Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2025) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,432
Reaction score
39,282
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Moderator Notice:

WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP THREAD RULES​

1. No fights or personal insults.
2. No bait or troll comments with the intention of annoying or starting heated discussions, if i notice it, i will warn the user or delete the comment.
3. No toxic attitude towards series, no one is obligated to enjoy any series and it's totally fine to criticize what you don't like, just avoid posting gratuitous hateful or toxic comments about X or Y series, if i notice this behavior, comment will be deleted.
4. Don't bring politics or off-topic stuff to the thread, this is about Weekly Shonen Jump magazine and mangas, so keep any conversation about topics that aren't relate about anime & manga outside the thread.
5. Don't post news about series from other magazine or publishers in the WSJ thread, post in the series own thread, but it's fine if you're mentioning other series or magazine to express a opinion or reflection about Shonen Jump.
6. Any tweet, specially japanese, about news, update or some interesting thing about the magazine or series has to come with a text of what that tweet means and also be on topic, if not it's going to be either deleted or i will edit the post.
7. No self advertising or advertising Youtubers videos in the comments.
8. Fanart posts just for the sake of posting is prohibited, this rule doesn't apply for official art by Jump artists posted on social media, they're fine to post
9. Don't discuss or hype chapter spoilers before Sunday release, only comment if is related to a series surviving status and do it only inside the spoiler tag.
~ Shinuki


I hope everybody read these rules and follow it without problem, the comment will soon be sticked at the top of the thread to be visible in every page, so if any doubt about what to avoid doing, just check it, also if i feel like any new rule has to be added in the future, i will do. Thanks!

Obs: Rules about fanart edited!
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Idk, Jump+ maybe. but I doubt WSJ proper given both of his serializations were bombs and got horrid reception. Red Sprite imo might be one of the worst Jump battle manga ever serialized. Just an amateur clusterfuck.
Jump doesn't care about that
Bone Collection was received horribly and the author came back immediately after its cancellation with an even worse work Do Retry, which became a meme duo to how bad it was

and you're massively underestimating how popular Hitoner was/is
it's probably their most popular oneshot since Ruri, might be bigger than Ruri oneshot, they would be crazy not to do anything with it
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Jump doesn't care about that
Bone Collection was received horribly and the author came back immediately after its cancellation with an even worse work Do Retry, which became a meme duo to how bad it was

and you're massively underestimating how popular Hitoner was/is
it's probably their most popular oneshot since Ruri, might be bigger than Ruri oneshot, they would be crazy not to do anything with it
Most Jump mangaka don't come back if they have two failures in a row as a rookie. You mostly only see veteran mangaka who can have more than two failures keep coming back around.
Regardless, I wouldn't trust him to pull it off as a series. Iron Knight was also a super popular oneshot, he dropped the ball hard though when it came to serialization.
 

KrenKren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Messages
1,464
Reaction score
3,839
Age
21
Country
United Kingdom

It's a shame they probably wont have much for the series at JF this year
Next time for sure, we'll get a cool stage with tons of cool stuff...
And it has been done! Nue's Exorcist MV has reached 100k views on youtube!
Those Jump MVs are always so high quality it scares me
I'm glad it's a model they seem to be sticking with, I rewatch this one frequently
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Most Jump mangaka don't come back if they have two failures in a row as a rookie. You mostly only see veteran mangaka who can have more than two failures keep coming back around.
Regardless, I wouldn't trust him to pull it off as a series. Iron Knight was also a super popular oneshot, he dropped the ball hard though when it came to serialization.
Really think that 3 attempts is pretty much the limit/cutoff point. If there’s one thing I‘d point to as Horikoshi’s lasting legacy, it’s probably this. That, and the death of long-running shonen anime shows.
 

pennycryman

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2023
Messages
1,180
Reaction score
3,389
Age
26
Country
United States
Really think that 3 attempts is pretty much the limit/cutoff point. If there’s one thing I‘d point to as Horikoshi’s lasting legacy, it’s probably this. That, and the death of long-running shonen anime shows.
Nah, he’s completely right. There’s never been a case where an author of 2 immediate flops has come back for a third attempt. All third attempts come from authors who have had their work survive at least a round (For Horikoshi, OumaZoo survived one round)
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Nah, he’s completely right. There’s never been a case where an author of 2 immediate flops has come back for a third attempt. All third attempts come from authors who have had their work survive at least a round (For Horikoshi, OumaZoo survived one round)
Ah, is that so? Looks like the bar is a bit higher than I thought. But yeah, I still think Horikoshi pretty much set the standard for incoming authors.
 

Nuesmoker

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 28, 2024
Messages
1,469
Reaction score
3,352
Age
27
Country
Italy
This week's Nue chapter...

THOSE. FUCKERS.
 

KrenKren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Messages
1,464
Reaction score
3,839
Age
21
Country
United Kingdom
I get the feeling last weeks Kagurabachi LCP was intended for this chapter (lol)
 

Zest00

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2023
Messages
401
Reaction score
766
Country
Gotei 13
You know what? This is the first Nue's Exorcist chapter that made me despise the Fujino family. I mean, sure, Kawae gave us glimpses of their past, and I disliked them, but this chapter just straight-up boiled my blood with their personalities.
 

