Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,447
Reaction score
39,331
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Build King's second chapter started off strong (thought we were going to get Toriko lol). It is weaker than the first chapter or maybe I have to reread it since I read it in a rush. The mechanics of Tonkachi's hammer are cool and the world building/lore is interesting. The whole hearing the housebeast reminds me of food luck and cant say I'm too excited about that atm. Overall I like the first chapter more but wouldn't say the second chapter was bad.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Build King's second chapter started off strong (thought we were going to get Toriko lol). It is weaker than the first chapter or maybe I have to reread it since I read it in a rush. The mechanics of Tonkachi's hammer are cool and the world building/lore is interesting. The whole hearing the housebeast reminds me of food luck and cant say I'm too excited about that atm. Overall I like the first chapter more but wouldn't say the second chapter was bad.
Could have a Grossover build king and Toriko.
 

wothab

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
267
Age
32
Country
Brazil
Really liked sakamoto
Gonna see where it heads off now
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,437
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
Sakamoto was enjoyable, though personally I think changing the setting from a large supermarket to a mom and pop store could be a bit limiting in the long run. Looking forward to more chapters. At this point I think Moriking is definitely ending with WNL, if Chainsaw Man ends that batch or next batch I can't say. Roboco was back to being absolutely hilarious this week.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Weekly Shonen Jump #52/2020 preview HQ!!



And new information for Jump Festa '21 Online.

The Jujutsu Kaisen page part is saying The Shibuya Incident Arc is reaching the climax

-----

Question. Do you guys see Yozakura Family having any chances to have a panel on Jump Festa 22? In theory, after Chainsawman is its turn next.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
3,118
Age
24
Country
United States
Question. Do you guys see Yozakura Family having any chances to have a panel on Jump Festa 22? In theory, after Chainsawman is its turn next.
It'd be at around Chapter 110 so I'd hope so, but Act Age didn't get one at chapter 98 or so
 

c3pman

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
47
Reaction score
84
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
About the manga I follow, on issue 2020-#51:

- Sakamoto Days was great and a nice read. I liked the art, characters and the initial premise.
- Ayakashi Triangle had a great chapter ending this arc. I think in this point is where the true plot starts. New goals for all the characters.
- Mashle being Mashle and following the same pattern up until now, but the new characters showed in the final double spread look promising.
- Phantom Seer, this week's chapter was ok... I love the art and I want to love the story so far but I'm not hyped yet.
- Build King, I'm not really fond of its art but it can gives us a fun world to explore and cool adventures (One Piece...).
- Our Blood Oath... dropped... the art is not really appealing, obnoxious characters (specially Kou) and messy storytelling.

On Shonen Jump+, I'm really really loving so far Ron Kamonohashi, Kaiju No.8 and Wa no Kage/Ring Shadow (apparently only available on Spanish).
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
SD: Liked it, liked the action and character interaction between the two now ex-hitmens more than the comedy though. Feels like this will stick around for a long time. It was a good set-up for future chapters and the CP already foreshadowing many other characters is promising.

DS: Time and Human stamina seems to be the two main resources our heroes won't have to worry about. They always have just enough to finish before things get too sticky.

OP: Lotsa stuff happening. Sanji about to desert on Luffy next chapter, I'd bet big bucks on it.

BK: More world-building which is welcomed. Interesting bit about the Trolls and their way of eating houses being set due their history of calamity buildings and beast buildings.

JjK: Man, just a great fight as ever.

Mash: Every single one of those amazing Visionary Mages will job before Mash's almighty muscle power and we all know it and can't wait for it.^^

M&R: A Gorilla chapter! HELL YEAH! Urahara got a cute design, love how jealous she was on Bondo and his bond with Gachi, which is really close tbf to her. Any chapter with Gorilla Gachi gains big points with me!

UU: Straight to the point, I don't mind the speed in this case. Fuuko being a total badass pulling the trigger of the gun 5 times to her temple was "damn, girl"! Sad about Andy's friends or his realization what he and his power truly are but if Fuuko is in this for the long run aka many different situations Andy has been in and how he get most of his scars and tattoo and such. Doubt we will cover everything though. Andy and Victhor will still keep many secrets about themselves.

