One Piece Power Level Discussion Thread

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Ground Rules for the Power Level Discussion Thread
​

As always, please follow the guidelines set by the Forum Rules that apply across the board.

It's important that discussions from a current chapter are spoiler tagged until 24h have passed from an english release.

  • For the sake of constructive discussion, where and when possible please quote/ source any information you provide. Particularly when it comes to conversations carried over from other threads.
  • Avoid passive agressive posts, sly remarks or baiting/trolling. You can certainly have fun or disagree without it being at someone's expense.
  • Only use anime examples that are canon and as means to provide clarity to pages in the manga. Any other anime material is otherwise non-canon and should only be referenced if it can be proved that the mangaka had approved it.
  • We will strive to avoid repetitive discussions and any extensive battle topics will be guided to the Davy Back fight to existing threads or new ones can be made there.

As of now these topics are shelved due to repetitiveness or until the manga can present us with material to further discussions:

  1. Shanks v Mihawk
  2. Hand to hand fighters > Swordsmen
  3. Zoro > Luffy
  4. Zoro v Sanji
  5. Is Smoker a top 30 character?
  6. Mihawk's rank within the story
  7. Law having CoC currently.
  8. Katakuri > Kaido/Luffy/Etc.

If you wish to continue any of these discussion and remove it from the list, you will need to provide manga material as proof. If there's also anything you think we've covered numerous times, let me know and I'll update the list.

This is the only warning there'll be regarding these ground rules, anything no adhering will be removed. So please just check your posts before posting them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Traffy Law

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 27, 2018
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
3,519
Age
31
Country
United Kingdom
Luffy will almost definitely always be stronger than zoro though I don't think the difference between them is ever particularly large. The difference between them right now is arguably the largest it's ever been and even then the implication is that zoro going all out can fight at roughly the yonko tier, however for a short time. Most of zoro's fights end with zoro having at least some leeway. Through most arcs luffy ends his fights having fought to the last of his stamina, literally unable to take another step after. We see this against rob lucci or doflamingo. Meanwhile zoro pretty much casually walked out of his fight with kaku and later on picca. Against picca zoro used one of his stronger techniques but he barely took hits and didn't even need azura. In the end the plot actually requires zoro to become a fully realized yonko level fighter and he appears to be a single BS haki powerup from that for the most part.
Nah part 1 fight against kaku was mid/high diff , kaku was going blow for blow and injured him a bit actually and pressured him multiple times
Pica deff was a low diff
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Well tbf at the end it really depends on the final boss
Mihawk does seem pretty up there
He’d be a tad below luffy regardless but close
Mihawk already indicates it would be similar to Roger and Rayleigh

No need to think beyond that
 

XXGenesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
3,135
Reaction score
1,885
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Turkmenistan
List is pretty solid.

Major Push Back:
Shanks & Mihawk both should be placed Higher in the tier.

Marco isn’t Admiral lv; He’s more YC1+ with his Feats & Portryal.

Sabo for sure is above YC1. He’s fought twice with an Admiral, & walked away.

Magellan. Magellan is easily YC1+ because Him & Shiryu were equals & Magellan is haxx

You have a lot of Ppl in YC3

NitPicks:
Sanji had difficulty against Queen; To put him above King/Katakuri much better fighters =\…He’s relative & very comparable. Not above
 

Core D. Roy

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
7,363
Reaction score
9,272
Age
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
List is pretty solid.

Major Push Back:
Shanks & Mihawk both should be placed Higher in the tier.

Marco isn’t Admiral lv; He’s more YC1+ with his Feats & Portryal.

Sabo for sure is above YC1. He’s fought twice with an Admiral, & walked away.

Magellan. Magellan is easily YC1+ because Him & Shiryu were equals & Magellan is haxx

You have a lot of Ppl in YC3

NitPicks:
Sanji had difficulty against Queen; To put him above King/Katakuri much better fighters =\…He’s relative & very comparable. Not above
I've started using a googledoc for easier (?) viewing and have been moving some things around. And just getting rid of the sub-divisions and using colors to differentiate areas of S/A/B/C/D tiers instead. S is sorta nebulous in general unless we're talking about Primebeard/Roger/Garp, and A/B tiers relying on YC1+/1/2/3/4 is kinda silly since that means scaling everyone not in S tier against two pirate crews- only the Big Mom Pirates and Beasts Pirates have that sort of structure. Colors get the point across I think.


Shanks and Mihawk may be pushed higher depending on what we see from them in the future; I wouldn't doubt it.

Marco is put at low S tier because of the Gorosei seriously talking about whether or not he was going to take over Whitebeard's position. Also I firmly believe the only reason he didn't have an easier time against King and Queen is because he was hemorrhaging stamina keeping the Ice Oni virus at bay from like hundreds of people at the same time. Marco is a character that constantly has to be nerfed in battle because of how ridiculously strong he is.

