Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2025) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,404
Reaction score
39,110
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Moderator Notice:

WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP THREAD RULES​

1. No fights or personal insults.
2. No bait or troll comments with the intention of annoying or starting heated discussions, if i notice it, i will warn the user or delete the comment.
3. No toxic attitude towards series, no one is obligated to enjoy any series and it's totally fine to criticize what you don't like, just avoid posting gratuitous hateful or toxic comments about X or Y series, if i notice this behavior, comment will be deleted.
4. Don't bring politics or off-topic stuff to the thread, this is about Weekly Shonen Jump magazine and mangas, so keep any conversation about topics that aren't relate about anime & manga outside the thread.
5. Don't post news about series from other magazine or publishers in the WSJ thread, post in the series own thread, but it's fine if you're mentioning other series or magazine to express a opinion or reflection about Shonen Jump.
6. Any tweet, specially japanese, about news, update or some interesting thing about the magazine or series has to come with a text of what that tweet means and also be on topic, if not it's going to be either deleted or i will edit the post.
7. No self advertising or advertising Youtubers videos in the comments.
8. Fanart posts just for the sake of posting is prohibited, this rule doesn't apply for official art by Jump artists posted on social media, they're fine to post
9. Don't discuss or hype chapter spoilers before Sunday release, only comment if is related to a series surviving status and do it only inside the spoiler tag.
~ Shinuki


I hope everybody read these rules and follow it without problem, the comment will soon be sticked at the top of the thread to be visible in every page, so if any doubt about what to avoid doing, just check it, also if i feel like any new rule has to be added in the future, i will do. Thanks!

Obs: Rules about fanart edited!
 
Last edited:

defensor_de_boruto

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2024
Messages
2,073
Reaction score
1,976
Age
23
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ichi the Witch has been amazing, it does has that slow pace which makes you feel like the plot is not moving and we just doing side quests but overrall is really enjoayble and it will slowly start adding those serious elements which makes it a great read.
I'm happy that it has human majiks now, I wasn't liking the majiks that much
 
Last edited:

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,258
Reaction score
1,966
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I started to like Ichi a lot more after last week, and this week the plot has advanced even further. Maybe it is now that the true story kicks in.

Really liked Issho's first presentation in Akame too.

I feelike KGB could have slowed down the pace a bit more. But, well, it has been like that from the start, just like Sakamoto (that I'm loving as always).

Also, Witch Watch!!!
 

coldmess

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2022
Messages
528
Reaction score
531
Age
34
Country
United States
I think fans of Nishi are a lot more warm on Ichi than others. It reminds me of Iruma in that plot related arcs only happen like every 50 chapters.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't get why people seem to think Ichi is "boring" because it hasn't been fully focused on plot. Instead, having a lot of focus on world/character building, and comfy downtime/comedy.
Like, it feels like people only want wild fights and explosions out of their manga and don't have the attention span for anything else.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
As someone who merely likes Ichi rather than being fully taken by it I don't really care that it doesn't have fights I just haven't been super engaged by the world and characters lol. Don't think they're bad or anything, everything is base level likeable and I have a decent time reading it every week. I guess if I were to actually offer a criticism I do think there could be more push and pull to the Ichi and Ururo dynamic but mostly I can't really complain. I also liked the Iruma anime (though I fell off during the third season).
 

defensor_de_boruto

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2024
Messages
2,073
Reaction score
1,976
Age
23
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't get why people seem to think Ichi is "boring" because it hasn't been fully focused on plot. Instead, having a lot of focus on world/character building, and comfy downtime/comedy.
Like, it feels like people only want wild fights and explosions out of their manga and don't have the attention span for anything else.
tbh what kind drove me out of the manga was actually the majiks themselves. The comedy and worldbuild was on point, but I wish there was a different way to defeat the majik so they can capture them.

