 years.

Hokuto No Ken:
The mangaka that created Hokuto No Ken, along with other Jump authors and former editor of WSJ Nobuhiko Horie founded a new manga editing company Coamix. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Comic_Bunch
So most Hokuto No Ken spin-offs and (City Hunter spin-offs) have ran in the publications of this publisher, other than that Hokuto No Ken was republished by Shogakukan and then by Tokuma Shoten..
I don't think anything by the mangaka of Hokuto No Ken or City Hunter was published by Shueisha other than Hana no Keiji, they seem to have cut ties with Sueisha after 2000 (Or a little before that) when they became "renegade" and basically created a competition to Shueisha.

So.. It's kinda weird that former renegades are "allowed" to be included in most Jump celebrations, e.g. be included in games and exhibitions about Weekly Jump, case in point both Kenshiro and Ryo Saeba appearing in Jump Force and the Jump 50th Exhibition.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

There were 2 important omissions in the Jump 50th anniversary event, one was obviously Shaman King which was mentioned, and the other was anything made by Go Nagai.

I have 2 Weekly Jump artbooks and Nagai's artwork can be seen in the 25th and 30th anniversary artbooks iirc (I don't have the 35th anniversary artbook, so IDK about that).. So maybe Shueisha had a falling with Nagai, or they just deemed Nagai's Harenchi Gakuen too unimportant for it to be even included in the main artwork for the old titles of Jump? I highly doubt it.. I could understand not including Mazinger since Mazinger wasn't only published in Jump but in various magazines of the time, but excluding Harenchi Gakuen? It was one of the important titles that debuted in the very first issue of Weekly Shonen Jump.

EDIT: After having written this whole paragraph I just checked on google and Nagai's art was indeed part of the exhibiton lol
You can clearly see Hige Godzilla, so yeah they included Nagai's avatar instead of actually including Mazinger or another character from its manga..

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Anyway, onto the Shaman King thing.. I have the impression that Takei is I dunno, maybe hard to deal with?
He said on twitter that he had turned down an anime offer... Because they wouldn't use the same Seiyuus..


The same author that gave us the Princess Hao ending.

He also was probably not too happy about how Shueisha had basically cancelled his new SK manga, he wasn't too happy about Shueisha, so I can only imagine that when he was offered the chance to get Shaman King republished by another publisher (Kodansha) he jumped the train.

There's probably some bad blood between Shueisha and Takei, similar to how the mangaka of Zatch Bell said he wouldn't work with Shogakukan again.

In fact pretty much the same thing that happened to Zatch Bell happened to Shaman King, international releases were halted, e.g. the Argentinian release of Shaman King which was a pseudo-kanzenban, a tankobon with color pages, was stopped and IIRC hasn't continued ever since like 2017 when ShamanKing changed publishers, same thing with Zatch Bell, it stopped being released, and even now when Zatch Bell was republished by Kodansha its publication hasn't been continued in US for example.

All in all, I still think that Takei will always have the last word on what Shaman King can appear on and what it can't, so if SK didn't appear in any of Shueisha's promotional materials for Jump's 50th anniversary or Jump Force that's because Takei didn't want it on it, not because Kodansha denied that (I don't think they can actually do that).

Just remember this is a man who turned down an anime offer just because they couldn't use the same seiyuus and music of the old SK anime... Which is something very understandable if we are being honest, for example if it wasn't being made by the same company... How could they use the music another company had made?

I also have this theory that this censored artwork on this shikishi board is Takei's Yoh or something

Why else would you censor which character is in the left corner?

Only if its a mangaka who has some bad blood with yourpublisher, don't you think?
And infamously Takei was part of the Watsuki-Gumi (a group of assistants to Rurouni Kenshin's Nobuhiro Watsuki: Eiichiro Oda, Hiroyuki Takei, Shin'ya Suzuki, Gin Shinga, & Mikio Itou), you can clearly see all of their art present there, just not Gin Shinga because she passed away a long time ago.
(https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Chapter_233) check the trivia on the lowest part of the page for reference.

The other possibility is that this is Miki Itou's (Other assistant to Watsuki) artwork that was censored, which is just highly unlikely..
My other suspect is Kiyu AKA Yuki AKA Matsui Katsunori AKA the God of Cancelled manga

Kiyu has ties to both Watsuki and Takei AND seems like the kind of person that has bad blood with Sueisha too.. But meh, I doubt is his art that's blurred.

It has to be Takei's art, right? It just has to? Like it would be weird to invite everyone in the Watsuki-gang but Takei..

Funny though that you can be associated with two confirmed pedos but you have to blur out the picture of a dude who had an argument with your higher-ups. Japan, right?
Awesome read. Just one thing. I saw Harenchi Gakuen art in the Jump 50th anniversary stuff. What was only banned was Mazinger Z (which pains me. A lot. Mazinger Z is one of my favorite Shonen Jump titles ever).

About the censored stuff of that author gathering pic, I remember having readed it was one signature by Inagaki child, but I'm not sure.
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Speaking of editors, this was updated after Jump Festa.

Wait, so Katayama is editing Yozakura? That...actually explains things a bit.

Think of it, while Katayama is a very, very talented editor (anyone responsible for helping get Black Clover, Kimetsu and Jujutsu Kaisen has to be doing something right), he seems to be mostly focused on battle manga. Consequently, I wouldn't be surprised if his lack of familiarity in Yozakura's genre means he's not able to give good advice, or is struggling to think of strong ways to make the series work. It likely account for some of the more odd tonal shifts and writing decisions which have been made (constantly introducing new characters, for example).
 

revo68

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 21, 2018
Messages
566
Reaction score
4,120
Age
32
Country
Singapore


Weekly Top 10 (Series)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Detective Conan
Golden Kamuy
My Hero Academia
Attack on Titan
Wotakoi - Love is Hard for an Otaku
Go Toubun no Hanayome Character Book
Fire Force
Jojolion
Doraemon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top