Society Coronavirus Hangout

Are you vaccinated?

  • Yes

    Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I would be if I had access

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    13

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It's not really about whether people are personally offended by it or not. The people insisting on calling it the "Chinese virus" are doing so for political reasons and all it really does is foster xenophobia. You can insist on the world holding China accountable without being inflammatory.
What do you expect? It's going to happen and instead of worrying about the small things, do your part.

When people like Trump are saying it, it is inevitable to happen.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
What do you expect? It's going to happen and instead of worrying about the small things, do your part.

When people like Trump are saying it, it is inevitable to happen.
What do I expect? Not really sure what you're replying to what I said.

I don't think Trump used it as a reason to rile up bigots into hating foreigners, they need no help there. He did it in an attempt to shift blame to China and continue to act like the US's response to the outbreak was satisfactory.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
What do I expect? Not really sure what you're replying to what I said.

I don't think Trump used it as a reason to rile up bigots into hating foreigners, they need no help there. He did it in an attempt to shift blame to China and continue to act like the US's response to the outbreak was satisfactory.
Point is that people are assholes and you won't be able to change them. Doesn't matter what was Trump's motive for saying it was the China virus. The people that kiss his ass feel empowered when they say it for derogatory reasons.

That's what I mean when I say who cares what they say.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Trump also blamed China to rile up the bigotry even more and as result get even more support. Anyone not white is a symbol for Trump to rally behind as object of hatred and use that to motivate his supporters to keep rooting for him.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Trump also blamed China to rile up the bigotry even more and as result get even more support. Anyone not white is a symbol for Trump to rally behind as object of hatred and use that to motivate his supporters to keep rooting for him.
It's not just white people. It's literally all Trump supporters.
 

Seven777

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
10,567
Age
31
Country
Australia
I mean, shit like that does often lead to racism. There's been more attacks on Asians after this became a pandemic.
I don't buy it, everyone knows it came from China, as they should. If asian violence has actually risen, and I kinda doubt that it has, that's the reason, not Trump or whoever else calling it the China virus. All the whites crying about it is what made it a big deal in the first place
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
It's not just white people. It's literally all Trump supporters.
Yes, but majority of them are white.
I don't buy it, everyone knows it came from China, as they should. If asian violence has actually risen, and I kinda doubt that it has, that's the reason, not Trump or whoever else calling it the China virus. All the whites crying about it is what made it a big deal in the first place
I wasn't saying calling it the China virus is why the attacks increased, but the pandemic being from China.

As xi0 said, there's a way to hold China accountable without being inflammatory or bigoted.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Trump also blamed China to rile up the bigotry even more and as result get even more support. Anyone not white is a symbol for Trump to rally behind as object of hatred and use that to motivate his supporters to keep rooting for him.
It's clear he insisted on "Chinese virus" so it would distract from him not once owning any blame for how the pandemic affected the country. Any sort of xenophobia is not something he endorses as much as it is something he doesn't give a shit about. Everything he does and says is about his own image, he just doesn't give enough of a shit about the ramifications of what he says, hence it fostering bigotry or people dying from taking fish tank cleaner, or drinking lysol. Everything he says that isn't from a script is a riff that exists to minimize his failures and magnify his "successes" and nothing else really.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I still say he also brought it up to fan xenophobia for more support. He can easily say if it weren't for China, we wouldn't be in a pickle and use his anti-China stance to get more votes.
 

desin24

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2013
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
5,425
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Yes, but majority of them are white.


I wasn't saying calling it the China virus is why the attacks increased, but the pandemic being from China.

As xi0 said, there's a way to hold China accountable without being inflammatory or bigoted.
The majority of people in the US are white. If they all decided to follow Hitler he would get democratically elected. Technically you don't need any minorities to win elections you just need to convince all white people. Of course, the reality is different since white people get trained to hate themselves as evil incarnate but there are also many immigrant Trump supporters.

Isn't that the bizarre situation right now. As soon as you mention China's accountability they fling the racism accusation at western countries. What if simply mentioning China lying and hiding journalists/doctors is already an act of bigotry because it is an accusation against "a minority".
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
The majority of people in the US are white. If they all decided to follow Hitler he would get democratically elected. Technically you don't need any minorities to win elections you just need to convince all white people. Of course, the reality is different since white people get trained to hate themselves as evil incarnate but there are also many immigrant Trump supporters.