I don't like the fact that it has a "rule" that it needs to be followed so they can capture the majiks. I would like much more the old fight style with majiks... but that's just me

Maybe this will change with this human majik
 

icrawfish

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2024
Messages
775
Reaction score
1,237
Age
25
Country
United States
I think fans of Nishi are a lot more warm on Ichi than others. It reminds me of Iruma in that plot related arcs only happen like every 50 chapters.
I mean, if we take a step back here for a second; Ichi doesn't even have 15 chapters out yet, so we really have no idea what the 50's of chapters look like in scope. A ton of shonen start off with smaller mini-arcs to get the reader familiar with the typical story flow or the MC's gimmick before easing into the grander arcs, so I think there's no way we can say with confidence exactly what level of plot-focused vs. world-focused or character-focused Ichi is. I think I wouldn't be upset either way, there's enough fast-paced stories and 50 chapters per plot point stories in the magazine that Ichi doesn't need to make an effort to fill a need.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
As someone who merely likes Ichi rather than being fully taken by it I don't really care that it doesn't have fights I just haven't been super engaged by the world and characters lol. Don't think they're bad or anything, everything is base level likeable and I have a decent time reading it every week. I guess if I were to actually offer a criticism I do think there could be more push and pull to the Ichi and Ururo dynamic but mostly I can't really complain. I also liked the Iruma anime (though I fell off during the third season).
I can totally respect that. Personally, I was pretty caught from the beginning. Not like, in love with the series, but I definitely was engaged from the beginning. But it's totally fair to not click with the characters or world.
My irritation more comes from the "it's not all action and plot so it's boring" crowd. It's like, they're angry that the series isn't what they want it to be. Refusing to engage with the series as is.
It brings back memories from when One Piece first started getting brought over to the USA and that sort of shit was such a recurring attack from people online.
It's like, they think everything has to fit this specific mold or it's bad. Super annoying.

Tbh, you see it in other ways too. Like there's so many people who refuse to engage with Nue and think it's terrible simply because it has some light harem elements. I used to see it a lot with Beelzebub as well because of the comedy.
 
Last edited:

monstera11

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
1,982
Reaction score
1,632
Age
36
Country
Australia
Oh god, the whiplash that the anime is going to cause its gonna be ....... Chaos is best word to describe.

Anyhow, new week, time to discuss about one author, in particular, that many wish to see debut this year: Natsuki Osonoe.

Does you guys and gals think he will debut Tate Roll as a full series or will it be a completely different one? For the shock factor I would down for a completely new series as I feel like Tate Roll would be just a series that could end very shortly in comparison.

On the topic of authors: Could Hajime Komoto debut a new series in the magazine before Koyoharo Gotoge? I feel like he might.
I don't think Gotoge will ever comes back
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
But do you think it will be weekly in shonen jump?
Tbh, I think so. Kimetsu was her first series. Sure, she made a lot of money but she's still young enough that I can see her wanting to do another weekly series due to passion alone.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I also think a lot of people don't seem to recognize that Ichi seems to be aimed at a much younger audience than the other battle manga in the magazine atm.
 
Last edited:

Dongus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2023
Messages
1,489
Reaction score
4,805
Age
29
Country
Malaysia
I don't get why people seem to think Ichi is "boring" because it hasn't been fully focused on plot. Instead, having a lot of focus on world/character building, and comfy downtime/comedy.
Like, it feels like people only want wild fights and explosions out of their manga and don't have the attention span for anything else.
Well, let's have this discussion. I've spoken up that Ichi wasn't exactly doing it for me at first, but I do enjoy the current offerings now, especially given that it's seemingly moving into an actual arc with a possible antagonist.

I'm of the opinion that if Ichi was made by anyone else, it wouldn't see the same level of success it's experiencing right now. I love Usazaki, and I'm willing to put support in any endeavor she puts out. I've recently read a few chapters of Iruma. It's funny as hell. Talented authors, deserve all their flowers, now I'm gonna proceed to pretend their names aren't attached to this title.

