Chapter - Shingeki no Kyojin 139 FINALE Chapter Discussion | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Chapter Shingeki no Kyojin 139 FINALE Chapter Discussion

What do you think about the ending (you may change your vote later)?

• Total voters

Ratedhook522

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Am I the only one who sees the ending sort of giving the vibe of Mikasa living a single life? Cause I feel that’s how it ended her living on paradise island till a ripe old age going to that tree every so often and sitting there remembering Eren.

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
If Jean and the others turned back to Humans, shouldn't the Wall Titans also revert back to Eldians from 100 years ago, instead of simply dissolving?

Wookitake

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I liked it. I *really* need to re-read it all..as soon as I can, I'll do it.
Let's say it was a 8.5/10 ending.

Lil meen

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I don’t know why but the more I read it the more I absolutely love this ending. Honestly at this point I would go as far as to call it a good ending. This chapter was jam packed with powerful and emotional scenes and honestly is the most realistic ending imo even if it isn’t ideal. Now that I think about it, I am super glad it didn’t have the edgy “eren kills everyone because he bad person now”. I feel (many people will disagree) it would be an injustice to the characters and make it to empty. I mean don’t get me wrong I like a good dark ending but even then it just doesn’t feel right for me. I like that eren wasn’t this psychotic killer and still had feelings for his friends and I feel that was where the big dissapointment was. Eren wasn’t this heartless and cold killer yet we wanted him to push to a place he clearly wasn’t at. Even with all of what he went through, he still had a heart somewhere.

Also I see complaints about erens efforts being pointless as the war still goes on which I think is hypocritical. Y’all want this “dark and realistic” ending yet when u get a dark and realistic ending just not the way you want it y’all get angry. I mean I think it really plays into the theme of the cycle of hate. That the war is never ending, and maybe eren was the one in the wrong. Maybe there is no “right and wrong”. Maybe there is no “good and evil”. There is nuance to humans, there is more than meets the eye, and maybe we just see our adversaries who attack us as evil not knowing there full story. And the fandom just proves Iyasama point with all of the Gabi hate and Yeagerist.

Eren wasn’t this awful dude but he definitely wasn’t a saint here. The same could really be said for most characters here. Attack on Titan isn’t this “good vs evil” tale it is a war manga from a perspective of one of the adversaries. Y’all see a character that you grew up with done wrong “eren and sasha as notable examples” and just look at them and say “good people” and look at the other side and say “criminals”. Eren has killed countless children, babies, disabled, elderly, and women throughout the manga willfully and with insufficient remorse.

Sasha has killed a bunch of people in war. Now look at it from Gabis perspective, she has been brainwashed and taught this ideology all of her life and has witness all of the carnage, violence, and massacres. Sasha is a main character to us but just another opponent to Gabi. Lets be real, if the entire manga was from Gabis perspective and we saw the full extent of Eren’s wrongs through her perspective would you look at eren the same.If Sasha had absolutely no development and was just a background soldier would you care as much.

Dont you people see, the bigger picture shows that war makes us all monsters and makes us all good and heroes at the same time. Heroes to our side and villains to the other and vice versa. It is a continual pointless battle of ideologies and hatred. As long as people are closed minded and just do as there raised instead of looking at the other side, the cycle will continue for eternity.

So yes what Eren did was pointless, that is the point. His hatred and ignorance due to his trauma caused him to make matters worse. This can be heavily applied to real life and the continual cycle of hatred as we only see people through a single lens.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

This is why I say with confidence attack on titan is one of the best manga of all time, if u look deeper then the superficial lens, you see that this story is really exactly like the world we live in minus the titans of course.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Can't say I liked this ending. We went from eren going rogue, to eren being a genocidal maniac to him pretty much turning himself into the devil so as to trick people into peace. Which I am pretty sure half the people here thought was a possibility. And a shitty one at that. Add to that a bit of ymir manipulation to the mix which... did something? I am not exactly adverse to sad endings but it really feels like eren deserved better than this.

What even was what ended everything? The parasite dying or eren being beheaded? It's also plainly offputting to see mikasa just walking away with eren's head. After having kissed it. And gaby didn't even die ffs.

To me this manga ended at about the time eren and the gang discovered the truth beyond the walls in grisha's basement. Everything after that is shit.

