Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I get the nostalgia argument. It might actually be this. It was just a personal opinion that came to me in the last few months coming back to Reading Jump and I wanted to know how most of you thought about it. And it's pretty clear that you guys don't agree.
Coming from someone who started to read manga in 2007 and doesn't have a agenda against older series like Rain, the problem was more that you just straight up said "this list of series from like 10+ years ago are clearly superior than the average current series, Jump was better back in the day", it's honestly not a good way to say things, specially when the majority of series you mentioned aren't really a masterpiece or objectively superior than the current ones, yes, i read all of them and many have a special place in my heart in the same way Black Clover has as my current favorite battle manga on Jump.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
And my opinion is that there is a huge drop in terms of quality and diversity compared to that time.
I understand that quality is a matter of perspective and opinion, but looking to this line-up, I Just think It was better back then.
I agree, I easily prefer the Jump lineup from a decade ago compared to this era quality and diversity wise

2010 Established Series

Kochikame
ONE PIECE
Hunter x Hunter

NARUTO
Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar
BLEACH
Gintama
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Psyren
Sket Dance
Nurarihyon no Mago
Toriko
Bakuman
Inumarudashii
Kuroko no Basket
Beelzebub
Medaka Box
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami

2020 Established Series

ONE PIECE
Hunter x Hunter

Haikyu!!
My Hero Academia
Black Clover
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Kimetsu no Yaiba
The Promised Neverland
We Never Learn
Dr.STONE
Act-Age
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Yep, and that holds for fiction as a whole now. Even a cinematic masterwork like Parasite was made by an open film-buff, and doesn't really "innovate" as much just being a good movie.

Innovation is overrated anyway, unless you seriously want to argue Birth of a Nation is the greatest movie ever made.
Main thing is - innovation means nothing if your execution is lacking.
HxH takes the most generic troupes you can find and flips them upside down. Togashi executed it to near perfection.

Why did MHA succeed while something like Zipman fail despite being similar-ish in some aspects? Good execution on one's side while Zipman (from what I've heard from others) was just poorly executed.
It's why most series trying to follow the most popular manga trends fail because they lack the execution which THAT popular manga had.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I agree, I easily prefer the Jump lineup from a decade ago compared to this era quality and diversity wise

2010 Established Series

Kochikame
ONE PIECE
Hunter x Hunter

NARUTO
Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar
BLEACH
Gintama
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Psyren
Sket Dance
Nurarihyon no Mago
Toriko
Bakuman
Inumarudashii
Kuroko no Basket
Beelzebub
Medaka Box
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami

2020 Established Series

ONE PIECE
Hunter x Hunter

Haikyu!!
My Hero Academia
Black Clover
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Kimetsu no Yaiba
The Promised Neverland
We Never Learn
Dr.STONE
Act-Age
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
Might you want to, say, give an actual argument as to why you think these series are better? Or are you going to just leave it there?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
In terms of successful series yes, it's pretty diverse. Compare series that are definitely established in each issue, in this issue we have

5 normal battle shounen (One Piece, MHA, Black Clover, Kimetsu, Jujutsu)
1 weird experiment battle shounen (Chainsawman)
1 battle of wits (Neverland)
1 sports (Haikyuu)
2 romcom (WNL, Yuuna)
1 heavy genre mix (Dr Stone is survival/adventure/crafting/battle of wits/action)
1 creative arts series (Act-age)

compare that to #23 of 2010

9 normal battle shounen (OP, Naruto, Bleach, Psyren, Toriko, Reborn, HxH, Nura, Medaka Box)
2 gag battle shounen (Gintama, Beelzebub)
4 gag series (KochiKame, Inumarudashii, Jaguar, Sket Dance)
1 sports (Kuroko)
1 creative arts series (Bakuman)

Overall though, there was 17 established series in that issue and only two of them weren't either battle shounen, gag manga, or a mix of the two. There wasn't even a romcom at that point since To Love Ru had ended and Nisekoi hadn't started yet.

and #23 of 2000

5 battle shounen (OP, HxH, Houshin Engi, Shaman King, Naruto)
1 card battle (Yugioh)
5 sports (Whistle, Rising Impact, Prince of Tennis, Rookies)
1 alternate game sports (Hikaru no Go)
3 gag manga (KochiKame, Takeshi)
1 romcom (I"s)

Decently diverse, of note here is that Rising Impact, Prince of Tennis, and Naruto were less than a year old at that point but it wouldn't reduce genre variety.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Current lineup is quite diverse, it's just lacking in quantity since there's often 14-17 established series compared to the current 12, soon to be 10.