First of all, what worldbuilding? What character building? I'll tell you straight up that there hasn't been any. The Ichi and the Descarass and the Kumugi we have now are the same characters we know them as upon introduction. There hasn't been any arc or development that explores or hints at their backstories or motivations or insecurities or secrets... Doing that within ten chapters may be too much to ask for, but we do have other manga that can slide it in. The only time we saw a flashback to any of them was for an explanation of why Ichi can make sashimi and a gag for Desscarass being the worst kid ever.

Worldbuilding? There are majik in the world and only women can wield them and they form witch associations... And that's it. That was chapter 1. There hasn't been anything added to that setting ever since. No specific histories to paint a picture of events that occurred in this world, no politics between associations... yet, but they're building to it. And no... overarching purpose to funnel things along. Ichi as a character has zero driving force in moving the plot, and just kinda gets bounced around by the forces around him. And the only thing he got to say about that is, "Yippee, another hunt!" (Gotta respect his love of the game)

Now you could tell me, give it time. But I would reply with, how many other manga were allotted the same amount of time to build up? How many manga have been axed just as they started showing the more interesting aspects of their plots or settings? If we follow that line of logic, it almost seems unfair that Ichi's doing as well as it does despite not doing anything much better than manga that get axed. Is there anything particularly special about it that would make me choose to spare it over say, Mamayuyu? Even the slow 'monster of the week' format would have me pointing at Ruirui Senki or Necromance. That said, Desscarass alone has more charisma than any of the characters in any of those mangas combined, so maybe that's reason enough?

I'm willing to forgive everything cause it's meant to be a comedy first, with no apparitions of being a battle shonen. That's fine by me. It's funny, and that's fine by me. I just think that if I would grade what we've got without any pretenses of authorship and so on, I would just grade it as alright or decent or pretty good, and nothing much more than that. I'm still much more in preference for Shinobi Undercover for this batch due to it having a lot more... pathos in relation to how it handles its cast and characters while still staying true to its comedy roots. I'm still waiting for Ichi to deliver onto me that pathos that really ties the main cast together on an emotional level... And it's a good thing it's doing well, cause I got all the time I need.

I spam you with this wall of text because I feel like strawmanning dissenters by saying that "they seem to only want wild fights and explosions out of their manga and don't have the attention span for anything else" is kinda rude, and I hope an opposing argument would bring fruitful discussion. Least help you see any areas where it's lacking. That said, if you're talking about some guy you saw yapping away on Twitter, then you're totally right and screw that guy even though I have no idea who he is or what he said. Screw that guy.
 

iker_03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2023
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
11,136
Age
22
Country
Spain
Weekly Shoseki Ranking Top 500 (12/2/24 - 12/8/24)
1. My Hero Academia #42
3. Kagurabachi #5
4. Blue Box #18
8. The Elusive Samurai #18
15. Mission: Yozakura Family #27
17. Nue's Exorcist #7
25. Astro Royale #3
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Weekly Shoseki Ranking Top 500
1. My Hero Academia #42
3. Kagurabachi #5
4. Blue Box #18
8. The Elusive Samurai #18
15. Mission: Yozakura Family #27
17. Nue's Exorcist #7
25. Astro Royale #3
75 Kagurabachi 4
76 Empyreal Cabinet, an exorcist series in jump+,
78 Kagurabachi 1

LIke Phantom Busters (which is 10th) another missed opportunity for Weekly Shonen Jump where incredibly well performing exorcist series are serialized elsewhere.

Editor in Chief must be kicking himself over these missed opportunities
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Well, let's have this discussion. I've spoken up that Ichi wasn't exactly doing it for me at first, but I do enjoy the current offerings now, especially given that it's seemingly moving into an actual arc with a possible antagonist.

I'm of the opinion that if Ichi was made by anyone else, it wouldn't see the same level of success it's experiencing right now. I love Usazaki, and I'm willing to put support in any endeavor she puts out. I've recently read a few chapters of Iruma. It's funny as hell. Talented authors, deserve all their flowers, now I'm gonna proceed to pretend their names aren't attached to this title.