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can't say I liked this ending. We went from eren going rogue, to eren being a genocidal maniac to him pretty much turning himself into the devil so as to trick people into peace. Which I am pretty sure half the people here thought was a possibility. And a shitty one at that. Add to that a bit of ymir manipulation to the mix which... did something? I am not exactly adverse to sad endings but it really feels like eren deserved better than this.

What even was what ended everything? The parasite dying or eren being beheaded? It's also plainly offputting to see mikasa just walking away with eren's head. After having kissed it. And gaby didn't even die ffs.

To me this manga ended at about the time eren and the gang discovered the truth beyond the walls in grisha's basement. Everything after that is shit.
Seriously why do people hate gabi so much yet just brush off all of the innocent people killed by eren. All of the trauma and broken families he caused. And you guys are triggered because gabi killed “best girl”.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Seriously why do people hate gabi so much yet just brush off all of the innocent people killed by eren. All of the trauma and broken families he caused. And you guys are triggered because gabi killed “best girl”.
I am not brushing off the people killed by eren. In my post i specifically mention how much I dislike what the author did with him and how everything after the truth of the world was found out was terrible. And fuck gaby, she sucks.

pamuchi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I think most of the complaints rely on the expectations that weren't met. Like Eren mass killing everyone, the baby being his and that edgy stuff. (Specially Eren being the father, like if this wasn't literally explained in one page, but people decided to believe in the red herring instead of what was written).

Also I wouldn't have minded that Isayama gave more hints that Eren truly loved Mikasa, all their interactions felt ambiguous and more like an older sister/younger brother relationship most of the time. If this had happened, that dammed page wouldn't feel like a fanfic.

And for the rest of the chapter, it was fine. I truly appreciate Levi's character conclusion, the real highlight of the chapter.

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel the fandom (like always) is missing the bigger picture. I found this comment that encompasses my opinion greatly but idk how to post screen shots so I will credit him.
Keyevin Ratonel

Some people really did not understand the ending: The ending is really good.
1. Ymir was in fact in love with king fritz even if she was abused. Remember she saw someone kissing and thought this was what love felt like. So when King Fritz decided to make her his woman, for the first time she thought she found love. That's why she was so loyal with King Fritz even for 2000 years. And that is also the reason why she found peace when mikasa killed eren because of love. She saw in Mikasa that love is doing what is right and not just become a slave of one's lover even if the lover is already doing something terrrible.

2. For eren, it is not totally out of context, eren was never the level-headed guy since the beginning, he was always rash and driven by emotions. Apparently, when he saw that people of paradis will die by Marley's attack (after he kissed Historia's hand) he was driven by that desire to save his friend especially mikasa and armin. It all boils down to a circle why eren kruger said that to save armin and mikasa you have to break the cycle. So he was suffering alone, tell me if someone sees that everyone you know will die of an impending attack what will you do?

3. Farmer kun being the father was already mentioned before, it was only delusional and toxic fans who think erehisu is a thing made a big deal out of it. Historia already fulfilled her role in Eren's plot. The reason why eren told grisha not to kill rod reiss is because historia will not come to the picture and make him see what will happen in the future since only historia is the remaining member of the royal family who can activate the power of the founding titan which reside inside eren.

4. Eren allowing Dina to attack his mother was also for the cause of saving humanity. You may think that it goes against his character but understand that eren's desire to save all of paradis outweighed his desire to save his mother I know its awful but he was also the dark horse of aot. Something that is already expressed in eren's unstable character.

5. Eren was, for once, selfish when he told Armin that he does not want Mikasa to love other guys. He did everything for everyone and not for himself. Honestly, this ending is one of the best. It justifies love in this cruel world and one's own selfish desire. People expect eren to ONLY be a hero but he is also human. Like any other human he loves someone and wants to be with her. It made me cry.

As I stated if you guys stop looking at the ending on a surface level and really look back on the events and themes of the series, y’all would know this is a good ending. But meh, this ending is to good for this awful fandom anyways. Can’t expect anything less from the “mAh CgI” people.

Last edited:

Karnak

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Well, I guess that's it!

It was weird to see Henge and Erwin disappear like those Men of the Mountain from Lord of the Rings. It was nice to see fine ass Sasha be back though and smile.

