Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,565
Reaction score
11,300
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What happened to Promised Neverland?

It used to be shinning gem everyone adores from WSJ new lines back in 2017, now barely anyone mentioned that masterpiece overshadowed by the black horse Kimetsu.
It still is, it is one of the best selling series of the magazine.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
1. LOL @ those who make Ufotable seem like the major reason for the success of KNY while downplaying the consistency the source manga has shown throughout its run. The fact that it's sales has only kept going up despite the end of the anime and how the latest volume sells as much as the earlier volumes is proof that everyone reading it is heavily invested in it.
There are many manga out there that have initial volumes that sell over a million but as more volumes release, the sales slowly go down. MHA, TPN, AC etc all have this. It's simply because the manga's material could not keep those readers invested for a long time. Look at TPN's sales as a prime example.

Stop undermining the source material.

No. Your fav series would not be a million seller even if it had gotten the same level of adaptation as KNY did from Ufotable.

2. LOL @ those downplaying OP's depth in its characters. One Piece has had some of the most in-depth arcs for characters in WSJ. Not defending it's current arc or anything. Haven't read most of the Wano arc yet.
But a lot of the character development and interactions in OP are iconic and undeniable. If you have an opinion about it's supposed "lack of depth", thats fine. That's your opinion. But it doesn't make it a fact.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No. Your fav series would not be a million seller even if it had gotten the same level of adaptation as KNY did from Ufotable.
How do you know this for certain?

I'm not downplaying KnY's source material. Obviously people are very invested in the series post-anime.

But can you honestly say Toriko wouldn't be a million seller if it had a perfect adaptation? Toriko didn't have the character writing that KnY has (well, overall) and KnY has it beat it terms of character designs, but I feel Toriko is generally better in other areas.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
How do you know this for certain?

I'm not downplaying KnY's source material. Obviously people are very invested in the series post-anime.

But can you honestly say Toriko wouldn't be a million seller if it had a perfect adaptation? Toriko didn't have the character writing that KnY has (well, overall) and KnY has it beat it terms of character designs, but I feel Toriko is generally better in other areas.
Personally I think Toriko is a bit of a different situation. To explain I do agree quality of the adaptation isn't too important (Quints and AoT getting huge boosts while Fire Force gets nothing are huge examples of this) but the general quality of the story, characters, art, setting, etc for getting people to go buy the manga (including bits already adapted). I think the issue with Toriko comes from targeting the wrong demographic with the anime. I admittedly got bored reading Toriko and dropped it but I don't really think the manga from what I read is something I would buy my child while stuff in similar time slots to its anime like MHA, One Piece, Dragon Ball, etc I'd be fine with. Once that kid is old enough to be buying their own books I don't think they'd be checking out anime in kid's blocks (especially if they're going through an "I'm too old for baby stuff" phase) for potential manga to pick up.
I could be off base since as I said, I didn't read a ton of Toriko but personally I agree with their original statement (assuming I interpreted it right) but think there are exceptions (Toriko being one)
 

Mercury101

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 29, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
25
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I generally lurk this thread but took a particular interest in the current discussion since KnY is one of my favourite series in Jump alongside Act-Age. But in regards to claiming KnY is some mediocre, bare bones story about a boy trying to turn his demon sister back into a human that is only selling as well as it is because of the animation of Ufotable is really disparaging to Gotouge and her work.

If you read something with surface level, shallow attention to what's happening, then you'll surprisingly enough, come away with a surface level and shallow interpretation of it. Totally missing how KnY looks at issues in society and with human nature. Instead of realising how the story is about a quest for humanity and love in a cruel world that seemingly has none and the struggles of corruption people can face in different forms, one can instead come away with the basic interpretation that the story is simply about a boy trying to cure his demon sister and beat a big bad demon, and nothing more than that.

It's easy to give an empty summary of any series. "One Piece is about a pirate looking for treasure who goes to islands and fights bad guys, repeat 900 chapters". But when you have such a shallow outlook on series that clearly have lots more deeper subtext and undertones, what's even the point in talking about them?

Whilst it's very clear that the anime's quality of adaptation is what triggered this boom in popularity, it's simply doing the job of an anime in giving the manga greater exposure. People act as if Ufotable is the first studio to produce a great adaptation. As if there is no other studio capable of adapting a manga to a high standard. Yes, Ufotable enhanced the weakest parts of the manga, but the manga itself HAS to have a special charm to do what it's doing otherwise only the anime would be popular, instead of the entire franchise booming and the manga breaking records.

The anime isn't making up the story, the characters, the abilities, the fights. That's all stuff from the manga that has simply been adapted well and enhanced due to the nature of animation. The beauty of the breaths, the fluidity of the fights, the general aesthetic of the manga...That's all stuff that is truly captured to an even greater extent when animated when you can experience all the factors at their best, not restricted by the limits of the manga medium.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
How do you know this for certain?

I'm not downplaying KnY's source material. Obviously people are very invested in the series post-anime.

But can you honestly say Toriko wouldn't be a million seller if it had a perfect adaptation? Toriko didn't have the character writing that KnY has (well, overall) and KnY has it beat it terms of character designs, but I feel Toriko is generally better in other areas.
Toriko might be an exception given how even despite being aimed at the wrong demographic, it grew to 550k+ and the manga was well received throughout.
I wouldn't say maybe it would be a million seller 100% because I feel there should be a lot of factors that come into play for a series to reach that but it definitely would've done way better than it did.
 