2010 was definitely a lot less diverse no matter how you cut up the genres, though if you're not really into the other genres and mostly just like battle shounen people might much prefer that.
 

Drake98

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
112
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
All eras are generic for their time because they are usually built on inspirations from the eras before them. People who love the current generation will definitely whine about the next generation of manga being generic, in the future.

In this age, being innovative is almost impossible because almost everything you can think of has been done before.

Execution is the key ingredient.
Coming from someone who started to read manga in 2007 and doesn't have a agenda against older series like Rain, the problem was more that you just straight up said "this list of series from like 10+ years ago are clearly superior than the average current series, Jump was better back in the day", it's honestly not a good way to say things, specially when the majority of series you mentioned aren't really a masterpiece or objectively superior than the current ones, yes, i read all of them and many have a special place in my heart in the same way Black Clover has as my current favorite battle manga on Jump.
I never said clearly. Maybe I should expressed myself better. I also love some of the New series. Haikyuu has become my favorite sports manga after Slam Dunk. I also really like Chainsaw and MHA.

But while reading the hole current line up, It felt weaker. Specially in the lower ranked series.

I also felt a lack of connection with most series. I really don't care about KnY ending, or TPN. If most of the newbies get cancelled, I wouldn't mind either.

Again, It might be the nostalgia thing. However, there's series that I love like HQ and MHA who are from this current line-up. So I don't really think it's that. For me, there was just more good series, specially comparing the lower ranked series, with the line up Just being stronger overall.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
In terms of successful series yes, it's pretty diverse. Compare series that are definitely established at that point)

5 normal battle shounen (One Piece, MHA, Black Clover, Kimetsu, Jujutsu)
1 weird experiment battle shounen (Chainsawman)
1 battle of wits (Neverland)
1 sports (Haikyuu)
2 romcom (WNL, Yuuna)
1 heavy genre mix (Dr Stone is survival/adventure/crafting/battle of wits/action)
1 creative arts series (Act-age)

compare that to #23 of 2010

9 normal battle shounen (OP, Naruto, Bleach, Psyren, Toriko, Reborn, HxH, Nura, Medaka Box)
2 gag battle shounen (Gintama, Beelzebub)
4 gag series (KochiKame, Inumarudashii, Jaguar, Sket Dance)
1 sports (Kuroko)
1 creative arts series (Bakuman)

Overall though, there was 17 established series in that issue and only two of them weren't either battle shounen, gag manga, or a mix of the two. There wasn't even a romcom at that point since To Love Ru had ended and Nisekoi hadn't started yet.

and #23 of 2000

5 battle shounen (OP, HxH, Houshin Engi, Shaman King, Naruto)
1 card battle (Yugioh)
5 sports (Whistle, Rising Impact, Prince of Tennis, Rookies)
1 alternate game sports (Hikaru no Go)
3 gag manga (KochiKame, Takeshi)
1 romcom (I"s)

Decently diverse, of note here is that Rising Impact, Prince of Tennis, and Naruto were less than a year old at that point but it wouldn't reduce genre variety.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Current lineup is quite diverse, it's just lacking in quantity since there's often 14-17 established series compared to the current 12, soon to be 10.

2010 was definitely a lot less diverse no matter how you cut up the genres, though it did have twice as many battle shounen as we do now so I can see someone preferring it if they're not really into the other stuff much.
5 normal battle shounen (One Piece, MHA, Black Clover, Kimetsu, Jujutsu)
1 weird experiment battle shounen (Chainsawman)
1 battle of wits (Neverland)
1 sports (Haikyuu)
2 romcom (WNL, Yuuna)
1 heavy genre mix (Dr Stone is survival/adventure/crafting/battle of wits/action)
1 creative arts series (Act-age)
1 Hiatus Genre (HxH)

There, fixed it for you
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I never said clearly. Maybe I should expressed myself better. I also love some of the New series. Haikyuu has become my favorite sports manga after Slam Dunk. I also really like Chainsaw and MHA.

But while reading the hole current line up, It felt weaker. Specially in the lower ranked series.

I also felt a lack of connection with most series. I really don't care about KnY ending, or TPN. If most of the newbies get cancelled, I wouldn't mind either.

Again, It might be the nostalgia thing. However, there's series that I love like HQ and MHA who are from this current line-up. So I don't really think it's that. For me, there was just more good series, specially comparing the lower ranked series, with the line up Just being stronger overall.
You arguing that there are series in the current roster you enjoy doesn't invalidate the point that you are speaking from the perspective of rose tinted lenses.