The gang looked pretty nice in their suits. It sort of reminded me of the Bleach cover art. Historia looked nice as a farmer and also a queen... weird. Reiner seems to like her and is being a creep smelling the paper. They'll probably take her away from the schmuck that she's married to lol. Then, we got a cameo from Hitch and Sasha's family and also that news reporter guy.

Wheelchair Levi being pushed by Falco and his doctor is Okapon? lmao

Mikasa grew the hair out again and Eren is a bird now. :emobirb

Goodbye, Attack on Titan. It was fun...:thumbs

Ratedhook522

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Anybody have the letter Isayama wrote at the end of the chapter to all the readers translated? As for my rating on the ending, I give it a 7-7.5 out of 10. Could have been better tbh but hey that’s Attack on Titan for you, a manga filled with tragedy. Best regards Isayama, looking forward to whatever your next work is. Who knows we may get some kind of a sequel in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

cremino

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I liked Armin and Eren conversation even if it comes off as cheesy sometimes but it revealed Eren more insecure side.
I'm not sure how to feel about the Ymir-Mikasa parallelism, maybe it's meant to be touching but given what we know about Ymir's background now, it has some iffy implications on the Mikasa-Eren relationship. It would have been better if their relationship had been developed more in the manga.
Historia ended up being completely useless in this arc which is disappointing. Her pregnancy had no importance to the story and it should have never happened in the first place

Midak

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Historia ended up being completely useless in this arc which is disappointing. Her pregnancy had no importance to the story and it should have never happened in the first place
I believe Historia's character development was completed after she became queen. Among the main cast, aside from the Reiss arc, she had almost a secondary role for most of the series.
One could argue that her baby was the backup plan afterall. A lot depends on how much Eren trusted his visions. However, she seems happy with the baby in this chapter.

Still, I think the fandom went way too far into theories for this baby, although I would also "blame" a bit the "you are free" panel which ended up being not as relevant as we expected.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
If Jean and the others turned back to Humans, shouldn't the Wall Titans also revert back to Eldians from 100 years ago, instead of simply dissolving?
Hm dunno if someone replied to this alrdy (still backreading), but maybe those people turned back to humans 'cause they were still 'young' as humans. The dead ones stayed dead (Erwin, Petra, Hange, Sasha, etc). Same way, a 100y old human would be dust nowadays depending on the age he/she was once turned. Like... the humans that originated those colossals were long dead.

Also I wouldn't have minded that Isayama gave more hints that Eren truly loved Mikasa
I do agree with this, that we somewhat lacked more hints to it, but I also think Isayama dropped enough content for us to be able to realize that. Pushing Mikasa and Armin away was obviously forced, and we also had moments between Eren and Mikasa when Eren seemed to "slip". Such as:

He was shocked, but not averted. And then:

----------------------------------------

And the famous moment in Marley that people imagined could have been a turning point in the course of events, had Mikasa confessed.

And well some other silly jealousy displays...

Wishing he had more time after looking at each other~

Someone also pointed out that while recollecting memories, Mikasa always had the biggest shares in his head.

Shad

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
On first read I get the impression that they are 2 issues that needed to be resolved for AoT to end:

- Ymir/Path/Space Worm:
The space worm is not even mentioned this chapter!!! For something introduced recently that I really didn't care about, I'm happy in a way to see Isayama push it under the rug as well, we never needed the space worm for the story to work I guess?

Ymir loving Fritz was an unexpected explanation for me, but it does make sense it seems.

- Eldian / Human Circle of hate
Eren went with plan lelouch.

I see people complaining about Eren and the ending, if you only looks at the Eldian/Human issue then yeah Eren could have done better but Eren priorities are:
1 - Follow Ymir's will, Ymir is a god, if she wants something to happen because of selfish reasons, it not Eren a subject of Ymir controlled even before he was born that will stop her.
2 - Use Ymir's plan in a way that at least protect his friends life and freedom.
3 - Try to kill as few people as possible to achieve 1 and 2

About Mikasa/Ymir, except for the fact that I'm wierded out by Mikasa kissing/hugging/walking around with Eren's head.
If we go with the Love explanation, I get the impression that Ymir would be influenced by Mikasa's actions.

I can't believe I never thoughts that Eren used the power of the FT to erase memories, did anybody theorize this, is so obvious in retrospect.

Not to rumble, I will post more thoughts when I can, need few days to process.