Sabo I may also place higher depending on next time we actually see him in action. If anything I might nudge him up to where I have Ace (who is *painfully* difficult to powerscale). Also I kinda refuse to use Fujitora in Dressrosa as a resource for scaling. He was never fighting seriously, he was basically just there to put on a show to his higher ups and slyly help the pirates depose Doffy without being directly responsible.

That's because below the peak of B tier (around YC3 and below), it starts to get overpopulated in general. That's just how it works- few characters at the peak in S, more characters knockin' on the door at A, and waaaaay more characters in the New World littering B.

Sanji had difficulty before his genes activated. After that happened he absolutely massacred Queen pretty quickly.
 
Last edited:

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
It's interesting that the one difference I've noted that I have with most power-scalers is that I put current Blackbeard at the pinnacle. I wonder why most people undersell Blackbeard at this point.

Why is Koby so high ranked?

During the Levely, he was impressed by Kyros:



While not canon, going by film Stampede it seemed he didn't stood a chance against Hina:

 

albertwv

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2019
Messages
865
Reaction score
797
Age
30
Country
United States
WB's MF feats are probably the best ON-SCREEN feats we have seen in OP. Kaido's come second but almost equal. I noticed that in order to take down a Yonko, several handicaps were in placed for WB, Kaido, and even BM. They all went through several elite opponents and rounds, well WB and Kaido at least more so than BM, there was deception/surprise attack to injure them, no actual fair 1v1, and were holding back in some manner (WB couldnt go all out and Kaido was keeping the island afloat) and for Kaido and BM, there were external natural factors that ultimately put them down (the lava).

I am a firm believer that Gear 5 Luffy is still not above Kaido.
Actually, even after their fights against major opponents, I still place the Monster Trio at the same level but slightly ahead of their respective opponents.
For example:
After Enies Lobby, Luffy was slightly only stronger than Lucci but not by alot (actually, Luffy lost that fight but thanks to Usopp's power of friendship he got up)
After Dressrosa, G4 Luffy was still similar to Doffy's power level. It would still be a high-diff win for Luffy
After WCI, G4 Snakeman Luffy was equal/slightly inferior to Katakuri's power level (IMO Katakuri won that fight), not until Udon training did Luffy surpass Kata
After Wano, G5 Luffy is still weaker than Kaido, which makes sense because there is still room for grow because I believe Kaido > everyone else including Akainu and BB

Same goes for Zolo and Sanji. I still see them as strong as King or Queen. I dont think Sanji could defeat King and I think Zolo would still have a hard time defeating King
 

Lord Traffy Law

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 27, 2018
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
3,519
Age
31
Country
United Kingdom
I think at the very least kaido is more impressive than WB for the following
Considerable more stamina endurance and durability obviously it’s impressive what WB could do with age and disease starting to cripple him but he couldn’t use kings haki(and by extension king coating) and advanced observation anymore
Kaido had better haki , and durability and stamina than marineford WB
Kaido ain’t getting stabbed by squard the sword would snap or bounce off
The lasers and other things wouldn’t Pierce him
The only issue would be the attacks from akainu but he’d essentially survive
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Why is Koby so high ranked?

During the Levely, he was impressed by Kyros:



While not canon, going by film Stampede it seemed he didn't stood a chance against Hina:

Think I’d take stampede with a grain of salt , I think it was somewhat impressive that he and Blackbeard were the last ones standing with boa at Amazon lily
He said Kyros is tough because Kyros is strong , luffy himself as well as doflamingo said Kyros is strong , he’s strong
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Think I’d take stampede with a grain of salt , I think it was somewhat impressive that he and Blackbeard were the last ones standing with boa at Amazon lily
He said Kyros is tough because Kyros is strong , luffy himself as well as doflamingo said Kyros is strong , he’s strong
But Koby has practically no feats

IMHO the way he reacted to Kyros implies Kyros would be on a different level than his

Koby didn't really accomplish anything on Amazon Lily, other than not being turned to stone. And it's not like he was immune to Boa's ability, so I think he was just lucky. Or maybe because S-Hawk was in front of him.

And most important of all, Koby character was never about him being strong
 

Core D. Roy

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
7,363
Reaction score
9,272
Age
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Why is Koby so high ranked?