First of all, what worldbuilding? What character building? I'll tell you straight up that there hasn't been any. The Ichi and the Descarass and the Kumugi we have now are the same characters we know them as upon introduction. There hasn't been any arc or development that explores or hints at their backstories or motivations or insecurities or secrets... Doing that within ten chapters may be too much to ask for, but we do have other manga that can slide it in. The only time we saw a flashback to any of them was for an explanation of why Ichi can make sashimi and a gag for Desscarass being the worst kid ever.

Worldbuilding? There are majik in the world and only women can wield them and they form witch associations... And that's it. That was chapter 1. There hasn't been anything added to that setting ever since. No specific histories to paint a picture of events that occurred in this world, no politics between associations... yet, but they're building to it. And no... overarching purpose to funnel things along. Ichi as a character has zero driving force in moving the plot, and just kinda gets bounced around by the forces around him. And the only thing he got to say about that is, "Yippee, another hunt!" (Gotta respect his love of the game)

Now you could tell me, give it time. But I would reply with, how many other manga were allotted the same amount of time to build up? How many manga have been axed just as they started showing the more interesting aspects of their plots or settings? If we follow that line of logic, it almost seems unfair that Ichi's doing as well as it does despite not doing anything much better than manga that get axed. Is there anything particularly special about it that would make me choose to spare it over say, Mamayuyu? Even the slow 'monster of the week' format would have me pointing at Ruirui Senki or Necromance. That said, Desscarass alone has more charisma than any of the characters in any of those mangas combined, so maybe that's reason enough?

I'm willing to forgive everything cause it's meant to be a comedy first, with no apparitions of being a battle shonen. That's fine by me. It's funny, and that's fine by me. I just think that if I would grade what we've got without any pretenses of authorship and so on, I would just grade it as alright or decent or pretty good, and nothing much more than that. I'm still much more in preference for Shinobi Undercover for this batch due to it having a lot more... pathos in relation to how it handles its cast and characters while still staying true to its comedy roots. I'm still waiting for Ichi to deliver onto me that pathos that really ties the main cast together on an emotional level... And it's a good thing it's doing well, cause I got all the time I need.

I spam you with this wall of text because I feel like strawmanning dissenters by saying that "they seem to only want wild fights and explosions out of their manga and don't have the attention span for anything else" is kinda rude, and I hope an opposing argument would bring fruitful discussion. Least help you see any areas where it's lacking. That said, if you're talking about some guy you saw yapping away on Twitter, then you're totally right and screw that guy even though I have no idea who he is or what he said. Screw that guy.
I don't disagree that there are things that the series can do better. And I likely could have used a term better than character building. I think I was going more towards showing the characters doing goofier basic sol things, showing off their personality and charm. Because as is, there really isn't much to the characters to really give them depth as of yet. Although I do think it is there, just yet to be explored.
World building however, I think is definitely there. Albiet rather basic and on the surface for now but clearly meant to be explored. The power structure of the government and what's been shown of it, alongside the Witch Queen chick and her sidekick leaves me feeling they clearly aren't the good guys. That alongside the emphasis that "only" women can be witches seems like something that isn't "actually" true, but what the government wants people to believe is true.
Yes, that example has of course been done in many other manga. But I don't need a new manga to do it differently, better, or even exceptional. I just need it to do it well. Which I feel Ichi has so far. Especially given it's clearly aimed at a younger audience than a lot of other Jump battle manga.
Plus, having a lot of charm in its world, characters, and presentation definitely helps which this series has in spades. Kind of like early Dragon Ball.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Weekly Shoseki Ranking Top 500
1. My Hero Academia #42
3. Kagurabachi #5
4. Blue Box #18
8. The Elusive Samurai #18
15. Mission: Yozakura Family #27
17. Nue's Exorcist #7
25. Astro Royale #3
31 of 42 hero academia volumes charted !!!!! 🥦 💥
 

