Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,446
Reaction score
39,330
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I saw it on tieba, but who knows if it's true. Apparently, the results from the KnY popularity poll will be released in August. Could it be that the manga will continue until then? Has there been other examples of wsj publishing the results of a poll after a manga ended?
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Okay I havent read Yozakura except for first chapter but wasnt main complain about it being that it has great start but then went downhill? In that case it is no wonnder first volume sells good. The real challenge will come with second
I would assume people buying volume 1 on day 1 are people aware of the series already from the magazine and maybe it's just me but even if I like the opening bit if I know it's going to go downhill (especially within the next couple volumes) I wouldn't bother picking up volume 1.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I can't find how many chapters each one will have. This info was revealed?
all miniseries on WSJ, Plus, GIGA run for 1 volume

Concerning the mini series starting up in the digital issues, does anyone have any insight as to whether this could be Jump testing the waters for a serialization of these series in WSJ or Jump Plus in the near future? I find it hard to believe that they are doing this for it's own sake, particularly since the authors have participated in GFC before.
they could be testing waters

but my guess is this have to do with them only shiftting GIGA to a single issue seasonal releases, instead of 3 issues per season
that means they can't run miniseries on there anymore
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Nice to see Mitama and Yozakura getting decent sales. We don't have actual numbers tho, do we?



Mitama Security / Yozakura Family to Samurai 8 - "On your left"

Damn, now I feel bad for Sam 8.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I would assume people buying volume 1 on day 1 are people aware of the series already from the magazine and maybe it's just me but even if I like the opening bit if I know it's going to go downhill (especially within the next couple volumes) I wouldn't bother picking up volume 1.
1. I’m sure a lot of the people buying volume 1 are people who read it week by week in the magazine and are at least somewhat caught up. So they probably like the series as it stands and likely won’t just stop buying when volumes 2 and 3 are out.

2. If the series ends up being a hit and selling well, not everyone, but a lot of people who were saying the series sucks now will switch up and act like they never thought the series was bad. That it you’ll see a lot of “actually, now that I’ve caught up I think it’s pretty good now”.

Don’t have specific fingers to point as to who does this and who doesn’t because I don’t pay attention that closely. But I noticed that with all new series a lot of ppl base their opinions on the TOC, sales, and/or the opinions of every one else, and you see that the overall reception shift whenever they see they it’s popular.
Same vice versa. Some ppl will say they love a new series chapter one, but as soon as it places last in its first TOC placement you’ll see ppl constantly talk about how it’s bad now.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I saw it on tieba, but who knows if it's true. Apparently, the results from the KnY popularity poll will be released in August. Could it be that the manga will continue until then? Has there been other examples of wsj publishing the results of a poll after a manga ended?
Not that I remember BUT if the manga does end before August then maybe it means the results will be published in the last volume?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
1. I’m sure a lot of the people buying volume 1 are people who read it week by week in the magazine and are at least somewhat caught up. So they probably like the series as it stands and likely won’t just stop buying when volumes 2 and 3 are out.

2. If the series ends up being a hit and selling well, not everyone, but a lot of people who were saying the series sucks now will switch up and act like they never thought the series was bad. That it you’ll see a lot of “actually, now that I’ve caught up I think it’s pretty good now”.

Don’t have specific fingers to point as to who does this and who doesn’t because I don’t pay attention that closely. But I noticed that with all new series a lot of ppl base their opinions on the TOC, sales, and/or the opinions of every one else, and you see that the overall reception shift whenever they see they it’s popular.
Same vice versa. Some ppl will say they love a new series chapter one, but as soon as it places last in its first TOC placement you’ll see ppl constantly talk about how it’s bad now.
Aaaaactually, Nakano said that many readers don't follow the magazine, and indeed just pick the volumes. That was actually core to Kimetsu's success.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Not that I remember BUT if the manga does end before August then maybe it means the results will be published in the last volume?
It might be, the ongoing chapters are vol 22 and vol 20 will come out until May, the remaining ones might release in July/August respectively.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Aaaaactually, Nakano said that many readers don't follow the magazine, and indeed just pick the volumes. That was actually core to Kimetsu's success.
Source?

I just find it really hard to believe that most of the sales would come from people just randomly picking up volumes with no knowledge of the series, or at the very least not hearing about it from people who’re fans.
Plus I can’t see how they could possibly track the numbers of how many who buy the volumes read the magazine.
Maybe a survey, but I can’t imagine a large amount of ppl who don’t buy the magazine would care about filling out a survey
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Aaaaactually, Nakano said that many readers don't follow the magazine, and indeed just pick the volumes. That was actually core to Kimetsu's success.
That may be true (and it's indeed important), but I think it's way less true for first day sales of the first volume of a series. Most people have to have heard about it from somewhere, and the magazine is a likely place.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think it's important to remember that TOC rankings trump sales. Even if Yozakura us doing ok in sales if it keeps ranking the way it is it won't last much longer.

