Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,466
Reaction score
39,374
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Gah, One Piece, Naruto, Eyeshield, Shaman King, Prince of Tennis, Hikaru no Go, Bleach, Black Cat, Bobobo, HxH, and Whistle! such a nostalgic lineup. Even if I'm not a Naruto or Bleach fan, this lineup just reminds me so much of my childhood elementary-middle school days.
Plus fantastic series I read a bit later like Rookies, Pretty Face, and Stone Ocean.
It actually mirrors quite well with the current moment of the magazine (of course in a waaay lower sales level) where it had literally only Sword Breaker as the flopped newbie (it wasn't ranked at that issue yet) and all the other series were either veterans or popular newbies, Bleach was just 54 chapters long lol
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
WSJ knows the general survey results long before we do after all.

It's possible its position tanked and stayed very low right after they had already decided upon the cover and it was too late to switch, or something like that.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,466
Reaction score
39,374
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
WSJ knows the general survey results long before we do after all.

It's possible its position tanked and stayed very low right after they had already decided upon the cover and it was too late to switch, or something like that.
Problem is that if you look at both series rankings prior to the cancelation, it wouldn't justify such a drastic action, it's similar to how Double Arts just went from being the big newbie star getting the magazine cover & 43 extra pages at chapter 13 to suddenly getting axed just 10 chapters later for being like 3/4 weeks in the bottom, it's just completely out of normal even for the older Jump standards, and i just reopened @Newkerzy wounds by mentioning DA 😅
 
Last edited:

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Problem is that if you look at both series rankings prior to the cancelation, it wouldn't justify such a drastic action, it's similar to how Double Arts just went from being the big newbie star getting the magazine cover & 43 extra pages at chapter 13 to suddenly getting axed just 10 chapters later for being like 3/4 weeks in the bottom, it's just completely out of normal even for Jump older standards, and i just opened @Newkerzy wounds by mentioning DA kkkk.
Eff you @Shinuki no Reborn. I’d rather had DA over Nisekoi any day.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,466
Reaction score
39,374
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Eff you @Shinuki no Reborn. I’d rather had DA over Nisekoi any day.
Crazy thing is that Naoshi could have actually used his influence after Nisekoi success to try reboot Double Arts even if in another magazine since it actually had good sales, but well...
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,466
Reaction score
39,374
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why you gotta kick me down like this?? :scry
Just saying, he really could have tried that, the manga sold well at the time, pretty sure a reboot would be popular, but apparently he wants to be forever known as only the Nisekoi author lol
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I also would like to see Kubo trying to reboot Zombie Powder, with all the money and fans he got from Bleach, could easily do that and even get a anime.
 

Qukiqq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2023
Messages
761
Reaction score
1,352
Country
England
There are so many aspiring mangakas from awards to submitions. Yeh I don't work in the Jump office but cmon, yall can do way better at picking. Picking Murakami author was just beating a dead horse
Mangaka with huge flops coming back isn't rare.

Golem Hearts, Bone Collection , Ole Golazo , Koi no Cupid , Mutou Black , Beast Children , E-Robot and Devilyman were all were huge flops and debuted outside of the top 100 on shoseki but the mangaka got a chance to come back
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Mangaka with huge flops coming back isn't rare.

Golem Hearts, Bone Collection , Ole Golazo , Koi no Cupid , Mutou Black , Beast Children , E-Robot and Devilyman were all were huge flops and debuted outside of the top 100 on shoseki but the mangaka got a chance to come back
Look Look Look, I don't wanna sound like an ass but if Jump is picking something like THAT for the 1# magazine of Shonen. BRUH.... his art improved alot but his writing and all... is just not it
 

Hawke

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Messages
709
Reaction score
1,926
Age
28
Country
Vandenreich
always fun to see Black Cat mentioned, it's one of the first anime I ever watched and also one of the first manga I ever read