And of course you don't have an "emotional connection" to series literally about to end, you yourself admitted you only read them because of quarantine.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
And of course you don't have an "emotional connection" to series literally about to end, you yourself admitted you only read them because of quarantine.
Yeah, it's almost like you need to read a series over time to fully appreciate it.

*coughyourtorikoreadthroughcough*
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I never said clearly. Maybe I should expressed myself better. I also love some of the New series. Haikyuu has become my favorite sports manga after Slam Dunk. I also really like Chainsaw and MHA.

But while reading the hole current line up, It felt weaker. Specially in the lower ranked series.

I also felt a lack of connection with most series. I really don't care about KnY ending, or TPN. If most of the newbies get cancelled, I wouldn't mind either.

Again, It might be the nostalgia thing. However, there's series that I love like HQ and MHA who are from this current line-up. So I don't really think it's that. For me, there was just more good series, specially comparing the lower ranked series, with the line up Just being stronger overall.
Lol. You're fine with what you like. Its your taste. You do you.
But I agree with others here, the current line up has one of the most diverse group of series WSJ has ever seen.

Quality is subjective. Bleach is my favorite series (got a tattoo and everything) but it's generic as fuck. But it's execution was unique because of Kubo's style. Same can be said about most other series from 2000s and most today.

If anything, the most unique series from 2000s was Gintama.
 

Drake98

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
112
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You arguing that there are series in the current roster you enjoy doesn't invalidate the point that you are speaking from the perspective of rose tinted lenses.

And of course you don't have an "emotional connection" to series literally about to end, you yourself admitted you only read them because of quarantine.
That makes no sense. I also read HQ and MHA in that same time frame.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I mean if we're talking diversity then:
#3-4 1995
Battle: Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Kenshin, Jojo
Adventure(?): Ninku, Kagemusha
Action(?): Rash!!
Gag: Luckyman, Kochikame, Shin Tar-chan(?), Nube(?), Bonbonzaka, Ou-sama wa Roba
Psychological Drama: Mind Assassin
Yankee: Rokudenashi Blues, BØY
Spokon: Slam Dunk, Tsubasa World Youth, Makibao(?) Bakudan(?)
(?) means that I'm not sure of it's position or if I wasn't too sure if the genre even exists within Jump
 

red_

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 6, 2019
Messages
22
Reaction score
24
Age
26
Gender
Male
Country
Uchiha Clan
I agree, I easily prefer the Jump lineup from a decade ago compared to this era quality and diversity wise

2010 Established Series

Kochikame
ONE PIECE
Hunter x Hunter

NARUTO
Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar
BLEACH
Gintama
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Psyren
Sket Dance
Nurarihyon no Mago
Toriko
Bakuman
Inumarudashii
Kuroko no Basket
Beelzebub
Medaka Box
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami

2020 Established Series

ONE PIECE
Hunter x Hunter

Haikyu!!
My Hero Academia
Black Clover
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Kimetsu no Yaiba
The Promised Neverland
We Never Learn
Dr.STONE
Act-Age
Jujutsu Kaisen
Chainsaw Man
By the end of the year, jump possibly loses Haikyu and WNL (whenever that happens), for sure loses Kimetsu, TPN. HxH is for sure established, but I feel weird placing it there because of the hiatus. If you count what's going to be there for established series at the end of the year not including what might they might lose, it's only 8 series. It's crazy how different the lineup for established series is when you compare 2010 to 2020.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
mid 80s to mid-90s is Jump's Golden era for a reason after all.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is there any major successful series in Jump that wasn't derivative?
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Might you want to, say, give an actual argument as to why you think these series are better? Or are you going to just leave it there?
I don't feel the need to write several essays explaining why I prefer certain series over other series but to put it short, personally I just felt the majority of the 2010 lineup had way more quality than the 2020 lineup, this isnt me saying the 2010 lineup is perfect because I didnt enjoy Toriko, Reborn, or Medaka Box, but I just rate and enjoyed majority of the series from a decade ago more than I do the from this decade
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Is there any major successful series in Jump that wasn't derivative?
There's a few that are unique for Jump, but their genres are more common elsewhere (like Act-age). Death Note definitely stands out though, I can't think of something quite like it beforehand.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Death Note? It was super unique.
And I'd throw in Gintama.
Gintama was heavily influenced by Rurouni Kenshin and samurai fiction in general. Sorachi had a...unique way of showing it, but the serious arcs have that influence in full view.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top