Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,472
Reaction score
39,391
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Yeah, it’s just really popular. There’s probably a lot of people who don’t like Naruto or One Piece or Bleach or Attack on Titan or Demon Slayer. Those are all massively popular shows as well. That’s just how it is. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has their own opinion.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
My Hero Academia is a curious case. Probably the Jump manga that I've heard the most about people dropping it, and at the same time one of the Jump manga with most positive opinions.
Isn't that explaining itself though? People who dislike it, drop it, thus no more negative opinions from them as they no longer care about reading it. People who like it, keep reading it and post positive opinions about it so in conclusion you get "most positive opinions".
As for myself, I like the art, I like the theme, I like the story been told. I do not like the main characters, the massive cast of 2k characters which pushes many characters you'd expect to be relevant into a background character to one or two appearances in 50 chapters and I don't like the idea of "child soldiers" which those "hero students" basically are and shouldn't be. I know in this Universe everyone dreams about being a hero but I miss seeing Parents put the LIFE of their children above their POWERS. Like if I was a Dad, I would not give a shit about heroes nor would I encourage my children to become heroes. Like All Might himself said "if you want to fight for justice join the police, become a fireman or a doctor, there are lots of ways to fight for justice". If my Child was in a hero school attacked by murderous villains and students nearly got killed during it I would pull it out, no matter the protest. I miss seeing "normal people" as something else but admirers of heroes who need to be rescued over and over agin. It just focus so much on Hero vs Villain that everything else just feels as a background prop for those fights, kinda like in the old Superhero movies with mass destructions when Superman fought some Supervillain and as a kid you enjoy it as an adult you ask yourself who the hell pays for that rebuilding and wasn't there a person in that thrown car? So I like it, but to me it misses some spots I'd like to see scratched.^^
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
I know this sounds crazy guys...but what if...what if...the people that dropped MHA did so because they simply didn't like it?
That was basically the point of what I was saying.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
3,120
Age
24
Country
United States
Hey I got a question, Has there ever been a case of manga from another mag or place moving INTO jump?
 

Midak

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
202
Reaction score
253
Age
33
Country
Italy
Depends on what you mean by charecter development.
If you mean charecters changing then that's charecter progression.
Charecter development is establishing a charecter and fleshing it out.

Also charecters don't need to change in order to be compelling
I meant both. We have a ton of classmates who were shown in the early arcs and haven't been relevant in a while, unfortunately.
If you want to compare it with another battle manga, it is kind of similar to what happened in Naruto, where the young characters from the chunin exam era gradually became background characters in the second part.
It is not easy fro the author, since you want to show how strong the main character has become compared to the others.
It is normal for a final arc, but from what I understand this should not be the finale for MHA.

No, if it is a background character. However, in battle manga, the characters go through journeys to improve themselves under many aspects, learning from their mistakes. Such characters tend to be more memorable than the others (e.g. Midora in Toriko).
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
I started reading Bnha after the first season ended, it was around chapter 70/80 I think. But all my hype went down during the Overhaul arc, then went high with Endeavours arc but then again with Class a vs Class b, that aside of the 7 quirks, Momo's performance was terrible and disappointing. I decided to drop it, then I picked it up again with Villian arc and I'm still reading it.

One of the aspects I dislike the most, is Bakugou, I dunno, that image of him from the first chapters as a bully, kinda stickied to me. I know the guy has improved, but that image won't be forgotten that easily, at least for me.

The other one is the bunch of characters. I know these will be developed in the future, but it will take only a few chapters to shine and then dissappear. Do you know a fellow called Iida? I forgot.

Of course it has his negative/positive aspects and I cheer the positives ones like the art, development of some characters and the comedy.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
And one of these days, Luffy will stop being there as well :eek::o
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Looking at those covers, makes me wonder if someday it will get a female protagonist being the face of the magazine like Luffy or Goku.
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
That’s probably because people hype it up to such an extreme standard that once they read it doesn’t reach there expectations so they drop it. As of now mha is 3rd favorite currently running jump series only after CSM and JJK but personally for me the season 1-3 portion was just ok to me. The pacing was way to slow for me, there was only a handful of good fights in the manga version, and the non action focus arcs (especially in season 1) were mediocre at best.Really the only reasons why I was reading was it’s popularity, amazing art, and well written hero characters (and stain).

The season 4 portion is where it got good but it still had some of the mentioned issues. The endeavor arc definitely is where it has gotten great but then it went back to being just ok during the joint training arc. However the liberation army arc and after is when it became one of my favorite series where there isn’t really a dull moment and slow moments are done better, the fights still having some issues has become much more intense and exciting, the league of villains are developed into being actually intimidating, multi dimensional, and believable.

While I feel that the manga gets way more hate than it deserves, when people constantly hype it up as the best shonen out and some even go as far as to say it is a deconstruction of shonen tropes I think when they look at season 1 and don’t find what they are looking for people will stop wanting to watch/read it and call it overhyped.
I mean, personally, I always thought MHA was among the faster paced battle shounen, especially in the beginning. During the Overhaul arc, the pacing got a lot slower than before. But the length of the arc and all the build up drained out Horikoshi, so he went back to the pacing he had previously.

