Shounen Sousou no Frieren

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
I mentioned in the newest thread - MC03 - that the club would be discontinued :)

But the threads are still here for us to discuss the three selected series.


Btw @Demonspeed I'm almost up to date with it @_@! Holidays and work dragged me down a bit but I got like only 5 chapters left ^^
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm up to daaaaaate \o/
Kinda odd I like the characters so much I don't have a favorite, lmao. And I disagree with you, Fiend, about Frieren and Sein, I think the story is building up a bit more what she and Himmel had. Maybe that's setting future relationships, but the mirrored lotus chapter was quite sweet and left me with the feeling it's gonna continue like that. Also this chapter from 2 days ago, what she tells Voll is quite direct.
It's cute to see their relationships developing as a whole, and how little by little their world is explained to us as well. Curious about following Fern and Stark specially. Since Frieren mentions this adventure will last for years, it will be rly interesting to see characters aging slowly, without a timeskip. Nice premise.
But yeah that's my favorite manga series currently after SnK.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,718
Reaction score
61,439
Gender
Male
Country
France
I think if I had to pick a favorite it would be Frieren or Stark, the latter is really growing on me. Himmel and Heiter are also great in these flashbacks but yeah the cast is excellent.

Another great chapter this week. I wonder if there are other people who can discuss with Frieren like that besides that old man and Eisen. This chapter reinforces the importance of the statues. Himmel was truly a visionary. I don't know when Elves gets affected by senility but she wouldn't be able to forget him even if she wanted :XD.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Ohhh there was that elf monk she met as well xD
But yeah I'm used to RPG worlds where the different races have their own countries and don't really live together. But here they share villages, the only separation is between them and demons, but due to their predatory nature. I wonder what led to elves and dwarves being such few... Maybe with dwarves it's not that bad, but Frieren's master made it sound like elves are very rare.
 

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
12,926
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Finally getting to reading this series, sorry it took so long.
Read about 12 chapters so far. Enjoying it, Frieren is an interesting characters. It's funny how how old party members seem to help her even after their deaths. And her old master too I suppose.
Fern is a cute addition to the story, even though she's so much younger, she kind of dotes on Frieren (and that's sweet). Though I kind of wonder when she'll decide she must go her own way too (If she makes such a choice at all).

All in all, I'll be continuing reading this series. It looks nice, not overly complicated and a bit of a different take on the hero-story.
 

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
12,926
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Frieren definitely acts like a teenager yeah xD

Okay, so I have caught up! I love the coloured illustrations we get sometimes, they're very nice.
The party is growing more - I kind of like how every new addition is somehow connected to the old hero party. It's nice to see Frierens' past never really lets her go.
Also the way the past is shown in this series is quite nice - the short flashbacks that tell us a little something. I really like that a lot more than characters telling us about their past, and things similar to that.

Kind of ship Stark and Fern lol.
(And wonder when we'll see that elf-male again. Get the feeling he'll be more relevant in a later point in this story, or perhaps the elf-race in general).
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Yeah I'm curious about what happened to elves to make them so rare. Dwarves seem more common (loved that Voll chapter btw). Uh at first I didn't rly like Sein xD felt too close to Heither as a concept (I might have mispelled that name), but I'm growing to like him more whenever he shares a bit of his "wisdom".
 

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
12,926
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Me too!! If they're all have similar personalities as Frieren' I'd understand (not too social, might be hard to find a partner like that).

Yeah I get what you mean, they're pretty similar. Sein is starting to grow on me, he's not really the kind of character that really catches your attention right away imo. But he's basically the only mature person of the group, and I kind of like that. He's growing on me too haha
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,718
Reaction score
61,439
Gender
Male
Country
France
I think Frieren said that they are so few because most don't feel the need to procreate since they live too long. Frieren's family also got killed by Demons so...
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,718
Reaction score
61,439
Gender
Male
Country
France
New chapter out.

I loved Fern's remark about their party :XD.

More about Sein and his friend. I guess they'll split or take a detour. I like the party but I wouldn't mind the former as long as it's not Frieren and Fern again since we already got that.
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
So I read all chapters today in one go. Frieren is simply precious. Sometimes she is a grandma, sometimes a little child but mostly a self-absorbed klutz. Perfect.

Fern and Stark are great additions to her new party, which seems like she is subconciously replacing her old "family".

I do fear this will end bittersweet at best though...
 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,718
Reaction score
61,439
Gender
Male
Country
France
Fern's teammates are bad news. That exam won't end well for them if they target Frieren...

I know she said she lost to Humans before but it's hard to imagine her losing to an edgy Mage like that.
 

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
12,926
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Yeah absolutely, I think Fern is going to have a hard time with her team... But I think she's quite capable of handling her own, I think she'll be fine. She can be pretty feisty after all.
Can't imagine Frieren losing to emo-mage either, which makes me feel there might not be a confrontation between these two at all... But we'll see how this arc develops.

That aside, I really think Frierens' team is a fun one. I really like how she relates the teamwork/leading the team with the experiences she's had in the past with the Hero Party. Really enjoy how these small flashbacks are included in the story.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Tbh after the Voll I think the pace got a bit slower (the Gorilla part was nice but still immersive to me), and now I'm very excited about this new part with the exams! Very curious about Ubel, looks like she'll be a bit of a cliche but looking forward to the msgs they wanna deliver with her.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, I love Stark 🤣 he's so naive but I love to see how clueless he is cause in the end he has a good heart.
 

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
12,926
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
100% agree with you, the pace definitely seems a lot slower... But not complaining about that haha
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,718
Reaction score
61,439
Gender
Male
Country
France
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End Wins 14th Manga Taisho Awards.

Wirbel turned out to be the most likeable character of this bunch. This arc will probably end soon now that Frierenhas the opportunity to show off. I thought Fern would have more trouble at first but she seems to be much stronger than all the others besides her master.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Oh God, I got behind *cries in Spanish* stupid crazy month! Gonna catch up, was excited about the exam. I usually don't care much about those challenge parts in series, but I was enjoying the characters (how simplistic yet interesting they are + how they use their magic, I appreciate the variety and "specialties").
 

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
12,926
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
@Sky and @Farfalla go read it o3o We've got to talk haha


Just caught up with chapter 43, it's a good chapter!
I was expecting a big show down right away, given how 42 ended - but this chapter gave us a lot of information instead (with tension of a battle that is to come ofcourse).
I feel this really suits the style of this manga. I can't say enough how much I appreciate the history of Frieren, and other information slowly being trickled into the story like this.

So far, it seems that Denken ("thinking" - this name suits him really) is a suitable opponent for Frieren. They both have the same way of looking (or thinking about) at magic and that's interesting.
Also looking forward for Frieren to meeting Serie again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sky

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I have trouble remembering the names as in german those are just random words and not actual names. :XD

Denken knows who Frieren is and actually acts rather "normal" for this event. Sadly his younger teammate is a killmonger for no reason at all. I hope Kanne and Lawine can deal with him.

Frieren casually meeting all those fairytail-like bigshots in her life is hilarious. Even more so because she is so down to earth with everything.
Denken should be scared now though as our beloved Loli Grandma is smiling.
 
Top