Last edited:

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
Hm dunno if someone replied to this alrdy (still backreading), but maybe those people turned back to humans 'cause they were still 'young' as humans. The dead ones stayed dead (Erwin, Petra, Hange, Sasha, etc). Same way, a 100y old human would be dust nowadays depending on the age he/she was once turned. Like... the humans that originated those colossals were long dead.
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Ymir (Historia's friend) for example, was like 100 years old. Once someone becomes a titan, their ageing process gets frozen.

So, the colossal titans should return to whatever age they were, when they were transformed by the founding titan.

AndyTheAMPanda

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I think the fandom went way too far into theories for this baby, although I would also "blame" a bit the "you are free" panel which ended up being not as relevant as we expected.
The panel sure is part of why there was a lot of speculation regarding the baby plot point, but it wasn't only that. The story gave a lot of (now unnecesary) details surrounding Historia's pregnancy, and babies have somewhat been featured constantly in ways we though carried symbolic weight (the baby in the third intro, the panel of Grisha holding newborn Zeke, king Karl and his child) only for nothing to be done with it. IIRC, people who went to an AOT's final exhibition were given some out of context spoilers of the finale in audio form, and a baby's crying was among them. I think if we would have been told just once that Historia got pregnant to buy Eren time, we wouldn't have payed much mind to that subplot.

This could be me speaking as a way to cope with my feelings of ambivalence with the story's conclusion, but the fact that the "final panel" didn't turn out to be that important in the end makes me somewhat suspicious that some last minute changes were made to the story's resolution. Mainly because while Isayama has misled us readers before, leaking an almost irrelevant panel and calling it the very last one seems like a very cheap move even for him. But maybe I'm reaching, and in the end it doesn't matter since we got what we got.

requiem46

Reaction score
Country
Spain
The panel sure is part of why there was a lot of speculation regarding the baby plot point, but it wasn't only that. The story gave a lot of (now unnecesary) details surrounding Historia's pregnancy, and babies have somewhat been featured constantly in ways we though carried symbolic weight (the baby in the third intro, the panel of Grisha holding newborn Zeke, king Karl and his child) only for nothing to be done with it. IIRC, people who went to an AOT's final exhibition were given some out of context spoilers of the finale in audio form, and a baby's crying was among them. I think if we would have been told just once that Historia got pregnant to buy Eren time, we wouldn't have payed much mind to that subplot.

This could be me speaking as a way to cope with my feelings of ambivalence with the story's conclusion, but the fact that the "final panel" didn't turn out to be that important in the end makes me somewhat suspicious that some last minute changes were made to the story's resolution. Mainly because while Isayama has misled us readers before, leaking an almost irrelevant panel and calling it the very last one seems like a very cheap move even for him. But maybe I'm reaching, and in the end it doesn't matter since we got what we got.
I think it was mostly due to the "final panel" that we cared so much about Historia's baby. In the story there aren't really many references to this baby: we see pregnant Historia along Farmer, next chapter we see the MP raging about having gotten pregnant without marriage and with a lowborn scum too, with Nile defending Historia's free to choose whoever she wants. They theorize she did it to avoid eating Zeke and because Yelena told her.

Next, we see ch130 that it was actually Eren who told her about the MP plans (although she was aware of them), and it's she who brings up the baby topic. We don't know if she asked Eren to be the father and he refused, or if it was more of an announcement to Eren that she was indeed already pregnant in the first place, as I think the wording in Japanese was purposefully ambiguous. The next we saw was the baby being born and she was probably a contrast to cliff baby being close to death: Historia's baby is a symbol of Paradis future, and Cliff baby is a symbol of the world's future.

So yeah, I think we over analyzed the relevance of Historia's baby: it didn't really have much screentime in the first place

cremino

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I believe Historia's character development was completed after she became queen. Among the main cast, aside from the Reiss arc, she had almost a secondary role for most of the series.
One could argue that her baby was the backup plan afterall. A lot depends on how much Eren trusted his visions. However, she seems happy with the baby in this chapter.

Still, I think the fandom went way too far into theories for this baby, although I would also "blame" a bit the "you are free" panel which ended up being not as relevant as we expected.
Well, I think her being swayed by Eren into agreeing with his plans without much difficulty does negate a bit of her character development. She looked miserable when she was pregnant like she was almost forced into doing it