Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Website only for that tameness? Viz really are prudes.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
I don’t particularly have any old anime series I want to be animated.

But I would still like to see Shuiesha invest in a high budget crossover Jump film, that doesn’t even make sense canonically, but just a dumb excuse to see you favorite characters on screen together with good animation, just like for the Jump video games
JUMP FORCE THE MOVIE
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
Ayakashi Triangle only in English? How weird. The last few batches were always bilingual (though sometimes with a delay).

The cat demon reminds me of Natsume's Book of Friends.
Their dynamic reminds me of Kekkaishi.
That jutsu makes me wonder if any of this is a coincidence.
You know, it's not much of a surprise when everyone keeps hinting at it.
Is that fan service with a cat..?
Is the cat a romantic rival..?
Is the cat a homophobe?

I'm so confused.


Go read WT if you haven't yet. It's one of the few series that got its power levels shit together. So much some people can't stop complaining about the MC being "too weak" when they fail to realize he is just a normal, average dude walking among GODS! Or at least real Pros who know what they are doing and who are seriously talented.
You can't blame them. They are used to the MC being one of the gods.

WT would also be great for a crossover. Give everyone a fake body that equalises their physical strenght but keeps their special skills and abilities. Bonus points if this means we'll be seeing some team strategies.

I meant Tien. Auto correct corrected it to town.

And I don’t necessarily mean Roshi literally fought the Gods. But last time Roshi was relevant he was no where near as strong as the weekest major DBZ villain. But he was strong enough now to fight aside everyone else who are supposedly, at the very least, stronger than the villains we’ve seen in DBZ and are a challenge to everyone who beat those villains.
He's not that strong. He defeated some Frieza soldiers (which are probably around Raditz level) and caught a couple guys with the mafuba (which is independant of physical strength). Everyone else easily overpowered him.

Just read Guardian and it basically set up a new arc with a completely new character and story revolving around her.

Very odd. Seems like it will get a hard axe/"journey continues" kind of ending.
Either that, or the missing M+ ID has another explanation after all.

Every time I read Undead x Unluck, I can't stop thinking about Dragon Ball. That's a really good thing.
Idk if I'm the only one here linking those series.
This is the first time I'm seeing the similarities (except for the staff, I guess). In general, the tone is too different.

Love both series though.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Website only for that tameness? Viz really are prudes.
we don't know where the series goes yet. Viz probably has the first few chapters (however many are done) and it could go a lot more ecchi.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
This constant gag complain makes me think you guys couldnt have liked 70s Jump.
That cover is so badass, the yellow character looks like a Simpson's character
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Undead Unlucky and Chainsawman were, once again, some of the best of the week for me. Chainsawman writing is so good.

Ayakashi was meh. After this chapter I really don't expect much from it.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
we don't know where the series goes yet. Viz probably has the first few chapters (however many are done) and it could go a lot more ecchi.
TLR chapter 1 already had Naked Lala and Yuuna chapter 1 had a lucky sukebe tiddy grab.[/SPOILER]
 

Roacher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
138
Country
Poland
I prefer that TPN got more sad ending.

Now that I think some Jump titles end which characters form romantic relationship with each other and start family. In TPN we don't know who ended up with who. TPN was not that series who attracts a lot of shippers, when you compare to some others Jump titles. Maybe that's good, shipping sometimes can become pretty toxic and end up with unnecesery drama or something worse.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Chainsawman really doesnt shy away from hinting that we wont get a happy ending lol, Fujimoto's such a sadist madlad. Act age going strong right now, the new character seems very fun. Mashle has a good chapter too, not its best, but still a very enjoyable action based chapter.

Moriking isnt one series I'm exactly hyped, but nevertheless it is still very fun to read, like how they're handling the story as of now, wouldnt mind if it stays. Yozakura again does what it does best, having the OTP of the manga acting as such, new character can GTFO tho
 
Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
TLR chapter 1 already had Naked Lala and Yuuna chapter 1 had a lucky sukebe tiddy grab.[/SPOILER]
so it can't go ecchi in chapter 2 because other series do in chapter 1?
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
so it can't go ecchi in chapter 2 because other series do in chapter 1?
Not saying it can't, but it seems that the series will be like Bone Collection were there are small ecchi elements thrown in, but it probably won't be the main focus.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #28 - BOTH WAYS OF VOTING​

The poll for issue #28 is now open HERE!

