Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This is something I actually was thinking the other day, there are a couple of franchises whose manga sold super well like Rokudenashi BLUES, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho but you almost never see any merchandise from them, while Saint Seiya gets tons of merchandise every month.
You're talking about Japan? because Slam Dunk was the 4th best selling manga of 2018 with just a new edition of the original series, 5 million copies! I don't remember that ever happening with other older series before.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Yozakura lasted 2 days on Honto last time, maybe this time it could last 3 days?
Yozakura #4 lasted 2 days at 92th, and it was the first time the series lasted 2 days at Honto, so vol 5 is doing better, even more considering Yaiba and JJK volumes that are probably in the middle.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
You're talking about Japan? because Slam Dunk was the 4th best selling manga of 2018 with just a new edition of the original series, 5 million copies! I don't remember that ever happening with other older series before.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Yozakura #4 lasted 2 days at 92th, and it was the first time the series lasted 2 days at Honto, so vol 5 is doing better, even more considering Yaiba and JJK volumes that are probably in the middle.
Talking about manga that ranked top 10 in oricon long after they ended because of a re-release, It's rare, very rare, I couldn't get Dragon Ball kanzenban numbers from back in 2001-2002 but it seems like not even Dragon Ball or Slam Dunk kanzenbans got them to chart top 10 on oricon..
But ROOKIES by Masanori Morita charted top 9 back in 2008, 5 years after it had ended, most likely the boost in sales was thanks its drama/movie adaptation which was a HUGE hit in Japan, and it probably got a bunko re-release or something.

Sure it's not 5million but what ROOKIES did was still impressive, btw if you guys havent' read it it's a great read, if you like GTO you will probably enjoy ROOKIES too.

BUT as for my post I was talking outside manga, specifically merchandise.

Saint Seiya is literally the only franchise I can think of where every single character that has appeared in it has a figure, and I'm not talking about small, cheap figures but premium figures. (I just thought of other, Pokemon)
Also since its revival in 2002 the Saint Seiya franchise has gotten an adaptation (be it movie, cgi or anime) and even sometimes multiple adapations ever year except for 2004 (but in that year TOEI made the Ring Ni Kakero anime, the longest manga without an anime adaptation at the time, being adapted 27 years after its serialization), 2016 and 2017.

Basically what I'm saying is Saint Seiya is very likely a bigger cash cow than Slam Dunk and Yu Yu Hakusho, it's on the level of popularity of Dragon Ball almost everywhere that doesn't speak english, has got a new adaptation/or running in 15 of the last 18 years, and has a very loyal fanbase worldwide that buys all kinds of merchandise..

Compared to that, when is for example the last Yu Yu Hakusho figure released? Or Slam DUNK? (I know Slam Dunk got some figures re-released recently, but is still peanuts compared to Saint Seiya in whichi literally characters that appeared for a single chapter get a premium figure that a lot of collectors buy multiples of so they can have both the character with his/her cloth and the mounted cloths).

Other example is Hikaru no Go, a series I love and sold better than Saint Seiya, it hadn't had a figure released for almost 20 years!! Same for Hoshin Engi, other favorite of mine and that also sold better than Saint Seiya and just until recently (thanks to its mediocre anime adaptation) got more merchandise, after almost 15 years of getting no merch!
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
I don't have the time to read every post in the last couple of pages but if I get the gist of it is mostly about Toriko vs BLEACH and their respective popularity at the time.

BTW I saw some people talking about Toriko's sales so here are the latest numbers per easylove's WSJ video. (23'638,000 sold updated January 17, so a little bit after tha manga had ended iirc but it might be missing sales from its last volume).

That puts it at the half million seller club, along with other titles like Eyeshield 21, Nurarihyon, Black Cat and Shokugeki No Soma, titles that didn't get cancelled but weren't exactly up to part in sales/popularity with the biggest manga of their time.

Toriko as previously noted got the biggest push ever... Like they actually made an issue of WSJ where you could supposedly smell the pages of the Toriko chapter or something like that iirc it was chapter 2..
Toriko's 1st anime episode was a crossover with One Piece (And it had another with DB and OP too iirc).

Like I know Shimabu is friends with Oda, and Dragon Ball is a Toei property.. So for the big marketing push (And it is the biggest marketing push JUMP has ever tried, at least that I have witnessed) it was .. well not a failure but not a success either.

