Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,546
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Magu and Yozakura are getting new volume in March so I'm expecting color pages in upcoming issues.

Also, my predict for covers right now is:
14 JJK, 15 Dr.Stone, 16. One Piece, 17. Black Clover, 18. My Hero Academia, 19. New series 1, 20. New series 2 (in substitution of Shark and another series).

Honomieru is going to be more or less safe but I'm going to worry if it doesn't get any single cp before issue 20.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
Happy to see Roboco getting another color page so quick, and Ayakashi is long overdue for another. Really looking forward to seeing Undead and Mashles covers and lead color pages.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But I have the theory that Phantom Seer most likely profits from the huge interest in Kimetsu no Yaiba and Jujutsu Kaisen. Both of those series have a lot of readers that only buy the volumes and don't read the chapters weekly in the magazine.
I dont know if that theory is sound, Kimetsu folks arent really buying jump or the traditional audience of jump magazine readers, they probably just watch the anime/movie, and bought the manga in the store because of the beautiful displays, same for jujutsu kaisen.

Unless PS is being positioned by these displays then most people are probably not seeing it or aware of it.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Seeing act-age rank that high is so bittersweet, I miss it so much.

PS is still in the bottom 3 which isn't surprising to me, I never got the impression over the past months that the editor was interested in promoting it.

Also I'm not enjoying the new batch, out of the 4 Witch Watch is the best but it doesn't stand out from other romcoms. Will be interesting to see which one ends up staying in the magazine
We could be talking about an AA anime by now and which VA gets what character...

Yeah, it seems PS is on its own to get enough fan support to survive which pretty harsh. :/

My fav first chapter was from the Nine Dragon Balls Parade. Sure, it was generic and pretty much the same as dozens of other sport series, but I liked that it made me interested in Baseball, because I tried to read series about this sport and I usually stop in the middle being bored outta my mind. It's just the first chapter so it might still happen later, but for now I enjoyed it the most. i tell c first chapter would be 2nd most enjoyed, WW 3rd and the elusive Samurai actually a prince would be last.
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
I dont know if that theory is sound, Kimetsu folks arent really buying jump or the traditional audience of jump magazine readers, they probably just watch the anime/movie, and bought the manga in the store because of the beautiful displays, same for jujutsu kaisen.

Unless PS is being positioned by these displays then most people are probably not seeing it or aware of it.
I think from what I remember, aren't manga in Japanese book stores usually sorted by genre. Also book stores in Japan are often recommending new manga from what I remember. So if there's book stores recommending it and it is in the exact same section as Kimetsu no Yaiba and Jujutsu Kaisen, I can actually see a lot of people buying a volume or two to give it a try. It might not necessarily be because it's a Jump series.

But who knows. This is just a guess and I could be totally wrong. But the only reason why I could see Jump ranking it so low, is if it doesn't do well in weekly polls. This is the only logical explanation I can think of, that would explain, why it doesn't do well in polls, but still sells well.
 

Bodoro

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
209
Reaction score
240
Age
25
Country
Canada
Nice that Roboco and especially Ayakashi (has been a while) are getting color pages.

I hope phantom seer gets a color page soon. Would be nice if it got a boost on the TOC too but it is what it is. Not like PS is in danger when Dolphin, HSF, Magu and probably Build King (assuming it flops) are the cushions for it, but yea a CP would be nice for its success at least.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
It seems places 11-50 for Oricon 2020 have been ranked.

13th. DR.STONE - 3.207.503
15th. Chainsawman - 2.609.745
22th. Act-age - 1.874.974
28th. Black Clover - 1.470.115
31th. World Trigger - 1.326.881
48th. We Never Learn - 798.202

It's amazing in a way to see Black Clover ranking below Darwin's Game
And now that we have individual volumes:

168th. BURN THE WITCH - 229.948
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
So looking foward to Mashle's cover, so happy that it has made it this far. With or without sales, BK is in a very bad spot. And PS still is bottom 3, this getting more annoying by the week, give it a color page already.
 
Last edited:

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
And now that we have individual volumes:

168th. BURN THE WITCH - 229.948
Nice, do we know now how Burn the Watch compares to other WSJ first volumes sold in a similar timeframe?
 
Last edited:

KiMiTo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
345
Reaction score
578
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Build King is pretty much done for. The question is when exactly it'll be axed? Maybe when it have enough chapters for volume 2.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Build King is pretty much done for. The question is when exactly it'll be axed? Maybe when it have enough chapters for volume 2.
I thought it would get the Illegal Rare or Robo x Laserbeam treatment and given 30-40 something chapters for being from a good selling vetran.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I thought it would get the Illegal Rare or Robo x Laserbeam treatment and given 30-40 something chapters for being from a good selling vetran.
It'll probably depend on how many new series there are next round, since if there's just 2 it'll likely be safe but 3 new series means it's dead.

