Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1613 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Build King really does have great worldbuilding but literally nothing else in this series does it for me, oh well. My Hero really disappointed me this week, bringing my favorite character in the series back in a way that didn't have any build up, I was excited to see more of his arc in the future, but not like this. Phantom Seer had a really good chapter this week, really digging Iori and Aibetsu's relationship, High School Family also had a good chapter.
If you read back a bit before this arc started there was a decent amount of subtle foreshadowing of his return. It wasn’t very “in your face” and it’s extremely easy to miss though.

Won’t get into that ITT though

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Pretty boring lists as expected, is just infinite Yaiba + One Piece, Neverland, MHA and Spy x Family, but well, congrats for the success

Did Boruto even make any of the rankings? I’m curious 🤨
Not on Oricon, but on Shoseki will be like all the others that didnt make it too

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
To think, another week or two and a couple of JJK volumes might've made the top 50.

Kimetsu is an absolute beast.
And yay, Kingdom is number 2.
Why would Boruto make any of these rankings? It doesn't sell high enough to chart on yearly charts.

Monthly or weekly charts when a volume releases, yeah.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Only once in 2016 with its first volume. Back then Oricon released a top 100 so the series managed to chart at #87 with 431,872 copies sold.

AbrahamOmosun

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Domination is the only way to describe this really...KnY alone sold more than the entire highest top 10 to date (2011), the entire top 22 spots are occupied as well as 26/50, nd the freaking fanbook that released last year is above every non-OP jump volume...

Even the novel department is absolutely ridicolous.

That said it's a strong top 10 overall, the strongest we've had in years even excluding KnY. Good on Kingdom for ending up #2 (even though that's due to OP only releasing 3 volumes) and JJK making #5 is very impressive, as well as SxF already selling that much. MHA sold 6mln yet only cracked #8 due to how competitive this year has been.
Could you post Kimetsu's light novel sales?

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Could you post Kimetsu's light novel sales?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Wow Haikyuu so close to op. Welp, next year will be interesting to follow, at least for the first half of 2021.

NotMe123

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To think, another week or two and a couple of JJK volumes might've made the top 50.

Kimetsu is an absolute beast.
And yay, Kingdom is number 2.

Why would Boruto make any of these rankings? It doesn't sell high enough to chart on yearly charts.

Monthly or weekly charts when a volume releases, yeah.
Yh I get that and we probably won’t get another top 10/50 ranking for a while. But, it needs to be noted that In Shoseki ranking, Boruto being a monthly series is fully capable of going head-to-head with strong weekly series, such as KnY, JJK, and SpyXFamily. For example, when Boruto volume 12 came out it was top 5 within the first week and didn’t drop ranking for the 2nd and 3rd, competing against the likes of KnY, JJK, MHA, and etc...

I often see people say the series should be axed due to the constant decline of sales, but who are you comparing those sales with? Weekly series? Who publish volumes every 4/5 weeks? Is that really fair? Whereas Boruto, being a monthly series, only publishes a volume in 4/5 months. But when a volume does come out we see those rankings and the numbers, and for a monthly series they are definitely not “axe” worthy but they are also not on the same level as the sales for the first couple of volumes.

Has shoseki posted their yearly stats? And if so can someone please link the article?

Reading Somethin'

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Honduras
This is a great year!

-kny's historical record, far surpassing one piece
-kingdom beating one piece(no excuses! There aren't any when weekly beat monthly or hxh doesn't make the chart)
-jjk top 5, beating mha
- sxf's massive rise, has it beaten pre-anime ac yet?

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States

Complete domination of Japan's economy.
A feat that might never be topped in some of our lifetimes, ESPECIALLY with the country's population decline increasing every year.

Overall amazing results this year. Wonder if JJK can break 10m next year.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
This has been one of the years, if not the most, with most sales regarding manga that I remember. I mean, yes, My Hero Academia ended 8th. 8th with +6 million copies sold, which in other years is a number achieved by the 3rd or 4th manga of the Oricon year lists.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Will someone ever take down this monster called Kimetsu no yaiba ?

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Let time answer you that. Also, I think the current situation of the pandemic kinda pushed its domination more.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I ok

When can we expect them to post it? Next week?
If by the last two years, only in January, when they post i will do the Black Clover, Boruto and other numbers for my twitter, and will post here too

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yh I get that and we probably won’t get another top 10/50 ranking for a while. But, it needs to be noted that In Shoseki ranking, Boruto being a monthly series is fully capable of going head-to-head with strong weekly series, such as KnY, JJK, and SpyXFamily. For example, when Boruto volume 12 came out it was top 5 within the first week and didn’t drop ranking for the 2nd and 3rd, competing against the likes of KnY, JJK, MHA, and etc...

