Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,522
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Can we discuss what other series in Jump may benefit from this multiple endings approach? Either ongoing or completed.
Not a single one, unless it naturally fits in the narrative and becomes a neccesary, meaningful addition to it, contributing to a greater whole. And I especially hate all the shipping stuff. I can only think of two times it has been done right, the Zero Escape series and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (havent read enough of Umineka to say anything about it). Fate/stay night's method of using the same setup and world to tell multiple robust stories is interesting too.
I would be interested to see it tried in a Jump manga. And there's also WSM's Tokyo Revengers, but that's more like the inverse of the idea, correcting all the bad endings to reach the good one.
Although I might be open to the simple ones in the form a short, volume long spin-off manga, for example a what if Light won and lived (did i even need to hide this?) at the end of Death Note.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I think Yuuna could. I haven't gone past the anime but have one ending where Kogarashi helps her pass on and one where they fall in love and stay together. Of course another one with harem end as well
We'll just have to wait and see how this current arc ends.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Alternative ending is a tricky one. Death Note, maybe. An alternative ending where the story ended at the first half itself.

Had Kubo actually done GOOD ending nobody would burn volumes
People who went to the extreme of burning Bleach volumes did it for the pairing at the end not for the story's ending.

Not that I want Kubo to change anything about it. It's his story and if entitled people didn't like it, they can buzz off.
 

westabyss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
195
Reaction score
523
Country
Germany
Nothing wrong with Bleach's ending. There are some stronger issues with things that happened right before the last chapter but the last chapter itself was completely fine.

Now to Bokuben, I think its spineless to do multiple endings. Harem Manga, for me are like horse races. You bet on your favorite horse and hope he wins and in Harem Manga its your favorite girls (no, im not saying women are horses before somehow shows up to twist my words). The author is saying that every horse won, just to make everyone happy and not get a shitstorm. Things like this show me which Mangaka really treats his work like art and who is here for the quick cashgrab.

Personally, there is no Manga I want to have multiple endings. Even Manga where the girl I liked the most lost, I wouldn't want a redo. For example, I liked Fumino in Bokuben the most but I don't need an alternate ending with her. Maybe I am also a bit different than the target audience because I don't necessarily need my favorite girl to end up with the MC and so I don't really get disappointed if she doesn't. I just like her as a character. Thats it.
 
Last edited:

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Jeez I missed all the bokuben discussion. But do you know when that special OVA will be released? The one where the girls are dressed as brides?
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Nothing wrong with Bleach's ending. There are some stronger issues with things that happened right before the last chapter but the last chapter itself was completely fine.
Nothing fundamentally wrong, but the end of the arc was half assed. I'm also not a fan of flash forward endings and Bleach's was particularly lame, it would have been better off without it in my opinion, especially coming after Naruto's. I hope One Piece won't have anything like theirs.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The problem with Bleach's ending was that it suddenly rushed and ended the last few fights all at once. It doesn't need an alternate ending to satsify shippers (because romance does not matter in Bleach at all, and also Rukia end wouldn't make sense), what it needed is an extra 2-3 volumes to do the last 3 fights properly.

I guess the competition's still on as to whether Yuuna or WNL will end first, depending on how long WNL spends on each girl (Uruka route got a whole volume pretty much, so there could still potentially be ~40 chapters left if everyone gets their own volume? probably not though).

I know Yuuna could get another 40 chapters out if it returned to episodic shenanigans after this arc before the absolute final chapter, but I don't know if it would actually do that at this point. Feels like it wants to end soon.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Not a single one, unless it naturally fits in the narrative and becomes a neccesary, meaningful addition to it, contributing to a greater whole. And I especially hate all the shipping stuff. I can only think of two times it has been done right, the Zero Escape series and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (havent read enough of Umineka to say anything about it). Fate/stay night's method of using the same setup and world to tell multiple robust stories is interesting too.
I would be interested to see it tried in a Jump manga. And there's also WSM's Tokyo Revengers, but that's more like the inverse of the idea, correcting all the bad endings to reach the good one.
Although I might be open to the simple ones in the form a short, volume long spin-off manga, for example a what if Light won and lived (did i even need to hide this?) at the end of Death Note.
You cannot really go for a "multiple ending" deal in a manga as you would do in a VN. In a VN you are (to an extent) the main character thus your choices actually DO influence the story and there's nothing wrong with having multiple heroines that can all canonically "win".
In a manga I'm reading a story. I'm not choosing anything. Having more than one ending does nothing other than take away from the coherency of the story itself. But well, if it helps the author not get freaking assaulted by its rabid fans then it's whatever I suppose, I'm not a fan of the genre myself.

