Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Reread first pages from new chapter. Maybe I chosed wrong word but I cant help calling women talking about pleasure with 10ish boy edgy
Fairly realistic for the time period. And the line about “pleasure” was said more in passing, with the MC showing no interest what-so-ever, and largely ignoring all of the woman.
Maybe it wasn’t necessary, but I also doubt it was included for self-insert Power fantasy reasons, or to be edgy
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
From Kowloons' artist:

"Thank you for your comments. I went to a convenience store and bought the issue of Jump. I'm really happy because it's the first time in my 15 years as a mangaka to have my art featured on the cover of a magazine. I'll save it as a memento lol."

 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
damn, 15 years of working in magazines that puts coomers bait on the cover

15 years without a hit, I hope he can eventually find success, even if KBP doesn't work out

also, apparently he also worked as an assistant for Raiku on Gash Bell which is interesting
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The artist had a boxing manga in Gessan that lasted more than 2 years, so he's had at least a little success. Not a huge amount, but some creators never make it past 1 year of serialisation.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Kazuki Takahashi started working in manga (I assume as an assitant) in 1982 and only found success in 1996 with Yu-Gi-Oh! which went to become arguably in one of the most recognizable and lucrative Jump properties of all time, so you never know when a mangaka can get a hit, good luck to them.
 

samama10

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2021
Messages
100
Reaction score
99
Age
25
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
By the way in the recent authors comments. Yuki Tabata, author of black clover states that Oda drew a black clover character? Does anyone have the picture or will it be out in the new volume
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Sales by Series - 2/8~2/14

#1 Jujutsu Kaisen - 1,416,201
#2 Kimetsu no Yaiba - 474,210
#3 One Piece - 359,378
#4 Kimetsu no Yaiba Official Fanbook - 331,459
#7 Jujutsu Kaisen 0 - 144,501
#10 The Promised Neverland - 109,661
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Kazuki Takahashi started working in manga (I assume as an assitant) in 1982 and only found success in 1996 with Yu-Gi-Oh! which went to become arguably in one of the most recognizable and lucrative Jump properties of all time, so you never know when a mangaka can get a hit, good luck to them.
Speaking of which he's the veteran I would like to see return the most. I really dug THE COMIQ mainly for it's unique artstyle.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Sales by Series - 2/8~2/14

#1 Jujutsu Kaisen - 1,416,201
#2 Kimetsu no Yaiba - 474,210
#3 One Piece - 359,378
#4 Kimetsu no Yaiba Official Fanbook - 331,459
#7 Jujutsu Kaisen 0 - 144,501
#10 The Promised Neverland - 109,661
Jujutsu officially becomes the 5th series ever in Oricon's history to sell 10m+ copies in a year. (Vols 1-14)
 

Smilzyy

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Messages
91
Reaction score
1,006
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Shoseki 2/15
#4 Kimetsu no Yaiba Official Fanbook 2
#18 One Piece 98
#28 "Kimetsu no Yaiba" Gotouge Koyoharu's Artbook
#41 Death Note Short Stories
#384 Honomieru Shonen 2


Shoseki 2/16
#9 Kimetsu no Yaiba Official Fanbook 2
#18 One Piece 98
#28 "Kimetsu no Yaiba" Gotouge Koyoharu's Artbook
#53 Death Note Short Stories
#301 Honomieru Shonen 2
#399 Me and Roboco 2

#348 Honomieru Shonen 1

Phantom Seer:
V1: #76 -> #93 -> #170 -> #86 -> #130 -> #193 -> #229 -> #279 -> #288 -> #438 -> #320 -> #434 -> #351
V2: #30 -> #67 -> #66 -> #111 -> #128 -> #145 -> #155 -> #207 -> #224 -> #258 -> #283 -> #384 -> #301
 

Rheine

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
89
Age
33
Country
Indonesia
I wonder if Phantom Seer's excellent cover art helps push it slightly more.

...and if Roboco's weird gradient background hurts it.

Probably negligible, it's just my personal disappointment at Roboco's V2 cover speaking. :/
 

SeileM

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 29, 2020
Messages
46
Reaction score
34
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
From Kowloons' artist:

"Thank you for your comments. I went to a convenience store and bought the issue of Jump. I'm really happy because it's the first time in my 15 years as a mangaka to have my art featured on the cover of a magazine. I'll save it as a memento lol."

His art on the cover for his sukeban deka remake
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
12 TOC
Undead Unluck (Cover/LCP)
My Hero Academia
Jujutsu Kaisen
The Elusive Samurai
Me and Roboco
Nine Dragons' Ball Parade (CP)
Mashle
I Tell C
Dr. STONE (CP)
Witch Watch
Black Clover
Chou Nouryoku Inou-san (Oneshot/CP)
Mission: Yozakura Family
SAKAMOTO DAYS
Ayakashi Triangle
Magu-chan
High School Family
Phantom Seer
Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin
BUILD KING

13 Preview
Cover & LCP
: Mashle (26p)
CP: Me and Roboco, Ayakashi Triangle
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,546
Reaction score
15,705
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
At this pace I won't be surprised if we suddenly find Roboco getting a cover in April-May lol
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Main TOC takeaways:
  • Me & Roboco has its highest ranking so far at 3rd + getting a colour page again next week? lol (I'm happy!)
  • Sakamoto Days a little lower but it seems more common that the placement of a series after a colour page can go down so nothing major
  • Magu-chan in the bottom 5 but only just, meanwhile Phantom Seer remains third from the bottom for the third week in a row, and Hard-Boiled has dropped again
  • Build King all the way down at the bottom - I wonder if the votes are so poor that they'll choose to end it before they see how the first volume performs, that would be something.
At this pace I won't be surprised if we suddenly find Roboco getting a cover in April-May lol
Unless it doesn't explode Ayakashi Triangle and Me & Roboco getting covers for their first year anniversaries (#28 and #31) doesn't seem impossible, especially since Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin and (likely) Magu-chan will have ended by then.

For anyone curious here's the average ranking of series over the first 10 issues of 2021:
 
Last edited:

Rheine

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
89
Age
33
Country
Indonesia
I'm happy Roboco's getting third and CP. Though I agree that PS deserves more at this point - maybe we'll see it by issue #14, though, if issue #13 was already decided before the sale numbers came in.

BUILD KING at dead least again doesn't bode well for it, but I can't say it's unearned.
 

Ricool

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2020
Messages
69
Reaction score
202
Age
31
Country
France
For real, the way Nak treats Phantom Seer and Roboco is completely unfair

Roboco gets a small growth from big marketing (a video starring Roboco got 2 million views, but the volume only manages to sell 2k more first week...) and puts it in 3rd place, meanwhile Phantom Seer shows strong growth with almost no marketing (only one color page that was months ago), but Nak still doesn't give it any push and puts it in the back of the TOC

The only reasoning I can see behind this is "this series succeeds without marketing, so we don't need to push it, let's put it in the back", but this reasoning is just stupid...
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,546
Reaction score
15,705
Gender
Male
Country
Spain

Jujutsu Kaisen having full reprints in Spain. Seems the manga is rising worldwide, not just in Japan. I'm remembering the last month USA numbers too.

A pity we can't have full numbers here like in USA, France or Japan. It would be interesting to see how JJK is doing in Europe now compared with MHA or Kimetsu.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top