Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 166 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another one so fast?
Dricam ended yesterday...
Yep, Tonari no Heya Kara ended after 33 shorter chapters (and only 1 volume release). Volume 2 will be released in February. This was coming for a while since the Vol 2 got the sudden price increase from 600 to 630 yen recently (which is an axe sign, like Taisei/Beast Children/TSS and even M+ series like Curtain's Up and Arata Primal had the increase). Also, this was the series from the Mitama Security editor.

The mangaka said on his twitter that he/she will come back "somewhere" and that he/she will try his/her best "from the scratch". Seems like an axe.

Last edited:

DreamcastDazia

Reaction score
Country
England
Question, what do you guys think is the Jump manga with the best character writing?
Would be a competition with Hunter x Hunter, Gintama, One Piece and Rurouni Kenshin in my book. But there are many old romance Jump series that I haven't read that could have better character writing. So its impossible to say unless you have read every jump manga there is mate
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Okay, well, I'd have to go with Bleach on this one. And I know people are going to disagree, but I felt Kubo nailed the character writing with zanpakutou being actual extensions of their personality, or their true inner selves.

Like, take the dichotomy of Shikai and Bankai. Shikai is what the Shinigami wants to outwardly appear as, whereas Bankai is their true self. Take Unohana, for example.

Her Shikai was a healing... thing, because she gave up the title of Kenpachi and went into medicine. Her Bankai was a true representation of her love for battle, where it essentially just killed anything in a specific area.

This also applies to Zaraki. His Shikai was this badass battle axe that could essentially cut through anything. His Bankai reverts him into a mindless berserker demon that just eviscerates everything, or basically, his true self.

I like this form of character writing because it shows, but doesn't tell. Kubo doesn't like to handhold his audience, and I felt like it perfectly matched his form of visual storytelling. Again, I know people are going to disagree with me, but it's just how I feel.
I didn't expect you to say Bleach but I'm hella proud

MrDropCombo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question, what do you guys think is the Jump manga with the best character writing?
I would have to say HXH, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gintama and One Piece

Also Holla 🤘 I use to shadow stalk this page lol but had to make an account to get in involved with the MHA anime discussion thread

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
I mean, Tanjiro from KNY is a good example of a stable character. (at least from the first 50-60 chapters. Haven't read more than that).
Oda's writing for all the strawhats is top notch. He had character arcs for each and everyone of them. I can't say anything about any other character tho.
HxH characters are often really well done.
MHA - I feel a lot of people initially liked the series was because of how relatable Midoriya was, at least initially.
Naruto - I'm sure many will disagree with me but I liked Naruto's character arc. He went from being a bratty annoying kid to an actual adult because of the things that happened around him and the people he kept losing.
Especially when you compare his arc to Sasuke's arc which somehow just kept getting worse as the story went on.

Okay, well, I'd have to go with Bleach on this one. And I know people are going to disagree, but I felt Kubo nailed the character writing with zanpakutou being actual extensions of their personality, or their true inner selves.

Like, take the dichotomy of Shikai and Bankai. Shikai is what the Shinigami wants to outwardly appear as, whereas Bankai is their true self. Take Unohana, for example.

Her Shikai was a healing... thing, because she gave up the title of Kenpachi and went into medicine. Her Bankai was a true representation of her love for battle, where it essentially just killed anything in a specific area.

This also applies to Zaraki. His Shikai was this badass battle axe that could essentially cut through anything. His Bankai reverts him into a mindless berserker demon that just eviscerates everything, or basically, his true self.

I like this form of character writing because it shows, but doesn't tell. Kubo doesn't like to handhold his audience, and I felt like it perfectly matched his form of visual storytelling. Again, I know people are going to disagree with me, but it's just how I feel.
Not gonna lie, I'm sure 90% of the Bleach fanbase are unaware of the points you just said and failed to make the connection because they weren't spoon fed.

Blue16

Reaction score
Country
Spain
New series in Shonen Jump +.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
New series in Shonen Jump +.
It is a reboot of the manga Seija no Koushin https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=151256 only this time with the new artist Yuki Sato (the original mangaka Mitsuchiyomaru stayed as author/writer). This is also from the Mitama Security's editor.

DreamcastDazia

Reaction score
Country
England
I mean, Tanjiro from KNY is a good example of a stable character. (at least from the first 50-60 chapters. Haven't read more than that).
Oda's writing for all the strawhats is top notch. He had character arcs for each and everyone of them. I can't say anything about any other character tho.
HxH characters are often really well done.
MHA - I feel a lot of people initially liked the series was because of how relatable Midoriya was, at least initially.
Naruto - I'm sure many will disagree with me but I liked Naruto's character arc. He went from being a bratty annoying kid to an actual adult because of the things that happened around him and the people he kept losing.
Especially when you compare his arc to Sasuke's arc which somehow just kept getting worse as the story went on.

Not gonna lie, I'm sure 90% of the Bleach fanbase are unaware of the points you just said and failed to make the connection because they weren't spoon fed.
I agree with what you said with Naruto. I was too scared to mention that because I thought i would get flamed. You're brave bro

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
Everyone, this current discussion of WNL is off-topic, and is better served in the section/thread for that series.

mangaman93

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
Is there a place where an English audience can read the one-shots and series which aren’t available in jump+ or the shonun jump app regularly?

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a place where an English audience can read the one-shots and series which aren’t available in jump+ or the shonun jump app regularly?
Unfortunately no, especially for oneshots. Also, the scan community doesn't do oneshots that often only if it's from a known mangaka.

mangaman93

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
Unfortunately no, especially for oneshots. Also, the scan community doesn't do oneshots that often only if it's from a known mangaka.
Thanks.
Now that simultaneous release with jump+ exists. I really wish shonen jump releases the entirety of the magazine in English internationally for a subscription. Not sure how good the move is financially though.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
The 3 GOAT sports series: SD, Haikyuu!! & HZ. A lot of sports series have phenomenal character writing.
To be fair, they kind of need phenomenal character writing in order to grab an audience and survive. Not everybody plays basketball, volleyball, or does sumo wrestling, but people will watch a cast of characters grow and endure trials no matter the sport if they find said cast compelling enough. If they aren't then the series catches the axe.

BX-02BLODIA

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't really say a specific manga in general. But I can say I really like Kira Yoshikage as a villain from Jojo Part 4. He's a more down to earth villian as compared to your typical, "I'm evil, hur durr". His main goal is the exact opposite of the "rule the world" mentality.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
To be fair, they kind of need phenomenal character writing in order to grab an audience and survive. Not everybody plays basketball, volleyball, or does sumo wrestling, but people will watch a cast of characters grow and endure trials no matter the sport if they find said cast compelling enough. If they aren't then the series catches the axe.
Its a bit ironic considering Zumou suffered exactly for being a sumo manga, so in the end the series is a perfect example of the opposite, that despite being great and etc, the sport can be a big factor in the popularity

Status
Not open for further replies.