As for BLEACH, while BLEACH was in decline when Toriko was gaining popularity neither series had anything to do with their decline and/or popularity increase, it's not like Toriko was taking away marketing that would have benefitted BLEACH which was a "dying" series, sure it had been colossal in its halcyon days (I don't even know if I'm using this expression correctly but it's a BLEACH reference lol) but it was declining in sales by the volume.




What do you mean it's not a million seller? It's mathematically impossible for BLEACH to have achieved its sales (90M Japan) without at least one of its volumes selling one million volumes, If I were to make a guess I'd say volumes 1-48 probably sold around 1.5m and the rest a little bit less than a million.. Sure maybe not all its volumes sold a million (Though maybe they did) but it definetly is a million seller in all likeness.

Also... Saint Seiya is in another level, its manga might not have been the best seller but it's a gold mine as a franchise. It has a huge fanbase worldwide and even in Japan it still gets monthly figures, events, has a magazine for the figure line, has a mobile game, etc...

This is something I actually was thinking the other day, there are a couple of franchises whose manga sold super well like Rokudenashi BLUES, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho but you almost never see any merchandise from them, while Saint Seiya gets tons of merchandise every month.
Million seller according to Oricon data, Bleach circulation is above 1M, but most that have sold over 1M on Oricon don't have circulation less than 2M per volume.

Yeah, Saint Seiya is an anomaly, but it's not on the forefront of Jump franchises at this point. Several old series like Tsubasa, FOTN, and Dragon Quest are getting new stuff and I hope this trend continues. I'm really hoping more series get similar franchise power to Saint Seiya.

I'm not so sure on your point on Yuyu Hakusho or Slam Dunk. Yuyu has to go through P.O.T. and I'm not sure but I think I've read that SD also has some technical stuff that makes it harder to do business. Wish we had more specifics on franchise stuff, but it's a curious topic.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Honto Day 2 (November 5th)
84. Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen #05
89. Hakaishin Magu-chan #01
LIVE DARN YOU! I'm so pleasantly surprised that Magu-chan seems to be doing respectably since it's by a total newbie and it seemed to have a pretty modest TOC placement most weeks. Hopefully it, as well as Yozakura, can keep up the momentum.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Million seller according to Oricon data, Bleach circulation is above 1M, but most that have sold over 1M on Oricon don't have circulation less than 2M per volume.

Yeah, Saint Seiya is an anomaly, but it's not on the forefront of Jump franchises at this point. Several old series like Tsubasa, FOTN, and Dragon Quest are getting new stuff and I hope this trend continues. I'm really hoping more series get similar franchise power to Saint Seiya.

I'm not so sure on your point on Yuyu Hakusho or Slam Dunk. Yuyu has to go through P.O.T. and I'm not sure but I think I've read that SD also has some technical stuff that makes it harder to do business. Wish we had more specifics on franchise stuff, but it's a curious topic.
I'm aware of Captain Tsubasa, Hokuto no Ken and DQ, hopefully this trend continues as you said, just reminded me that DQ Dai no Daiboken had also not gotten merch until 2 years ago when it appeared in Jump Force AND got a WSJ 50th anniversary figure, that one had no merchandise for almost 25 years!

What's P.O.T?

As for Slam Dunk, outside of Japan Inoue's wife is the one in charge of licesing... I'm guessing only the manga? But maybe also licesing merchandising, this is 100% confirmed btw, it's mentioned in the argentinian Slam Dunk Kanzenban release as kind of a side note.

As for rumors, I have heard Inoue didn't like how Slam Dunk's anime turned out/finished and that's why he doesn't like to license his stuff anymore (At least that's the supposed reason as to why no animes for Vagabond or REAL have been made or a SD remake.. Though again that's just rumors.

But if I were to make a guess Takehiko Inoue rarely licenses his franchise anymore, the Inoue Takehiko collection line of figures probably is made by Inoue himself (as in he orders them and sells them directly, he even has them linked in his personal site), all the figures are sculpted by the same sculptor AND manufactured by the same company that usually makes plastic food models which was the biggest wtf for me haha like you would usually go for a company that makes figures, not plastic food models.. but this is just a theory of mine.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
My point.
2012 - Bleach highest selling volume 653,085 (believe print was 720k or something at that time)- roughly half of its peak print of 1.3million (or something around that range).

