Discussion Bounties: How are they Attributed?

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
If Robin & her info is such a threat..whybis user Bounty 79k-120k for over a decade...She's not a bigger threat than Veteran pirates with bounties 4x times her own...
I think it's because between those years, she had been bouncing around different affilations in order to maintain a certain level of safety until she got involved with Crocodile. Her bounty only then increased when her crew's did after Dressrosa )because not only was her initla bounty (79m) based on her threat level to the WG because of her knowledge of the poneglyp) as her captain was involved in taking down a Shichibukai, the WG couldn't cover it up this time due to Fujitora owning up the issue.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I think 79 million was decided because it'd be way too odd to give a kid too high a bounty, and bounties weren't as inflated as it is now.
 

XXGenesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
3,135
Reaction score
1,885
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Turkmenistan
Her bounty is still lower than most Pirates...She can read the Poneglyphs...WG doesnt know how much info that's on them that she knows...Also the info on them is probably not all that threatening to the stability of the WG....only the One Piece is...

Look at Doffy, an ex-celestials turn Pirate. His bounty is 500k, with his activities & blackmail of the 5 Stars...He's a buffer threat than Robin..even so that he feels/know they will assassinate him.

I can agree to disagree. But its mighty funny how the Biggest threats in One Piece with the biggest bounties are in the top tier of the series. Also it's funny that after battles aside from exceptions their bounties also raise....

Power is used to execute one's will. SH pirates would be no where of they were weam..I.E. 2Y 3D....
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
If the info wasn't that threatening to the stability of WG, then they wouldn't outlaw reading Poneglyphs, commit genocide, or set a high bounty on Robin and chase her for two decades. The WG probably knows or has an idea of the info. Her bounty was pretty high as a kid that it made people report her.

Doflamingo knows the Tenryuubito's secret, Robin doesn't.

It's also funny that they each are known to be close to One Piece or have the ability to get to Raftel, which is where a lot of the threat comes from. Strength is associated with getting to Raftel, even though it's not really necessary.
 

thedude

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
3,045
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Given the odd numbers of bounties, I would assume there is an additive nature to it depending on the crime. Unless there is some weird percentage equation they use to bump it up.
Right, it would be additive, but I meant more it's not like Kaku was worth 60M berri, it is more like "he did this, and then he did that, so we need to increase his bounty to reflect how much more dangerous he is...$130M seems about right for a new bounty". In a vacuum, defeating Jabra or Kaku would likely have resulted in a similar bounty. But since Zoro already had a high bounty, his just increased to what they thought was a more appropriate number.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,919
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Marines definitely consider position in the crew when giving bounties. Otherwise at times the sheer bounty difference between luffy,zoro and sanji would be weird at times. Sanji and zoro could have reasonably been given larger bounties but the marines probably did not want to give three 100 mil bounties to a lone rookie crew.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I am not really of the idea that bounties are cumulative. In a previous post I mention thresholds and whatnot.
I guess that has to be the case a @thedude mentioned. I'm not a fan of it personally, but it's the only thing that makes sense. The numbering is still weird.


Even the world government is not brazen enough to give a literal baby a bounty...
They gave Robin one when she was 8 and placed bounties on pets. I wouldn't be surprised if babies got tiny bounties.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think 79 million was decided because it'd be way too odd to give a kid too high a bounty, and bounties weren't as inflated as it is now.
I mean, she got 1 million added post Ennis Lobby. That would've been a decent moment to up it if it was an age thing.
 

thedude

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
3,045
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Marines definitely consider position in the crew when giving bounties. Otherwise at times the sheer bounty difference between luffy,zoro and sanji would be weird at times. Sanji and zoro could have reasonably been given larger bounties but the marines probably did not want to give three 100 mil bounties to a lone rookie crew.
I think Sanji and Zoro get over $500M after this arc, $1B moving into the finale.
 

junjun2

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
717
Gender
Hidden
Country
Earth Kindom
The WG doesn't know how many and which poneglyphs Robin has found. I think that's why they don't raise her bounty much.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I mean, she got 1 million added post Ennis Lobby. That would've been a decent moment to up it if it was an age thing.
As someone above mentioned, they probably didn't want to increase the crew's total bounty too much because it'd show how much of a threat they are to the government. One of the main things WG/Marines seem to care about is their image, and I guess shooting up the bounty significantly makes it look like they can't really handle the rookies.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Robin's bounty increase of 1 million is kinda weird.

In practice, I think it means the government now thinks she now got the strength to back up a bounty like that, instead of a false report of destroying Marine battleships?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

They said so in the arc itself, they credited Smoker with beating Crocodile.