Last The Promised Neverland chapter and first chapter of Ayakashi Triangle! And the extra series this week are:

-Jigokuraku 101
-Spy x Family 28

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE VOTES​

In order to give a bit more importance and relevance to the traditional poll i will be doing a test, now all your chapters voted in the poll at the top of the thread will be counted as 3 points, not only 1 like before, so you voted in A, B, C, D and E chapters, each one of these votes will count as 3 points instead of 1. The comment voting will keep the same thing, no changes.

Edit: Also, if you guys want your votes to have more impact and help your favorite chapters rise in the rankings, do the comment voting too, there are many voters that only vote in the traditional poll but this only adds 3 point to each series, you can add much more by ranking in the comments :super


Good votes!
 
Last edited:

Gilroygladbouy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 20, 2019
Messages
48
Reaction score
70
Age
31
Country
Canada
Top 10 Chapters for me this week:
1. My Hero Academia
2. Chainsaw Man
3. Undead Unluck
4. Jujutsu Kaisen
5. Mashle
6. One Piece
7. Promised Neverland
8. Moriking
9. Time Paradox Ghostwriter
10. Agravity Boys

As for Ayakashi Triangle. I found it quite average and unoriginal. First of all I knew if when it was called a Ninja exorcist series that is wasn’t going to be too original but I still thought it would be cool. But.... I feel like almost everything it did has been done before and was derived from something else. The ninja stuff felt very much like Naruto with the use of words like Jutsu and wind style, while the yokai stuff has been done in so many series that literally Bone Collection has right now which is only 7 chapters. Then the big twist at the end although I didn’t see coming was pretty much like Ranma 1/2. Still, I think it was better than something like say Bone Collection or Guardian Of The Witch, but I would say it doesn‘t seem all too interesting. Hoping the next chapters are more interesting.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
AT: I liked it, sure a Ninja Exorcist is a bit much in my opinion (like what's next? A Ninja Knight Exorcist Mage? XD) but who cares as long as he looks... sexy? Okay, that was an unexpected twist. Here's to see if AT makes it longer then Hungry Marie. But I think it will. The first chapter did a lot of things right, it explained the setting, showed off the two main characters personalities and relationship (I really liked that they hold different opinion about Ayakashi which clash at each other, one seeing Ayakashi as friends and one as dangers), gave us a Mentor and a main enemy who was also responsible for said main twist as well as a goal for both main hero(ine) and main villain - protect/eat the Ayakashi Medium!
Well done and with surprisingly little fanservice as well. Matsuri is a really cool guy and Suzu is so cute (and thicc! And a glutton! And horny!!!) and Matsuri 2.0 is hella sexy! I really like that Suzu is also shown as the one wanting to advance their relationship to the next step (before the obvious problem arise), usually it is the guys in those kinda settings who want to do that. I can't wait to see the school chapter next chapter as well as how this story will progress - romantic SoL, quick-paced battles vs Ayakashi (who looked pretty cool or adorable or scary btw) or just go full-blown harem with human girls and Ayakashi girls?^^
Also isn't it interesting how a cool battlesuit for a guy can suddenly become a sexy one for a girl? I guess we might be able to add Magical Girl to the whole Ninja Exorcist thingie. XD
Also there's going to be breast envy I bet, because daaaaaamn, son~

OP: Set-up for future fights, done. Next.

BnHA: Seriously kids, I think you are really in over your head, like for real this time.... then again this BnHA so......

TPN: Meh, that ending was very out of the blue for me. Compared to its first chapter it is really underwhelming but I guess that counts for most series endings. No points from me in the rankings though. I will always remember the first arc as it was so awesome and always will be sad about the missing opportunities this series could have taken.

Moriking: Awww, Shoko being so worried about Oka was adorable and then seeing Oka happily nomming a Shota was so funny. Okay it sounded more wrong than it actually looked like but still. XD
Also this Shota must be the prettiest roach ever, just wow! Gotta say I really like Moriking's "everyone's life is precious" because you know he is a bug himself, even if he doesn't look the part, so from him telling a little roach boy that his life is just as worth living and being loved as everyone's else is.... kind of sweet. Like from a human, you would have a hard time believing it, but from the king of insects? Yeah, totally believable. Also with the Soldado we get a new mechanism for the King battles as each king can use two of them in their fights. Very interested to see how Moriking plans to make use of a roach who can only run quickly away from danger in his battles for the crown of crowns.

