Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Right now BC is what at 27 volumes? So it has around 2 volumes worth of content yet to be published as tankobon. In 2 years, which is what most WSJ titles whose anime adaptations are canceled get to "end" their runs, it would be around 40 volumes long.

40 volumes long (Well 42, specifically) was the benchmark that a very, very few manga in WSJ ever achieved, it was Dragon Ball's run (Although due to DB's shorter chapters it took it like 15 years, instead of the 9-10ish years it would take), it was also Prince of Tennis's, Rokudenashi BLUES's and Katekyo Hitman Reborn's run, all of them million sellers.

Toriko ran for 43 volumes, and it wasn't a million-seller, but it sold more than BC ever did. Obviously, with the times WSJ has let authors whose works don't sell as well as those of the 90s/00s and this is a trend that will continue as time passes and sales continue to diminish.

What I am trying to get to is that even if there aren't that many established manga right now, I really don't think Shueisha will allow BC to stay in WSJ past those two years, which again, is basically the time Shueisha more or less "gives" authors to end their series when their animes end.
-Also, two years from now there is gonna be at least other two "established" manga, we have talked about this countless times, time and time again "doomer" attitudes have been proven wrong.-

Back to the 'two year after anime gets canceled the manga gets "canceled"/wraped up/whatever you wanna call it" thing. It's pretty much a norm, go check a manga that ran in WSJ, regardless of popularity (Think Saint Seiya and Shaman King, the two most infamous cases), we have exceptions sure, think D-Grayman, Hunter x Hunter, Kochikame, but in the case of D-Gray and HxH (And I guess World trigger) the series didn't exactly get less popular when the anime was running, it was author's health problems that lead to they not being able to keep with their manga and thus the anime was left in cliffhangers (Not truly "cancelled" anime), and Kochikame is Kochikame.

Edit: Just as I posted this I remembered a manga that did continue for more than two years after its anime ended. BLEACH. Bleach, a series that for most of its run remained a pillar of Jump and was considered one of the most influential mangas/animes of the 00s. While I think that Black Clover's anime does have the audience BLEACH's anime had worldwide, I don't think it's nearly as influential as BLEACH was. And BLEACH was still selling way more than BC ever did, even without its anime.
 
Last edited:

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,437
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
The artist is so young holy shit. And yeah definitely heavily influenced by Horikoshi lol.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
the BC news is quite a shocker but from what I’m hearing it’s better to end it for now since it seems it’s reaching the manga’s current events. Guess it will just continue at another time.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,549
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Another two years of Black Clover would be 100 chapters.


With Tabata's quick style, you can tell a lot.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
The artist is so young holy shit. And yeah definitely heavily influenced by Horikoshi lol.
Initially, the only similarity I saw between Horikoshi and this guy was the Kotarou-lookalike. But as it went on, yeah, the kid was aping Horikoshi’s style. But at this point in their career, that’s not a bad thing. It just means whoever this is, is just finding their footing as they figure out the style that fits them most.
 

Jorden Rivera

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2017
Messages
392
Reaction score
724
Age
29
Country
United States
Late, but some people asked for it.

Ok If I didn't see the author's name at the bottom, I would straight up believe that Horikoshi drew this. It's cool cause I think that style, but wow. This looks cool though, can't say much for the story.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Won't quote all of you but I wouldn't praise a guy that has gone from having his own art style back with Rembrandt to literally copying other mangaka art styles such as Gotouge back with his GIGA one-shot and now Horikoshi. It's disappointing and it shows that his editor, Ishikawa, is not really properly guiding him. More so when he's just 19 years old. The guy's just wasting what was his art in copying pages from other manga and posting them on Twitter as some kind of artistic practice while losing any kind of original trace.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
4,779
Country
Dragonstone
Right now BC is what at 27 volumes? So it has around 2 volumes worth of content yet to be published as tankobon.
No, it currently only has 8 non-volume chapters, so it currently doesn't even have one volume worth of content yet to be published as tankobon (recent volumes of BC all had 11 chapters).
 