No one's downplaying Bleach's sales. But doesn't take away the fact that Bleach was way past it's peak in 2012 while Toriko still growing as a series in sales. HENCE, THEREFORE, @Reading Somethin' 's original point about there was logic behind WSJ's push of Toriko ahead of Bleach.
You keep assuming people are downplaying Bleach's importance when really we are just talking about 2011-2012 when Toriko was pushed in front of magazine covers and promotion ahead of Ichigo and providing reasons why that makes logical sense.
Although Bleach was definitely in decline by that time, I think pushing Toriko ahead of it was still too early at the time. One thing’s for sure, they were too overenthusiastic about it and rushed it. Again, Bleach was declining at the time, but it wasn’t until 2014 that it really started to fall off. And I believe that was where Jump’s mistakes lied. Rather than going full force before 2014, it would have been better for them to steadily promote it little by little and crank it up by 2014.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 11/5

#1 Haikyuu!! 45
#2 Chainsaw Man 9
#4 Dr. Stone 18
#69 Mission: Yozakura Family 5
#89 Magu-chan: God of Destruction 1
#90 Me & Roboco 1
#91 Shakunetsu no Niraikanai 1
#406 Bone Collection 2
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Also, SxF anime is so getting announced at JF lol.
I can see them announcing both Jigokuraku & SxF animes at JF. They seem to like to promote those series together anyway.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I didn't think Magu and Roboco would hold above Yozakura past the first day. It's pretty cool seeing them go 89/90/91 though, all three new series together.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 11/5

#1 Haikyuu!! 45
#2 Chainsaw Man 9
#4 Dr. Stone 18
#69 Mission: Yozakura Family 5
#89 Magu-chan: God of Destruction 1
#90 Me & Roboco 1
#91 Shakunetsu no Niraikanai 1
#406 Bone Collection 2
What are the odds that all 3 newbies would be right next to each other and almost in release order lol. Considering how much of the top 100 spots are filled with Kimetsu backlog (27 are in the top 100 (lowest in spot 92)), Jujustu backlog (14 are in the top 100 (lowest in spot 51)), and Chainsaw Man (9 are in the top 100 (lowest in spot 86)).

All of Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu (except for the TV Anime thing in spot 335 today (excluded from my number above)), and all but volume 7 of Kimetsu (which is spot 92) are above Magu/Roboco/Shark.

Tl;dr = 50 of the top 100 spots in today's Shoseki are either Kimetsu, Jujutsu, or Chainsaw Man
 

evielynn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Messages
104
Reaction score
300
Age
26
Country
United Kingdom
Aight so here's some predictions:
- Jujutsu Kaisen takes the place of Kimetsu as the second big hit after KNY ends. (maybe not as big tho lmao that would be crazy)
- Black Clover begins it's descent into late Bleach / SnS territory
- Yozakura and Mitama survive
- New serializations by Masaoki Shindo (Count Over) and Yuusei Matsui (AssClass, Neuro)
- HxH returns about halfway through the year
- Chainsawman and Act-age animes both announced
- Samurai 8 to some other magazine, Saikyo or + or smth
Happy I got JJK right, almost right with BC before Nacht saved the series too.

Lets see if I'm any wiser one year later:
JJK will blow up real big, somewhere between the levels of 2019 and 2020 Kimetsu.
Phantom Seer and Sakamoto survive.
Build King gets a S8 level run before being cancelled.
Dr. Stone announces its final arc.
Yozakura and Mashle get anime announced, Undead doesn't.
New serializations from Tsujita Taisei (Naraku no Ko), Masaoki Shindo (Count Over) & Kenta Shinohara (SKET Dance)
HxH doesn't come back.
Gotouge comes back, but only with a miniseries for now.
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
I'm aware of Captain Tsubasa, Hokuto no Ken and DQ, hopefully this trend continues as you said, just reminded me that DQ Dai no Daiboken had also not gotten merch until 2 years ago when it appeared in Jump Force AND got a WSJ 50th anniversary figure, that one had no merchandise for almost 25 years!

What's P.O.T?