During the Levely, he was impressed by Kyros:



While not canon, going by film Stampede it seemed he didn't stood a chance against Hina:

1) Coby is being a humble good boy

2) Kyros actually is pretty strong, I just got sick of putting Dressorosa characters on my table

3) Most importantly: I have two Coby's: the post-TS Coby we saw just before Reverie, and the Coby I presume he'll be in a post-Wano world where his growth will need to keep up with his contemporaries; there can't be zero younger Marines that are rising up the ranks with explosive growth and if anyone is, that'd be Coby

4) Is that scene from a movie or something? Either way, I doubt it was a serious fight and also Hina herself (and her DF for that matter) is quite strong
 

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haha wait until we see post Wano Smoker and Coby. They will be YC level powerhouses. There will not be any explanation it just will be
Would be funny, but I think Oda has made a point of making Smoker look weak post-TS. He literally went from getting owned by Law, to getting owned by Vergo, to getting owned by Doflamingo. Coby's growth has been exponential since he parted ways with Luffy so I could see that.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Once Luffy got his 100 million bounty, Smoker wasn't that powerful compared to Luffy.

His Logia intangibility is what make him a troublesome opponent for Luffy. Once everyone was using Haki, Smoker lost his pedestal.
 

XXGenesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
3,135
Reaction score
1,885
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Turkmenistan
I had such High Hopes for Coby!….SMH idk how this Kid is gonna get in the game this late. If Koby ever gets to a YC lv I’ll be satisfied.

Smoker, meh! He was kool. The amount of impact he has or can have on the story has dwindle so has my interest...Smoker ain’t making it into the Big boi leagues…Would have been kool if he attained YC lv earlier.
 

DeadlyBeast

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 3, 2014
Messages
3,089
Reaction score
3,975
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Would be funny, but I think Oda has made a point of making Smoker look weak post-TS. He literally went from getting owned by Law, to getting owned by Vergo, to getting owned by Doflamingo. Coby's growth has been exponential since he parted ways with Luffy so I could see that.
Smoker definitely has been getting 💩 on post time skip but he narratively is still staying important. As a younger marine (compared to admirals and old timers) he is being propped up to be the future Aokiji (a compassionate justice not the lazy part of things). I think Oda will compromise by making him YC level fighter but still gets poor portrayal by having him fight against Yonko level fighters.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Nah part 1 fight against kaku was mid/high diff , kaku was going blow for blow and injured him a bit actually and pressured him multiple times
Pica deff was a low diff
Sure, it wasn't an easy fight, but the fight did instantly end once azura came into play and zoro walked out of it. Kaku didn't come close to matching azura. In most cases when luffy fights he ends up on the ground being unable to take another step.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Smoker's got one more opportunity to prove himself given that we're in the end game. Hopefully, he pulls his weight when the time comes. Luffy did imply he wanted to fight Smoker at some point and wanted to do so when he (Smoker) was at his best, so Luffy/Oda has high expectations for him. At least, that's how I read that scene in Punk Hazard.

Coby? Eh, I'm still not sure. He may have missed the bus.
 

Core D. Roy

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
7,363
Reaction score
9,272
Age
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Smoker's got one more opportunity to prove himself given that we're in the end game. Hopefully, he pulls his weight when the time comes. Luffy did imply he wanted to fight Smoker at some point and wanted to do so when he (Smoker) was at his best, so Luffy/Oda has high expectations for him. At least, that's how I read that scene in Punk Hazard.

Coby? Eh, I'm still not sure. He may have missed the bus.
I have high hopes for Smoker too, but there ain't much to go on except he's *really cool*.

Last we saw of Coby he had explosive growth. Dude can swim underwater like a top-tier and effortlessly intercepted a torpedo. Wasn't even out of breath when he got out of the water to greet that princess.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Last we saw of Coby he had explosive growth. Dude can swim underwater like a top-tier and effortlessly intercepted a torpedo. Wasn't even out of breath when he got out of the water to greet that princess.
To clarify, I more so mean he's missed the bus on showing something that'll keep him relevant within the growing power scale. His rate of growth is amazing, similar to Luffy, Lucci, Zoro, and Sanji, but I'm just not sure he's going to reach their current level of power (not that he'd reach Luffy anyhow) in time for the final war.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Last we saw of Coby he had explosive growth. Dude can swim underwater like a top-tier and effortlessly intercepted a torpedo. Wasn't even out of breath when he got out of the water to greet that princess.
That's isn't an impressive feat by One Piece standards... someone like Sanji could do that pre-timeskip
 

albertwv

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2019
Messages
865
Reaction score
797
Age
30
Country
United States
Would not be surprised if Smoker and Coby came back and were YC1 level...seems like everybody nowadays is YC level.
But you see at least with Smoker I would understand, although he 's taken several beatings by YC3 level and below, THAT shows growth. Not unlike Kaku or Lucci who popped up out of nowhere this far into the story and were YC1 level.

Out of Smoker and Coby, I see Smoker being closer to Admiral level EOS than Coby. Coby will have to take some miracle power drug to become relevant to Luffy's strength.

Post TS Smoker was still strong at that time. I would argue he was at least equal to Sanji, since Vergo > Smoker & Vergo > Sanji. So if he resurfaces, I expect him to be at least YC3 level.
 
Top