So it sounds kinda strange to me that you thought the beginning was slow and then started to enjoy it when the pacing was slowing down even further. Comparing it to other battle shounen though, I really don't think the beginning was that slow. I mean Naruto took over 30 chapters just for the first major arc iirc.
 
Last edited:

Lord fifth

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
176
Reaction score
197
Age
27
Country
Israel
Looking at those covers, makes me wonder if someday it will get a female protagonist being the face of the magazine like Luffy or Goku.
Maybe if there are no other major male portaginst, people forget but this is shounen jump and that it's main demographic is young boys,so unless there are no major manga with male portaginst a female portaginst won't be the face of the magazine.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Maybe if there are no other major male portaginst, people forget but this is shounen jump and that it's main demographic is young boys,so unless there are no major manga with male portaginst a female portaginst won't be the face of the magazine.
I think it just depends on sales. They seemed to have no problem placing Emma as a pillar. Obviously until One Piece ends I doubt anything will replace it as the face but if the most successful series in the magazine happens to have a female protagonist I don't think they'd avoid using them as the face just because it's a boy's magazine.
 

wothab

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
267
Age
32
Country
Brazil
I find it unironically fascinanting that MHA always have this divisiness about it, I am also on the side that believe that the hate on MHA is due to it being hyped a lot when it was on its initial stages, that quite infamous (now used as a joke by MHA detractors) fanart about naruto passing the baton to deku while luffy says goodbye is very iconical of the initial hype it had going on
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont know theres plenty for people to dislike about HeroAca
-Deku is a pretty bland lead
-Bakugo is always divisve (people with a bullied past seem to never get past this aspect of his character, others love him to death since hes deep(tm) and complex (tm)
-Superheroes are overdone and lame
-Bad/Hard to Follow artwork
-Lame villains (Shigaraki has people that hate him and dont care for his plots)
-Female characters have a muted role in the story

Even if the series were only a fifth of as popular as it is now, I doubt it would be any less divisive.
 

Azure Warrior

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
367
Reaction score
315
Age
32
Country
United States
A female lead being the face of Jump is unlikely IMO.

Emma is one of the lucky ones being treated like a big face. Others like Medaka or any Jump romcom lead isn’t so lucky.
 

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
I think it just depends on sales. They seemed to have no problem placing Emma as a pillar. Obviously until One Piece ends I doubt anything will replace it as the face but if the most successful series in the magazine happens to have a female protagonist I don't think they'd avoid using them as the face just because it's a boy's magazine.
Talking about female protagonist it was mentioned before but it is interesting the increase of manga with female MCs compared to Shonen Jump in the past. Having a female lead being the face of Shonen Jump is not impossible anything can happen
 
Last edited:

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Lmao, asking for female lead when there is still no female editor.
You guys do realize that WSJ is hella backward, right?
Someone posts that page from "how to make jump manga", please. You know which page I am talking about.
 

rg24

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2019
Messages
70
Reaction score
72
Age
33
Country
Argentina
I dont know theres plenty for people to dislike about HeroAca
-Deku is a pretty bland lead
-Bakugo is always divisve (people with a bullied past seem to never get past this aspect of his character, others love him to death since hes deep(tm) and complex (tm)
-Superheroes are overdone and lame
-Bad/Hard to Follow artwork
-Lame villains (Shigaraki has people that hate him and dont care for his plots)
-Female characters have a muted role in the story

Even if the series were only a fifth of as popular as it is now, I doubt it would be any less divisive.
You can resume it in pretty much "characters ploblems". The setup of the series is make in a way that is just bad to how Horikoshi write characters. They are presented in groups of lot of characters (classes, teachers, villains, etc) but Horikoshi take a lot of time and story ta make the characters good so when you have that much characters and presented all at the same time most of them will get under the radar. Later they see it and that is way some arcs are with lees characters going to somewhere to do something different that the entire class but while it make that characters shine also make more obvious how the rest are just forget.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
A female lead being the face of Jump is unlikely IMO.

Emma is one of the lucky ones being treated like a big face. Others like Medaka or any Jump romcom lead isn’t so lucky.
did any of them sell enough to be considered a "pillar" or "face of"? I have no idea what Medaka sold but none of the rom-coms are even close.
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
did any of them sell enough to be considered a "pillar" or "face of"? I have no idea what Medaka sold but none of the rom-coms are even close.

I”s has sold 10,000,000 across 15 volumes, VGA sold 13,000,000 across 14 volumes, and orange road sold 20,000,000 across 18 volumes. It is even said that some of VGA volumes had sold 1 million copies the first edition. While these are not system seller sales these can definitely be considered pillars. Medaka box sold 5 million copies by 2013 (don’t know the current sales) across 22 volumes which is around 227,000 copies per volume for the time is mid tier jump sales.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top