Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Caved and read spoilers for AT:

I’ll need to read this to get the full picture tomorrow, but right now, I’m seriously intrigued by this. Chapter 2 or 3 are gonna be really crucial to my opinion of the series. Here’s hoping the slice-of-life bits are more like the one-shot.

I hope Yabuki can find a balance with the ecchi elements. I hear that there isn’t much of it in chapter 1, but that could still be enough to drive potential readers away.

I want to like this manga and see it succeed. here’s hoping the next two episodes really sell me on it.
Read the translated version.
Since it ain't up on M+ I won't spoiler it, but so much: I think BoneC is done for.
I like the twist, though I knew it was coming due spoilers, and I think if it can manage to stay then AT will be something that hasn't been there in Jump for a while even if it becomes an ecchi harem down the road.
Yabuki got all the elements to make this series whatever he wants it to be - a romantic SoL, a battlemanga with Ayakashi, a ecchi series with lots of cute human girls, exorcist girls and Yokai girls. I think he will find his way though I bet it will most likely be the latter road due Yuuna being gone so having a new series with cute/sexy girls will ensure a longer lifetime than having to battle it out with BnHA and OP and such as a battlemanga. I think the first chapter was good, not amazing, but pretty good. Will say more when it is out on M+ and we can talk freely about it. Maybe more people will talk about the "twist" than the first chapter itself.^^
 

NyanPower

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
360
Reaction score
773
Age
25
Country
Italy
Sooo the first chapter of Ayakashi Triangle was somehow leaked and translated.
It was way better than expected. The author knows what he is doing. Pretty art. Great action. There were a lot of sexual innuendos which made the 1st chapter more fun.
I was NOT expecting the twist at the end lmao. This is going to be a wild action/ecchi series for sure
All in all great first chapter
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
Wasn't Superbowl (American football) the most famous sport event in the USA?
Also, I never know any countries care about baseball beside the USA, its Eastern fangirls (Japan and Korea) and Cuba. Do Canada play anything beside Ice Hockey? Do Mexico play anything but real football?
That's the biggest single event, yes. But apparently baseball is known as "America's Favorite Pastime" and "widely recognized as the national sport of the United States" (just quoting Wikipedia here, I don't care enough to actually research it), so I'm guessing it's more popular in general.

They could always nerf the characters in Dragon Ball, like they did in Toriko x OP x DBZ crossover.
Please don't. Or at least give us a reason - say that the atmosphere of the planet they are on suppresses Saiyan ki or whatever. It doesn't need to be high literature, it just needs to make some basic sense.

(Also they had to create an entire subplot to remove Goku from that story for half of the race, because no amount of nerfing would justify him not winning immediately. That's pretty bad.)

Blue Lock & Shokugeki have similar settings, i.e prestigious facility/academy. The setting is hard to pull off in the long run without it becoming repetitive/boring. I personally prefer if spokon's avoid it tbh.
I'm not talking about the setting, I'm talking about how the characters in Blue Lock play a different variation of the game in every round. That's what keeps it interesting for me.

A bit off topic, but I think power levels are practically irrelevant when they start going into absurdity.
In all honesty, whether we’re talking about Naruto, DB, Bleach, MHA, YYH, Black Clover, etc. these characters are only as strong as the plot needs them to be.

If the plot requires All Might or Naruto to be able to keep up with Super Ultra Instinct Rainbow God Super Saiyan White Goku, than they’ll they get some type of power up that’ll let them do so.
But I don't want absurdity. I want an actual plot.

And if they suddenly make Deku as strong as Goku (with no training or angel magic or anything), that would seriously break the story for me.

Thats why I hate power level debates so much in the anime community. The power levels are rarely even consistent within their own series.
Yeah, I generally avoid those too (though I might be more inclined to participate if the discussions were a bit more, er, level-headed).

But there's still a limit to what you can get away with without justifying it somehow.

Toriyama claims Krillen is the strongest human in the series, despite Krillen retiring and not doing anything for nearly a decade, while Town trains relentlessly and is somehow weaker.
And Master Roshi, a character who was long ago left behind, somehow fought against Gods in a recent arc.
Who is Town?