Dr. THICC: THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICC!!!

UU:
Damn, I love that color page, compared to the whacky and crazy style of the usual UU chapters it is so calming and retro. <3
Also there were the days!!! We were so wrong assume they had been gone due an UMA Kill, they just couldn't exist yet! It makes sense though, without stars there is a whole lot less "inspiration" for myths and thus daynames, still damn incredible that it came to be that way. Same with UU going full Gintama but like Gintama if they had been successful repelling the Alien Invasion, lol. Juiz is really pretty and her Negation power was expected but incredible powerful against the right foe, I can see her getting lots of fanarts after this chapter. Also this world-building is just top-notch! So smooth! So short! So straight to the point yet clear enough that you get both the meaning and influence to the overall story! The Stone tablet with the 101 holes! Ragnarok! The 11th Seat! Things are sharping up! Next arc: THE HUNT for a new Union member! Awesome! This is just keeping up its pace without tripping over its own feet, great stuff! <3

BoneC: ........Aw.....I think this series won't see the end of this year if AT makes it with or despite its twist as I see a lot of hate but also interest for said twist in the M+ comments...

Haikyu!: SYNCHRO ATTACK! NO! I SYNCHRO ATTACK YOU! NO I DO! NO I DO! NO I DO!~~~~

CSM: FUTURE IS BEST! HELL NO! FUTURE IS THE WORST!!! Damn, poor Aki! Just how much suffering can a mangaka put one character through? Dear god...

TPG: You didn't stole it "from the world", you stole it from her. And I still think you should tell her. Also I am not sure I like this well "excuse" of telling the story "his own way" just by using his own art when he is still copying the story one line by line. He basically is the artist with the future Akino being the writer just nobody will ever know... and that really doesn't feel right, especially with the real Akino being there, admiring Teppei so much for his work when in truth it is hers.

Mashle: This was pretty much Sis-con the chapter and that's okay. The power system is a bit weird though as not only the amount of stripes you have but also the type of magic heavily influence your chances of victory. I would like it more if everyone had similar spells kinda like in Hogwarts with the real duels where speed, spell range, varity of spells and such played a role. Here it is pretty much Stone-Paper-Scissor<FIST and as fun as that is with Mashle with other magic based characters it feels a bit anemic.

JjK: I have no idea who this guy is but hotdamn what a guy that guy is! Like he OWNS this chapter! oO

AB: Well... that's not how I expected this situation to be resolved. BOOBIES! indeed, Geralt you poor damn pervert. Monica is a treasure of the galaxy and must be protected from Geralt and Baba at all costs! How can the main head of the galaxy-wise police force be such an innocent lovely creature?! >.<

M:YF: God, I hate how Taiyo is becoming more and more like a less creepy version of the big brother! You're on a date with the girl you love who is stupidly heads over heels into you! ENJOY IT FOR FUCKS SAKE! THERE ARE NO BOMBS; ASSASSINS, POISON; KNIVES; ETC!!! Ugh........... I want more family time and less creep Taiyo time please....

Mitama: I am not even sure if this is its own arc or if this is ending...

AA: God, why is Kei so hot with those crazy eyes of hers declaring how many faces she brought today with her? And I know those two actress are not talking about this kind of "love" but still Sumiji is such a lucky bastard having such amazing women fight over him! I hope a meteor drops on him when his best movie with Kei is finished!

GotW: Yeah, this is over. This chapter really felt "out of order". Oh well. New Space for new series to die in this bloody year. Can't wait to see the tally of series that died in 2020 at the end of this year.

WNL: I honestly couldn't care less about this arc.

SxF: HOH BOY! That secondhand-embarassment almost killed me, lol, poor George, but his classmates are all nice kids (usually) so I'm sure they will forget in time, probably, like in.... okay they will never forget that until their time in school ends, lolololol. XD
Gotta say though it was a surprise to see where that Spy came from and the reason why. And I just love how Becky and Anya are holding a conversation while both being busy talking/thinking about two totally different things with Becky being all boys and romance and Anya all spies and world saving and yet their conversation still sort of makes sense! XD
Damian is just falling harder and harder for Anya though, poor Tsundere boy will not survive his first love at this rate. <3 <3 <3
Hope next chapter is about family time again, as much as I adore and love the school chapters with Anya, i want to see more Twilight x Yoru as well. <3

Hell's Paradies: Jigokuraku: I should read this one, shouldn't I?
 
