Anime - Nanatsu no Taizai The Movie: Cursed By Light (Subs out) | Page 12 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Anime Nanatsu no Taizai The Movie: Cursed By Light (Subs out)

Mighty Escanor

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Interesting wall of text as always @Undina. Nice job :verily

Where was that officially stated?

The movie is seemingly about wedding, relationships, and new villains.

I'd rather we got Elizabeth's version of SD than a 4.0 possession(also counting Mael's situation with the 4 TC)

Or she's been specifically drawn facing away because that's actually Elizabeth in SD form, proving she meant that "I'll fight you..."

It would be her altered temper and personality in choosing less harmful methods than straight out murder...maybe she only unlocks a somewhat inferior form to her mother's(and I would accept that, if it comes with personality-driven motivation) and that also explains why she has to share front line with her husband and brother-in-law.

If she unlocks her SD form, the latter detail could be worked through, but do you think Nakaba cares to go there?
I really like your idea. That we are fooled to think she is SD, while minute differences are hints towards the actual event in the movie. But you know what. They've perhaps spend much more money on the brothers' attack scene then the entire season 3 and 4. I don't think Nakaba will ruin the final moment of Meliodas. Elizabeth deserves to have her moment in movie, but she is not Meliodas (Nakaba's persona in NnT world) unfortunately. Good theory by the way. :verily

I disagree with this bit, since main characters, even in adventure stories, will not always also be action figures, or always directly involved(but the main storyline revolved around the consequences of her romance with Meliodas and they were there for the whole development of it, just unequally developed by themselves).
Nakaba did start out her portrayal as a main female who needed development, just like the sins, regardless how OP the Sins were or with a rep preceding them, and just got lazy, ran out of ideas or started hating her for whatever reason down the road...he did almost the same thing to Diane and even to one of the main antagonists...the SD...ironic, isn't it? Just because the writer fails to properly write a part of their story doesn't really change their role in the story. It's just that for Meliodas and some of the mains Nakaba applied the show don't tell, and for her the opposite method in background, range of abilities and potential.
Wait, I think there are some Escanor and Gowther fans with cents to share on treatment of mains too.

I do believe Elizabeth is due her SD transformation at this point, whether she loses the power-up or not, by the end of the movie...Nakaba used to build one of the most interesting puzzles with her character, he should complete it once and for all. He built up for Merlin(and will likely continue in the sequel), he did for Meliodas, King, Ban, to some extent for Escanor(even if he basically wiped him out over borrowed power) and Gowther too(I think there's still room for him in the sequel, though, his oddity could make him a good pop-in/pop-out mystery helper and supporter-he has to make up for traumatising the boys with too vivid memories from their parents)...he should just complete the portrait of the source for half the dread
I'm not talking about action figure tbh. I'm one of those who was really pissed when the bloody revelation of bloody Ellie just came out of blue to make her relevant momentarily. Elizabeth and Diane were the best characters to show the other aspect of life in the war stricken world of NnT. THE FACT THAT NAKABA COULD NOT USE THEIR POTENTIAL TO THE FULLEST AND DEMOTED THEM TO MERE WEAPONS IN SOME RARE CASES (EX MACHINA TO BE EXACT) WAS A BAD MISTAKE.

But why she can't be a main character? NnT doesn't have a single main character to begin with, and it's hard to tell if a specific individual is a main or a side character. But if you look at the problems Meliodas and Elizabeth are facing with, you can clearly see that they are walking down a specifc path together, and most of their problems and challenges are similar. They share the same adventure while their points of view differs greatly. Meliodas is willing to make the universe his enemy to protect Elizabeth, and Elizabeth is a loyal lover who is trying to bring peace and make the world a better place for everyone. While Meliodas is more of an action figure as you said and conveys the meaning through his sword and fist, Elizabeth looks at the same picture with passion and empathy. Her most brilliant moment was saving the Indura when everyone had either lost hope or was ready to kill them. We can talk about her role in that event for hours to clarify what her existence means to NnT. (Diane had the potential to have the same strong impact on the story but she was reduced to dirt for no reason.) Ellie also shined brightly when her actions saved several knights from both enemies (demon army) and abusive allies (brainwashing AAs).

Her importance is undeniable, and SIDE CHARACTERS are very important most of the times from a writing stand points. But since she shares the same storyline with Meliodas and the one who bears the burden of story is Meliodas, Elizabeth who provides valuable alternate actions/decisions in face of challenges and dilemmas becomes a side Character by definition. If she was chosen to be the protagonist, then Meliodas would be the side character to her plot.

Side character differs greatly from useless character! A main character like Escanor or Diane can end up being useless, while side characters like Xhivago and Demon Gowther prove to be irreplaceable and invaluable elements in the story. So I still think of Elizabeth as a side character for Meliodas' plot, a side character of great potential who was treated unjustly because of the author's weird decisions.