Dag

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 14, 2020
Messages
12
Reaction score
4
Country
Uchiha Clan
This is so tiresome.
I'm fine with anyone liking s8. It ain't my decision to dictate their taste.
It's the delusion idea of s8 could get an anime adaptation that irked me.
I’m not usually a vindictive person, but man, just imagine how vindicated I’ll feel when it eventually gets an anime. All this naysaying will only make the moment even sweeter. We got a true underdog story going on here. And just like those stories, it’s gonna feel amazing when it comes out on top.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I’m not usually a vindictive person, but man, just imagine how vindicated I’ll feel when it eventually gets an anime. All this naysaying will only make the moment even sweeter. We got a true underdog story going on here. And just like those stories, it’s gonna feel amazing when it comes out on top.
Don't do this, please. I lost count of how many posts I had to delete over the argument yesterday.

You want S8 to have an anime? Cool. Discuss it in the S8 section/thread on this site. This thread isn't the place for it.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Viz licensed Chainsaw Man for print and digital volume releases

Wait, they hadn’t licensed Chainsaw Man for print release till now? I thought they did, honestly. The axed manga in its batch and Spy x Family got Viz license announcements before CM, wow. Anyways, I’m glad it finally happened!
 
Last edited:

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
I’m not usually a vindictive person, but man, just imagine how vindicated I’ll feel when it eventually gets an anime. All this naysaying will only make the moment even sweeter. We got a true underdog story going on here. And just like those stories, it’s gonna feel amazing when it comes out on top.
"Underdog story"? Man. Come on now.

Shueisha pushed this series like HELL. They advertised it, they overprinted it, they made shops take stock of it to get more KnY/TPN, they put samples of its first chapters everywhere.

Now, you can like S8. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But that's not the story of an underdog, it's literally the opposite of it.

Everyone expected it to succeed upon announcement. Shueisha basically tried to FORCE it to succeed. And it crashed.

Like seriously, I don't even want to get into whether it is good, it deserves an anime, whatever. But don't try to do this.
 
Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Wait, they hadn’t licensed Chainsaw Man for print release till now? I thought they did, honestly. The axed manga in its batch and Spy x Family got Biz license announcements before CM, wow. Anyways, I’m glad it finally happened!
the axed manga just got a digital release though so they didn't have to worry about printing/getting bookstores to carry or anything (did they even translate volume extras or just sell the already translated stuff? That could be another reason it was quicker)
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
the axed manga just got a digital release though so they didn't have to worry about printing/getting bookstores to carry or anything (did they even translate volume extras or just sell the already translated stuff? That could be another reason it was quicker)
Those got complete and edited releases, same standard as the physical release. Which is just another bizarre choice by Viz. I don't get why they wait so much with their releases and sit around on something as safe and established as CSM while working on the volume formats of forgotten cancelled manga like Red Sprite, especially when they provide all its chapters in their archives already.
 

Krono

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
855
Reaction score
692
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I modified a post I found on a Japanese board to give an idea of some upcoming milestones:

Issue #15 Bokuben ch150(completes v17), TPN ch 170(completes v19)
Issue #16 Undead Unluck ch9, Samurai 8 ch 42 (completes v5)
Issue #17 Marshle ch9, Yuragi ch200
Issue #18 Guardian of the Witch ch9, Zipman ch16(completes v2) Kimetsu ch200
Issue #19 Agravity Boys ch16(completes v2)
Issue #20
Issue #21
Issue #22-23 Yuragi ch205(completes v23)
Issue #24 Kimetsu ch205(completes v23), Undead Unluck ch16(completes v2)
Issue #25 TPN ch179(completes v20), Marshle ch16(completes v2)
Issue #26 Samurai 8 ch51(completes v6), GotW ch16(completes v2)

Series usually end when a volume is filled. So by issue #19 we should know if Bokuben somehow manages to continue beyond volume 17, if TPN and S8 are going on for another volume, if Zipman and Agravity Boys are getting quickly axed or surviving to a third volume, have a solid idea of the initial reception of the three newest sereis, and make some educated guesses as to whether Kimetsu and Yuragi are ending with 23 volumes or continuing onward. After that, it'll be the Golden Week double issue when things would potentially start happening again.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,442
Reaction score
3,619
Age
26
Country
United States
At the rate Bokuben has been going, I think volume 17 is probably it. think TPN will go at least another volume and end at 20.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
How do you know this for certain?

I'm not downplaying KnY's source material. Obviously people are very invested in the series post-anime.

But can you honestly say Toriko wouldn't be a million seller if it had a perfect adaptation? Toriko didn't have the character writing that KnY has (well, overall) and KnY has it beat it terms of character designs, but I feel Toriko is generally better in other areas.
As a Toriko fan, the idea of the series being a million copy seller if it had a good adaptation seems unlikely tbh. I would say Toriko is a better series (in the sense that if offers more than KnY) but Toriko is also so out there and it feels like a niche with its Fist of the north star inspired artstyle. Maybe if the series came out in the 80s then yeah maybe.

Toriko could've done better if it had a better adaptation but I dont think itd be that large of a difference.

Toriko might be an exception given how even despite being aimed at the wrong demographic, it grew to 550k+ and the manga was well received throughout.
I wouldn't say maybe it would be a million seller 100% because I feel there should be a lot of factors that come into play for a series to reach that but it definitely would've done way better than it did.
Toriko didnt even reach 500k...It was close, like peaking at 480k or something.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top