Shounen - Sousou no Frieren | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Sousou no Frieren

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Hello and welcome to the Manga Club!

Presentation and General Rules
This is a collective read spot where we'll be periodically selecting series to be shared. We aim to have people introducing their favorite hidden gems to the community - series we hardly or never heard about and that really deserve some love and attention. So here's the Manga Club format:
  • Any member can join the club! Just post here saying you wanna be a part of it. The moment you do it, you'll be added to the current rotation. You can participate the reading and the discussions even if you don't join the suggestions part. You are also allowed to suggest manhuas and manhwas, completed series and oneshots.
  • The series rotation format follows these phases: suggesting, selecting, reading and sharing (explained in the section bellow).
  • Avoid suggesting series that already have a dedicated discussion thread, we don't wanna shift the focus from it. In case someone suggests one of those, we'll debate if it will be included as an option for the Manga Club or if the person will be requested to suggest something else.
  • The first volume of the selected series will be recommended for the reading cycle. Anyone is free to read further, but spoiler tags will be mandatory in the discussion/review thread in case events that only happen past that initial one volume are to be mentioned.

Rotations and Current Calendar
The rotations are monthly and the dates for each phase will be added to this thread once a round starts. Every start of the month, this thread will be updated to follow the calendar bellow:
  • 1st week - suggesting: during this time, every member of the club has to suggest one series for the pool. If the member suggested a series in the previous month that wasn't selected for the reading, he can chose to resuggest the series or to provide a new one.
  • 2nd week - selecting: once the pool is formed with the suggestions from all club members, in the first day of the second week, a poll will be added to this thread. To help people selecting the series to be read, details about each of them will be add and pinned here in this thread.
  • 3rd and 4th weeks - reading and sharing: the members have these two weeks to read and discuss the series. People can do so in their own pace, within this time, and start sharing their thoughts about the series whenever. Spoiler tags are mandatory before the third week ends, though.

#02 Manga Club Rotation Calendar

• Suggesting Phase: from Nov 1st to Nov 7th.
  • Selecting Phase: from Nov 8th to Nov 14th.
  • Reading and Sharing Phase: from Nov 15th to Nov 30th.

Participants and Suggestions
  • Cats are Facing West (by Ustegius)
  • The Way of the House Husband (by revo)
  • Tenohira Size (by Erinyes)
  • Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective (by Zirconium)
  • Sousou no Frieren (by Farfalla)
  • Ichigeki (by Ramen)
  • Amaama to Inazuma (by MarmaladeSky)
  • I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year (by Farfalla)
  • Insomniacs After School (by Erinyes)
  • Ichigeki (by Ramen)
  • Our Dreams at Dusk (by MarmaladeSky)
  • Yozakura Quartet (by Sky)
  • May I Ask for One Final Thing (by Juviii)
  • The Gods Lie (by revo)
  • They were Eleven (by Faust)
  • Hotel: since 2079 (by Hardy)
  • Yankee-kun to hakujou Gaaru (by Tatsumaki)
  • Knights of Sidonia (by Copy Panda)
  • Cats are Facing West (by Ustegius)

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu

Asako

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
when you forget to read it

ehhhhh
I'm going to read binge it really quickly after movie time
i can still talk about the series right lala :feelsbadman
i mean we have october ones to read so who going to suggest
*see 10 suggestions coming later*

i was busy reading AoT manga theories ok

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I totally forgot to read this.

But I'll nominate Cats are Facing West again and try to do better next round :cookiehand

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Gonna suggest a comedy/slice of life, The Way of the House Husband.
"Immortal Tatsu," the legendary yakuza who single-handedly defeated a rival gang with a lead pipe, is a name known to strike fear in both hardened police officers and vicious criminals. Soon after his sudden disappearance, he resurfaces with a slight change in profession. Now equipped with an apron, Tatsu has given up violence and is trying to make an honest living as a house husband.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Nice pick rev-chan :zomg , im reading this and its a lot funny, enjoying it a lot, chapters are shorts, so its easy to catch.

I hesitated a lot wanted to suggest Hikari to tomo a nice manga about autism or Kasane, but will go eventually for something very short. It is a one volume manga, its very touching.

