Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1497 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

redon

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Train reach 6.89 billion ¥ in 7 days and surpass the 6.87 billion ¥ that One Piece Film Z did in all its life in cinemas in Japan. Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Train is now the highest-grossing Jump Anime film in Japan.

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Bokura no Ketsumei with increased pages again for being "popular" hehehe

Tbh, the perspective of the series being popular isn't something that surprising to me, ironically it's been giving me the vibe after reading so many divisive comments towards the series on Twitter in the last weeks, it's kinda like early Black Clover, where there was so many divisive and even hate towards the series but people couldn't stop talking about it, ofc it can be just the typical editor "it's popular" bs and the series be a major flop, but i have the "underdog" vibe towards this series, like, it will be divisive for a time but it will have a loyal fanbase, but let's see next week
I think Its the latter, no way someone can enjoy this bs

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Prediction updating about the remaining 2020 Jump issues:

Issue 48: Dr.Stone (confirmed)
Issue 49: My Hero Academia (MHA and Black Clover are the only two important manga of the roster that haven't had any cover on issues 40-48. I'm not counting WNL anymore. I'd say MHA has more chances than Black Clover, but who knows).
Issue 50: New serialization round manga 1 (getting the free spot that was being used by the GFC contenders)
Issue 51: New serialization round manga 2 (Moriking axed on issue 50)
Issue 52: New serialization round manga 3 (Agravity Boys axed on issue 51)

A new serialization round would be happening after the double issues (getting WNL spot and an axe that maybe could be Shark and Dolphin).

Also, adventuring a little futher, One Piece is so going to get a cover soon in issue 7? because chapter 1000. And maybe MHA can get a cover (or at least cp) too because chapter 300.

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States

Issue 49: My Hero Academia (MHA and Black Clover are the only two important manga of the roster that haven't had any cover on issues 40-48. I'm not counting WNL anymore. I'd say MHA has more chances than Black Clover, but who knows).
Issue 50: New serialization round manga 1 (getting the free spot that was being used by the GFC contenders)

A new serialization round would be happening after the double issues (getting WNL spot and an axe that maybe could be Shark and Dolphin).

Also, adventuring a little futher, One Piece is so going to get a cover soon in issue 7? because chapter 1000. And maybe MHA can get a cover (or at least cp) too because chapter 300.
I think the next serialization round is starting on issue 52 or issue 1

Archaon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Okay. This is odd. This is really odd. Only 130,000 votes. When was the poll taken, I feel like a lot more would've voted on that.
The poll ended around March. I assume that most people who bought WSJ don't actually participate in the roll.

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
On the topic of extra pages and colour pages, it looks like they've recently been going to series which don't end up/already aren't doing so well in the rankings or with sales. It feels like the younger series getting these bonuses might be less of a sign of their popularity and more of a favourable attempt to boost their standing in the magazine before it's too late. Now that there are fewer veterans and successes in the magazine it feels like more series are given that extra colour page early in their run they might not have gotten a few years ago.

As for the TOC, looks like the latest arc in Yozakura Family did the series great favours. I still think the series is bad but congrats to its fans after months of living near the bottom of the TOC. Me & Roboco back at 6th place feels correct, as does it finally getting a colour page. Moriking is absolutely going to be the next axed, but it'll be interesting to see which of the the rest near the bottom will join it (Magu-chan, Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin, or Agravity Boys) - either way I wouldn't be shocked if all of the bottom five this week are gone within a couple of months.

Such a shame that Jujutsu Kaisen Lead Colour page is so... ugly.

I pretty much agree with your timeline (with a possibility that they could do one massive serialisation round that starts around #50 and ends with #2 when WNL finishes), however if Magu-chan manages to survive two cancellations rounds so quickly that'll be very lucky.

Last edited:

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
For once Kimetsu no Yaiba didn't break a record. The top 3 of Dragon Ball's popularity poll account for almost the entirety of Kimetsu no Yaiba's poll (129,804 votes for Gohan, Goku and Trunks vs. 130,
I'm really not one to defend KnY but.. I mean even if technically it didn't break the record you mention (I assume DB is the record holder?) Dragon Ball got those crazy numbers back in 1993 Issue 12 of WSJ with a circulation of 6,380,000 against 2020's which I assume is around 1'600,000 (Basing myself on the info on wikipedia) which is almost 400% less issues of Jump..

That also means the turnout was way higher, almost 10% of the people that bought that issue of Jump voted in the KnY poll while "only" around 3.15% voted for Dragon Ball.

So.. basically accounting for "inflation" those 130,316 votes would have been around 520,000 votes if Jump had the same circulation using the rule of 3.. But of course that's not really how things work, but yeah.