Phantom RPG

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2020
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
1,218
Age
28
Country
Brazil
So after seeing the previous mafia-themed one-shots, is it likely that we could potentially see one of them being serialized? If so my personal bet is on Vatu Lipepe by Takahata Yuu, since from what I witness observing the one shot, I would give the one shot a shot at being serialized compared to the other two, even though I have no idea as to what "Tsukumogiri Life" is about. Although considering no one even talked about it, I imagine that it was not all that it was meant to be.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
So after seeing the previous mafia-themed one-shots, is it likely that we could potentially see one of them being serialized? If so my personal bet is on Vatu Lipepe by Takahata Yuu, since from what I witness observing the one shot, I would give the one shot a shot at being serialized compared to the other two, even though I have no idea as to what "Tsukumogiri Life" is about. Although considering no one even talked about it, I imagine that it was not all that it was meant to be.
It was an atrocious mafia-exorcist-action oneshot with really subpar art and with the same chemistry of an edgy guy with a sword and a little ghost girl or whatever. Not even bothered with uploading it to imgur because I pretty much hated it.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Won't quote all of you but I wouldn't praise a guy that has gone from having his own art style back with Rembrandt to literally copying other mangaka art styles such as Gotouge back with his GIGA one-shot and now Horikoshi. It's disappointing and it shows that his editor, Ishikawa, is not really properly guiding him. More so when he's just 19 years old. The guy's just wasting what was his art in copying pages from other manga and posting them on Twitter as some kind of artistic practice while losing any kind of original trace.
As an artist myself I can say that every artist takes bits and pieces from other artist they’re a fan of. Sometimes imitation can help in developing your own style. Typically artist original styles are just a blend of they influenced meshed into one, resulting in a new look. And Ive met very little artist who had their definitive style developed and thought out at the age of 19

And to be completely honest, I think it’s being a exaggerated. It does look like he definitely was inspired by Horikoshi’s art with this one shot. But I don’t get everyone saying “I would have thought this was Horikoshi’s art if I didn’t know who made this”, or “this is a shot for shot recreation of Horikoshi’s style”. Aside from the character that looks almost exactly like Deku’s concept art it doesn’t look THAT similar that it’s indistinguishable lol
 

Ike79

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
120
Reaction score
372
Country
Spain
I very much enjoyed Black Milk. Nice to look at and the characters seemed fun.

The Horikoshi influence is undeniable, but also not consistent. There are some expressions that looked straight out of MHA, while others have a more unique style. What Raf says makes sense to me. It looks like Matsui is forcing himself to imitate other artists.

I don't think it's a necessarily bad thing for an artist in training to do that, but I do hope the art in an eventual serialization is more recognizable.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
1,214
Country
United Nations
Late, but some people asked for it.

And to be completely honest, I think it’s being a exaggerated. It does look like he definitely was inspired by Horikoshi’s art with this one shot. But I don’t get everyone saying “I would have thought this was Horikoshi’s art if I didn’t know who made this”, or “this is a shot for shot recreation of Horikoshi’s style”. Aside from the character that looks almost exactly like Deku’s concept art it doesn’t look THAT similar that it’s indistinguishable lol
Have another look at page 15 through 22 (of 24). It might not be indistinguishable, but it's really f***ing close.

Strangely enough, the first few pages feel a lot more unique. The similarities only become obvious (to me) around page 7-8, and then it gets worse from there. I hope next time he remembers to stick to his own style, because it actually looks really nice.
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
The artwork is nothing but an odd mash of multiple influences.

- The most obvious being Horikoshi. The general artwork for the eyes, mouth, expressions all hold a big resemblance to Hori's art. I'm not even gonna bother with this because this influence is plastered everywhere.
- The black haired dude is quite clearly an altered version (and a male version) of Isabella from TPN.
- And the female with the black hair has Yonagi's face structure (from Act Age) but with Horikoshi's style of eyes.

There are some more big similarities you can see with the face structures from various angles. But it'll be hard to share the right images and whatnot to share, so I'm not gonna bother with that.

It's just very odd. Nothing about that artwork is unique in a good way. It's just an odd mix of various different styles which makes it super odd to look at because all those styles are pretty different and from pretty big series (well not Act Age but it was significant in WSJ).

Really hope the artist finds their own style in the future.
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,431
Reaction score
39,280
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Actually surprised no one mentioned Haikyuu when it's even in the artist bio alongside MHA, there are many panels and angles that is totally Furudate influence, specially the black hair guy, his nose, hair and face structure is totally Haikyuu, the author art now is 100% a mix of Horikoshi and Furudate.

Btw, influences in the art is something the author just needs to work and he/she is super young yet but the one shot itself was actually interesting, promising stuff
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,072
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Praying hard that BLack Clover makes a triumphant return fast.

There was so much heart in the anime staff and also the voice actors, forever a fan of both JPN Asta and ENG DUB Asta.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,294
Reaction score
7,324
Age
33
Country
Scotland
How does Jujutsu's newest volume's sales compare to Bleach's peak for a new volume?

The Gege and Kubo collab in Jujutsu's upcoming fanbook has me curious if it's pulled ahead or not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top