Ane Doki sold very well and got cancelled

Psyren sold poorly but lasted just fine until it's rankings started to dip
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I think it's important to remember that TOC rankings Trump sales. Even if Yozakura us doing ok in sales if it keeps ranking the way it is it won't last much longer.

Ane Doki sold very well and got cancelled

Psyren sold poorly but lasted just fine until it's rankings started to dip
Different time different laws.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Source?

I just find it really hard to believe that most of the sales would come from people just randomly picking up volumes with no knowledge of the series, or at the very least not hearing about it from people who’re fans.
Plus I can’t see how they could possibly track the numbers of how many who buy the volumes read the magazine.
Maybe a survey, but I can’t imagine a large amount of ppl who don’t buy the magazine would care about filling out a survey
They'd have sales numbers for their magazine every week / month and year. Even when WSJ circulation numbers were 2 million, OP volumes sold 3 million, at its peak and had 4 million print numbers.

It's not that surprising that a portion of the people who watch the anime and buy the volumes don't read the magazine.
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
1. I’m sure a lot of the people buying volume 1 are people who read it week by week in the magazine and are at least somewhat caught up. So they probably like the series as it stands and likely won’t just stop buying when volumes 2 and 3 are out.

2. If the series ends up being a hit and selling well, not everyone, but a lot of people who were saying the series sucks now will switch up and act like they never thought the series was bad. That it you’ll see a lot of “actually, now that I’ve caught up I think it’s pretty good now”.

Don’t have specific fingers to point as to who does this and who doesn’t because I don’t pay attention that closely. But I noticed that with all new series a lot of ppl base their opinions on the TOC, sales, and/or the opinions of every one else, and you see that the overall reception shift whenever they see they it’s popular.
Same vice versa. Some ppl will say they love a new series chapter one, but as soon as it places last in its first TOC placement you’ll see ppl constantly talk about how it’s bad now.
Personally, I drop Yoza because I didnt like the direction it take and to me, it really wasnt a funny comedy, but I would be glad if Yoza survives to all the people that keeps enjoying it and to have more succeses in the magazine. I would say it shares the same sentiment I have with TPN, I dont like the series but Im fine if it survives.
Hope both Mitama and Yoza can perform well, specially Mitama because it has become one of my favorite series in the magazine.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
They'd have sales numbers for their magazine every week / month and year. Even when WSJ circulation numbers were 2 million, OP volumes sold 3 million, at its peak and had 4 million print numbers.

It's not that surprising that a portion of the people who watch the anime and buy the volumes don't read the magazine.
I should have clarified like someone else did after me.
Obviously a mega seller like One Piece, Kimetsu, and series like MHA and Haikyuu have tons of people who aren’t reading the magazine that are buying the manga.
And for a series that’s like 10 volumes in it makes sense that non magazine readers are buying it.

But assuming Yozakura and Mitama well we’ll, they’ll likely only do like 20K at most.
I can’t see how Jump Shuiesha would possibly know that those sales all came from ppl who don’t buy the magazine.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
I think it's important to remember that TOC rankings trump sales. Even if Yozakura us doing ok in sales if it keeps ranking the way it is it won't last much longer.

Ane Doki sold very well and got cancelled

Psyren sold poorly but lasted just fine until it's rankings started to dip
The current situation of the TOC complicate the prediction, since it still has empty places (even although Agravity Boys will start to rank this week).

The manga with more risk would be Samurai 8 because it is at the end of the bottom, but we still don't know how the new manga will place.

However, it is not long before Undead, Zipman and Mashle start to rank in the TOC. Then, we will have a clearer analysis of this.
 
Last edited:

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I think it's important to remember that TOC rankings trump sales. Even if Yozakura us doing ok in sales if it keeps ranking the way it is it won't last much longer.

Ane Doki sold very well and got cancelled

Psyren sold poorly but lasted just fine until it's rankings started to dip
The last time this happened were Cross Account and Shuudan from 2017, both sold well enough but still got axed.

Past that, we didn't have a Yozakura like situation at all, which is interesting.
 

lazybones1717

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2018
Messages
281
Reaction score
1,404
Age
34
Country
United States
I just noticed that all volumes of ACT-AGE are in the 2/4 Shoseki BEST500! I assume that’s because of Akimoto’s recommendation? For reference:

3. Volume 10
145. Volume 9
256. Volume 2
257. Volume 1
285. Volume 8
362. Volume 3
429. Volume 7
431. Volume 6
480. Volume 4
500. Volume 5
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I just noticed that all volumes of ACT-AGE are in the 2/4 Shoseki BEST500! I assume that’s because of Akimoto’s recommendation? For reference:

3. Volume 10
145. Volume 9
256. Volume 2
257. Volume 1
285. Volume 8
362. Volume 3
429. Volume 7
431. Volume 6
480. Volume 4
500. Volume 5
Hooray for more backlog! :celebrate
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top