Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,474
Reaction score
39,401
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
Magu-chan has the potential to be the best Shonen Jump manga in this year 2020 and the best newcomer since Chainsawman. The two first chapters have been really good and is having the best reaction in people since the Chainsawman times.
It's too early to say that. I used to think the same thing about the Last Saiyuki but that manga got cancelled
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Magu-chan has the potential to be the best Shonen Jump manga in this year 2020 and the best newcomer since Chainsawman. The two first chapters have been really good and is having the best reaction in people since the Chainsawman times.
If we’re talking best reactions purely based on the 1st chapter, TPGW by far had the biggest response in 2020. I don’t even see anyone talking about Magu-Chan outside of this forum
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
New poll is up.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
The new poll is a bit of a tricky question for me since I used to actively follow before putting it on hold like a year ago lol Tho I do have intention to get back to it one of this days
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The new poll is a bit of a tricky question for me since I used to actively follow before putting it on hold like a year ago lol Tho I do have intention to get back to it one of this days
Vote yes, then.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
The polls should have more options than yes or no. Maybe yes, no (dropped), on hold & plan to read.

Edit: You can probably branch out on hold as positive & negative, leaving a total of 5 options.
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
My Hero Academia is a curious case. Probably the Jump manga that I've heard the most about people dropping it, and at the same time one of the Jump manga with most positive opinions.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Aside from reading the first few chapters, I was an anime only. I kinda liked season 1 and found season 2 to be enjoyable. Season 3 was such a disappointment for me and I didn't care for season 4. I had a slight interest after seeing what's going on in the manga lately tbh but not nearly enough to draw me back in so the series is placed as dropped for me.
 

Gilroygladbouy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 20, 2019
Messages
48
Reaction score
70
Age
31
Country
Canada
I am surprised to why many people dropped it. In my opinion it’s the best battle shonen that jump has right now that isn’t One Piece. With the arc that’s happening right now I believe it’s truly beginning to cement its legacy as a legendary battle shonen.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
My Hero Academia is a curious case. Probably the Jump manga that I've heard the most about people dropping it, and at the same time one of the Jump manga with most positive opinions.
I think that just proves that My Hero Academia is just really goddamn popular. I always noticed that on this forum, a lot of the more vocal people talk about how they don’t really like it anymore or how they’ve dropped it... but then you check Reborn’s polls and it near-consistently places in the top 5. There’s still a lot of people who love the series, even if they don’t talk about it as much.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Here’s the Horikoshi (Holy Grail) interview with Kishimoto from 5 years ago:


Man, I’ll never stop being so damn proud how far Horikoshi’s come. Kishimoto’s prediction obviously came true after all.
 

Midak

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
202
Reaction score
253
Age
33
Country
Italy
I am surprised to why many people dropped it. In my opinion it’s the best battle shonen that jump has right now that isn’t One Piece. With the arc that’s happening right now I believe it’s truly beginning to cement its legacy as a legendary battle shonen.
I still follow it on mangaplus, but I personally lost interest a long time ago.
The art is always nice. My main problems are the lack of character development, which is very rare for the main characters, and the monothematic settings. The cast is very large, which is good, but at the same time I feel that apart from Deku and maybe Bakugo, the other classmates are gradually fading into the story background, which is a pity since the title is "MHA".

I respect your opinion and MHA success though. I liked the author's style since his Zoo-related manga, although I believe there are better shonen manga out there. Unless we count DS as a battle manga, I still believe it is the second-best in the magazine right now.
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
My Hero Academia is a curious case. Probably the Jump manga that I've heard the most about people dropping it, and at the same time one of the Jump manga with most positive opinions.
That’s probably because people hype it up to such an extreme standard that once they read it doesn’t reach there expectations so they drop it. As of now mha is 3rd favorite currently running jump series only after CSM and JJK but personally for me the season 1-3 portion was just ok to me. The pacing was way to slow for me, there was only a handful of good fights in the manga version, and the non action focus arcs (especially in season 1) were mediocre at best.Really the only reasons why I was reading was it’s popularity, amazing art, and well written hero characters (and stain).

The season 4 portion is where it got good but it still had some of the mentioned issues. The endeavor arc definitely is where it has gotten great but then it went back to being just ok during the joint training arc. However the liberation army arc and after is when it became one of my favorite series where there isn’t really a dull moment and slow moments are done better, the fights still having some issues has become much more intense and exciting, the league of villains are developed into being actually intimidating, multi dimensional, and believable.