Magu: This was a great chapter! Those three work great as a chapter focus. Naputaaku being the drunkard of the three and getting carried home by his loyal hermit crabs was great as was the discussion of Magu and Uneras and the barkeeper giving Magu good advise while Uneras is dying of stifling her laughter. Loved his idea of praise and compliments at the end of the chapter.

BC: Not reading.

WNL: Sensei butt.

Yoza: ...He should stay a baby forever because goddamn was he cute!!!

AT: First of all, Sharkbro did not deserve this kind of harsh heartbreak. Did all that work just to get his heart smashed to pieces. Poor Bro. Second, Suzu is the real hero MC of this story. Proactive, tons of agenda on her plate, has the sexy accidents, it's all there! Matsuri no longer being dense is really nice development, this so far has been very smooth going from dumb ecchi to quite a romantic route. Glad that she is back though, not gonna lie. That girl is the real butter to the bread of this series.^^

HBC&D:
We are two Dad comedy for real now.

AB: Will they stay like this for the rest of this series... that would be a bit disturbing...

MK: Oka shows why she is my fav. Also what the hell?????????????

PS: Nobody died? Really? Didn't that one woman got crushed to a bloody pulp?

OBO: Humans are sooooooooooo stupid~ You could put Godzilla before them and they would think it is a movie set.

HSF: I doubt Dad gonna stay an Errand boy for long.

Feels like Jump will be more steady in 2021 than they had been this year which was huge in the change of new and veteran series leaving this magazine.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Not really sure why the official translator opinion matters here.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Sakamoto Days was incredibly entertaining and a very quick read. I got hardly any complaints about it other than what direction the series will go. It may be my fav WSJ serialization of 2020 and Build King is a good contender depending how the rest of the chapters are. I think for Build King we need to see Shimabu's ideas executed, the second chapter was mainly info dumps and the premise/ideas are so wacky so I don't blame people for not connecting as much with the second chapter vs the first.


Just like everyone else here I thoroughly enjoyed Sakamoto Days. What a fun first chapter - great action with a nice balance of humour to it. I liked that Sakamoto barely said anything, that should be a fun character trait. Can definitely see the series filling that Chainsaw Man gap once it has to leave us. Speaking of, Chainsaw Man was solid once again, but it did feel like we were all waiting for this 1v1, so next week should be the beginning of the full on emotional blitz-fest.

Three series this week possibly had my favourite chapters so far. Me & Roboco did a stellar job in introducing yet another nice addition to the cast with Akane Urahara (she's got a really effortlessly cool design). Anytime Gorilla gets the spotlights it's great, especially fleshing out that he's not the bully he seems at first. The moments of romance and interpretations of Gorilla and Bondo's scenes were hilarious. The Tsuyu reference also gave me a chuckle, as did the boys reading Chainsaw Man/Ayakashi Triangle. Great chapter all around, can't wait to see more of Akane. Mashle really drew me in with the Divine Visionaries entering the story; Mash was as cool as always this week but seeing the 'Captains' of the series in that final double spread was so very appreciated and gives me hopes for the long-term future of the series. Even Ayakashi Triangle continues to impress! It's nothing amazing but I liked the shift in focus to romance rather than ecchi, even if it's not going to last. At least now I know the series can be solid when it doesn't drown itself in fanservice.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin, Agravity Boys, and Mission: Yozakura Family all had comedic chapters that either wrapped up or gently nudged in the direction of another more serious story arc. Didn't love any in particular but they were all fine. On the other hand, Magu-chan was notably more fun than usual this week thanks to the focus on the non-human characters. I've found that's where I enjoy the series most.

Dr. Stone and We Never Learn continue to disappoint with their current stories, even if they're not terrible. Our Blood Oath managed to keep its pace steady this week but the content wasn't anything memorable. I'm wondering if I should bother re-reading Toriko because I'm getting the same vibes as I did back then with Build King right now, which is this is absolutely not my kind of thing. Nothing works from me, from the art, to the weird rounded flashback panelling, to the character designs and their sense of humour. Also, I can't get over how silly the world is despite the characters taking it serious... they're just... buildings. Is everything really going to twist the story so that a building is at he centre of everything? I mean obviously it is but I don't know if I'm ever gonna be invested in that idea not matter how Shimabukuro sells it.