Had Kubo actually done GOOD ending nobody would burn volumes
People burnt volumes because they were rabid shippers wanting an Ichiruki ending. I mean, I'm not an Orihime fan myself, but I don't get how you can give this much of a crap about something that had literally 0 importance in bleach.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Death Note & YYH
One Piece, good and bad ending
Fair to say OP will have a good ending as Oda had it in mind for a very long time and is excited to draw the final chapter.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Death Note & YYH


Fair to say OP will have a good ending as Oda had it in mind for a very long time and is excited to draw the final chapter.
Fair to say OP will have a good ending because if Oda fumbles it after close to 30 years his fans will literally murder him.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm not really sure which will end first out of Yuuna and WNL. If WNL is just going for another volume, then I definitely think it'll end first, but if it give more time to each ending I can see it outlasting Yuuna. This arc really does feel like a final arc for Yuuna, but I have the slightest feeling Miura will come up with a way to make it not the end and put in some more filler. Then there's TPN, which I feel can't be going for another volume, but then again it's felt like that for the past year or so. KnY really does seem to be at the end, but I could see it getting a lengthy epilogue. So for ending order I'd say WNL, TPN, KnY, Yuuna
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
I’m still surprised people were upset/shocked with the genki girl winning the yuigabowl at the end. If you read any of Tsutsui’s past works, the mc would end up with the spunky genki girl in the end.
I’m still happy that the author of Espirit and Fukashigi Phillia ended up with a successful series in wsj.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Just had a quick check and the route 1 ending of WNL (titled part 1, part 2, etc) takes up ch 142 to ch 150, which should be all of volume 17. So yeah, it's certainly possible that WNL's will be around for most of 2020 if everyone gets their own contained volume like that. Would end around November I think if it does that? Maybe December even depending on breaks.

I imagine Yuuna will probably be done by then too, so I really hope we can get a new romcom by then. Yozakura has it's romcom moments but it's definitely not the main focus.

What kind of romcom would everyone want to see anyway? In terms of major successful series, we've had

- cross dressing
- ESP
- A.I.
- aliens
- ghosts and other supernatural stuff
- and a few (mostly) regular school romcoms without a major gimmick (I''s, Ichigo 100%, Nisekoi, WNL)
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Just had a quick check and the route 1 ending of WNL (titled part 1, part 2, etc) takes up ch 142 to ch 150, which should be all of volume 17. So yeah, it's certainly possible that WNL's will be around for most of 2020 if everyone gets their own contained volume like that. Would end around November I think if it does that? Maybe December even depending on breaks.

I imagine Yuuna will probably be done by then too, so I really hope we can get a new romcom by then. Yozakura has it's romcom moments but it's definitely not the main focus.

What kind of romcom would everyone want to see anyway? In terms of major successful series, we've had

- cross dressing
- ESP
- A.I.
- aliens
- ghosts and other supernatural stuff
- and a few (mostly) regular school romcoms without a major gimmick (I''s, Ichigo 100%, Nisekoi, WNL)
Something more realistic. Not a harem, not focused on comedy.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
slice of life manga about gaming would be dope
Rather than that.
I'd like to see an esports series.
Still would follow basic structure of a spokon, but the team are basically "transported" to these different worlds when their in their competitions. Not really transported in reality but we see the characters instead of their in game avatars allow them to do all sorts of different genres.

In between matches we have real world drama stuff.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Rather than that.
I'd like to see an esports series.
Still would follow basic structure of a spokon, but the team are basically "transported" to these different worlds when their in their competitions. Not really transported in reality but we see the characters instead of their in game avatars allow them to do all sorts of different genres.

In between matches we have real world drama stuff.
That sounds good. Usually Computergames are all about rpgs/"Isekai" and such. Sport video games are a rarity in the manga scene. Maybe something like Rocket League as main game with other games being played friendly like golf with friends or so.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Rather than that.
I'd like to see an esports series.
Still would follow basic structure of a spokon, but the team are basically "transported" to these different worlds when their in their competitions. Not really transported in reality but we see the characters instead of their in game avatars allow them to do all sorts of different genres.

In between matches we have real world drama stuff.
So, the new Nickelodeon show, Glitch Techs?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top