Moderator Notice: Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.
These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei
Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi
GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
OP: GOATY LIKE ALWAYS, we keep moving with the NEW PLOTS
AA: good that it doesnt feel draggy, short and powerful
BC: YOOO MY GOAT MC IS GOING HAMM LETS GOO,
Bokuben: aha.. so that's how the writer will play it out with the routes. It's now bokuben visual novel edition huh
Mha: mann.. I feel so much seeing them two collide, even!! that winged person doesnt want to do it, he just want to fix it but ya already know. It's too late on what T said And that's a fact.
Chainsawman: a bunch of oef and yikes, even being cryptic will spoil it. It's going crazy
Drstone: YOOOO I love this coming new mini arc for the next few chapters, it NEVER stops to amaze the readers. YUUUUURRRR
Guardian of the witch: it's so average and I cant ignore and we Shouldnt ignore... WHAT IS THE MC POWERS? IM STILL ASKING WHY HE CAN BLOCK MASSIVE DESTRUCTION KABOOOEEMMM Attacks with his skinny ass sword. Please stop with the "huudhsonwh its shonen logic jsshjs" noo stop.. espcially nowadays
Haikyuu: GOAT. Nothing else but only greatness
Jjk: let's go girl, you can do this. It's alright, Need to see more
Kimetsu: OEEHH... it's getting close...too many death flags
mashle: it's great, it goes into an more serious battle of mash goal. Not much humour, just focus of plot
Mitama: dissaponted.. it was bad but not that bad, it had heart but it shows again.. gag mangas are cursed. May mitama rest in peace as to be forever remembered
TPN: just end it already... I'm a huge fan of TPN but this feels kinda unrewarding, it happend too late that man came back & instantly fix everything. The series always skip build-up for important plot, I hate it. It couldve been done sooo much better
Yozakura: good that it's back on its feet, feels like its beginning consistent for now
Zipman: Zzzzzzz
Uxu: unique, I would like that the author does an explanation in like an info book (similar how horikoshi does it with characters)
My top 5 this week is:
1. KnY
2. HQ
3. WNL
4. UU
5. CSM
With MHA being almost there. I'm really enjoying this arc, feels fresh after a looong time of just reading it without any investment. Sadly, I can't say the same thing about TPN... at least it seems like it's finally gonna end in a few chapters.
WNL started my fav girl's route, so I'm pretty excited about it. First chapter was mostly comedic stuff - pretty good, can't wait for the next one.
HQ/KnY/CSM were great as usual. BC and A-A were also good.
As for the new(ish) series: UU brought up some new plot points in a fantastic way and it actually feels like the author knows what he's doing. :P Mashle had it's worst chapter yet and Zimpan is just racing to the finish line. Yozakura had a decent chapter, but Mitama was unusually weak this time. Still hoping it'd survive, since at least TPN and Zipman are likely to end very soon. S8 also feels like it's almost done but I wouldn't be surprised if there will be more after the current arc.
what? but it was you guys who said he was going back in time and changed something in history.
so much so that they said that only 2 chapters would not be enough to convince.
I love Black Clover and it's been getting better and better but I have to say that Mashle is having a better Gravity magic fight at the same time that Black Clover is having one as well well. Really cool way of showing off the gravity power.
They axed Ryoko & Marry Grave...Lets not forget that they rushed the masterpiece that is known as Magi, their biggest hit of the decade. At least they gave it a cover for its final chapter ...and the ending was still pretty good
They are better than WSJ for sure but they've axed great series.
UU's lore keeps being interesting. S8 is really rushing towards its endgame, this week's chapter was something. GOTW is probably the most boring newbie we've had this past year, it just doesn't do anything well. I'm genuinely sad Zipman is badly received, not because I am fond of it, but becacuse of Shibata. I hope he finds a hit the next time he gets a serialization. This week's Yozakura made me want to see Taiyou and Kyouchirou's relationship to develop, it should make for some good stuff down the line. Kinda surprised with this week's TPN, wasn't expecting that character to show up. Looking forward to how KNY is going to wrap things up, it's near endgame. That HQ spread was one of the best things I've seen in life, I can only be thankful towards Furudate. AA is a masterpiece, I have no idea how it keeps getting even better. I can't get enough of this current MHA arc and I loved how we got to see so many powers being combined at once. I felt like this week was great over all and it's hard to even pick a top 5.