Gowther had a nice story in terms of consistency and development. The problem is that he reached the end of his journey right after the holy war flashback and there was not much to do for him for so many chapters. Although his internal struggle was addressed one last time in the fight against 4C Mael, but that was not an actual problem for Gowther due to his completed story one chapter after the flashback. He was the first Sin to have his story concluded, and the fact that he was just there to help others without going through further development made him less interesting. With a more balanced pacing this would've never happened to Gowther in the first place. The polar opposite of Gowther would be Escanor then. His final moment happened right before the actual climax leaving him no room to have a meaningful acceptable ENDING. (His death is not the bad thing by itself though.) Diane's story had no proper ending at all while Merlin's entered the sequel to reach its climax there.

Last edited:

Son Detective Asurei

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like her to get a new cool power up cause she definitely deserves it and it’s over due but I’m not holding my breathe on that one. But who knows could be wrong.
Honestly, I have to be frank. You're right that Elizabeth does deserve a power up, BUT it would be only because she's the secondary main MC and the daughter of the SD. In terms of training and merit-wise, especially merit, she's beyond the idea of deserving a power up. She'll get it ONLY for who she is, not for what she has achieved, which is minimal.

Zorra_akuma

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, I have to be frank. You're right that Elizabeth does deserve a power up, BUT it would be only because she's the secondary main MC and the daughter of the SD. In terms of training and merit-wise, especially merit, she's beyond the idea of deserving a power up. She'll get it ONLY for who she is, not for what she has achieved, which is minimal.
The sad truth but youre right

Undina

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Romania
And that happened because Nakaba chickened out of developing her further after giving us the hints and clues towards her also being Liz...then Barbarellie, Goddess Elizabeth/Bloodstained Ellie. He could've really worked from the first clues on Liz, but he didn't want to. Oh, well, we'll see how the movie turns out...the design for Dahlia dangles my hopes over a dumpster, though, Idk whether to laugh or reconsider my tastes in fantasy shounen.

FKS

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
France
New draft pages:

Text:
Ooh... this weapon...

What's the sensation I'm having?
It's as though

the magic power is being drawn out...

Hey, let's be serious and not overdo this!
I know.

I... Iron Hammer of the Thunder Emperor!

Rising Tornado!

Son Detective Asurei

Reaction score
Country
United States
And that happened because Nakaba chickened out of developing her further after giving us the hints and clues towards her also being Liz...then Barbarellie, Goddess Elizabeth/Bloodstained Ellie. He could've really worked from the first clues on Liz, but he didn't want to. Oh, well, we'll see how the movie turns out...the design for Dahlia dangles my hopes over a dumpster, though, Idk whether to laugh or reconsider my tastes in fantasy shounen.
That, but also it's because it's a shonen. Shonen never really has been a massive encouragement for strong female characters because of its formula and style; thus, the story relies solely on the creativity of the mangakas of said series to make up for the need of good female characters. But even that's a stretch since it's a very well-known fact that a major chunk of shonen mangakas really aren't that up to snuff when it comes to writing or understanding female characters.

sobreno

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Djibouti
That, but also it's because it's a shonen. Shonen never really has been a massive encouragement for strong female characters because of its formula and style; thus, the story relies solely on the creativity of the mangakas of said series to make up for the need of good female characters. But even that's a stretch since it's a very well-known fact that a major chunk of shonen mangakas really aren't that up to snuff when it comes to writing or understanding female characters.
The target audience doesn't want to see that as well, so there is that.

Son Detective Asurei

Reaction score
Country
United States
The target audience doesn't want to see that as well, so there is that.
Not everyone. Shonen Magazine and Sunday do have a record of typically trending towards that more than Jump.

Zorra_akuma

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes but he probably got a new one later on.
The theory I have is that in the manga it was said that Meliodas made his big sword that he used while in stigma so theoretically speaking I could Zeldris being able to make his own weapons as well and being that he probably like that sword he just fixed it himself
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
This applies to a lot of characters though?

Meliodas didn't train for the power to break the curse, he was simply given it because of the same reasons you've outlined for Elizabeth. Just one example.

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The theory I have is that in the manga it was said that Meliodas made his big sword that he used while in stigma so theoretically speaking I could Zeldris being able to make his own weapons as well and being that he probably like that sword he just fixed it himself
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I frankly can't tell if it's the first time I hear about the duration, but now it's a bit worrisome.
The good thing is this movie doesn't trigger that much anticipation and every new bit of info tell us no to expect much from it. This lessens the amount of any possible disappointment in the future lamo. But the movie is still the final story, our true final buh bye to our beloved NnT no matter how we loved or hated it. I don't want an everlasting bitter taste in the mouth! It's not the time to make a practical sick joke about a bad memory that's eternal like Chaos!
Hopefully, we'll find about it soon enough ...

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I frankly can't tell if it's the first time I hear about the duration, but now it's a bit worrisome.
The good thing is this movie doesn't trigger that much anticipation and every new bit of info tell us no to expect much from it. This lessens the amount of any possible disappointment in the future lamo. But the movie is still the final story, our true final buh bye to our beloved NnT no matter how we loved or hated it. I don't want an everlasting bitter taste in the mouth! It's not the time to make a practical sick joke about a bad memory that's eternal like Chaos!
Hopefully, we'll find about it soon enough ...
What is worrisome exactly? Movies are usually around 1 hour and 30 minutes long.