Going for Tenohira Size

Synopsis :
The Onishi family doesn’t have a father anymore. They don’t have much money. They don’t even have a shower. Tenohira Size presents eight stories of a mother and her three children’s day-to-day lives in the aftermath of divorce. (mangadex)
I really enjoyed it its sad at some moments, but heartwarming too, its about a poor family dealing with everyday life, the mother struggles with 2 jobs to raise her family, shes really a strong woman, situations are realistic. Charcaters are interesting, especially the middle school daughter (i admit when i read chapter 5, i got a strange chemical reaction, some water started to leak from my eyes, human body is so strange :arf )

Asami, this girl is incredible !

Akari, her mom.

Excerpt i posted once elsewhere.

Zirconium

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The Way of the House Husband.
Lol, not too long ago I coincidentally stumbled upon its anime announcement on MAL. The summary sounded pretty funny, so I decided to put it on my watch list. xD

My recommendation is Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective. It‘s still a relatively new manga though with only 4 chapters out so far. What immediately piqued my interest was the mangaka Akira Amano who was also the creator of Katekyo Hitman Reborn, which was kinda the main reason why I decided to give it a try.
A thrilling detective story about an unusual duo that brings the hidden truth into the light! Ron Kamonohashi, a private investigator with serious issues, and Totomaru Ishiki, a pure-hearted but dim police detective, team up to solve the most baffling mysteries! [Mangaplus]

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Way of the Househusband is brilliant. 6/5. Not gonna vote for it though, I'm up to date already and I'm in this to find new stuff.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Just checked and all the suggestions are eligible \o/
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ok, I'll suggest Sousou no Frieren (Frieren at the Funeral)!
Just found out about it... the art is simply gorgeous and I love fantasy mangas.

"After a ten-years long journey, a group of adventurers has managed to defeat the Demon King and has brought peace to the world. The group, consisting of the human hero Himmel, dwarven warrior Eisen, human priest Heiter, and elven mage Frieren, then return to the capital, where they are hailed as heroes.
Before they part ways, they watch the Era Meteors together, a meteor shower which only appears every fifty years, and Frieren promises to meet them again and show them a better view when the next shower appears. Frieren then departs and wanders the world to study magic.
Fifty years later, Frieren comes to the capital again, but unlike her, the world has changed and her former comrades have visibly aged. After one final adventure to see the meteor shower, Himmel passes away.
Regretting that she didn't spend more time with her friends, Frieren visits Heiter twenty years later. Heiter, who can feel his approaching death, has taken in a human girl, Fern. Before he dies, he leaves Fern in Frieren's care. Fern then becomes Frieren's apprentice, and together they wander the world to study magic and humanity."

Asako

Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
Sousou no Frieren a manga where you're going to probably tear up every single chapter that is out

At least that's how it was with me while reading it

So let me summary it in a few words

Imagine having a crush on someone but you don't even realise it, when you come back that person passes away after a final meeting, now your quest is understand your feelings about that person going through the remains of your time together

:scry

She doesn't even realise what she doing
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Lala you didn't give the trap summary I fallen in
So this was the summary in mangadex:

"Frieren is a member of the hero's party that defeated the demon king. Both a magician and an elf, those are the things that separates her from the other members. Being able to live longer than others, her feelings are..."

And the cover at the time was this

I basically went into it thinking it was a normal fantasy adventure with friends and fun stuff

Boi how wrong was I

Ramen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Of course I'll be rejoining :confetti

Sticking with Ichigeki as my choice

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Sousou no Frieren a manga where you're going to probably tear up every single chapter that is out

At least that's how it was with me while reading it

So let me summary it in a few words

Imagine having a crush on someone but you don't even realise it, when you come back that person passes away after a final meeting, now your quest is understand your feelings about that person going through the remains of your time together

:scry

She doesn't even realise what she doing

Lala you didn't give the trap summary I fallen in
So this was the summary in mangadex:

"Frieren is a member of the hero's party that defeated the demon king. Both a magician and an elf, those are the things that separates her from the other members. Being able to live longer than others, her feelings are..."