Honestly I kind of want to see 3 new series start next batch for the novelty of having 3 veterans get axed at the same time.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
It'll probably depend on how many new series there are next round, since if there's just 2 it'll likely be safe but 3 new series means it's dead.

Honestly I kind of want to see 3 new series start next batch for the novelty of having 3 veterans get axed at the same time.
Eh, I don't think that would happen, I think Magu will be leaving before they axe Build King.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I don't think they'll axe Magu-chan's unless it suddenly drops to the bottom permanently past this issue, it's been doing quite well when you judge it ToC wise. It's worth keeping in mind that, if not for Roboco, Magu-chan would maybe be the best performing new gag manga since 2013 by a good bit even with its sales not growing in v2 (I think Samon did better? but it seems more of a half and half kind of series like Yozakura's first year).

Especially considering Nak's in charge who even has total sales flops like David, Japan, and Moriking get to their mid-30s. Heck Mitama lasted almost a full year despite selling badly in v1 and dropping each further one. With a different EiC maybe it'd be at high risk right now, but I don't Nak will let it go unless it's consistently losing sales between volumes or doing badly in the ToC.

In a couple more batches it'll maybe be in danger depending on how many new flops we see (especially if sales don't improve), but I think it's fine for the moment unless it's ToC gets really bad over the next few weeks or v3 performs very badly.
 
Last edited:

Ike79

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
120
Reaction score
372
Country
Spain
It's worth keeping in mind that, if not for Roboco, Magu-chan would maybe be the best performing new gag manga since 2013 by a good bit even with its sales not growing in v2.
Taking into account that all we have to go with are Shoseki estimations, there's no grounds to say that Magu's sales are any better than Agravity Boys. There's only a difference of 200 volumes between one and the other (for first month sales).
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
While I do think that PS sales and reception are not anything special

If they're going to treat it like a flop then the same should be applied to titles that sells less than it

even if I believed Roboco to be popular online or whatever, who in the world would believe HSF reception is better?? who in JP even read it?? I don't think I've ever seen it being discussed over there beyond chapter 1

it's just playing favoritism
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,118
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I don't think they'll axe Magu-chan's unless it suddenly drops to the bottom permanently past this issue, it's been doing quite well when you judge it ToC wise. It's worth keeping in mind that, if not for Roboco, Magu-chan would maybe be the best performing new gag manga since 2013 by a good bit even with its sales not growing in v2 (I think Samon did better? but it seems more of a half and half kind of series like Yozakura's first year).

Especially considering Nak's in charge who even has total sales flops like David, Japan, and Moriking get to their mid-30s. Heck Mitama lasted almost a full year despite selling badly in v1 and dropping each further one. With a different EiC maybe it'd be at high risk right now, but I don't Nak will let it go unless it's consistently losing sales between volumes or doing badly in the ToC.

In a couple more batches it'll maybe be in danger depending on how many new flops we see (especially if sales don't improve), but I think it's fine for the moment unless it's ToC gets really bad over the next few weeks or v3 performs very badly.
There is no way to keep magu if it doesn't sell well, all these manga that you mentioned mitama and moriking only lasted so long because 2020 was an atypical year.
With the completion of 6 manga and the cancellation of act age, it took many people by surprise.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Ok so Kimetsu got to 1 million with 20 volumes out.


MHA got to 5million with 23 volumes.

And I distinctively remember BLEACH having sold 1.2 million BUT it was announced a looooong time ago, very likely even before 2010 lol... Gonna have to look for concrete evidence, but I am pretty sure there was an advertisement for the milestone in an issue of American Jump or something like that.
EDIT: Found an article that mentions the 1.2 million figure I said. The article itself is from may 2008, BLEACH had, at that time, 22 volumes out in the US, so 1.2 million with 22 volumes (But I assume the news was published around 2007, so BLEACH probably had 1.2 million sales with less volumes, maybe 20 or so).

Any other noteworthy USA WSJ titles sales we have? I'd love to know how Jojo has sold for example.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Spring Weapon sold worse (and I think also placed worse on average) than Magu-chan yet lasted a year and a half. If Magu-chan can keep up the decent ToC placement and not drop in sales too much, it'll hang around (I'm confident Agravity Boys would still be going strong now if it ranked a little better).

Though honestly I think there'll be enough total flops among the new series that both Magu and Phantom will be safe for a while (provided they don't start performing worse). I can't see either getting to 2 years unless they noticeably improve in the area each is lacking, but there should be enough stuff failing that there'll padding at the bottom each round (until we see another big batch that is).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top