Shounen Sousou no Frieren

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
12,926
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
And in this episode of Frieren being casual - Throws Denken to the ground with 0 effort. I don't know what I expected really xD
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
At first, I was confused and slightly overwhelmed with how many characters got introduced at once in the exam, but the author is managing to give decent attention to most of them, so the learning process is fun. This chapter with Ubel was especially nice, imo, and now we'll get a hype Frieren vs Frieren fight next wooooo
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,719
Reaction score
61,446
Gender
Male
Country
France
This arc is long! And there is a third test after that IIRC. Not only Frieren, they'll have to deal with Sense clone as well.

Yes, surprisingly I am warming up to the characters, though it's still hard for me to memorize their names.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Yeah, same. The spelling ain't easy to assimilate as well. But I like the differences in how they use magic and stuff.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I don't mind talking alone but maybe it's better if I start dropping the chapters here when they come out :3 This new one is quite good btw.

 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Übel is a menace.
Though I think she could never beat Frieren or Fern that way. The mages she is able to destroy have to use a special kind of magic after all.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yeah, same. The spelling ain't easy to assimilate as well.
I am german and I can't remember most names.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Hmmm... But since the core of her ability is sheer offense magic (like the Soul Track Fern uses) PLUS her own perception of reality (what can or not be commonly cut) maybe she'd be able to cause some damage to others as well (as in "cutting flesh")
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I wonder if it helps against agile enemies like that.
Burg was simply standing still and did not protect himself, only the coat.
Sense-clone was straightforwardly attacking with her hair.

Also I think if you know about it, she becomes less threatening if you are powerful enough.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
I think people that are fast enough not to bed seen wouldn't be affected, since they say magic is the world of visualization. And yeah Sense's flaw was her defense being the hair and basically only that I guess.

Tbh to me it was surprising that she killed a person during the exam and her sole punishment was to be disqualified. But I guess deaths are allowed in the exams, based in this current one.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Erin-chi reminded me that the new chapter is out:

With gorgeous colorpages!

I know the "round" per see (and even the fight) has been going for some chapters already, and that the manga focuses more on the feelings about those things than on battle hype, but this ending was a bit lacking to me. It's a bit repetitive as well how some of those mages look/sound OP/confident and aloof XD but it's nice to see them in color. Had pictured them differently (as in most of them being blonde lmao). Even if the battle per se was lacking, I like how the relationship between Frieren and Fern keeps being developed... the author didn't settle with the "they're quite close, period", and also like it how Fern keeps getting more and more highlighted. We think the story is basically about the PoV of an elf, but no, it's also about humans in the world of magic, something that is unnatural for me.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,719
Reaction score
61,446
Gender
Male
Country
France
No Mage can beat Frieren alone after all, even Fern :XD.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

A sweet chapter before the final exam!

I wonder how many will fail here.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,719
Reaction score
61,446
Gender
Male
Country
France
That was fast! :XD

So everyone failed excepted Fern...
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
That was fast! :XD

So everyone failed excepted Fern...
We haven't seen Denken or Übel and some others yet. Some of them might not fail either.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Yeah tbh I was curious about Denken... But then I couldn't recall if he had retreated in the previous challenge and hence failed.

Btw, James, Pandu told me all the character names in the series are German words. Didn't know, now I spend half of my reading translating them @_@ I like this extra touch.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, every Name so far is German and often seems to hint at their personality or aspects of their character.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,719
Reaction score
61,446
Gender
Male
Country
France
Why does Japan love Gemany so much :amuse.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Tentacles go wurst
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

Yeah you were right, James, all the rest passed. I guess this chapter was just a quick way to finish the exam, and I'm not rly sure I like the reasons why some of them passed, but the clone guy is certainly interesting.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Why does Japan love Gemany so much :amuse.
Not sure either to be honest. Maybe due historic reasons? It's not like that many germans live in Japan or that german as a language is popular in Japanese schools.

Tentacles go wurst
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


--- Double Post Merged, ---

Yeah you were right, James, all the rest passed. I guess this chapter was just a quick way to finish the exam, and I'm not rly sure I like the reasons why some of them passed, but the clone guy is certainly interesting.
I think it is due guts, ambition and a clear drive to use magic in combat. All stuff Frieren doesn't have or doesn't care about. She just wants to collect all sorts of commoner spells, is lazy and only fights when she has to. On the other hand we got folks like Denken, Wirbel and Übel who clearly think about fighting Serie, the most powerful mage known to this time. Or Land and Methode who dare try to trick Serie or are more impressed with her cuteness than her incredible power. And ofc Fern who is the only one who noticed Serie's well hidden instability in her mana aura, in her case it is pure talent that let Serie gave her a pass.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,719
Reaction score
61,446
Gender
Male
Country
France
One of the very, very, rare moments where Fern gives an opening and Stark blows it. Hard to blame him though :XD.

I thought Wirbel was a teenager all this time :amuse.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Ohhhhhhhhhhh I thought we didn't have a chapter this week! *goes read*
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Awnnnnnnnnnn it's cuuuuuuuuuuuuute
And I guess the author used the gag interruption to build this more slowly over time XD
 
Top