Those 400$ were bonus payments on top of unemployment money, right? Guaranteeing food and living expenses sounds good but would probably be an insurmountable administrative endeavor. How much food is "adequate" food? Same with living expenses. Easier said than done, and done efficiently and in a timely manner is even less probable given how gigantic the US is and how absolutely divided it is.I feel like at least for US, the government will lie and say it doesn't have enough money while giving billions or trillions of dollars to the weapons industry and corporations.
I know in some states, the $400 per week that Trump said would happen went down to $300 as $400 is too much, like California for example. At the very least, the government should postpone rent and guarantee food and living expenses for almost everyone without a job or income. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but it might also be cheaper to supplement minimum wages to $15 to motivate people to go back to work, as it's cheaper to pay $3/hr difference than it is to pay $400 per week.
Not sure the 15$ minimum wage thing would change that much. Not sure many people need extra monetary motivation to go to work. More of a supply issue than a demand-side issue. This is not your common economic crisis where some fuck ups on wall street commandeered the world economy into the ground. Given the sometimes very strict restrictions on certain industries, you will have a ridiculously high amount of unemployed people by sheer choice of closing those industries.