- Joined
- May 29, 2022
- Messages
- 353
- Reaction score
- 798
- Age
- 24
- Country
-
Hi! I am late to this thread.Rachel is depicted as a normal human being. She’s someone with whom you can sympathize and feel more related to. These characteristics are from a good character but maybe not enough to be likable. She looks pathetic. The word pathetic has been written all over her mediocre face. Maybe, the best term to describe her might be ‘tragic anti-hero’. Hero because SIU does not want to make her an antagonist at the end of the story but an ally to the protagonist somehow. An anti-hero may be an outcast or a villain from the point of view of society, the cast, or even the audience, but with whom many audiences can sympathize. Tragic heroes are central figures of the story who are not admirable or likable and whose actions may even be deplorable. If she's a tragic hero (I'm not sure about that), she will never overcome her inner demons and will get destroyed by them. The flaw will win in the end.
She’s out of tune with these weird characters. In a fantasy world where power is everything, everyone looks super powerful compared to her. She’s out of place in this world. Maybe, she could be much better in a drama but not here. If a character with these qualities wants to survive in this world, she should have huge plot armors. She should have strong connections to achieve her goal without being special. You can’t justify these connections just by the title of ‘irregular’ without saying what’s so special about her (remind you of her description by Gustang and Headon). SIU has made her a mysterious character who knows a lot about Bam. Bam can’t have access to this information about his identity and because of that, he should follow her. She will reveal information bit by bit to be relatable to the story.
As Androssi and Khun have said, they didn’t understand Bam and Rachel's relationship. You might try to understand their relationship, but you’re not able to fully understand it. After all, who’s been in his situation? There is only one person in your life and she’s the center of your universe? She’s like the meaning of his existence and life. Something in that order of importance.
Let's look at Khun's dialogue with Evan about his relationship with Bam, which is somehow can help to understand Bam and Rachel's relationship:
Khun: “Life itself may not have any real meaning, you know? Is being obsessed with breathing and blood flowing through your body really living? In order to find a meaning for me being born and living, don’t I have to find something more important than that? If something comes up where I have to put my life on the line to go with it, what meaning would the rest of my life have if I were to miss that? Right now, I feel like the end of the world will come if Bam isn’t here. I can sort of understand how Bam felt waiting for Rachel every day. He probably felt the world would end if Rachel disappeared. I never thought I would understand their relationship. This is insane.” (Looks like their relationship was not enough and SIU added a similar ridiculous relationship like that to the story, this time for Khun).
For around 400 chapters, this relationship was the major driving force for Bam. I can understand it and accept Bam’s simping until some point not until more than halfway through the story. That is why their relationship makes readers frustrated. Half of the story was about the emotional aspect of the relationship, and the other is about revealing secrets about their past. At least I hope I don't see that painful cycle of simping, again.
P.S.: 1: I took the term “tragic anti-hero’ and its descriptions from The Writer’s Journey by Christopher Vogler. It’s a great book, but unfortunately, I have only read its hero section. It’s about archetypes that writers have used at different times and in different cultures.
2: As I said I used hero because I thought SIU has planned this for Rachel from the beginning. Although, there is some evidence for this they are in no way conclusive. Maybe, he just sees her as a driving force for Bam or maybe something more. Blogpost Chapter 226: “On the relationship between Bam and Rachel… Since Rachel is the one who can shake up Bam the most Perhaps it’s Rachel’s role to drive the change in Bam.” In the story, she’s an antagonist who is against the protagonist, Bam, fighting for the same goal. Or SIU understands the concept of antagonism differently from me. I used 'tragic' because I always thought she would have a tragic end. I'm not sure anymore. I have doubts that SIU will write a tragic ending for her favorite character when he doesn't kill unimportant characters.
3: I see some people attribute the characteristic charisma to Rachel to prove something about her irregular position. This is a subjective characteristic. Some can feel it, some cannot. It has been proposed some characteristics of charismatic leaders aside from that innate quality but Rachel is not qualified enough to meet that criteria. And the purpose of those characteristics is to explain the feeling we have toward charismatic leaders, which returns us to the first point, a completely subjective characteristic. We have three occasions, as long as I know, the characters talked about having strange feelings for her. The first one was Androssi. She felt she was from a different world. Second, the traveler felt something dangerous about her, and the last one, De Jah on the Floor of Death felt an ominous feeling.
4: Her most important characteristic I can think of, which is useful, is breaking rules because of being irregular. SIU intends to save her character by giving Emily to her.
5: An anti-hero doesn't mean the opposite of a hero. They are special kinds of heroes who are unlike conventional ones.
Your points were pretty interesting.
When I first saw Rachel, I thought she was really cute ( I started reading TOG due to the anime).
She has been really complex. Sometimes I sympathise with her, sometimes I hate on her.
I feel like she has been stuck in a vicious cycle ever since the Test floor.
Most people mention her backstabbing as the worst thing. Personally, I would say that in Tog atleast one member in a team is like that.
What really drives my hate towards her is that she is always whining about herself and has zero guilt about anything she does.
It's like if you show her a person with 99 problams and 1 good thing then she would point her finger at that 1 good thing and say, " Why don't I have that? God is unfair. "
What makes her hatable is her personality but sometimes people take it a bit too far with simultaneously hating on her appearance ( I can understand people are just kidding but still..)
But at the same time, I think something is wrong with "Rachel Defense Force" trying to justify her actions and arguing that " Rachel did nothing wrong".
When it comes to relatable and flawed characters, there are a lot of them out there, it doesn't have to be Rachel. ( I mean it's kind of concerning if you relate to Rachel too much).