Up to chapter 170. Just finished the second round of the tournament and holy shit, this series keeps surprising me more and more.
- Raian vs Ohma: Beastly fight from start to finish. It is also probably the best-drawn fight of the series too. The faces the two of them were making, as well as the exchange of blows and the techniques. Everything was magnificently drawn. Ohma went back to prime condition after recovering his memories, but even though he won, Raian still didn't use any assassination techniques. If he had fought with everything he had, I doubt Ohma would have won. In the end, Raian's own stubbornness to overwhelm his opponent with brute strength alone ended up in him losing in the second round.
- Takeshi vs Julius: I was really expecting this fight, mainly because Takeshi is also among my favourite characters, and it didn't disappoint at all. It was indeed a battle of fucking monsters. I thought for a second that the whole stadium wouldn't be able to hold tight, lol. In the end, Takeshi won but I liked how during the most part of the fight, Julius was the one holding the advantage but at the end lost just because he didn't take into account that the Blast Core could be used in the legs too, and the legs are way stronger than the arms. Even though it could be seen as a little disappointing that the top 2 company got out of the tournament in the second round, Julius was indeed a monster to be reckoned with. I really liked how he wasn't just pure muscle and he actually studied a lot of physiology for building his muscles and for the battle.
- Muteba vs Sekibayashi: You know you're manly when a fucking genocider that wants to end a battle as quickly and as efficiently as possible, respects you and ends you the way you wanted. Marvellous Seki, indeed marvellous. We also got a little bit more insight on Muteba and the guy is surprisingly saner than what I initially thought, lol, and by the looks of it, he still has some cards up his sleeve to play. He really is a dirty fighter, and I love that.
- Saw Paing vs Rei: Honestly, after hearing the motivations both had in this battle, I really wanted Saw Paing to win, but deep down, part of me knew that that actually wouldn't come true. Another thing I really like about this series is that friendship and bonds barely mean something. If you win a battle, it's not because your bonds or some shit like that are stronger, but because your overall physique, technique and intelligence exceeded that of your opponent's.
- Kuroki Gensai vs Setsuna: Muscle bear fingers boy almost to death, haha. Nah, jokes aside, I would be lying if I did say that the outcome of this fight was something that I was expecting. I thought the plot would protect Setsuna and let him advance to the final round, but I guess this tournament's outcomes aren't as evident as I thought they would be (another thing I really like). Really liked Setsuna's backstory too and the choreography and art for this fight especially caught my interest among the other fights too, along with the Raian vs Ohma fight. Looks like I really underestimated the old man. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it to the final round and not even the Fang can beat him.
- Hatsumi Sen vs Bando: Now this one was quite obvious that Sen would win, but again, the way each character has its own unique charm, design, fighting style and motives is really well done. Really hyped to see Sen in peak condition against the Fang (though, I think the Fang will still win that).
- Kanoh vs Gaolang: Wow, I didn't expect Gaolang to put that much of a fight. My respects to him. The title of Thai God of War really lived up to its hype. I really liked how Kanoh tried to subdue him with Gaolang's own fighting style, but at the end, he had to abandon that because his adaptation wasn't enough to surpass him in blows during the battle and had to resort in his own tactics and fighting style. Really shows how broken Gaolang was as a fighter. Another thing that caught my attention is that Kanoh seems to have a multiple personality disorder since the dude calls himself "we" or "us", and some other times "I". Really interested in knowing his backstory.
Now, if you excuse me I'll read more