I'd put it as a dark horse (cat?) pick for WSJ manga that deserve a remake and Yabuki is established enough to warrant that if anime production companies were ever looking for a WSJ remake. Also him and my GOAT Shinohara are related by marriage and I find that an incredible fun fact.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
always fun to see Black Cat mentioned, it's one of the first anime I ever watched and also one of the first manga I ever read

I'd put it as a dark horse (cat?) pick for WSJ manga that deserve a remake and Yabuki is established enough to warrant that if anime production companies were ever looking for a WSJ remake. Also him and my GOAT Shinohara are related by marriage and I find that an incredible fun fact.
Black Cat is so fucking good. Definitely some nostalgia talking, but I think it still holds up as a fantastic battle manga. Would love to see a new anime remake, or even a new manga sequel for Jump+.
 

echo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2023
Messages
693
Reaction score
1,392
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Pretty lame color pages this issue, how unfortunate.

The overreactions to this ToC are hilarious as expected. When 3 of the bottom 5 all get CP's at the same time of course the ToC is going to be a little screwy. The most notable thing here imo is Kiyoshi getting the top CP while Kill Blue is all the way at the bottom despite a CP. Oh, and Hakutaku is 100% dead but that was already assumed before this week.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Wait, really? How??
shinohara wife and yabuki 2nd wife are sisters
it's a tweet from 5 years ago that was post on the r/manga subreddit which the tweet has been deleted


Straight from the author himself too, that's 2 for 2

Ayakashi Triangle
Kentaro Yabuki



I’m honored to be serialized with Shinohara Sensei, who has become my brother-in-law! I’m excited!
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
shinohara wife and yabuki 2nd wife are sisters
it's a tweet from 5 years ago that was post on the r/manga subreddit which the tweet has been deleted


Straight from the author himself too, that's 2 for 2

Ayakashi Triangle
Kentaro Yabuki



I’m honored to be serialized with Shinohara Sensei, who has become my brother-in-law! I’m excited!
Ah. I had a feeling I heard about that somewhere. I just needed to confirm it, that’s all. Thanks!
 

Hawke

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Messages
709
Reaction score
1,926
Age
28
Country
Vandenreich
Black Cat is so fucking good. Definitely some nostalgia talking, but I think it still holds up as a fantastic battle manga. Would love to see a new anime remake, or even a new manga sequel for Jump+.


It's actually so good to look back at because I think the animation's aged really well (manga art is naturally fantastic) and holds up well today. I remember the filler being very good too because I did a reread like 2 years ago and felt like bits were missing that the anime filler had that expanded a lot of the surrounding cast who deserve way more screentime.
shinohara wife and yabuki 2nd wife are sisters
it's a tweet from 5 years ago that was post on the r/manga subreddit which the tweet has been deleted


Straight from the author himself too, that's 2 for 2

Ayakashi Triangle
Kentaro Yabuki



I’m honored to be serialized with Shinohara Sensei, who has become my brother-in-law! I’m excited!
This is actually the closest to a family dynasty in WSJ I think, (Shinuki or someone more knowledgeable feel free to correct) unless we stretch and consider manga power couples who were big in WSJ and other manga magazines like Togashi and Naoko Takeuchi. Assuming this is true, it's kinda wild given the magazine's long history we've never had mangaka related to each other, like surely a parent-child pair (or any other relation) would've popped up somewhere.
 

kitakaze

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Messages
83
Reaction score
11
Age
29
Country
Vietnam
Will Kill Blue surviver in next batch? I doubt that.
 

KrenKren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Messages
1,465
Reaction score
3,840
Age
21
Country
United Kingdom
Will Kill Blue surviver in next batch? I doubt that.
Next batch is probably Yozafam & Hakutaku. KB is by no means performing great but if it ever is actually getting axed it'd be after that.
 

EnriqueR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2023
Messages
158
Reaction score
170
Age
35
Country
Spain
My votes:

1. Akane Banashi
2. Blue Box
3. Kagurabachi

4. Sakamoto
5. Chojo


Also enjoyed Ichi, Shinobi Undercover and Murakami. Sad to see this last one go, some chapters have been quite good. My favourite was the one with the nightmare.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top