Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,490
Reaction score
39,515
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
To be fair, they kind of need phenomenal character writing in order to grab an audience and survive. Not everybody plays basketball, volleyball, or does sumo wrestling, but people will watch a cast of characters grow and endure trials no matter the sport if they find said cast compelling enough. If they aren't then the series catches the axe.
True but what I mean is that those 3 I listed are in a league of their own.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Can't that be said of the vast majority of modern manga? I can't really think of a popular 2010s manga which has "weak" character writing, though I'm probably missing something.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
I can't really say a specific manga in general. But I can say I really like Kira Yoshikage as a villain from Jojo Part 4. He's a more down to earth villian as compared to your typical, "I'm evil, hur durr". His main goal is the exact opposite of the "rule the world" mentality.
There are so many villains like that though... The evil for the sake of it villains are rare. And one that are like that can still be phenomenal characters. Example. DOFLAMINGO
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
There are so many villains like that though... The evil for the sake of it villains are rare. And one that are like that can still be phenomenal characters. Example. DOFLAMINGO
I don't think that's what he meant by down to earth. Kira's motivation was to literally just live a quiet peaceful life(His definition of it at least).
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Daily for 12/27, which is day 0 for OP 95 and something curious happened. I think this is a first.

1 9784592160250 3月のライオン 15 白泉社 羽海野チカ 2019.12.26
2 9784088821696 ONE PIECE 95 集英社 尾田栄一郎 2019.12.28
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, One Piece has been declining, but Sangatsu is one of the series that sells the most by volume in Japan, probably not that strange?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, wait a second, isn't One Piece launching in a weird day? It will have a 2-day first week, right? That's... unusual.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
So, with the fact that WNL has hit an anime-original ending, is there any Jump romance manga which have complete anime? I know Nisekoi and Ichigo 100% don't.
 

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
So, with the fact that WNL has hit an anime-original ending, is there any Jump romance manga which have complete anime? I know Nisekoi and Ichigo 100% don't.
Kor I think though anime pretty different from manga as I understood.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So, with the fact that WNL has hit an anime-original ending, is there any Jump romance manga which have complete anime? I know Nisekoi and Ichigo 100% don't.
I don't actually know, but maybe Hatsukoi Limited? It was a short series, after all.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Unfortunately no, especially for oneshots. Also, the scan community doesn't do oneshots that often only if it's from a known mangaka.
speaking of which
we should get Fujimaki's new oneshot on M+ shouldn't we?
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
It has su
That's some impressive growth right there. However, my main takeaway from this chart is we need to figure out some way to get people to read Mitama lol
It has such a large gap from even Agravity Boys... Hope that Jump advertises it more once the first volume comes out
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Western audiences in general just aren't interested in gag manga, especially from jump. It's incredibly rare for gag manga to have much fan translations even, I think Saiki is the only wsj gag manga to have a complete translation? Except Dr Slump I guess, though I feel like that's because of people wanting to see what Toriyama did before DB rather than people actually caring much about Dr Slump as a series.

I think there's currently a group doing Bobobobobobobo however so that'll probably also be complete in a few months.

That's personally the biggest benefit of Manga+ to me, normally we'd never get gag manga translated (officially or by fans). Guaranteed if there was no viz/manga+ we wouldn't have a complete David, or Japan, or Double Taisei, or Mitama.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Western audiences in general just aren't interested in gag manga, especially from jump. It's incredibly rare for gag manga to have much fan translations even, I think Saiki is the only wsj gag manga to have a complete translation? Except Dr Slump I guess, though I feel like that's because of people wanting to see what Toriyama did before DB rather than people actually caring much about Dr Slump as a series.

I think there's currently a group doing Bobobobobobobo however so that'll probably also be complete in a few months.

That's personally the biggest benefit of Manga+ to me, normally we'd never get gag manga translated (officially or by fans). Guaranteed if there was no viz/manga+ we wouldn't have a complete David, or Japan, or Double Taisei, or Mitama.
Are we ignoring Gintama, Sket Dance and other series? Also, Saiki still needs to be completed with its translation. Last time I looked it was 10 or so chapters to be complete.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



This is MANGA Plus growth after 1 week without big-group's scans.
That's great. Really shows how much those being out gave it a boost.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top