And when did Roshi fight against Gods? (I remember him avoiding Jiren for like three seconds before getting knocked out, but Gods?)
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Thats why I hate power level debates so much in the anime community. The power levels are rarely even consistent within their own series.
Go read WT if you haven't yet. It's one of the few series that got its power levels shit together. So much some people can't stop complaining about the MC being "too weak" when they fail to realize he is just a normal, average dude walking among GODS! Or at least real Pros who know what they are doing and who are seriously talented.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
That's the biggest single event, yes. But apparently baseball is known as "America's Favorite Pastime" and "widely recognized as the national sport of the United States" (just quoting Wikipedia here, I don't care enough to actually research it), so I'm guessing it's more popular in general.


Please don't. Or at least give us a reason - say that the atmosphere of the planet they are on suppresses Saiyan ki or whatever. It doesn't need to be high literature, it just needs to make some basic sense.

(Also they had to create an entire subplot to remove Goku from that story for half of the race, because no amount of nerfing would justify him not winning immediately. That's pretty bad.)


I'm not talking about the setting, I'm talking about how the characters in Blue Lock play a different variation of the game in every round. That's what keeps it interesting for me.


But I don't want absurdity. I want an actual plot.

And if they suddenly make Deku as strong as Goku (with no training or angel magic or anything), that would seriously break the story for me.


Yeah, I generally avoid those too (though I might be more inclined to participate if the discussions were a bit more, er, level-headed).

But there's still a limit to what you can get away with without justifying it somehow.


Who is Town?

And when did Roshi fight against Gods? (I remember him avoiding Jiren for like three seconds before getting knocked out, but Gods?)
I meant Tien. Auto correct corrected it to town.

And I don’t necessarily mean Roshi literally fought the Gods. But last time Roshi was relevant he was no where near as strong as the weekest major DBZ villain. But he was strong enough now to fight aside everyone else who are supposedly, at the very least, stronger than the villains we’ve seen in DBZ and are a challenge to everyone who beat those villains.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 6/13

Jump


#33 Jujutsu Kaisen 11
#42 Chainsaw Man 7
#68 We Never Learn 17
#171 Mashle 1
#177 Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings 22
#320 Undead Unluck 2
#354 Mission: Yozakura Family 3

Jump+

#51 Jigokuraku 10
#222 Ao no Flag 8
#478 Saotome Shimai wa Manga no Tame Nara!? 7

#1 Kimetsu no Yaiba 20 Special Edition
#2 Kimetsu no Yaiba 7
#3 Kimetsu no Yaiba 8
#4 Kimetsu no Yaiba 1
#5 Kimetsu no Yaiba 9
#6 Kimetsu no Yaiba 2
#7 Kimetsu no Yaiba 10
#8 Kimetsu no Yaiba 19
#9 Kimetsu no Yaiba 18
#10 Kimetsu no Yaiba 11
#11 Kimetsu no Yaiba 12
#13 Kimetsu no Yaiba 17
#14 Kimetsu no Yaiba 14
#15 Kimetsu no Yaiba 13
#16 Kimetsu no Yaiba 20
#17 Kimetsu no Yaiba 3
#18 Kimetsu no Yaiba 16
#19 Kimetsu no Yaiba 15
#20 Kimetsu no Yaiba 6
#21 Kimetsu no Yaiba 5
#22 Kimetsu no Yaiba 4
Mashle's putting out a pretty strong showing, and if the first volume is selling this well, I'm guessing the upcoming volume will sell even better since those chapters are considerably better than the first volume's worth of chapters. Undead and Yozakura are both selling pretty decently too, especially since I think stock if playing a role there
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Jump's officially out! Happy reading to you all! Really curious if Guardian's barreling towards a potential ending next week, and I'm interested in the first impressions of Ayakashi Triangle.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Last edited:

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Jump's officially out! Happy reading to you all! Really curious if Guardian's barreling towards a potential ending next week, and I'm interested in the first impressions of Ayakashi Triangle.
Just read Guardian and it basically set up a new arc with a completely new character and story revolving around her.