Isn't that the bizarre situation right now. As soon as you mention China's accountability they fling the racism accusation at western countries. What if simply mentioning China lying and hiding journalists/doctors is already an act of bigotry because it is an accusation against "a minority".
Isn't there proof of that though? How would they be able to do anything when their own doctors and journalists have said China was covering up the virus? Plus, that's like pot calling the kettle black as the landlords have been kicking Black tenants out of their places due to "fears of coronavirus."
 

Seven777

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
10,567
Age
31
Country
Australia
Yes, but majority of them are white.


I wasn't saying calling it the China virus is why the attacks increased, but the pandemic being from China.

As xi0 said, there's a way to hold China accountable without being inflammatory or bigoted.
I agree there's less inflammatory ways, but bigoted? Thats a word too casually thrown around these days. There's nothing bigoted about referring to a virus by it's country of origin, especially when they're going out of their way to blame it on anyone and everyone.
 

desin24

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2013
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
5,425
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Isn't there proof of that though? How would they be able to do anything when their own doctors and journalists have said China was covering up the virus? Plus, that's like pot calling the kettle black as the landlords have been kicking Black tenants out of their places due to "fears of coronavirus."
The CCP does not care about the truth or reality of the situation and if anyone wants Chinese money then they better follow suit whether the WHO or several news/multimedia companies. Money talks and pretty much nothing else matters. Black people being thrown out of Mc Donalds and racially harassed or Muslim people put into reeducation and labor camps. Doesn't seem like anyone will put something up against them.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I agree there's less inflammatory ways, but bigoted? Thats a word too casually thrown around these days. There's nothing bigoted about referring to a virus by it's country of origin, especially when they're going out of their way to blame it on anyone and everyone.
Nah, if the disease originated in USA or England, they wouldn't be calling it "USA disease," just coronavirus. It's bigoted to refer to a virus by a country of origin (usually) when it has an official name. The paper that Trump read from allegedly also had strikes through "coronavirus" and replaced with "Chinese virus."
The CCP does not care about the truth or reality of the situation and if anyone wants Chinese money then they better follow suit whether the WHO or several news/multimedia companies. Money talks and pretty much nothing else matters. Black people being thrown out of Mc Donalds and racially harassed or Muslim people put into reeducation and labor camps. Doesn't seem like anyone will put something up against them.
The thing is, the West does not care about Black people or Muslims. At best, China would have to actively be spreading Communism, if not hurt white people, for the West to bother taking action.
 

desin24

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2013
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
5,425
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Nah, if the disease originated in USA or England, they wouldn't be calling it "USA disease," just coronavirus. It's bigoted to refer to a virus by a country of origin (usually) when it has an official name. The paper that Trump read from allegedly also had strikes through "coronavirus" and replaced with "Chinese virus."


The thing is, the West does not care about Black people or Muslims. At best, China would have to actively be spreading Communism, if not hurt white people, for the West to bother taking action.
The ebola virus' "official name is Zaire Ebola Virus named after the country. The Zika Virus is named after the Ziika Forest in Uganda. Marburgvirus after the city of Marburg in Germany. I see it less about bigotry but about blame and politics. China letting this pandemic happen or at least covering it up and willfully letting it spread all over the world has a potentially catastrophic effect on the world economy. China being a communist authoritarian police state has better chances to keep the pandemic in check and win from a situation like this. I'm not saying this was a willful conspiracy but that they used the situation to do what is best for them. China did not spread communism (ask Hong Kong and Taiwan) but they spread a virus and hid it, lying all the way through it.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I know ebola came from Africa because of the amount of people that have blamed Africa/Africans for causing and spreading ebola. I know zika virus came from Africa as well because of the same reason as ebola (although I don't remember the countries). I did not know Marburg virus was a strain of ebola until I just googled it, and nor has anyone ever pointed out it coming from or originating in Germany. Hell, I didn't even know the Spanish flu could have originated in the USA if I didn't see some people discussing it and then googling it out of curiosity's sake, and apparently so Americans wouldn't be blamed for the 1918 flu pandemic. That's the sort of shit I see whenever people call it the Chinese virus, it just makes no sense to call it that when it has an official name.