KrenKren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
3,834
Age
21
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, what worldbuilding? What character building? I'll tell you straight up that there hasn't been any. The Ichi and the Descarass and the Kumugi we have now are the same characters we know them as upon introduction. There hasn't been any arc or development that explores or hints at their backstories or motivations or insecurities or secrets... Doing that within ten chapters may be too much to ask for, but we do have other manga that can slide it in. The only time we saw a flashback to any of them was for an explanation of why Ichi can make sashimi and a gag for Desscarass being the worst kid ever.
Yeah, Ichi is a fun series and all but whenever people talk about it having complex worldbuilding all I can think about is that one post on anime twitter with the KnY fan who confused the term world building with nice looking backgrounds. Lmao. Latest chapter cliffhanger gives me some hope though that we'll be getting a bit of lore soon. Not that I expect more from a series barely out of its infancy, but the main cast right now is seriously just a bundle of tropes. No problem with that inherently; it's just not very engaging. I also think it's kinda lame saying it's aimed at a younger audience as if that automatically excuses a lack of substance. Kids deserve well written manga too, damnit.

That said I love Kumugi and will happily shill Ichi at every turn so long as she's around.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Yeah, Ichi is a fun series and all but whenever people talk about it having complex worldbuilding all I can think about is that one post on anime twitter with the KnY fan who confused the term world building with nice looking backgrounds. Lmao. Latest chapter cliffhanger gives me some hope though that we'll be getting a bit of lore soon. Not that I expect more from a series barely out of its infancy, but the main cast right now is seriously just a bundle of tropes. No problem with that inherently; it's just not very engaging. I also think it's kinda lame saying it's aimed at a younger audience as if that automatically excuses a lack of substance. Kids deserve well written manga too, damnit.

That said I love Kumugi and will happily shill Ichi at every turn so long as she's around.
I never said "complex" worldbuilding. Just that it's more focused on that and chill character moments than plot and combat focused arcs. The world building is there, albiet basic.
Also, something being aimed at children doesn't mean it has to be low substance. Never said that either. I also wouldn't say that Ichi is entirely lacking substance either. Plus, with its breezy pacing, and how early in we are we can't say that it won't have more substance as it goes along.
However, even if there wasn't complex world building or characters, plenty of series aimed at adults and children are able to get by on charm, style, and fun alone and still be good.
 

Dongus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2023
Messages
1,489
Reaction score
4,805
Age
29
Country
Malaysia
World building however, I think is definitely there. Albiet rather basic and on the surface for now but clearly meant to be explored. The power structure of the government and what's been shown of it, alongside the Witch Queen chick and her sidekick leaves me feeling they clearly aren't the good guys. That alongside the emphasis that "only" women can be witches seems like something that isn't "actually" true, but what the government wants people to believe is true.
Yes, that example has of course been done in many other manga. But I don't need a new manga to do it differently, better, or even exceptional. I just need it to do it well. Which I feel Ichi has so far. Especially given it's clearly aimed at a younger audience than a lot of other Jump battle manga.
To this, I would say a lot of what you said is something you made up on your own. None of this is really in the text, and is subject to your interpretation. I could attempt to make Hakutaku interesting by saying there is a possibility of a government illuminati organization clamping down on aspiring indie devs in order to continue releasing AAA titles... It doesn't add anything since none of the text is in there and because I completely made it up.


Plus, having a lot of charm in its world, characters, and presentation definitely helps which this series has in spades. Kind of like early Dragon Ball.
To this...

...

I concede.

I never said "complex" worldbuilding. Just that it's more focused on that and chill character moments than plot and combat focused arcs. The world building is there, albiet basic.
Also, something being aimed at children doesn't mean it has to be low substance. Never said that either. I also wouldn't say that Ichi is entirely lacking substance either. Plus, with its breezy pacing, and how early in we are we can't say that it won't have more substance as it goes along.
However, even if there wasn't complex world building or characters, plenty of series aimed at adults and children are able to get by on charm, style, and fun alone and still be good.
But to this, I'd like to probe. Tell me on this substance you see. It might open my eyes and change my interpretation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top