Very odd. Seems like it will get a hard axe/"journey continues" kind of ending.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Neverland's ending was pretty good and I don't care what the consensus became, I enjoyed the series until the very end. I'll miss it and I hope they'll be back in Jump sooner rather than later, individually or as a duo.
 

KennyKuro

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Messages
472
Reaction score
1,270
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
Along Kubo's Zombie Powder, Ayashi Triangle it's one of the few manga that I have read that it had no double page spread (not counting LCP) in its first chapter.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
"Web-only" :3c
Is there some kind of joke I’m missing? :huh:

Also, the series’ translator is a native speaker? As in, full-on Japanese heritage/descent? That’s great. There’s going to be less risk of something getting lost in translation.

As for the first chapter itself, all in all, a solid opening for the series. At first, Suzu felt too “plain” for me design-wise, but now I understand why. The setup is great and the choreography is solid, as you’d expect from a veteran. If there’s a series that’s going to stick around in this batch, this would be your safest bet.

I definitely think Yabuki can pull off all of the different elements together nicely, since the foundation is already strong from the get-go. Whichever direction he heads in, whether it’s action sprinkled with ecchi or an emphasis on the comedy, or even go into a harem, I think it’s going to appeal to a lot of people. I definitely like the fact that you can ship the MCs both ways :tss.

Which reminds me of an old classic, Ranma 1/2. I’m probably speaking hyperbole, but if this ends up being the Ranma 1/2 of this generation, I’d be happy. But that also brings me to a question: the set-up makes it that the endgame is for Matsuri to find a way to turn back, but what if along the way he accepts his fate? Personally, I’d be disappointed since that would be the same as Deku giving up OFA at the end of the series to Bakugou because he dies sacrificing himself in the final battle. However, I can most definitely see some people being happy with that ending. Whaddya guys think?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
The series is on M+ app so Viz is kinda trolling here. I know Viz wants to retain their rating on the app (That's why it's web-only)
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I gotta say, Undead Unluck has the best worldbuilding of any series I've read since Toriko.

This week's chapter may just be my favorite so far. Really good week in general.
 

Zetsyn

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2020
Messages
90
Reaction score
236
Country
Philippines
So long, Neverland. Gone but not forgotten, in one way or another. It ends on 15 LCPs and 32 (?, somewhere around this number) CPs, if anyone's curious.

I will say, newbies were particularly strong this week for me. I enjoyed Mashle and UU's, and TimePara to some extent (though I'm kinda hesitant to talk about it).

Mori with its standard wholesome feel and Ayakashi surprised me but also didn't surprise me for different reasons.

Chainsawman, Jujutsu, and Stone had strong chapters this week I would say.
 

Melvo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
190
Country
Spain
Undead Unluck has the best worldbuilding of any series I've read since Toriko.
Every time I read Undead x Unluck, I can't stop thinking about Dragon Ball. That's a really good thing.
Idk if I'm the only one here linking those series.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Jesus, My Hero Academia. This arc is being my favorite arc of any Shonen Jump series of these last 10 years.

My Shonen Jump rank this week would be:
1. My Hero Academia
2. Undead Unluck
3. Ayakashi Triangle (chapter 1 has been really great)
4. Act-age
5. Jujutsu Kaisen
6. Mashle
7. Chainsawman
8. Mission of Yozakura Family
9. Dr.Stone
10. Moriking
11. Time Paradox Ghostwriter
12. One Piece
13. Haikyuu
14. The Promised Neverland
15. Mitama
16. Agravity Boys
17. We Never Learn
18. Guardian of the Witch
19. Bone's Collection
Not this week. Black Clover
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Tbh I would have liked the mc turn into the cat than a girl lol. I wouldn't be surprised if the spell has some reversible effect and he can come back as his true self when he fights or something. I can see the awkward moments coming in.

Overall it was just fine, loved the art and I liked the mc personality. The rest was a bit boring.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top