Also, shout out to High School Family for that Your Name reference. I could see it coming in the page leading up to the stairs.

My ranking of the chapters compared to last week:
  1. (+6) Me & Roboco
  2. (NEW) Sakamoto Days
  3. (+3) Mashle
  4. (-3) One Piece
  5. (-3) Chainsaw Man
  6. (-1) Undead Unluck
  7. (-3) Phantom Seer
  8. ( - ) Black Clover
  9. (+4) Jujutsu Kaisen
  10. ( - ) Ayakashi Triangle
  11. (-2) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  12. (-4) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
  13. (-1) Agravity Boys
  14. (-3) Mission: Yozakura Family
  15. ( - ) Dr. Stone
  16. (-2) We Never Learn
  17. (+3) Magu-chan: God of Destruction
  18. (-1) Our Blood Oath
  19. (-3) Build King
  20. (-2) Moriking
I don't see how rereading Toriko is going to change anything. Like I said, Shimabu is going to have to show us the execution of his ideas and not info dumps. Also, yes, his rounded panels for flashback is such a weird way of portraying flashbacks.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Also, yes, his rounded panels for flashback is such a weird way of portraying flashbacks.
Why? I don’t really understand this complaint. It’s different, to be sure, by why is it a negative?
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
CSM is as unpredictable as ever, can’t tell how everything will end after all is set and done. Mashle rocking that CP like a king, we got more lore and new characters introduced, can’t wait to see how all turns out.

Cop and Dolphin made me laugh so much, and it looks like we are having a bit of plot on this chapter and the next, nice. Yozakura with a chill transition chapter. Ayakashi probably had its best chapter yet, finally setting something that moves a subplot forward. Magu-chan also made me laugh a lot, the 3 gods really know how to steal a scene.

Phantom Seer concluded the arc better than expected, curious to see were things go from here on.
 

Rheine

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
89
Age
33
Country
Indonesia
A great start for Sakamoto Days! I'm really enjoying its mix of humor and action. A relief to see that its first chapter is mostly sticking to its one-shot too, after Build King that gave us something a whole lot different.

Speaking of which, Build King is giving us more details about the world building, which is welcome. Interesting that the 'living house' here is actually a race of dangerous monsters. I wonder if Tonkachi will get a house companion that he can power up with his hammer.

Another great chapter for Undead Unluck. I really admire the mangaka's way of making each chapter count. I wonder how much we'll see of Andy's past. Poor guy. But now with Fuuko by his side maybe things can go differently? Can she influence the events in the book?

Dr. Stone is progressing as expected, not much to say. Highschool Family has a weaker chapter than before, not much laughs or character moments to be had (we already know the dad is determined and good at sports).

Moriking is part gross, part funny. And Mori King didn't even defeat the opponent! Is that victory valid?

The new character in Me and Roboco has one of the best designs among the new characters introduced this WSJ volume. I quite like the gags with Gachigori x Bondo, but her tsukkomi could've been sharper. Also the boys reading CSM is a highlight.

Agravity Boys finally going back to its plot. I'm surprised they actually thought about the logistics of time traveling. Okay transitional chapter with some outrageous moments, courtesy of Baba(e).

Cute chapter of Magu-chan, sad we didn't get to see more of the trio in dapper outfits. The bartender lady is cool. Magu praising Ruru is adorable.

Jujutsu Kaisen with the bad ass fight again, though I don't really understand what was happening with the villain seeing an apparition of Sukuna?

Yozakura Family is too adorable! Glad to see the rest of the family again. Now we'll see if the next arc is a serious one or not. Also, cute Nanao is back.

I don't really dig the mob battles in Chainsaw Man and this chapter is no exception. Still, hyped for the next issue.

Our Blood Oath is meh again, it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Phantom Seer is fine, some substantial development, though I wish the battle could've gone on for at least one more chapter to showcase the girl's new ability.