Nuesmoker

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 28, 2024
Messages
1,469
Reaction score
3,352
Age
27
Country
Italy
Absolute baller week
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
4,779
Country
Dragonstone
I have to say, Syd Craft is slowly growing on me. It didn't have the strongest start, but the characters are likeable enough, Tsutsui's comedy is very solid and it's an easy read to come back to.
 

Hawke

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Messages
704
Reaction score
1,894
Age
28
Country
Vandenreich
haha no way, Nue's Exorcist just straight up transformed into Bleach-lite that's kinda sick

decent issue, some strong stuff in this. 100% just had my favorite One Piece chapter in a year or two, this one was just chef's kiss.

Also really big fan of Shinobigoto and Syd Craft both just really hit some sweet spots for me (did Syd Craft straight up lift a character from Trails to Daybreak LOL??) I'm really hoping both stick.

Will probably write some more detailed thoughts on other chapters later, but I'm like really excited for this current lineup (even hakutaku despite being 99% axed for sure and making a meta titanic joke about it...)
 

BelTL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2024
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
1,469
Country
Gotei 13
hmm
1. Yozakura
2. Kagurabachi

that's about it
 

KrenKren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Messages
1,464
Reaction score
3,839
Age
21
Country
United Kingdom
New Announcement PV for 2025 Demon Slayer movie


First movie will be Akaza, right? It's been a minute since I last read Demon Slayer but if Rengoku got people bad, I can't imagine what cinemas are gonna be like for the entire second half of that fight. Gotouge was seriously in her element.
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
621
Reaction score
1,690
Age
40
Country
Italy
1. Ichi the Witch: I keep loving how hunting and magic themes keep intersecting. The mushroom hunt was exciting as it was, but the ending part was even more exciting and shuffled the deck a lot.
2. Akane-banashi: The exhibition was so good it made me hungry. What came later was harsh, but a prelude for greater things to come. This flashback is doin'great.
3. Syd Craft: Love is a mistery: This series is winning me over. We can't have a detective series without a phantom thief after all, and Syd Craft as a sort of detective Saitama is working for now. The true MVP of the chapter was of course the greatest art piece in history, the pizza in a vase.
4. Blue Box: Chinatsu has one hell of a strong character, it's not for everyone to admit themselves to be jealous like that. The dad definitely saw everything.
5. Mission: Yozakura Family: Finally the most insipid antagonist in Yozakura history has been defeated, and for the first time he realized how insipid he was. Kyoichiro appearing in the end to save the situation. (yes, the chapter was good but not "oh my God that's crazy" good and yes, early leaks hype should disappear from this topic)
6. Hima-Ten!: Those two are both so clumsy that you can't help but rooting for them...if the Hima-Ten route will be the winner, the author is doing a bad job at making us believe that. Inner-Hono-blush!!
7. Kagurabachi: A good aftermath chapter where we learn a number of things before moving into the next mission. In the end those guards weren't the usual cannon fodder... I mean, they still can be, but at least in a different way than the others.
8. Ultimate Exorcist Kiyoshi: Usually I am not a fan of breather chapters, even if I understand their importance with breaking the pace when it's needed. But this time it was nice to see the gang have some fun once in a while, and I loved the tease of serious situations that turned out to be comical instead. Second week in a row that Jump misses the opportunity for a crossover with Thermae Romae.
9. Witch Watch: The plan of the warlock was very clever, expecially the signal for his partner. I am enjoying the flashback, but not as much as I did with that long serious arc that changed everything.
10. One Piece: I don't know why, but I didn't get that emotional for this reunion...I am more into some deserved Usopp time for this island. I read somewhere that we waited the same amount of real time years as them for this meeting: if deliberate, that was very cool.
11. Astro Royale: For an arc that ends, another one is already open and is a fetch quest arc no less. How convenient for them to have all the information they need ready for the very first family meeting on the subject.
12. Sakamoto Days: That is a good battle and everything, but last week a certain old man arrived at the scene, and I want to know more about that.
13. Shinobi Undercover: Not the most exciting of chapters, I suppose it was all a setup for the new mission revealed at the end. When is Yodaka shooting those hoops? I am disappointed by the lack of hoops.
14. Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: Mr. Guy ends the chapter having success? Is the series ending very soon or what? Other than that, I have a challenge: name at least three other psychometrician manga characters.
15. Me and Roboco: Not a bad concept for the chapter, but the culprit gave themselves away too quickly; an additional chapter of mistery would have helped. Somehow excited for the Multiverse arc movie coming out.
16. Kill Blue: I forgot why the King of Sales trophy was so important after all, but it's another step forward for the dominance of the Home EC club in a school full of absurd school clubs. For real, there is a club for everything in that school!
17. HunterXHunter: After being able to more and less understand what was going on for nine and a half chapters...in the final half I wasn't able to understand anything. Perfect timing for a new hiatus.
18. Undead Unluck: I should be happy for his appearence, but I don't remember how exactly his powers worked and how can he be useful in this situation. Actually I am not understanding much of this series lately.
19. Nue's Exorcist: Speaking of being confused...are we still going at it? What about the huge fight Gakuro had until now, wasn't it to not let her go away like this? Wasn't she convinced of that at the end of it? I feel like the latest ten weeks of development were wasted.
20. Hakutaku: Even the poor teacher gag isn't enough to save it fom being last place again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top