Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,523
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
I'm curious to know, in your opinion;
Which manga / mangaka has expressed fear the best way possible in a single panel? A panel where you sensed the fear of a character just from looking at the drawing itself.
I can't remember any good answers besides the obvious Togashi, so I will go with a current one, Akutami. Jujutsu is full of them, especially Junpei's arc and also in the current one with Gojo hunting down the cursed spirits, the poor bastard Jogo could not catch a break for so long.

 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Much rather see Jump takes chances and grow their brand in the process, verses trying to get old creators back and failing to recapture their prior popularity.
I'm not sure I agree with your premise. Veterans can return with completely different genres and find success. Togashi is really the one that stands out as the exception.

However, I do think success is relative. If Kubo returned for example, he may not find the same level of success, but I'm sure he could find success if he played to his strengths, and went for something different with a new serialization.

It was a response my bad there
Who were you responding to?
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I'm curious to know, in your opinion;
Which manga / mangaka has expressed fear the best way possible in a single panel? A panel where you sensed the fear of a character just from looking at the drawing itself.
Bada bing


Bada boom
Yes I'm back just to shill HZ. Bye.
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
I'm curious to know, in your opinion;
Which manga / mangaka has expressed fear the best way possible in a single panel? A panel where you sensed the fear of a character just from looking at the drawing itself.

I recall two instances in One Piece.
First, it's during the Sabaody arc. Both Nami and Luffy's faces show amazing expressions of fear.
The other one is in the Whole Cake Island arc. Everyone's look on their faces screams 'fear'. Even Luffy is scared, which really made me feel especially worried and fearful of Big Mom.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Guys, it's okay to post a single panel that illustrates fear well, but do remember the new topicality rule. Try not to elaborate on specifics with series that have three volumes or more. Also, if possible, make sure the example isn't too spoilerish.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Question, what do you guys think is the Jump manga with the best character writing?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Question, what do you guys think is the Jump manga with the best character writing?
That's a good question, but also kinda hard to answer.

There's best, and then there's your favorite. I like the characters in CSM the best currently, but objectively I think One Piece has to have the best, yeah?

Oda is given carte blanche in regards to world building and character backstories. His characters have had more development than most will ever get.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Gintama definitely comes to mind but even gorilla was pretty bad here and there. Still one of the best
Same goes for Horikoshi, there's some issues here and there, especially regarding one little shit gremlin who thinks he's hot stuff. But Horikoshi's handling of the #1 heroes have been amazing. Especially the current #1 hero, because my god it's incredible and I have never seen anything like it.

If he sticks the landing, then that character is what Horikoshi is going to be most remembered for. It'll be his magnum opus within the story. Some people will have issues with it, but I think a lot will agree on how he's been handled.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
That's a good question, but also kinda hard to answer.

There's best, and then there's your favorite. I like the characters in CSM the best currently, but objectively I think One Piece has to have the best, yeah?

Oda is given carte blanche in regards to world building and character backstories. His characters have had more development than most will ever get.
Strongly disagree there. OP has a lot of characters and some pretty elaborate backstory, but the sheer scope of the series combined with its pacing means characters themselves get pretty undeveloped more often than not. Tons of random villains with unique designs and abilities but nothing really beyond that. Even the Straw Hats barely feel like part of the story.

Like, I don't think the take in invalid, but I don't think "objectively" is the right word. At all.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Strongly disagree there. OP has a lot of characters and some pretty elaborate backstory, but the sheer scope of the series combined with its pacing means characters themselves get pretty undeveloped more often than not. Tons of random villains with unique designs and abilities but nothing really beyond that. Even the Straw Hats barely feel like part of the story.

Like, I don't think the take in invalid, but I don't think "objectively" is the right word. At all.
Honestly, I haven't read OP since right before the timeskip, so I'm not exactly up to date on everything. However, I do know that Oda is given complete freedom to elaborate on pretty much anything he wants within the story, moreso than other series, even.

I think we should also clarify on what exactly you mean by character writing. As in, like, interactions? Or details the author reveals about the characters? Backstories?

If you mean purely interaction based, from what I remember of OP, I would agree that it doesn't have the best character writing.

I assumed you meant information surrounding a character or whatever.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Honestly, I haven't read OP since right before the timeskip, so I'm not exactly up to date on everything. However, I do know that Oda is given complete freedom to elaborate on pretty much anything he wants within the story, moreso than other series, even.

I think we should also clarify on what exactly you mean by character writing. As in, like, interactions? Or details the author reveals about the characters? Backstories?

If you mean purely interaction based, from what I remember of OP, I would agree that it doesn't have the best character writing.