You also can't look at bounties as additive. Like Zoro didn't get $60M for beating Kaku, $17M less than Sanji. Sanji got his first bounty, and Zoro got an increase. Kaku wasn't worth $60M. Beating Kaku and his earlier exploits raised him to his new bounty.
I assume that beating a strong opponent may get you an increase, but if you only did it once, it could be just luck. But if you beat enemies of the same level over and over again, then you get a much higher.

Would explain why Zoro got a bounty lower than Daz Bones, and why Sanji's bounty was so much lower than Zoro after defeating the CP9.
 
Last edited:

thedude

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
3,045
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Robin's bounty increase of 1 million is kinda weird.

In practice, I think it means the government now thinks she now got the strength to back up a bounty like that, instead of a false report of destroying Marine battleships?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


I assume that beating a strong opponent may get you an increase, but if you only did it once, it could be just luck. But if you beat enemies of the same level over and over again, then you get a much higher.

Would explain why Zoro got a bounty lower than Daz Bones, and why Sanji's bounty was so much lower than Zoro after defeating the CP9.
For Sanji, the Marines didn't notice him during Alabasta (Bon Clay wasn't captured after the fight, so marines didn't even know Sanji beat him, and likely didn't know much about Bon Clay anyway since his power was about deception). So Zoro had a number of feats, starting with being a known bounty hunter of some renown already, whereas Sanji was off the radar as a chef.

It took until beating Jabra for Sanji to finally get on their radar, and his first bounty reflected that, higher than Luffy's or Zoro's initial bounty since CP9 were more powerful than anyone in East Blue. But Zoro's went higher because he still had his history, so beating a member of CP9, plus beating Daz, plus being an infamous pirate hunter made him more of a name to the marines, someone whose power they had a better handle on, and therefore someone worth over $100M bounty.

That's how I see it!
 

Kato756

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2014
Messages
1,880
Reaction score
2,467
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Or rather, the press (big news looking at you) missinterpreted something Boa said, do you think Luffy´s bounty would (Realistically*) raise, and by how much?

*We know that Oda likes to change bounties as a way to show progress and in the aftermath of big moments, but in a "real" sense I´d think Luffy´s bounty should´ve been raising in a more steady manner
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think so.

It should be looked upon as an alliance and since those don't raise one's bounties, their bounties will probably remain the same.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think so.

It should be looked upon as an alliance and since those don't raise one's bounties, their bounties will probably remain the same.
Well to be fair, ch957 made it seem as if the Marines would review Big Mom and Kaido's bounties should they join forces. So more to the point, if Boa and Luffy joined by alliance or marriage, there would be a bounty change, most likely Boa's and even then it would depend on what her current bounty is (now that the Shichibukai have been dismissed).
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well to be fair, ch957 made it seem as if the Marines would review Big Mom and Kaido's bounties should they join forces. So more to the point, if Boa and Luffy joined by alliance or marriage, there would be a bounty change, most likely Boa's and even then it would depend on what her current bounty is (now that the Shichibukai have been dismissed).
Eh, I think it was just the Shichibukai who got actual revisions and they were just reviewing the Yonkou bounties as a refresher since the Shichibukai would no longer be used to help.

I don't think alliances themselves require an increase in bounty, especially given how volatile they should be considered in universe.
 
Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Eh, I think it was just the Shichibukai who got actual revisions and they were just reviewing the Yonkou bounties as a refresher since the Shichibukai would no longer be used to help.

I don't think alliances themselves require an increase in bounty, especially given how volatile they should be considered in universe.
I'm aware of the Shichibukai bounties being revised, but I was referring to this panel:



I guess then it's referring to their combined bounty in being more than that of Roger or Whitebeard, and not both.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm aware of the Shichibukai bounties being revised, but I was referring to this panel:



I guess then it's referring to their combined bounty in being more than that of Roger or Whitebeard, and not both.
I figured that was the panel you meant.

Honestly, the way they ledd up to the reveal of the Yonkou bounties was a bit iffy since they were just talking about the Shichibukai and then jumped to the Yonkou for no real reason.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,919
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I figured that was the panel you meant.

Honestly, the way they ledd up to the reveal of the Yonkou bounties was a bit iffy since they were just talking about the Shichibukai and then jumped to the Yonkou for no real reason.
The weirder part is that the marines in the room wouldn't already know. You'd think every marine alive would know that kaido is worth 4.6 billion...
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
The weirder part is that the marines in the room wouldn't already know. You'd think every marine alive would know that kaido is worth 4.6 billion...
That was most definitely for our benefit but also it was Sengoku that asked the question. At the time I thought it was because he had away from active Marine duties so he was curious if anything had changed.

I'm going to merge this with the Bounty thread; there's nothing that's discussed here that can't be done there, but also eventually this would move away from Luffy and Hancock, which it's started to already.
 
Top