While I feel that the manga gets way more hate than it deserves, when people constantly hype it up as the best shonen out and some even go as far as to say it is a deconstruction of shonen tropes I think when they look at season 1 and don’t find what they are looking for people will stop wanting to watch/read it and call it overhyped.
 

Lord fifth

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
176
Reaction score
197
Age
27
Country
Israel
I still follow it on mangaplus, but I personally lost interest a long time ago.
The art is always nice. My main problems are the lack of character development, which is very rare for the main characters, and the monothematic settings. The cast is very large, which is good, but at the same time I feel that apart from Deku and maybe Bakugo, the other classmates are gradually fading into the story background, which is a pity since the title is "MHA".

I respect your opinion and MHA success though. I liked the author's style since his Zoo-related manga, although I believe there are better shonen manga out there. Unless we count DS as a battle manga, I still believe it is the second-best in the magazine right now.
Depends on what you mean by charecter development.
If you mean charecters changing then that's charecter progression.
Charecter development is establishing a charecter and fleshing it out.

Also charecters don't need to change in order to be compelling
That’s probably because people hype it up to such an extreme standard that once they read it doesn’t reach there expectations so they drop it. As of now mha is 3rd favorite currently running jump series only after CSM and JJK but personally for me the season 1-3 portion was just ok to me. The pacing was way to slow for me, there was only a handful of good fights in the manga version, and the non action focus arcs (especially in season 1) were mediocre at best.Really the only reasons why I was reading was it’s popularity, amazing art, and well written hero characters (and stain).

The season 4 portion is where it got good but it still had some of the mentioned issues. The endeavor arc definitely is where it has gotten great but then it went back to being just ok during the joint training arc. However the liberation army arc and after is when it became one of my favorite series where there isn’t really a dull moment and slow moments are done better, the fights still having some issues has become much more intense and exciting, the league of villains are developed into being actually intimidating, multi dimensional, and believable.

While I feel that the manga gets way more hate than it deserves, when people constantly hype it up as the best shonen out and some even go as far as to say it is a deconstruction of shonen tropes I think when they look at season 1 and don’t find what they are looking for people will stop wanting to watch/read it and call it overhyped.
Hype usually will make the expectations sky rocket which isn't good for any series.


I think that mha would be better binge read like one piece, but without all the hype,hyping the manga in both cases usually leads to dissapontement that's why I usually recommend - that if you heard good things about a manga- reading the first 50-100 chapters then deciding if you drop the series or not and not listen to the Hype.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
That’s probably because people hype it up to such an extreme standard that once they read it doesn’t reach there expectations so they drop it. As of now mha is 3rd favorite currently running jump series only after CSM and JJK but personally for me the season 1-3 portion was just ok to me. The pacing was way to slow for me, there was only a handful of good fights in the manga version, and the non action focus arcs (especially in season 1) were mediocre at best.Really the only reasons why I was reading was it’s popularity, amazing art, and well written hero characters (and stain).

The season 4 portion is where it got good but it still had some of the mentioned issues. The endeavor arc definitely is where it has gotten great but then it went back to being just ok during the joint training arc. However the liberation army arc and after is when it became one of my favorite series where there isn’t really a dull moment and slow moments are done better, the fights still having some issues has become much more intense and exciting, the league of villains are developed into being actually intimidating, multi dimensional, and believable.

While I feel that the manga gets way more hate than it deserves, when people constantly hype it up as the best shonen out and some even go as far as to say it is a deconstruction of shonen tropes I think when they look at season 1 and don’t find what they are looking for people will stop wanting to watch/read it and call it overhyped.
I know this sounds crazy guys...but what if...what if...the people that dropped MHA did so because they simply didn't like it?
 

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
when people constantly hype it up as the best shonen out and some even go as far as to say it is a deconstruction of shonen
That pretty much sums up any fan base that want to hype up their favorite series "this manga is amazing it's a deconstruction of____"
 
Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I know this sounds crazy guys...but what if...what if...the people that dropped MHA did so because they simply didn't like it?
I think it's this. MHA probably just feels more amplified since it's so popular more people are going to get into it. There more people that watch/read something the more people that dislike it will discover they dislike and voice that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top