I often see people say the series should be axed due to the constant decline of sales, but who are you comparing those sales with? Weekly series? Who publish volumes every 4/5 weeks? Is that really fair? Whereas Boruto, being a monthly series, only publishes a volume in 4/5 months. But when a volume does come out we see those rankings and the numbers, and for a monthly series they are definitely not “axe” worthy but they are also not on the same level as the sales for the first couple of volumes.

Has shoseki posted their yearly stats? And if so can someone please link the article?
So let's get this straight. Going head-to-head would mean that it can sell close to those series you mentioned when in reality it can't. If you're talking about Boruto 12 being above Kimetsu no Yaiba's and Jujutsu Kaisen's most recent volumes back then you need to realize that Kimetsu no Yaiba 21 was released in July and Jujutsu Kaisen 12 was released in August so they had already sold a fair share. It's also worth noting that Kimetsu no Yaiba's backlog was slowing down and would only pick up a month and a half later when the movie was released and Jujutsu Kaisen still didn't have the anime push. Also, Boruto 12 on its second week dropped to #11 then to #41 on its third week.

As for Shoseki, the yearly ranking will only drop on January so you'll have to wait.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Let time answer you that. Also, I think the current situation of the pandemic kinda pushed its domination more.
I will really be surprised if he maintains these sales until 2021.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
It is, in fact, the third longest romcom in Jump.
I wonder how many things will change in the mid-2021 ranking.

For example, Kimetsu will probably be first again, but I believe Haykyuu and Neverland will no longer be on the leaderboard.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Cute CP, and a cute chapter to follow it up! Watching Ren and Napu is really fun, and seeing Magu-chan at the end was super funny. Ruru is a really nice girl who's easy to root for.
2. Ayakashi Triangle - This series has been absolutely slaying lately. Great designs for the ayakashi, and a pretty funny development on top of it. Suzu is starting to develop her powers nicely (take notes author of Phantom Seer!).
3. Mission: Yozakura Family - Now that it has been mentioned, it would be really humorous to see all 3 generations of Yozakura family head husbands in a room together. I hope we get to see that in the future. It was a pretty solid chapter, especially with that ending.
4. Undead Unluck - Really sweet chapter, especially with that ending. I wonder what's going to happen next, but I'm eager to see what it is.
5. Sakamoto Days - A nice follow-up chapter to the first one, even if the CP was a little lackluster. I'm glad the wife isn't going to be one of those "oblivious to the world around her" type characters. I still have some nice hopes for the series.

The best of the rest:
6. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - This almost made the top 5. Not only was it funny, but it actually made me feel pretty bad for the little sister. Don't try to grow up so quickly!
7. Mashle - Another pretty good chapter, and the divine visionaries seem to be a pretty interesting bunch. I hope we get to see some more from the magical creatures division in the future.
8. Me & Roboco - Decently funny chapter. It got some laughs out of me, but I wish it had more of the supporting cast.
9. We Never Learn - This chapter was alright, but nothing amazing. A lot of the moments that are supposed to bring about emotional reactions from the reader are just falling flat to me. This route has been better than Fumino's and Rizu's, but worse than Uruka's and Senpai's.
10. Moriking - Oh Shoko, I remember when you used to be relevant to the plot and the chapters used to be really funny.
11. Chainsaw Man - I'll be pretty surprised if this isn't barreling towards its conclusion. It feels like it could end at any second.
12. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - I like the kid, but that's the only good thing about the series. Also, is this supposed to have anything to do with the main plot? Seems like a randomly-placed side story.
13. Agravity Boys - First half was decent, but the second half of the chapter was awful. Whenever a chapter seems to have momentum, the author somehow finds a way to kill it.
14. Honomieru Shonen - The next chapter or 2 will probably be my make-or-break moment for whether I'll continue on with the series. At least the new girl was kind of cute.
15. Build King - I came incredibly close to not finishing the chapter after being assaulted with more toilet humor right at the very beginning. Didn't really find anything about the chapter all that interesting or funny.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
It would've been nice if Haikyuu made it into the top 3 for it's final year but still impressive.
Eventually sure. Didn't we feel the same way about OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.