And the cover at the time was this

I basically went into it thinking it was a normal fantasy adventure with friends and fun stuff

Boi how wrong was I
Yeah at first I thought it was another isekai, but read some chapters cause of the art. Maybe I'm a masochist, to me it was a VERY pleasant surprise to see I was wrong XD Love those that hit in the feels.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I'm going to suggest Amaama to Inazuma this time

From MAL that uses MH as the source lmao:
"Inuzuka is a teacher who has been caring on his own for his little daughter, Tsumugi, since his wife's death. He's no good at cooking, so they've been eating packaged meals from the convenience store. A series of events lead him one evening to a restaurant run by the mother of one of his students, Kotori. Her mother isn't there, but Kotori does her best to feed them both. It turns out that Kotori is often alone, since her parents are divorced and her mother is frequently not around. The three of them begin to meet and cook tasty food together."

Wholesome? Check!!

Family life? Check!!
Cute kids? Check!!
Awesome food? Check!!

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Gonna set the seires cards and the poll, guys.
@Ustegius if you still wanna write a summary, I'll edit the card later.

1. Cats are Facing West

Cover
Suggested byUstegius
SummaryCats are Facing West follows the story of two “Flow” workers, Hirota and Chima, with a cat called Shachou. The time setting of the story is set in the modern era of today in a town that is seemingly experiencing an extended summer with the heat permeating the art and story for the majority of the chapters so far. Hirota’s place of business is located by the seaside and his office cum place of stay looks like an elevated traditional house with two floors. The genre of the story follows the theme of investigating the supernatural in an otherwise mundane/slice of life backdrop.
AuthorsUrushibara, Yuki (Story & Art)
GenresSupernatural, Seinen
Volumes/Chapters3/16
StatusPublishing
PublishedApr 25, 2018 to ?, on Afternoon (Kodansha)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2. The Way of the House Husband

Cover
Suggested byrevo
Summary"Immortal Tatsu," the legendary yakuza who single-handedly defeated a rival gang with a lead pipe, is a name known to strike fear in both hardened police officers and vicious criminals. Soon after his sudden disappearance, he resurfaces with a slight change in profession. Now equipped with an apron, Tatsu has given up violence and is trying to make an honest living as a house husband.
AuthorsOono, Kousuke (Story & Art)
GenresComedy, Romance, Slice of Life
Volumes/Chapters6/58
StatusPublishing
PublishedFeb 23, 2018 to ?, Kurage Bunch (Shinchosha)
3. Tenohira Size

Cover
Suggested byErinyes
SummaryThe Onishi family doesn’t have a father anymore. They don’t have much money. They don’t even have a shower. Tenohira Size presents eight stories of a mother and her three children’s day-to-day lives in the aftermath of divorce.
AuthorsTendou, Kirin (Story & Art)
GenresSlice of Life, Josei
Volumes/Chapters1/9
StatusFinished
PublishedDec 8, 2009 to Sep 8, 2010, Feel Young (Shodensha)
4. Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective

Cover
Suggested byZirconium
SummaryA thrilling detective story about an unusual duo that brings the hidden truth into the light! Ron Kamonohashi, a private investigator with serious issues, and Totomaru Ishiki, a pure-hearted but dim police detective, team up to solve the most baffling mysteries!
AuthorsAmano, Akira (Story & Art)
GenresMystery, Shounen, Police
Volumes/Chapters0/4
StatusPublishing
PublishedOct 11, 2020 to ?, Shounen Jump + (Shueisha)
5. Frieren at the Funeral

Cover
Suggested byFarfalla
SummaryAfter a ten-years long journey, a group of adventurers has managed to defeat the Demon King and has brought peace to the world. The group, consisting of the human hero Himmel, dwarven warrior Eisen, human priest Heiter, and elven mage Frieren, then return to the capital, where they are hailed as heroes.
Before they part ways, they watch the Era Meteors together, a meteor shower which only appears every fifty years, and Frieren promises to meet them again and show them a better view when the next shower appears. Frieren then departs and wanders the world to study magic.
Fifty years later, Frieren comes to the capital again, but unlike her, the world has changed and her former comrades have visibly aged. After one final adventure to see the meteor shower, Himmel passes away.
Regretting that she didn't spend more time with her friends, Frieren visits Heiter twenty years later. Heiter, who can feel his approaching death, has taken in a human girl, Fern. Before he dies, he leaves Fern in Frieren's care. Fern then becomes Frieren's apprentice, and together they wander the world to study magic and humanity.
AuthorsYamada, Kanehito (Story), Abe, Tsukasa (Art)
GenresAdventure, Fantasy, Magic, Shounen
Volumes/Chapters2/25
StatusPublishing
PublishedApr 28, 2020 to ?, Shuukan Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan)
6. Ichigeki