I agree, and like I said, you can hold China accountable without needing to keep calling it Chinese virus. I mean, I probably wouldn't care if viruses that originated in Western countries had Western names as well.
 

Seven777

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
10,567
Age
31
Country
Australia
Nah, if the disease originated in USA or England, they wouldn't be calling it "USA disease," just coronavirus. It's bigoted to refer to a virus by a country of origin (usually) when it has an official name. The paper that Trump read from allegedly also had strikes through "coronavirus" and replaced with "Chinese virus."
It would depend on who was naming it, but if China started calling it the UK virus, would you really give a damn? I'm gonna go ahead and say no, you wouldn't care, cause it don't matter. As desin pointed out, naming a virus by it's country of origin is nothing special, and in this case is even warranted. With China going around saying it's the US' fault or the "blacks did it" lol, calling it the Chinese virus every once in a while is a good reminder to ignore the crazy.

As for Trumps paper allegedly replacing "coronavirus" with "Chinese virus", well first off it's probably bullshit since the official name for it is "covid-19" not "coronavirus", secondly, why should anyone give a shit? We already know he's calling it the Chinese virus to piss people off.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I know ebola came from Africa because of the amount of people that have blamed Africa/Africans for causing and spreading ebola. I know zika virus came from Africa as well because of the same reason as ebola (although I don't remember the countries). I did not know Marburg virus was a strain of ebola until I just googled it, and nor has anyone ever pointed out it coming from or originating in Germany. Hell, I didn't even know the Spanish flu could have originated in the USA if I didn't see some people discussing it and then googling it out of curiosity's sake, and apparently so Americans wouldn't be blamed for the 1918 flu pandemic. That's the sort of shit I see whenever people call it the Chinese virus, it just makes no sense to call it that when it has an official name.

I agree, and like I said, you can hold China accountable without needing to keep calling it Chinese virus. I mean, I probably wouldn't care if viruses that originated in Western countries had Western names as well.
Marburg virus isn't a strain of ebola, it's a similar, but separate virus.

They called it the Spanish flu because they thought Spain had been the epicenter for the disease. It was 1918, so no one really knew anything about such a thing. There's still no hard evidence where it originated, and it wasn't only the US calling it the Spanish flu either.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
It would depend on who was naming it, but if China started calling it the UK virus, would you really give a damn? I'm gonna go ahead and say no, you wouldn't care, cause it don't matter. As desin pointed out, naming a virus by it's country of origin is nothing special, and in this case is even warranted. With China going around saying it's the US' fault or the "blacks did it" lol, calling it the Chinese virus every once in a while is a good reminder to ignore the crazy.

As for Trumps paper allegedly replacing "coronavirus" with "Chinese virus", well first off it's probably bullshit since the official name for it is "covid-19" not "coronavirus", secondly, why should anyone give a shit? We already know he's calling it the Chinese virus to piss people off.
If China called it UK virus as people from UK were attacked and discriminated against, then I'd give damn, yeah. If Asians weren't attacked prior to calling it a Chinese virus or after, then I wouldn't care much.

It's not warranted when the name is coronavirus. I'm not sure if they're really blaming US for it, but they are blaming Black people for whatever reason and should be held accountable.

Because he's going out of his way to keep calling it Chinese virus? Why would anyone cross out and replace every word?

Marburg virus isn't a strain of ebola, it's a similar, but separate virus.

They called it the Spanish flu because they thought Spain had been the epicenter for the disease. It was 1918, so no one really knew anything about such a thing. There's still no hard evidence where it originated, and it wasn't only the US calling it the Spanish flu either.
I'm going off by memory with what I read on the WHO website.

I know, but it's also been theorized that it originated in central US, and that some soldiers lied so they wouldn't be seen as guilty or USA look bad, I forgot which one.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I know, but it's also been theorized that it originated in central US, and that some soldiers lied so they wouldn't be seen as guilty or USA look bad, I forgot which one.
Yeah and it's been theorized it started in France during WWI and also in China as well. The point is it being erroneously named due to lack of science isn't analogous to COVID-19. Calling it "Wuhan virus" isn't the same as calling it "Chinese virus" either.
 
Top