Also as a bystander I had always assumed the MC's sister would have polled top 5 or something but it seems like she didn't..? Like please don't spoil but I had assumed she was fairly popular.. I mean it's weird because I have been thinking reasons why KnY got so damn popular (As in things that made it stood out from any other generic battle shonen manga) and one of the only reasons I could think of was the siblings relationship which isn't that common (Most manga have love interests so in a sense a brother & sister relationship is kinda refreshing,, when you think about it other series that blew up like FMA and Blue Exorcist had a sibling relationship albeit with both siblings being brothers)..
So yeah just a weird thought I had, I thought that girl with the muzzle would have been more popular... I guess I will never find a pattern for the popularity of KnY lol.

Edit: Now that I see the art for the poll thanks to @Ryuusei I see the sister was 11th place.. Also I would have thought another character I kept seeing pop up, a Swine mask guy would have placed top 10 haha..

Last edited:

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Obviously if they had done the poll right after the movie, the list would look different lol. I'm happy best boy (Giyuu) is in the 2nd place. Tokitou didn't surprise me since he had a major following after his arc as well as Shinobu.

Since this poll was made during the final arc and Nezuko was almost absent, that influenced a lot. Although you'd think the anime would have helped but dunno what happened. Still, she's kinda the face of the series from what I have seen in Japanese media.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yozakura top 3!? This might actually start to get pushed a bit now. Good spots for Mashle, Roboco and Undead too. Magu-chan not being in the bottom 3 I'll also chalk up as a small victory lol. Hopefully it'll live and start to rank better.

With Roboco getting a CP next issue, that would mean that all 4 new series from that round would've gotten at least 1 CP before the infamous chapter 19. When was the last time that every series in a serialization round got a CP before one ended, let alone so quickly?

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm really not one to defend KnY but.. I mean even if technically it didn't break the record you mention (I assume DB is the record holder?) Dragon Ball got those crazy numbers back in 1993 Issue 12 of WSJ with a circulation of 6,380,000 against 2020's which I assume is around 1'600,000 (Basing myself on the info on wikipedia) which is almost 400% less issues of Jump..

That also means the turnout was way higher, almost 10% of the people that bought that issue of Jump voted in the KnY poll while "only" around 3.15% voted for Dragon Ball.

So.. basically accounting for "inflation" those 130,316 votes would have been around 520,000 votes if Jump had the same circulation using the rule of 3.. But of course that's not really how things work, but yeah.

Also as a bystander I had always assumed the MC's sister would have polled top 5 or something but it seems like she didn't..? Like please don't spoil but I had assumed she was fairly popular.. I mean it's weird because I have been thinking reasons why KnY got so damn popular (As in things that made it stood out from any other generic battle shonen manga) and one of the only reasons I could think of was the siblings relationship which isn't that common (Most manga have love interests so in a sense a brother & sister relationship is kinda refreshing,, when you think about it other series that blew up like FMA and Blue Exorcist had a sibling relationship albeit with both siblings being brothers)..
So yeah just a weird thought I had, I thought that girl with the muzzle would have been more popular... I guess I will never find a pattern for the popularity of KnY lol.
The thing is though Dragon Ball's second popularity poll, which happened only two years later than the first one and while Jump still had 6million+ in circulation, had way less votes when compared to the first one. The top 3 in the second one was Goku with 10,492 votes, Vegeta with 7,019 votes and Trunks with 6,537 votes. It's not really a matter of circulation but probably how passionate people were about it.

As for Nezuko, she does like two things in the entire story so she ended up being more of a meme than a character people actually enjoyed.

Ebrietas-

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Also I would have thought another character I kept seeing pop up, a Swine mask guy would have placed top 10 haha..
Inosuke is 6th place. He is unmasked in the image

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Also we got no Krone in the popularity poll. A shame that the old meme died out

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
The thing is though Dragon Ball's second popularity poll, which happened only two years later than the first one and while Jump still had 6million+ in circulation, had way less votes when compared to the first one. The top 3 in the second one was Goku with 10,492 votes, Vegeta with 7,019 votes and Trunks with 6,537 votes. It's not really a matter of circulation but probably how passionate people were about it.

As for Nezuko, she does like two things in the entire story so she ended up being more of a meme than a character people actually enjoyed.
Yeah, as an anime only watcher, Nezuko never really felt like a real character to me, personally. She kicks ass here and there, which is cool, but most of the time she’s just there to be cute. Which really takes away from the impact of some scenes.

Teennitro

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Compare to other wsj popularity polls this is rare for a character type like Zenitsu to take first place majority of the time it's the rival/cool character or the main character

Status
Not open for further replies.