Ahahaha, good one. You think Marry Grave would last for 5 volumes in Shonen Jump with how it after 20 chapters did another 20 chapters of a flashback arc before going back to the present? You think that kind of pacing at the very beginning of the series would've survived in Jump or at Shueisha in general?
Guardian of the Witch FINALLY has some new stuff happening. Why didn't they do this three chapters ago? I put it next to Black Clover (which is also a pretty standard shonen, especially in the beginning) and it became pretty clear why Guardian of the Witch feels so dull in comparison.
Guardian of the Witch:
Ch 1: world set-up, introduction of the main characters, big reveal, pay-off of the reveal (fight, emotional moment), establishing the series' goal
Ch 2: leaving the village (+ exposition)
Ch 3: reaching the next village, introduction of the next 'villains' (+ exposition)
Ch 4: entering the village, meeting the villains
Ch 5: fighting the villains
Ch 6: fighting the villains
Ch 7: still fighting the same two villains, leaving the village, meeting some weird guy
Black Clover:
Ch 1: world set-up, introduction of the main characters, important event, fighting the first villain, emotional moment, big reveal, establishing the series' goal
Ch 2: important event, introducing all of the important people, second fight
Ch 3: more fights, recruitment, meeting the colleagues
Ch 4: establishing the colleagues and HQ, training fight
Ch 5: establishing a new (secondary) main character
Ch 6: first mission (+ exposition)
Ch 7: first mission fight
Mitama has become so ridiculous that I'm giving up on it.
Mashle is still lacking jokes.
Agravity Boys is still doing the misunderstandings thing.
Yozakura is also doing the misunderstandings thing, but they were smart enough not to drag it out. The ending was pretty cute.
WNL is going paranormal all of a sudden? Also it seems like these other paths will be more like quick jokes rather than full alternate endings.
UxU is interesting (made me wonder what the world looked like before those rules). Though I kind of feel sorry for the rest of the team already, after gaining two completely uncooperative new members.
Kimetsu is starting to remind me of that one DBZ episode where everyone is just kind of trying to keep Frieza distracted while Goku charges his spirit bomb. It still manages to keep up the sense of urgency (which is impressive), but you could cut the entire chapter out of the story and nothing would change.
Dr Stone felt a little slow in the beginning, but then we got right into it with an interesting surprise development. Looking forward to the next chapter.
TPN also had a bit of a twist before the story wraps up. Nice.
Zipman does the same thing except more generic. Still hoping for a halfway decent ending for this one.
S8 is going full-blown philosophical. And apparently body-snatching makes you an infinite hero now. Could be ending as soon as the next chapter, or not at all.
Black Clover is still using all of the classical tropes but doing it well.
Act-age is taking its time. I don't dislike it, but I hope we'll be moving on to something new (read: something else than people commenting on this same play) soon.
And the same goes for Haikyu. I always liked the interactions between team members most, so the fact that we are only getting commentary from the sidelines now is a bit of a bummer. I wonder how much longer this one will last.
Ahahaha, good one. You think Marry Grave would last for 5 volumes in Shonen Jump with how it after 20 chapters did another 20 chapters of a flashback arc before going back to the present? You think that kind of pacing at the very beginning of the series would've survived in Jump or at Shueisha in general?
You can argue about SJ but all Shueisha magazines is a overreaction, we don't know at all how would be the reception in other magazines or Jump Plus taking in count the differences in age and genre of the readers base in each one.
I kinda want to see Guardian having a good first ranking just to see the reactions kkkk
You can argue about SJ but all Shueisha magazines is a overreaction, we don't know at all how would be the reception in other magazines or Jump Plus taking in count the differences in age and genre of the readers base in each one.
To be fair, all magazines are guilty of axing promising or great series. I’m really sad about Marry Grave, though, and hopefully the author can make something successful eventually, like the Spy x Family author (forgot name, I’m sorry).