I assumed you meant information surrounding a character or whatever.
My take on character writing is that it constitutes what makes a character feel like a believable person within the setting of the story, taking into account things like personality, background information and interactions with others.

I can't fully blame One Piece for some aspects of that, the sheer scale of the story prevents a lot of relationship building and other such facets (Toriko has the same issue IMO), it still has to be said that even main characters like Zoro do relatively little aside from fighting. There's a reason why pretty much every successful Jump manga of the last decade has the story based around some kind of hub (a school, a base, general neighborhood).
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My take on character writing is that it constitutes what makes a character feel like a believable person within the setting of the story, taking into account things like personality, background information and interactions with others.
Okay, well, I'd have to go with Bleach on this one. And I know people are going to disagree, but I felt Kubo nailed the character writing with zanpakutou being actual extensions of their personality, or their true inner selves.

Like, take the dichotomy of Shikai and Bankai. Shikai is what the Shinigami wants to outwardly appear as, whereas Bankai is their true self. Take Unohana, for example.

Her Shikai was a healing... thing, because she gave up the title of Kenpachi and went into medicine. Her Bankai was a true representation of her love for battle, where it essentially just killed anything in a specific area.

This also applies to Zaraki. His Shikai was this badass battle axe that could essentially cut through anything. His Bankai reverts him into a mindless berserker demon that just eviscerates everything, or basically, his true self.


I like this form of character writing because it shows, but doesn't tell. Kubo doesn't like to handhold his audience, and I felt like it perfectly matched his form of visual storytelling. Again, I know people are going to disagree with me, but it's just how I feel.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm not sure I agree with your premise. Veterans can return with completely different genres and find success. Togashi is really the one that stands out as the exception.

However, I do think success is relative. If Kubo returned for example, he may not find the same level of success, but I'm sure he could find success if he played to his strengths, and went for something different with a new serialization.



Who were you responding to?
Personally I’d like seeing huge veterans work in other magazines where they have more freedom and work at there own schedule.

I feel like Jump+ is a platform more veterans should use more(and would be great promo for it)
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
I hope Witch’s Guardian is a more serious Mx0. Also, I like that we’re getting more hero/heroine duos for main characters in action series lately. Usually brings good dynamics.
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Question, what do you guys think is the Jump manga with the best character writing?
ACT-AGE or Chainsaw Man, but for radically different reasons.

Maybe World Trigger (again, for very different reasons than the other 2), if you expand the question to outside of WSJ... And Kaguya-sama if you also include Young Jump. :P
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Realistic Character
Hanamichi Sakuragi from Slam Dunk. His initial dream was simple, and at the end of his journey it was so much more than that.

Best Villain characters go to Houshin Engi. The Yin and Yang between Ou Tenku and Taikoubo, and the dynamic rival between Bunchuu, Dakki and Shinkouhyou vs Taikoubo.

Biased/Fav character goes to Hiruma from Eyeshield21. Such a weird character to be put in a sport manga
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Honestly, I'm not bothered in the slightest about the lack of a veteran return. Much rather see Jump takes chances and grow their brand in the process, verses trying to get old creators back and failing to recapture their prior popularity.
It shouldn't never be the priority, it goes even to sport, art and sometimes even businesses. The newer gen of kids always have different to new ideas to refine what their predecessors did. That's how the earth flows in something new and that already proves from the many flops the veteran made, yes even kishimoto when his manga still sells OK
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Question, what do you guys think is the Jump manga with the best character writing?
Big 3 & hunter x hunter. Still to this day, authors take inspiration of the archetypes
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Okay, well, I'd have to go with Bleach on this one. And I know people are going to disagree, but I felt Kubo nailed the character writing with zanpakutou being actual extensions of their personality, or their true inner selves.

Like, take the dichotomy of Shikai and Bankai. Shikai is what the Shinigami wants to outwardly appear as, whereas Bankai is their true self. Take Unohana, for example.

Her Shikai was a healing... thing, because she gave up the title of Kenpachi and went into medicine. Her Bankai was a true representation of her love for battle, where it essentially just killed anything in a specific area.

This also applies to Zaraki. His Shikai was this badass battle axe that could essentially cut through anything. His Bankai reverts him into a mindless berserker demon that just eviscerates everything, or basically, his true self.


I like this form of character writing because it shows, but doesn't tell. Kubo doesn't like to handhold his audience, and I felt like it perfectly matched his form of visual storytelling. Again, I know people are going to disagree with me, but it's just how I feel.
That's what alot of people overlook, cuz they expect hunter x hunter type of battle lvl. While I do agree how ichigo win his fight in a repetitive way. It's a brilliant show with one of the greatest ideologies of characters
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top