As for Slam Dunk, outside of Japan Inoue's wife is the one in charge of licesing... I'm guessing only the manga? But maybe also licesing merchandising, this is 100% confirmed btw, it's mentioned in the argentinian Slam Dunk Kanzenban release as kind of a side note.

As for rumors, I have heard Inoue didn't like how Slam Dunk's anime turned out/finished and that's why he doesn't like to license his stuff anymore (At least that's the supposed reason as to why no animes for Vagabond or REAL have been made or a SD remake.. Though again that's just rumors.

But if I were to make a guess Takehiko Inoue rarely licenses his franchise anymore, the Inoue Takehiko collection line of figures probably is made by Inoue himself (as in he orders them and sells them directly, he even has them linked in his personal site), all the figures are sculpted by the same sculptor AND manufactured by the same company that usually makes plastic food models which was the biggest wtf for me haha like you would usually go for a company that makes figures, not plastic food models.. but this is just a theory of mine.
POT is Togashi's thing, not sure how it works specifically, but you can see it under Hunter x Hunter's copyright. I know Yuyu Hakusho and HxH are under it, but I'm not sure about Sailor Moon.

I didn't know any of that, but I wouldn't be surprised if your theory on Slam Dunk ends up correct.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yozakura keeping very stable in terms of ranking number, literally the same position of vol 3, under vol 4 because this one had a really great start, the question is how much the position itself will mean in terms of estimation sales but is doing good.

Yozakura Family:

Vol.1: #40 > #60
Vol.2: #47 > #63
Vol.3: #41 > #69
Vol.4: #16 > #52
Vol.5: #43 > #69


I'm quite surprised on how well Cop & Dolphin hold compared to Magu-chan and Roboco, it dropped only 28 positions while Magu-chan dropped 49 and Roboco 46, that's good, please jp readers, keep buying!

Magu-chan

Vol.1: #40 > #89

Cop & Dolphin

Vol.1: #63 > #91

Me & Roboco

Vol.1: #44 > #90
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
POT is Togashi's thing, not sure how it works specifically, but you can see it under Hunter x Hunter's copyright. I know Yuyu Hakusho and HxH are under it, but I'm not sure about Sailor Moon.

I didn't know any of that, but I wouldn't be surprised if your theory on Slam Dunk ends up correct.
Oh I see.. It's probably his own company then, maybe, like Takehiko Inoue's I.T. Planning which is his own company that deals with his properties outside of Japan.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Yozakura keeping very stable in terms of ranking number, literally the same position of vol 3, under vol 4 because this one had a really great start, the question is how much the position itself will mean in terms of estimation sales but is doing good.

Yozakura Family:

Vol.1: #40 > #60
Vol.2: #47 > #63
Vol.3: #41 > #69
Vol.4: #16 > #52
Vol.5: #43 > #69


I'm quite surprised on how well Cop & Dolphin hold compared to Magu-chan and Roboco, it dropped only 28 positions while Magu-chan dropped 49 and Roboco 46, that's good, please jp readers, keep buying!

Magu-chan

Vol.1: #40 > #89

Cop & Dolphin

Vol.1: #63 > #91

Me & Roboco

Vol.1: #44 > #90
This volume of Yozakura is also not only fighting against the Kimetsu backlog, but also Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man hogging up a bunch of spots. Of the 50 volumes of Kimetsu/Chainsaw Man/Jujutsu that I mentioned were in the top 100, all but 4 volumes of Kimetsu and 5 volumes of Chainsaw Man are above Yozakura volume 5. If none of this abnormality were a thing, Yozakura would be hovering around #20 in theory.

As for the 3 newbies, I wonder if Shark got a larger initial print than Magu and Roboco. I'm concerned about stock issues for Roboco and especially Magu since the author is a total newbie. I've been seeing Tweets online with people saying Magu was out of stock at places they were looking at.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Oh I see.. It's probably his own company then, maybe, like Takehiko Inoue's I.T. Planning which is his own company that deals with his properties outside of Japan.
POT is Togashi's studio/company name. Much like Studio K2R for Katsura, Bird Studio for Toriyama, STUDIO LOUD IN SCHOOL for Hagiwara, LUCKY LAND COMMUNICATIONS for Araki, etc.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
.....

I seriously thought that stood for Prince of Tennis.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top