Ryoko's case wasn't it because of the author health? He had to put the manga for like 1 year on hiatus and when he returned the sales went down, something like that.
Well, as I said on Twitter, all the newbies of this wave got extra pages (UxU, Guardian, Agravity and Mashle), it is a sign that the jump wants to keep them, I think.
UxU and Guardian of the witch won in the pre-rank and Mashle won later. Perhaps the reason is that the jump has 4 veterans close to finishing (TPN, Kimetsu, haikyuu and WnL).
Also, it would suck if Guardian of the witch doesn't get a good position after all this.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
detail that UxU and Guardian won their extra pages in the pre rank and Mashle won later.
The folks here have a different attitude towards Guardian and the others got extra pages too (only Zipman who couldn't, poor thing).
I'm glad GotW moved on from that tiresome fight. It was boring from start to finish, the strategies of both parties were straightforward and dull, and the art wasn't really impressive either. Hopefully that new guy is able to contribute something to the group dynamik (in case he accompanies them that is). The chapter wasn't completely bad, though. The desperation our group felt when they were driven into a corner was well done.
Mashle was okay, but like the previous two chapters it didn't get any laughs out of me. I know this chapter was supposed to be more on the serious side but that's when Mashle is at its weakest imo.
I had guessed at it last week but it seems Undead Unluck really does plan to be about SCP hunting. I'm completely on board with that, I've always wanted an SCP manga.
Otherwise Mitama was especially random this week, some good gags but a lot was just plain weird, and the other new series were mostly fine, nothing amazing.
And yeah Samurai 8 and Zipman both feel like they're heading into their finales. Kishi could've done so much more with over 40 chapters but oh well.
I'm glad GotW moved on from that tiresome fight. It was boring from start to finish, the strategies of both parties were straightforward and dull, and the art wasn't really impressive either. Hopefully that new guy is able to contribute something to the group dynamik (in case he accompanies them that is). The chapter wasn't completely bad, though. The desperation our group felt when they were driven into a corner was well done.
Mashle was okay, but like the previous two chapters it didn't get any laughs out of me. I know this chapter was supposed to be more on the serious side but that's when Mashle is at its weakest imo.
This week's top 5:
1. Undead Unluck - This chapter was largely an exposition dump, but it was done so right that I hope other mangaka are taking notes (looking at you author of The Last Saiyuki). It went in, had a little bit of action, showcased a couple new characters briefly, expanded their whole universe, set-up their purpose in the new organization, established their next objective, and foreshadowed a bunch more possibilities. I wasn't expecting the vast majority of these developments, but in a very good way. Excellent pacing again as usual. Super hard to believe this author is a newbie.
2. Mitama Security - Cat > Fish - enough said lol. Mitama needs to exorcise that dude's grandpa.
3. Mission: Yozakura Family - Another really good chapter in a row. The author set up the misunderstanding and was smart enough to not let it linger and resolved it nicely in the end. The very end of the chapter was actually really hilarious. Probably the only time I've enjoyed seeing the oldest brother lol. Hopefully the rest of the family gets worked into the series soon.
4. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san - I'm enjoying seeing all of these alternate endings, and the Kogarashi x girl scenes in each of these past few chapters have been pretty erotic, but in a romantic/passionate way.
5. We Never Learn - Not as good as the previous arc, especially since it started with this 100% filler chapter. I don't mind filler chapter ordinarily, but when this is supposed to be setting up a brand new alternate ending, I was hoping for something with more impact.
Finally caught up to Undead Unluck because of the overwhelming popularity in the polls, and I have to say it's really well done. I like Andy's wiseness which doesn't come from nowhere, he's got years of experience in all kinds of things, and of course he's got a penchant for being reckless. He reminds me of Ban from 7 deadly sins.
The world is definitely interesting as well, when the first chapter came out I didn't expect it to be this well thought out, and my favorite part so far about the world is that it doesn't have any stars I'm rooting for this to survive now, in my opinion it's miles better than Mashle and GOTW
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.