Last edited:

haijihusbando

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2020
Messages
175
Reaction score
572
Country
South Korea
Moriking as ever is my weekly dose of wholesome pureness. Love the main trio to bits.

It seems Mashle is truly headed towards a battle-oriented narrative sprinkled with gag after all, which I'm happy about. Really happy to see this series succeed early on and I hope this becomes a mainstay pillar of Jump in the future along with its best friend Undead Unluck.

TPGW had a better chapter than last week's and I thought this was an ok resolution to the issue. Again, Akaishi and Aino are my favourite pair in the manga so far, I really hope Akaishi doesn't get sidelined into a background character in the future because I love him already. Regarding the MC, I think Sasaki had a rough start on first impressions, but following the developments of this chapter I do have hopes for his personality to improve in the future.

Shout out to Spy x Family, it was my absolute favourite chapter this week and one of my favourites in the series so far. Anya and Damian moments always make me ecstatic, but this chapter in particular invoked a primitive screech in me at the sight of Damian blushing. This is the most I've ever shipped two characters before, Yoru and Loid better step up their game soon. This manga really never fails to entertain and make me laugh.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I gotta say, Undead Unluck has the best worldbuilding of any series I've read since Toriko.

This week's chapter may just be my favorite so far. Really good week in general.
It is really good world-building. Kinda hard to believe that UU is Tozuka's first series. You can see when he decided to stop the world building information given to the reader to do something else to catch attention then give us the next WB bit of information, new stop new development, next revelation of WB, solution to problem and end of WB of the newly introduced information to the setting with a new goal for our heroes. That's good because it is both relevant but entertaining as well. He could have done the same thing as in jjK today, having the most important info shown in three panels and the readers would get it nonetheless instead of risking confusion by having the world building explained bits by bits over several pages yet he made it work pretty damn well like a pro.

Agreed, I will have a hard time choosing my top5s and which series get what position, guess lots of series will get 1 point from my 5 1 point ranking this time.

Ayakashi had some pretty great panelling and art overall but that's about. I'm not sure about that twist, I have to wait more chapters to see where this goes but art aside the rest was basic. Agravity was pretty weak this week, there were barely any jokes, if any. I don't know why Guardian of the Witch started another point when it is going to end real quick but I guess Sakano just wanted to do what he felt like. Undead had a really creative character, Tozuka has applied his ideas pretty well, but also I feel like things go by way too fast and if the series does manage to survive, it won't have a long run.
About UU I am not so sure if what we readers perceive as "ending" is seen by Tozuka as the "actual beginning". You know, like in One Piece where all the adventurers before the real adventurer were also really important to flesh out the world, the characters, the powers and power system, relationships, goals and so on yet the real adventure only began when Luffy and Crew finally reached the Grand Line where we got a whooooooooooooooole lot of new characters, locations, powers and so on. And I think same thing might happen here with UU, the number given to us this chapter just doesn't sound "world-breaking" to me yet, I think there is more to it then we can see yet with the limited information both we and the characters in the series have. They are also mostly acting on assumptions after all. I don't think Tozuka wrote UU to be a less than 100 chapters series so we might be in for a ride when the thing they said they feared to happen in this chapter actually happens.^^
 

lazybones1717

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2018
Messages
281
Reaction score
1,404
Age
34
Country
United States
As expected, The Promised Neverland has started trending on Japanese Twitter:

約束のネバーランド - The Promised Neverland
約ネバ完結 - Neverland Complete

Ayakashi Triangle too (at least the fact that Yabuki is back in Jump):

矢吹先生 - Yabuki
約ネバ完結 (Neverland Complete) is officially trending at #1 in Japan right now. 約ネバ完結 (The Promised Neverland) is at 13.

矢吹先生 (Yabuki) is at 8.

Also, 相澤先生 (Aizawa) is trending at 14, lol.

EDIT: 約ネバ完結 went back down to 2. That was short-lived (it was there for a while though, I only noticed it by the end)!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top