I'm also catching up to Black Clover and I gotta say I'm enjoying it a lot so far. It scratches that shonen fantasy itch for me. Still halfway to the newest chapters though.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Why? I don’t really understand this complaint. It’s different, to be sure, by why is it a negative?
Its not so much of a negative, it's just weird. I prefer the traditional black pages.
 

SlamMonster

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
171
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Sakamoto days was cool on its own, but I'm not sure how I feel about it as a part of a series. It just didn't make me excited for more at all. Partially that's on me as I'm not interested in more comedic episodic stories (or at least that's where I see it heading, despite all the murder) right now. Although the color spread showed other hitmen, wonder how they will be used. But mostly I just didn't like Sakamoto at all. He feels like a one dimensional gimmicky side character, not one of the main characters. Very limiting to the narrative.
But I hope it will prove me and my first impressions wrong.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,447
Reaction score
39,331
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The results of the last 3 polls will soon be posted together.

MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I'm interested in author comments this issue. Wondering if Tabata (who wasn't on previous issue and is the most social Jump author) or Oda will say hi back to Shimabukuro there.
Lol yeah Tabata mentioned Shimabu's return. He is the most welcoming mangaka I've ever seen. I was expecting Oda & maybe Akutami to mention Shimabu but I guess not.

Also Shimabu mentions that Build King is a very challenging series for him to make.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,447
Reaction score
39,331
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Build King first chapter was 2nd place in the Twitter Polls, like i mentioned days ago looking at reactions, BK was being really well received on JP twitter:


Curious to see how Sakamoto Days will be received, the PV on Jump channel has 8k in 20 hours, it will probably easily overtake Build King (13k in 5 days) but well, Phantom Seer is there to show isn't as simple as "views = rankings".
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Overall, this was a pretty strong week for WSJ as a whole. Series I typically like really brought their A game once again, and even a handful of series that I typically feel more lukewarm towards were better than usual.

This week's top 5:
1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - I never realized I needed a chapter about 3 all=powerful beings exploring adult-life at night. In addition to the laughs, there were also a few touching and interesting moments brought up during their conversations. So pumped for next week's CP!
2. Sakamoto Days - This was one of the best first chapters from all of this year easily. Hilarious premise, solid characters, and a very fitting artstyle for the level of action in the chapter. The art felt a bit like Undead Unluck's at the beginning. I'm very eager for more next week.
3. Mission: Yozakura Family - A super cute chapter! Seeing everyone's parental instincts kick in was really hilarious. After all of the non-stop action, it was nice to have a lighthearted chapter again.
4. Me & Roboco - I laughed way too hard at this chapter! Another solid cast addition, and Gachi Gorilla had so many parts that had me in stitches. Roboco barely even showed up, and the chapter was still fantastic.
5. Ayakashi Triangle - A very satisfying ending to the battle, plus that ending was hilarious. I'm glad that the series has had a string of good chapters after a period of time where the chapters felt a little flat.

The best of the rest:
6. Undead Unluck - It's been nice to see Fuuko grow and become stronger as the series has gone on. The ending of the chapter was also really sad for Andy. You could see all of the life and joy escaping his eyes on the last page.
7. Mashle - The chapter itself was decent, but the part that had me most interested was the group of new characters shown at the very end. Interested to learn more about them next week.
8. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - Probably one of the strongest chapters of this series. The parents are the best characters in the series.
9. We Never Learn - Yet another alright chapter. Nothing more, nothing less.
10. Moriking - What the heck happened in that one scene!? Not going to lie, that caught me way off guard lol.
11. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - Slightly better than usual. Some parts made me chuckle a tiny bit. The best chapters seem like they have nothing to do with any of the weird sea-stuff.
12. Chainsaw Man - Another fight chapter. Best part was the very last scene though.
13. Agravity Boys - Marginally better than normal, but not much. Perhaps entering the endgame?
14. Build King - Still find the whole premise weird, and to top it off, now we have to deal with poop jokes too. I'm failing to see the appeal that this author seems to command.
15. Honomieru Shonen - Majorly disappointed by the way they wrapped the girl's training arc. It felt cheap, rushed, and lackluster. I'm heavily considering dropping this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top