Cover
Suggested byRamen
SummaryA martial arts historical series about a peasant turned samurai and caught in the turmoil of the final year of the Edo Period (1868), in the first years of the Meiji Era.
The manga is based on Nagai's novel Bakumatsu Ichigeki Hissatsutai (Bakumatsu One-Hit Kill Team). The story centers on Ushigorō, a farmer with a small body and sharp mind, who joins a special fighting force with other farmers.
AuthorsMatsumoto, Jiro (Art), Nagai, Yoshio (Story)
GenresDrama, Historical
Volumes/Chapters6/36
StatusPublishing
PublishedApr 27, 2016 to ?, on Comic Ran (Leed)
7. Sweetness and Lightning

Cover
Suggested byMarmaladeSky
SummaryInuzuka is a teacher who has been caring on his own for his little daughter, Tsumugi, since his wife's death. He's no good at cooking, so they've been eating packaged meals from the convenience store. A series of events lead him one evening to a restaurant run by the mother of one of his students, Kotori. Her mother isn't there, but Kotori does her best to feed them both. It turns out that Kotori is often alone, since her parents are divorced and her mother is frequently not around. The three of them begin to meet and cook tasty food together.
AuthorsAmagakure, Gido (Story & Art)
GenresComedy, Slice of Life, Seinen
Volumes/Chapters12/63
StatusFinished
PublishedFeb 7, 2013 to Dec 7, 2018, on good! Afternoon (Kodansha)

Aaaaaaaaaaaand we're all set \o/

Remember, you can vote for 2 of those stories, and we'll be reading and discussing a volume of the winning one in the next two weeks.
Anyone can vote in here. Voting ends on Nov, 14th.

Ohhh we'll be reading Frieren at the Funeral!

Quick recap about the rule for this phase:
  • The first volume of the selected series will be recommended for the reading cycle. Anyone is free to read further, but spoiler tags will be mandatory in the discussion/review thread in case events that only happen past that initial one volume are to be mentioned.

Once again, we'll be reading the first volume. In this case, it's the first 7 chapters. You're free to read further, and then make your comments on spoiler tags, but checking at least the first 7 ones would be nice so we're all on the same page^^

This is another on going series, so I'm hoping people will stay hooked and we'll have more topics to discuss in the forum \o/ In December 1st we'll start another rotation, but this thread will also remain here in case we wanna continue to talk about Frieren. I swear I didn't pick this series cause of FriEren. After that date, spoiler tags won't be needed in this place anymore.

Don't mind me but I'll tag the voters / subscribers! Since this place lost a bit of activity, I'm afraid people might not get the alerts anymore XD (happens to me in some threads).

That being said... people let feedback about the model if you have some, been thinking if there's something that could be done to make this more engaging/entertaining. Cheers \@.@/

@Erinyes @MarmaladeSky @Zirconium @Tatsumaki @Ustegius

@revo @Brandish μ @Asako @Ramen

@Copy Panda @goldb @Demonspeed @Juviii @Faust
(This last bunch participated in the reading and dropped comments about the first series, so checking if they'd also be interested in this one ... sry, folks, showing up in this club was some sort of Satan deal thing kukuku)

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
5 chapters in. Writing my thoughts on spoilers just in case.

Well the point of view of this is certainly fresh and it doesn't feel like the worn-out isekai series I worried it might be like. The pace is slow and atmosphere rather melancholic. It has slice of life kinda vibes to it, even though I wouldn't quite place it under that genre. But it does have that kind Mono no aware sort feel to it.

The art is pretty standard. It isn't very interesting art style, but very solid and works. Technically quite well drawn actually. Just not my cup of tea.

So far it's okay, but I'm not quite sold yet. It might be because Frieren as a character opens so slowly. I know that her elven-ness is kinda the thing of the series, but I think it might be also the down fall. It's a hard identify with such an emotionally distant character. But I do have the feeling that she is opening up as the time goes.